PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Tigers Help

AWA85
03-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Any of you big time Detroit Tigers collectors who have some knowledge on Tigers jerseys please shoot me an email. AWA85@live.com

Have a question or two for you!

AWA85
03-24-2009, 10:36 PM
You guys all helped me out through email on the last Cruz jersey and really appreciate it. Already purchased this second jersey and have an idea of what it is, but wanted to get input from the masters.

Comes with LOA from the Tigers saying it is a 97 jersey. 97 Cruz wore the number 37, and I believe that was the year they wore the Jackie Robinson patch. In 98 he switched over to the #8 instead of 37. Seller says you can tell there was a number change and a patch removed.

So would you say this was a 97 gamer, that was used in spring training the following year, or was it used in 98 games also? Shoot your ideas my way!

AWA85
03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Also while we are at it what do the last 2 number codes on the jersey tag stand for? Thank you!

larry bourget
03-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Yes 97 recycled for 98 ST

11 on the strip take is a inventory number.

LB

mbrieve
03-25-2009, 11:08 AM
This may be implied, but 1997 was the last year that the road jerseys were without the blue piping. In 1998, the blue piping is introduced.

I'm sure they would have had no problem recycling the 1997 gamers in spring training 1998...

I am going by the Dressed to the Nines website.

jppopma
03-27-2009, 11:38 PM
The tagging looks ok, yet I have never seen any Tigers jerseys with "game" written on the tagging. Also, the double sided tape where the patch was looks suspect. Check with the seller, that may have been put on the jersey after team control to put a patch back on it for display purposes. Good luck and congrats on finding these others.

Another option would be to go online and see the dealers that bought large lots of jerseys from the Tigers recently. Efr in Lansing, Kevin Savage, etc. Shoot them an e-mail and see if they happen to have a Cruz jersey for you. I'm not sure how many they purchased, but you may be able to snag one before they post it on Ebay.

mbrieve
03-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Another option would be to go online and see the dealers that bought large lots of jerseys from the Tigers recently. Efr in Lansing, Kevin Savage, etc. Shoot them an e-mail and see if they happen to have a Cruz jersey for you. I'm not sure how many they purchased, but you may be able to snag one before they post it on Ebay.

I'm pretty sure I saw this particular jersey listed by Kevin Savage on eBay...

larry bourget
03-28-2009, 09:20 AM
The tagging looks ok, yet I have never seen any Tigers jerseys with "game" written on the tagging. Also, the double sided tape where the patch was looks suspect. Check with the seller, that may have been put on the jersey after team control to put a patch back on it for display purposes. Good luck and congrats on finding these others.

There's nothing wrong with the Cruz, i have seen many removed Tigers 97 Robinson patched jersey's and that strip glue residue is consistant with all of them, and your likely to see any kind of notation in black marker on the jock tag or strip tag. Tigers did some weird things recycling jersey's.

LB

jppopma
03-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Larry, Thanks for the info on the 97 tag removal. Did they have the glue residue like that in other years as well? I just had not seen that on the ones I have come accross with patches removed (may not have been 97's). I agree that the Tigers did do alot of weird things over the years with recycling. As Marc is dumping all of these jerseys onto the market, it is coming even more into light. I just hope that it doesn't spark people to accept some that are less than legit.

I saw that AWA picked this up,. congrats! I was not implying there was anything wrong with the jersey, just pointing out a few things that I not come accross before. That's why we all chip in to paint the full picture.