PDA

View Full Version : Sending a GU glove to be signed through the mail

sylbry
03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
The recent threads about game used gloves got me thinking, is it worth taking the risk and sending a glove TTM to be signed by the player. I have done this twice with jerseys. Prior to sending them I got permission to do so via a letter. And I would do the same with the glove.

The player is very good signing through the mail and I received a signed & personalized photo from him as recently as last Friday.

What makes me hesitant is gloves seem to be the most "personal" item out of all of the game used baseball gear. It might upset the player seeing his old glove arrive in his mailbox asking for a signature. Plus, I don't know the story on how he parted with it in the first place.

Best case: he signs the glove and inscribes it "game used" (the glove already comes with solid documentation so I am not looking for verification of its authenticity)

Worst case: I never see the glove again and am out a couple hundred

Would you take this risk? Looking for opinions.

suave1477
03-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Why not send him a letter first explaining to him what you have and what you would like to do and see if he responds back and how he reacts.

Something to the nature of : You would like to send a glove that he once used in his career as a baseball player and would you be so kindly to sign it for me - see how he responds!!

sylbry
03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I definately will send a letter asking for permission.

If he says yes I have two concerns:

1) It getting lost in the mail (minor concern)
2) Him seeing the glove and remembering something negative. Such as it was his lucky glove that one day disappeared from his locker or it was a glove the equipment manager lost, ect...

cjclong
03-09-2009, 02:17 PM
There is always a risk with the mail. I would see if you could Fed EX it and have the player return it the same way. And of course you need to insure it. And if it was a one of a kind thing that really meant a lot to you I would consider if it was worth the risk of loss to get it signed.

suave1477
03-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Well with the letter send him a pic of the glove.

Again try to see if you can feel him out by his reaction.

If he he writes back saying that was his favorite glove or that glove was very special to him. Then you may want to reconsider sending it, because as you said he may turn around and want to keep it. Unless in the long run you don't mind him taking the glove. As least it wasn't lost in the mail or stolen by a complete stranger, it was taken back by the original player.

If he responds back like : Wow great item you found of mine. Sure send it over I will sign it for you - Then I wouldn't see any harm in sending it.

If he responds with: That's not my glove!!
Then don't even bother sending it to him because even with the documentation that you have who knows how he will react to the glove once it's in his hands.

geoff
03-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I would for sure send him a Letter.Only because he might keep the Glove thinking someone is giving him a Glove he once Used no matter what the Letter States.Or just might keep the Glove because as another Member said also it could have been Stolen from him.

ndevlin
03-09-2009, 03:07 PM
[quote=suave1477;128356]Why not send him a letter first explaining to him what you have and what you would like to do and see if he responds back and how he reacts.quote]

Bingo!

Definitely write him first and tell him what you have and see how he reacts.

With all of the letters Ive sent and received, I always send them a letter first to see if they respond. I then ask if I could send a baseball or their book for them to sign. They almost always have no problem with it. But if I send someone two baseballs to sign, I give him 2 extra baseballs for him to keep and give to other fans. Just lets him know that I appreciate his time. Maybe you could throw something like that with your glove. They really do appreciate it!

After a while, you start a pretty good bond and pretty much send whatever you want. I send Erskine baseballs all the time, and make sure I give him equal value for what he signs. (2 balls for 2 balls). He's a great signer.

sylbry
03-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the advice. Good suggestions.

skyking26
03-09-2009, 06:05 PM
The recent threads about game used gloves got me thinking, is it worth taking the risk and sending a glove TTM to be signed by the player. I have done this twice with jerseys. Prior to sending them I got permission to do so via a letter. And I would do the same with the glove.

The player is very good signing through the mail and I received a signed & personalized photo from him as recently as last Friday.

What makes me hesitant is gloves seem to be the most "personal" item out of all of the game used baseball gear. It might upset the player seeing his old glove arrive in his mailbox asking for a signature. Plus, I don't know the story on how he parted with it in the first place.

Best case: he signs the glove and inscribes it "game used" (the glove already comes with solid documentation so I am not looking for verification of its authenticity)

Worst case: I never see the glove again and am out a couple hundred

Would you take this risk? Looking for opinions.
Never take the risk on a piece of value. Wait for them to do a signing whether public or mail order.