PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wieters Jersey

shoremen44
03-06-2009, 03:10 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220373214100

$355 in like a day... 14 bids... mostly from a couple of guys with no history...

very fishy to me

MarinersFan34
03-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Can you explain what you mean by it being very fishy?

I have no idea who Wieters is, but I've heard his name often tossed around by prospectors in the card hobby. The same thing is going on with gu items now, they spend hundreds of dollars on a guy who could either be a HOF'er or the next Willie Bloomquist. Most prospectors will bid fairly high, hoping to cash in later when the player does something big or goes on a tear. I'd guess those zero bidders are kids playing around on eBay. Which does suck for the high bidder but there's not much that can be done about it.

mr.miracle
03-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Can you explain what you mean by it being very fishy?

I have no idea who Wieters is, but I've heard his name often tossed around by prospectors in the card hobby. The same thing is going on with gu items now, they spend hundreds of dollars on a guy who could either be a HOF'er or the next Willie Bloomquist. Most prospectors will bid fairly high, hoping to cash in later when the player does something big or goes on a tear. I'd guess those zero bidders are kids playing around on eBay. Which does suck for the high bidder but there's not much that can be done about it.

Wieters is the #1 ranked prospect in the minors in baseball. For once the Orioles actually have someone worth talking about!

allstarsplus
03-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Wieters is the #1 ranked prospect in the minors in baseball. For once the Orioles actually have someone worth talking about!

Yep, let's see if he is ROY material when he it counts! He is certainly having a good Spring Training.

chakes89
03-07-2009, 11:34 PM
It's the first major piece of his GU memorabilia to hit the open market (eBay)

Im not surprised at all by the early high bidding

shoremen44
03-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm not surprised by the price... but two bidders with zero feedback?

mr.miracle
03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
It's the first major piece of his GU memorabilia to hit the open market (eBay)

Im not surprised at all by the early high bidding

I could be wrong, but I believe that at the time what was reported to be a Wieters game used batting helmet and a set of catchers gear was on ebay about six months to a year ago. Someone is currently also selling what is reportedly a Bowie Baysox game used Wieters autograhed batting helmet on ebay right now. This may however be the first game worn jersey of his sold on ebay however.

eagles33
03-10-2009, 04:52 PM
I wanted to respond to the issue of the zero-feedback bidders as I work for the league as Director of Merchandising and am overseeing all merchandise/memorabilia sales, including all game-worn jersey matters.

Certainly, I understand how suspicion may arise from the fact that we had two zero-feedback bidders in the early running for this item. I did email both of these bidders to make sure everything was on the up-and-up, and from the dialogue I've had with them, I have no reason to suspect anything fishy. Based on the level of communication we had with them, the information shared, as well as the fact that they were not using free email services such as Hotmail, Yahoo, etc, I am comfortable with them being legitimate bidders.

I'd also like to unequivocally state that we do not sanction "shill bidding" in any form, and that collectors should rest assured that these are legitimate bidders, and not any sort of artificial price inflation.

Being that this is one of, if not the first jersey offered of Wieters, I don't think it's totally surprising to see a lot of early action and involvement by newly-registered bidders, given his caliber and the hype surrounding him. Again, I understand and appreciate the cause of suspicion but at the same time, being a newly-registered member shouldn't necessarily cast an immediate veil of guilt over someone. Furthermore, in an effort to curb illegitimate bidding, we set up several buyer requirements, such as having unpaid bidder strikes, net negative feedback, et al. I'm hoping the steps we took helped to alleviate any concerns by other collectors.

On a personal note, I am a collector myself, and have made it a point to be as thorough as possible in researching these items and ensuring that we're addressing things that are important to collectors. I have been a member of the league's front office since 2006, so I am very familiar with these jerseys and the players who wore them (including times when we had number changes or other things that might not be stated in a stat sheet). In other words, it's not as though this has been handed off to an intern who doesn't know anything about game worn items and is just looking to push product.

By that token, I know that reputation goes a long way in this hobby, and while I'm not particularly established as a baseball collector, I am an active hockey collector and would like to think that a lot of members in that community (or on the gameworn.net) boards would be familiar with me. Given my involvement in and enjoyment for the hobby, I would not compromise the personal reputation I've built over the years by engaging in unscrupulous practices with my employer. If anything, I feel fortunate to be able to apply my knowledge from the hobby to my day job, and am striving to establish a game worn jersey program for the league that is one of the most thorough and comprehensive when compared to those of other professional teams.

Please feel free to contact me directly at my work address, kurt@hawaiiwinterbaseball.com, if there are any questions.

Thanks,

Kurt Zwald

mr.miracle
03-13-2009, 09:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220373214100

$861.00 for a minor leaguer that has never played a single game of pro ball. Lets hope Matt works out or someone will be losing a ton of money.

harleighb
03-13-2009, 11:23 PM
One of Wieters' Team USA jerseys went for $1,760 at an MLB auction, so I don't find the price for this jersey all that surprising.

mr.miracle
03-14-2009, 10:04 AM
One of Wieters' Team USA jerseys went for $1,760 at an MLB auction, so I don't find the price for this jersey all that surprising.

There are probably about ten total current major league stars that I would consider paying that kind of money for a legit jersey. so for someone who has never even played a big league game it is just more of the same. We see this time and time again. Overpay on projection and promise of future return. I see that all the time in the stock market and it generally works out about 1 100th of the time.

shoremen44
03-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Thats the problem with high end prospects... while O's fans (like me) are looking forward to collecting possibly a great O's player... everyone else simply is looking to make money.

If I had bought that jersey and Wieters turned out to be a future HOFer I would hang that jersey proudly in my office... while most people would turn it for a profit...

I guess thats just the problem with collecting...

mr.miracle
03-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Thats the problem with high end prospects... while O's fans (like me) are looking forward to collecting possibly a great O's player... everyone else simply is looking to make money.

If I had bought that jersey and Wieters turned out to be a future HOFer I would hang that jersey proudly in my office... while most people would turn it for a profit...

I guess thats just the problem with collecting...

Great point Bert, you are right on that. The Orioles have not had a prospect like this in years. Now of course you take the top ranked prospect in minor league baseball which you and I as Orioles fans would just like to collect but everyone else is trying to turn these things for a huge profit in most cases. I would like to get a Wieters jersey or bat but am I paying $1700 plus for a Team USA gamer? Absolutely no way. I hope he has a great career but I am not paying insane prices on future promise that may or may not be realized.

geoff
03-14-2009, 11:53 AM
BPH had a Game Used Bat this past Season for $275.00.I almost bought it but at that time could not do so.It sold a few Days later when I returned to his site to look at the Bat again.I can't wait now to get some Game Used Gear of his.

treant985
03-14-2009, 06:48 PM
I used to not track the minors very much but decided to start paying attention last summer. I saw Wieters play a few games and really liked his skill and he was very friendly with all the fans. So I started watching ebay for some of his game-used stuff.

That was last June, and I've only seen two of his game used bats come up. The first was his standard blond Rawlings, but the seller wanted like $500 for it (I think the best offer ended up around $420 or something). Or maybe it was $400 and $320. Either way, I didn't think it was worth it.

Anyway, since then the only other one I've seen was a D-Bat that had good documentation but not much use. I was able to jump on that one (buy it now) but of course I'd really like a Rawlings since that's his standard bat.

Now that's the 'official' top prospect, everyone knows about him, so I have a feeling that maybe his gear will come up for sale a little more often but still fetch pretty high prices. I'm currently trying to buy one of his minor lg jerseys, and it may end putting me back close to $1000...

treant985
03-14-2009, 06:50 PM
BPH had a Game Used Bat this past Season for $275.00.I almost bought it but at that time could not do so.It sold a few Days later when I returned to his site to look at the Bat again.I can't wait now to get some Game Used Gear of his.

Sorry if it's common knowledge or easily found, but do you have BPH's site's URL handy?

treant985
03-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Sorry if it's common knowledge or easily found, but do you have BPH's site's URL handy?

Nevermind...I found it.