PDA

View Full Version : Alfonso Soriano Glove

spartakid
03-14-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm sure some of you have seen this on ebay, and the seller could possibly be a member here, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think this is worth in terms of value? The glove's not authneticated, and it looks good to me, but what do you guys think? thank you, Ricardo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260371509114&Category=50117

RobSteinmetz
03-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Ricardo,

I did some digging on this glove, as I've been looking for a Soraino Mizuno OF glove for my personal collection. I would have paid the asking price, but I couldn't find any photos of Soriano using this style glove. I'm not saying this glove is no good, but every OF glove I've ever seen him use (even before he became a Cub) has a Trapeze style web and no wrist strap. The nickname embroidery is correct and the use looks nice, but the style is unusual. Anyone have any input?

Best,

joelsabi
03-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Ricardo,

I did some digging on this glove, as I've been looking for a Soraino Mizuno OF glove for my personal collection. I would have paid the asking price, but I couldn't find any photos of Soriano using this style glove. I'm not saying this glove is no good, but every OF glove I've ever seen him use (even before he became a Cub) has a Trapeze style web and no wrist strap. The nickname embroidery is correct and the use looks nice, but the style is unusual. Anyone have any input?

Best,

how old is this glove? whens the last time he played 2nd base?

spartakid
03-14-2009, 12:50 PM
THe auction doesn't say how old it is, so I don't know.

markize
03-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Ricardo,

Best,

Rob,

you know i was all over this when it was first listed (thanks also to Scott, and Nick for the emails). i searched tons of pics, but couldnt find any perfect style matches. i did see a few pics with the wrist strap, but the web was wrong, or there was no "el monstruo" embriodered on it. also, i have never seen any soriano gamers with "el monstruo" on them before 2008. i have a pair of cleats, and a pair of batting gloves with it, but both are 2008.

mark

spartakid
03-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll steer clear of this one, for that much money, I want to be 100% sure. Especially when there seems to be a good amount of mystery and doubt. Ricardo

markize
03-14-2009, 05:41 PM
how old is this glove? whens the last time he played 2nd base?

Joel,

Soriano hasn't played 2nd base since 2005 with the Rangers, with the exception of the WBC in 2006. I have checked the WBC pictures, and that's not the glove.

Mark

suave1477
03-14-2009, 07:16 PM
I am not sure of the glove, but I can tell you the seller is very credible.

I am not sure of how or where the glove was used by the seller get's a lot of items directly from the players or someone close to the players.

So I am just speaking on the sellers behalf I feel he is trust worthy.

And no I do not work for him or with him, I have no financial investment in his company or in this item.

suave1477
03-14-2009, 07:35 PM
I found some pictures of Soriano using a glove just like this and possily a photomatch.
Hard to tell if it is an exact match but I can tell you this everything matches up names, tagging, embroidery, location of embroidery.

markize
03-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Jason,

Can you email me with link or pics of the match?

Mark

markize
03-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Jason,

Mark

Oops.

sirfuzzy@comcast.net

Mark

joelsabi
03-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Joel,

Soriano hasn't played 2nd base since 2005 with the Rangers, with the exception of the WBC in 2006. I have checked the WBC pictures, and that's not the glove.

Mark

my friend in japan has a nonwebbed glove from when soriano was in texas. the logo is different now tho for mizuno gloves.

markize
03-14-2009, 09:02 PM
my friend in japan has a nonwebbed glove from when soriano was in texas. the logo is different now tho for mizuno gloves.

joel,

I would love to see pics. I just picked up one of his gloves from 2002-2003. I can't wait till it gets here!! Can you ask him to send pics, or can you send me some? Send to: sirfuzzy@comcast.net

mark

BaseballGM
03-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Here's a pic I took of AS back in 2006.

RobSteinmetz
03-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Jason,

This glove is identical to those typically used by Soriano with regard to the physical characteristics you mentioned (embroidery, labels, etc.). The difference I noticed was with the wrist strap and the style of web on the eBay glove. If you have a photo of Soriano using a Mizuno outfielders glove without a Trapeze-style web and with a wrist strap like that, I'd love to see it. Please email me at the address below, or post here.

Thanks in advance!

Best,

allstarsplus
03-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Jason,

Mark

Mark - Has anyone found some pics of this? That glove looks like it has seen a lot of use. Maybe a backup?

What's up with the sig? The "A" in Alfonso looks like he made an extra line and the S-O-R-I-A-N-O doesn't flow like other Soriano sigs I have. Maybe the pen wasn't working well.

RobSteinmetz
03-15-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm not an autograph expert by any means, but I know the "Alfonso So" autograph is relatively new and pretty much the only way he signs anymore. I heard many complaints at the Cubs Convention this year from people wanting a signature that included his entire name. The guys who do all the signings with Soriano told me that they instructed him to do this as a method of speeding up the signing process. Again, I don't analyze handwriting, but the signature looks like many others I've seen over the last year or two. With all that said, it is possible that this glove was retained as a backup or practice glove.

allstarsplus
03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm not an autograph expert by any means, but I know the "Alfonso So" autograph is relatively new and pretty much the only way he signs anymore. I heard many complaints at the Cubs Convention this year from people wanting a signature that included his entire name. The guys who do all the signings with Soriano told me that they instructed him to do this as a method of speeding up the signing process. Again, I don't analyze handwriting, but the signature looks like many others I've seen over the last year or two. With all that said, it is possible that this glove was retained as a backup or practice glove.

Rob - I was more talking about the "A" had 2 lines and the flow of the S---to the O. I am sure it is real, just looked like maybe the pen wasn't working and he had to start again.

Jason sent me a good link to show him using a similar glove. Like I said, maybe a backup?

http://www.uspresswire.com/search/fulltext/3007841

RobSteinmetz
03-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Still possible that it is a backup, but that photo (along with the others in that same series on US Presswire) show him using a similar glove with a Trapeze-style web (and no wrist strap) - the same style he typically uses in games. The eBay glove has a different style web with a wrist strap. Definitely not the same style glove.

markize
03-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Mark - Has anyone found some pics of this? That glove looks like it has seen a lot of use. Maybe a backup?

What's up with the sig? The "A" in Alfonso looks like he made an extra line and the S-O-R-I-A-N-O doesn't flow like other Soriano sigs I have. Maybe the pen wasn't working well.

Andrew,

The flow is a bit off, but I have seen that style signature too. I consider that his "free" version, as opposed to where he us paid, and signs the whole thing. I do, however, trust that Rob said the promoters rush him through a signing and that's why it looks that way.

Still possible that it is a backup, but that photo (along with the others in that same series on US Presswire) show him using a similar glove with a Trapeze-style web (and no wrist strap) - the same style he typically uses in games. The eBay glove has a different style web with a wrist strap. Definitely not the same style glove.

Rob,

You are correct. Jason was kind enough to send me those pics last night, and it is not the same glove. There is a white line above "el monstruo", and 2 below it in the us presswire photo, as well as the open area around his knuckles, both of which aren't present on the ebay glove. The ebay pictures show 3 "x's" where the leather holds the two sections together, which aren't present on the us presswire photos.

I did find a picture somewhere (Getty I think) with a wrist strap, but I can find it now. I will try to find it and email you. As I mentioned in a previous post, I haven't seen any "el monstruo" gamers before 2008. My guess is that this may be a "warm up" glove as those pictures from us presswire are all pregame pictures.

Mark

allstarsplus
03-15-2009, 04:43 PM

The "EL MONSTRUO" embroidery shown on that picture is a good sign that it was a glove most likely ordered by Alfonso Soriano.

Hopefully someone can find a picture of it to at least show he used it in BP or warmups.

http://www.uspresswire.com/search/fulltext/3007841

yanks12025
03-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Has anybody emailed the seller asking about it.

allstarsplus
03-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Andrew,

The flow is a bit off, but I have seen that style signature too. I consider that his "free" version, as opposed to where he us paid, and signs the whole thing. I do, however, trust that Rob said the promoters rush him through a signing and that's why it looks that way.

Mark

I understood this to be sourced from his brother which I thought would have a similar sig to most of his game used items on the market.

If it was signed at a game or Cubs Convention then I could understand the rushed look and the odd looking "A".

markize
03-15-2009, 04:57 PM
I understood this to be sourced from his brother which I thought would have a similar sig to most of his game used items on the market.

If it was signed at a game or Cubs Convention then I could understand the rushed look and the odd looking "A".

Andrew,

I just emailer you the same thing, but I was also under the impression it came from his brother. You make a good point about the "rushed" version of his signature though if it did come from his brother. As I said before, I have seen no "el monstruo" items before 2008. I thought it could be a warm up glove, but the us presswire photos show him during warm ups, and it's not the same glove.

Mark

suave1477
03-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Here is a photo I found of Soriano using a glove with out the Trapeze.

http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com/autographed/memorabilia/sports/collectibles/authentic/Baseball/8x10%20Photos/Alfonso_Soriano_Photo4_MID.jpg

suave1477
03-15-2009, 05:21 PM
While were on the topic here is Soriano's custom hummer

Ridiculous!!!

http://i17.tinypic.com/4lh8ld1.jpg

suave1477
03-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Here is a picture of Soriano using a glove saying "El Monstruo"
I know its a trapeze but it also shows he used a glove with that embroidery during a game.

http://woolis.com/images/2007SpringTR/07SpringTr03-17049Soriano.jpg

markize
03-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Here is a photo I found of Soriano using a glove with out the Trapeze.

http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com/autographed/memorabilia/sports/collectibles/authentic/Baseball/8x10%20Photos/Alfonso_Soriano_Photo4_MID.jpg

Jason,

Is that picture from 2001? I think I have seen that style glove from 2001, but I don't remember for sure.

Mark

suave1477
03-15-2009, 05:33 PM
I think it is from 2001, I was just doing a search on pics of Soriano.

markize
03-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Here is a picture of Soriano using a glove saying "El Monstruo"
I know its a trapeze but it also shows he used a glove with that embroidery during a game.

http://woolis.com/images/2007SpringTR/07SpringTr03-17049Soriano.jpg

Jason,

I stand corrected. I had never seen a gamers on the market with "el monstruo" from before 2008. Good detective work!

Mark

By the way.....that hummer shouldn't be hard to spot on the road! Cubs blue

joelsabi
03-16-2009, 10:43 AM
I found some pictures of Soriano using a glove just like this and possily a photomatch.
Hard to tell if it is an exact match but I can tell you this everything matches up names, tagging, embroidery, location of embroidery.

based on suave photos seems as tho this glove was used at least on june 30, 2008.

1) used during warmups or practice. soriano clearly has on his bp jersey on.
2) soriano was injured and did not play during this period from jun 11 to july 23.

RobSteinmetz
03-16-2009, 11:11 AM
The photos Jason provided (on US Presswire) show Soriano warming up with a glove with a Trapeze style web that has no wrist strap. The glove on eBay has a different style web with a wrist strap. It has the same Mizuno logos and nickname embroidery, but it's not the same style glove.