PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a game used item

JasonBanz
03-02-2009, 09:16 AM
What's your take on repairing a game used item? I'm not talking about a bat or jersey that was broken or ripped during game use. I'm talking about something like a helmet pad that have come off and would look better for display reasons. What do you think?

skipcarayislegend
03-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Jason,
FWIW, I once sold a g/u batting helmet w/missing padding to a well-respected dealer. A week or so later, the dealer listed the same helmet but with full padding for sale on ebay. Nothing was mentioned about the new pads.

Was I bothered by that? Not really. A little surprised, maybe. I would've mentioned it myself. But the padding he used was correct and in fact showed good wear and blended perfectly with the original pads. The current owner of this helmet has no idea that half of the interior pads are not original.

Bottom line for me is that I would rather have padding than none at all, even if it's not original--but as long as it's the correct style. Replacement pads aren't necessarily a deal-breaker for me personally; I would just want to know up front if they weren't original.

JasonBanz
03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks! The reason I ask is I am looking at a football helmet and the fastener broke and the pad is almost hanging, I was thinking about just putting a piece of heavy duty velcro and keeping it intact. Thanks for your input!

KittyJoseph
03-03-2009, 02:25 AM
you were thinking right.

JasonBanz
03-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Ok, thanks for the input!