PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about overpaying for an item?

jetersbatboy
03-09-2009, 01:27 AM
I just picked up a bat from a 1 year major leaguer with a .127 batting avg. and 39 at bats. I really over paid $257, but I couldn't be happier. Its something I really wanted. So how do you guys feel about "overpaying" for an item you really want? I mean an item thats far and few between of a scrub you just have to have.

chakes89
03-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Who was it?

brianborsch
03-09-2009, 01:36 AM
Hey Scott,

I think everyone does this at some level. It just depends on how bad you want an item. You better make sure you really want it, because re-sale is a bitch! Typically people are not buying for investment purposes. Like in your case, they are buying to complete a collection of some sort.

Brian B

jetersbatboy
03-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Norihiro Nakamura and its a spring training bat !!!:eek:

chakes89
03-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Who the heck is that?

eGameUsed
03-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Scott,

The bat is only worth what you are willing to pay. If someone would have paid $300 or higher for the same bat, you technically would have not overpaid since you didn't get it. Here is an example along your collecting theme - the Astros received and sold 2 Kazuo Matsui Nike bats last year. Both sold within minutes for $1500 each. They have a wait list for more! Even though I believe $1500 to be high, that is what the market demands, at least for now. Since Kaz purchases his own bats, the Astros don't necessarily receive them all, making supply very short.

If you got a bat that you truly enjoy, then sounds like you paid the right amount. I have paid well more than others would for bats, but I had a motive in most cases because of something I knew or a missing hole in my collection. That is what collecting is about.

jetersbatboy
03-09-2009, 01:41 AM
I forgot to mention it's NPBL bat that he used in 2004 spring training, Oh and he didn't play in the MLB until 05.

jetersbatboy
03-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Norihiro is a fat 3rd baseman that played for the Dodgers in 04 spring training and then played for them in the 05 regular season.

jetersbatboy
03-09-2009, 01:56 AM
If you got a bat that you truly enjoy, then sounds like you paid the right amount. I have paid well more than others would for bats, but I had a motive in most cases because of something I knew or a missing hole in my collection. That is what collecting is about.
I thought this would be the hardest bat to find, but I got lucky!!! So I will enjoy it when it gets here!!! I wouldnt say right amount but, but I paid it so it was good enough!!

markize
03-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Scott,

Just remember if you got a piece that was on your list, and if it was rare to you it must have been rare to other collectors as well. Maybe that's why the price got higher than you would have wanted or maybe should have been. I know your happy with it though, so congrats! One down, tons more to go.

Mark

suicide_squeeze
03-09-2009, 11:26 AM
How do I feel about overpaying for an item?

Hmmmmm.......that's an easy one.

Right at home.

It's the story of my collecting life, because it seems that EVERYTHING I want is what everybody ELSE wants too.:mad:

skyking26
03-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Awesome topic. All of us that have eventually graduated to game used from cards, oddball and autographs, are very passionate about the hobby. That said, there are any number of items I know for a fact I've overpaid for; but in the end at the end of the day - if it is something that ws not replaceable...there is no remorse.

Example: I was involved in multiple transactions in 08 regarding Kingman game used. I was stupid to let a few pieces get away. After 12 months they surfaced again. I had a second chance to buy them.....at $900 more than I could have paid earlier! Many would walk, but the items were a 77 Yankees jacket (WS YEAR) and a gamer glove I photomatched to a game in 74 with the Giants. I made a $900 mistake many here would not make or would not pay at second chance, but my only regret is personal stupidity. That said, I'm also not a bank and can't afford it all at once. Sucks I was penalized for such, but what'ya gonna do?

RK

tbone90
03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
If you're enthusiastic and truly enjoy what you're collecting then overpaying isn't an issue in my book. We've all done it... and I probably will again too once the baseball season gets rolling. If the bat is one that's been on my want list for a long time I'm too excited to have buyers remorse about overpaying.

Fnazxc0114
03-09-2009, 01:43 PM
i might be a sucker but i generally over pay for all my items. most stuff i have to get from the team. go rangers. they have stuff on ebay that you can get good deals on but when was the last time you saw a kinsler/davis/young g/u bat.

nationals2k9
03-09-2009, 01:53 PM
I absolutely love paying too much for things! My favorite is when I have to watch my eating and drinking habits for weeks on end after the respective purchase...

In all seriousness I agree it comes down to how much the item is valued to you the buyer. There is also an element of who you are and how you go about acquiring your game used. Without a doubt, we're all going to overpay for something hot on Ebay that the whole world can see... but may get a "deal" on the same item if we "know someone."

nationals2k9
03-09-2009, 01:54 PM
i might be a sucker but i generally over pay for all my items. most stuff i have to get from the team. go rangers. they have stuff on ebay that you can get good deals on but when was the last time you saw a kinsler/davis/young g/u bat.

I sold 3 Kinsler bats on Ebay in the last month - but I'm awesome so it doesn't count...

Fnazxc0114
03-09-2009, 02:33 PM
i saw those but i already have one.

nationals2k9
03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm just joking around. Kinsler is tough to find. Hoping he has a full season break-out this year!

nationals2k9
03-09-2009, 03:02 PM
And I kept the best of the 3 I picked up... along with g/u glove and rookie ST jersey. Had to make some $ back to support my recent Manny addiction. :o

Fnazxc0114
03-09-2009, 09:33 PM
if you ever want to part with the glove lmk. jgrogers1978@yahoo.com just think with the profit you could make you could by more manny bats. lol

allstarsplus
03-09-2009, 09:54 PM
The worst has to be the guy that paid $20,000 Retail for one of the first Yankees Steiner game used jerseys of Roger Clemens that came available when they first released the game used jerseys.

Second to that is I was the idiot who lost several thousand selling a game used Clemens jersey at one of the big auction houses (discussed before). You win some you lose some. :rolleyes:

Rboitano
03-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Who was the person that paid $3200 for a Jeff Bagwell jersey? They could probably comment on what it feels like to overpay for an item.

jetersbatboy
03-09-2009, 09:58 PM
The worst has to be the guy that paid $20,000 Retail for one of the first Yankees Steiner game used jerseys of Roger Clemens that came available when they first released the game used jerseys.

Second to that is I was the idiot who lost several thousand selling a game used Clemens jersey at one of the big auction houses (discussed before). You win some you lose some. :rolleyes:

Andrew,
I hope that wasn't you??:eek:

allstarsplus
03-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Andrew,
I hope that wasn't you??:eek:

I was drinking that early Kool-Aid but didn't pay $20,000 for a Clemens. I was buying Clemens, Soriano and Wang and lower level guys at the time.

Do any of you remember what some of those first Jeter and Matsui jerseys were going for?