PDA

View Full Version : AMI new auction thoughts?

lund6771
03-10-2009, 10:53 PM
looks like a few levels below a neighborhood garage sale to me!

Do you think that collectors are not looking to sell their items because of the economy or...

is this a direct reflection of their payment policies or lack there of

suicide_squeeze
03-10-2009, 11:13 PM
looks like a few levels below a neighborhood garage sale to me!

Do you think that collectors are not looking to sell their items because of the economy or...

is this a direct reflection of their payment policies or lack there of

No.....and YES.

You know, it's been a really bad year for the Ponzi-schemed based proprietors of the world.

Having the FBI shut down your shill bidding doesn't help.

Add that up, and what happens is you get one or two BAD months of returns for your consignors because of the "lack of juice"......who get smart quick and stop.

Bad returns and no new large amounts of consignments coming in for the future auctions are a double whammy. How are you going to pay off the other consignors without the fresh influx of artificial future sales to take from Peter to pay Paul?

Not to mention Keita's robust taste for those Vegas buffets. That all adds up, too.

I give them 6-9 months before they close the site. Their "gig" is up.

TriplexXxSports
03-11-2009, 06:40 AM
I had such a problem with them in their last auction that I will not use their site ever again, regardless of how bad I want or need an item. I have talked dozens of folks to stay far away from them. The problem I had with them is one of a hundred similar complaints. That's just SAD!

They did it to themselves. And you watch, they'll change face and start another house with a different name, and we will continue to see the same problems. I'm almost willing to bet the farm on that.

shoremen44
03-11-2009, 07:02 AM
After all the issues I had with them... I saw the new auction and it just made me laugh

dcgreg25
03-11-2009, 09:07 AM
It is a pretty weak collection of items with what appears to be a few decent items on the baseball side but very few jersey and lots of hats and jackets with the only authentication being the auction house COA and some black marker. On the football side, it looks like there were one or two consigners (or collections they purchased) responsible for a bunch of Seahawks jerseys and helmets. I will leave judgement on the quality of the helmets to the experts on here.

It seems that many of the auction houses are having trouble attracting quality items right now which will probably spell the end for at least a few of the houses. Hopefully the more reputable ones will survive the downturn and help to clean up that side of the hobby.

suave1477
03-11-2009, 09:41 AM
They have a couple of intresting items but some I either say to myself huh??? or what??? or how do you know???

For instance here are some examples

I am not a ManRam collector or expert but here is something I truley do not understand.
Look at these 2 items?
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=46265

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=46671

Now the first one is a game used bat (autographed) & (Inscribed WSC 07)
with a PSA/DNA LOA
Bidding starts at $690 and already has one bid.

Second bat is game used from the Monumental comeback season of 2004 (Autographed & Inscribed by Manny himself it is "Game Used") and on top of that comes with a PSA/ DNA LOA
Bidding starts at $100 and one bid

Can someone tell me what am I missing????

Now the Darrl Strawberry jacket, Gooden hat, Suzuki hat, Arod hat (Those are the ones I looked at) and I am sure there are more.
Can someone tell me other then a marker? How these are authenticated?

I have a Darryl Strawberry jacket which on the back has strawberrys name embroidered on the back, which I bout from a forum member here. Ibelieve it to be real because this was no common practice for a retail Jacket to have on it plus other things of the way this jacket was designed.
The AMI Jacket looks no different then a retail jacket.

I have a few other issues but no need for me to continue ranting I think we all get the idea....

dcgreg25
03-11-2009, 10:41 AM
My guess on the ManRam issue is that is just their new way of setting a reserve/minimum bid. I checked the site often yesterday to see the new items that were posted and when I looked there were already several items with bids like this.

As far as the jackets and hats, I completely agree and would have a tough time bidding on any of those items.

suicide_squeeze
03-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Doesn't anyone have a problem with the two COMPLETELY different style signatures Manny supposedly placed on these bats?

lowell25
03-12-2009, 01:45 PM
That Manny bat that is already at 690 started at 100 but someone placed a bid up to 690. I think it's higher than that now.

lowell25
03-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I have a problem with AMI, they don't the people who consign items with them. In July 08' I consign two items with them and December rolled around and still didn't get my money. Even their employees are creeps. I sold on ebay to an employee of AMI and the s o b didn't pay for 18 days after the auction ended.:mad:

suave1477
03-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Ok it is up to $759

Again I do not collect his bats and have never really followed his game used items.

Is that normal general market value or more for ManRam Game Used Bats?

mbrieve
03-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Doesn't anyone have a problem with the two COMPLETELY different style signatures Manny supposedly placed on these bats?
I'm not a Manny expert, but I believe he has a very inconsistent signature from what I have seen in the past. Can anyone back me up on that?

Not saying that the examples are authentic or not...

suicide_squeeze
03-17-2009, 02:14 PM
I had such a problem with them in their last auction that I will not use their site ever again, regardless of how bad I want or need an item. I have talked dozens of folks to stay far away from them. The problem I had with them is one of a hundred similar complaints. That's just SAD!

They did it to themselves. And you watch, they'll change face and start another house with a different name, and we will continue to see the same problems. I'm almost willing to bet the farm on that.

And to think.........some of us here when reading your first post as a new member on the forum thought you were in some way affiliated with them.:o

You just seemed so hyped up about their football items.....I remember it well. Seemed like a sales pitch.....not genuine interest. See how wrong some of us can be?

NOT ME of course.....but some of us.:p

TriplexXxSports
03-17-2009, 08:26 PM
And to think.........some of us here when reading your first post as a new member on the forum thought you were in some way affiliated with them.:o

You just seemed so hyped up about their football items.....I remember it well. Seemed like a sales pitch.....not genuine interest. See how wrong some of us can be?

NOT ME of course.....but some of us.:p

Of course not you! Kinda funny... I recall one member who said to cut me a break on my first thread, but I don't remember it being SS.....so maybe there are a couple more good guys on here. LMAO! But hey, all good! Thanks for the kind words Suicide!

They do have a couple items a year that tweek my interest.

Its just a shame they fell apart, well maybe not.

shoremen44
03-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Auction Madness - April 2009 - Vol 3 No 2

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/catalogs/catalog_th.jpg (http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/catalogs/catalog.jpg)

"Auction Madness"... as in you would have to be MAD to deal with us... or use our auction and you will end up MAD...

dcgreg25
03-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Auction Madness.......How about how "mad" Hanley Ramirez would be about them spelling his name wrong on the cover!!!!!!!! Seriously, at least proof the cover of your freaking magazine!!!