PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Help

TOYOTATruck07
03-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey guys, I am going to be at Hi-Corbett in the coming days for rockies spring training, Was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into where to go to get autos and things. Thanks for your help

xpress34
03-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey guys, I am going to be at Hi-Corbett in the coming days for rockies spring training, Was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into where to go to get autos and things. Thanks for your help

Hi Corbett Tips:

3400 E. Camino Campestre, Tucson, AZ 85716

1st - Your BEST entrance is off Broadway across from El Con Mall - you can also park at El Con and take a shuttle bus over. From Broadway go S on Randolph Way - it will take you right to the Hi Corbett Parking area and you can see the stadium ticket window from the intersection there of Randolph way and E Camino Campestre.

2nd - Go EARLY and catch the players (Most of the Majors and ALL of the Minors) working out on the practice fields... park at Hi Corbett (I suggest the West end of the parking lot) and you will see a park with ball fields West of you. Walk down there and you will see an entrance to the 4 practice fields w/ a Security Guard. You can walk up there and watch practices and catch players between fields for autos and such.

BUT, for most of the MLB guys - go PAST the Practice Quad to Field 5 right ahead of you. That is where they take early BP and do fielding drills and such - also where they play 'B' games against visiting teams (and they're FREE)... last year I watched the White Sox and Rox in a B Game and ended up standing in line behind Jim Thome for the Porta Potty!

Like any MLB park, any ball that leaves the field is fair game...

As far as getting autos at Hi Corbett itself... at the end of the 1st Base stands, there is a little grassy area where some players picnic with there wives and kids (it is fenced in - you can't go in there), but between that and the stands is a walkway... at the end of the walkway they will set up stanchions and form a queue and players will stop either after the game or on their way back and forth from the clughouse entrance right there and the grassy picnic area.

When you are standing there, notice the entrance gate to the park behind you. If you wait outside that gate, it's a good spot to get a lot of players as well. A few guys park inside the 'protected area", but most park right there outside that gate... in fact two years ago we got George Brett when the Royals were in town because he came out with Hurdle and Quirk (They all played together in KC)...

Let me know if you need any other info...

- Chris

xpress34
03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
BTW - when are you going to be there???

My ST trip is Wed 18th (I land in Phoenix that evening) through Tues 24th (I fly out of Phoenix that evening)... the $100+ I save each way by flying into Phoenix vs Tucson basically pays for my rental car.

- Chris

TOYOTATruck07
03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Oh Im here right now, spring break for my school is this week. Caught the diamondbacks and padres just now, Tomorrow I will be in the Rockies clubhouse prior to the game with the group I came down with. We have some connections with the ownership through our school. Wednesday we will be in the Diamondbacks clubhouse early in the morning as well.

TOYOTATruck07
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Chris, Just wanted to thank you for your advice, We were able to get sig's from everyone including tulo, helton, atkins, barmes and picked up Holliday wince the A's were playing the rocks today. Thanks!

xpress34
03-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Chris, Just wanted to thank you for your advice, We were able to get sig's from everyone including tulo, helton, atkins, barmes and picked up Holliday wince the A's were playing the rocks today. Thanks!

Excellent!!! How was Todd? He can be kind of 'gruff' sometimes...

Did you get them all at Hi-Corbett (at the 'queue') or were you able to get any at the Practice fields...

Just trying to get a feel for this year's 'patterns'...

- Chris
xpress34@comcast.net

P.S. -

What did you get them on???

TOYOTATruck07
03-10-2009, 11:04 PM
We had the tour stuff of Tucson Electric Park with the diamondbacks this morning so I couldn't get over there before the game. All were at Hi-Corbett, some were at the line, tulo and atkins were in the fenced in grass area for the families. Todd didn't say much of anything at all. just signed and left. Everyone else was more than happy to sign for everyone there. Just an added tidbit, the guy in charge of the Diamondbacks spring training operations has quite a nice game used bat collection from numerous star players.

xpress34
03-11-2009, 07:36 AM
We had the tour stuff of Tucson Electric Park with the diamondbacks this morning so I couldn't get over there before the game. All were at Hi-Corbett, some were at the line, tulo and atkins were in the fenced in grass area for the families. Todd didn't say much of anything at all. just signed and left. Everyone else was more than happy to sign for everyone there. Just an added tidbit, the guy in charge of the Diamondbacks spring training operations has quite a nice game used bat collection from numerous star players.

Cool. That's about par for Todd. He's a pretty quiet guy - and doesn't always look happy when he's signing. Gives some people who have never met him the idea that he's either 'gruff' or not interested... he's kind of hard to get to talk sometimes...

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

All the best -

Chris