PDA

View Full Version : Credibility check on a fellow member....

suicide_squeeze
02-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Hello forum members,

I am just doing my due diligence in asking......I have been in a detailed conversation with a fellow member you all most likely have heard from and see post here. He answered my "Items wanted" thread about an Eddie Murray home run ball. The emails started out real promising, but somewhere along the line, they headed a bit South, and became quite questionable in my mind. In fact, I would say they ended up being completely self-serving. I would like to know if I am way off base, or my instincts are correct. I may never know, and may have to just go with my gut feelings in the direction I am comfy with, so I am appealing for a bit of help.

Does anyone here know of Tom Murray, aka GarkoCollector, or has anyone here ever dealt with him before? Any feedback you could provide me into this guy's character would be very welcome and appreciated.

Tom will no doubt see this thread, and I want him to understand I am someone who, after all of our conversations, would just like to be comfortable doing my "homework" before I consider buying a ball that he claims to have access to. If he is legit, he should have no problem at all with this thread.

You can post your comments here......or email me at suicide_squeeze@roadrunner.com if that would make you more comfortable. Any comments I get will be held in the strictest of confidence......you all have my promise on that.

Regards,

Steve

markize
02-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Steve,

First let me say, I have never been involved with a transaction with Tom. We have exchanged several emails, and from what I gather (again, my personal experience), he seems like a stand up guy to me. While this may not help you from a business/purchase standpoint, I hope it gets you started. If you are asking on whether he will deliver an item you pay for, I would lean toward the "yes" side. Good luck.

Mark

suicide_squeeze
02-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Thank you very much for the feedback, Mark.

I just want to say I was divided on whether to even post this question here. I certainly am not in the practice of inviting "drama" to the board, and I don't think it's a noble thing to air out private conversations had off the board site......unless there is something criminal involved (which is not the case here).

I just want to believe that what he has represented to me is real, but the authenticity "value" of it has fallen way short of expectations.......so I was looking for any positive or negative feedback on the guys basic honesty to help me make a decision.

Once again, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Any others?

Regards,

Steve

flaco1801
02-27-2009, 11:17 AM
lets turn the table here a minute... has anybody dealt with suicide squeeze?.. this thread is trouble

trsent
02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
lets turn the table here a minute... has anybody dealt with suicide squeeze?.. this thread is trouble

Wasn't it Billy Martin who was the king of the suicide squeeze?

Wasn't it Jake Taylor who used a suicide squeeze to help The Indians win The Pennant?

suicide_squeeze
02-27-2009, 11:40 AM

Hey flaco1801........care to explain?

What trouble is there in this thread? You lost me?

I am a collector. I don't sell much at all......unless I am "upgrading".

I sell on ebay under the same name, but not very often. Feel free to check out my feedback.

I was not the one who contacted someone who listed an item they were in search of on the "Items wanted" thread. I was answered. And quite frankly, I think I'm being offered a fake item, because the way the answers to my questions kept coming back ALL just seemed to fit nice and comfortably into the benefit of the guy who contacted me. And, I was sent pictures. The pictures show an item that looks like it has NEVER had contact with a baseball bat, a pitcher's hand, the ground, seats, or anywhere else it supposedly rattled around after Eddie Murray hit it for a home run. The ball, although appearing to be "rubbed up" with some kind of dirt, looks pristene.

I'm just looking for some constructive feedback on the character of the guy mentioned. If you don't have any, then why bother?

Any time you want to step up to the plate and question my integrity, start your own thread. I welcome it.

flaco1801
02-27-2009, 12:01 PM
this is where the trouble starts... now you say you THINK its a fake... you have never seen the ball up close and u have the nerve to say it COULD be fake... just aint right pal.... ive seen plenty of balls that were pristine that went into the stands.. they only change balls every pitch nowadays..

camarokids
02-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Nothing against Tom here....as far as I know he is honest.

But, I would not buy a game used baseball period, unless maybe its MLB authentic, even then who knows......MLB screws up all the time....

Or I might buy one if it is cheap enough, therefor who would bother to fake such an item??? Even then who do you trust?????

How do you know it the said ball it is supposed to be?????

Unless the person is caught on video catching the said ball, even then, how do you know the ball was not swapped?????

Look for something else to spend your money on.

Now if it a hologrammed like they did for Bonds HR run.....then you have some proof.....

Too much room for error and getting burned in this area......

Buy a Eddie Murray game used bat....

ndevlin
02-27-2009, 12:46 PM

Man, if I responded to somebodies want list and they are questioning my item, I would be really pissed if someone called me out like this.

If you dont want the ball, dont buy it. If you are questioning it, is it really worth buying it, let alone ruining someones reputation as a buyer?

I dont know him or delt with him, but how do you think this makes him look or feel?

The proper thing probably wouldve been to do is paste the picture of the ball so all of us can see, without mentioning who the ball even belonged to. You'd still get your opinions without hurting someones name. If you think its fake, why bother. Look for something you think is real.

camarokids
02-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Nate,
As usual very well said. I agree.

That is why you are/were nominated for the 2008 GUU Award for "Most Likely to Tell It Like It Is" :D......

I would like to add, most game used items speak for themselves (I am weary of game used baseballs). Meaning the item is what it is!

Doesn't matter who is selling it.

As long as they ship the item and you receive it.

Then again, just use you credit card on paypal and if you do not receive it file a complaint and/or dispute the charge with your CC company...

GarkoCollector
02-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Steve,
If you dont want the ball, its fine by me. I'd be perfectly happy keeping it. I offered plenty of info on the ball for you, taking great amount of my personal time getting things together for you, which initially was a deal to be between you an a friend of mine that owns the ball. Since we are putting things in the open, I'll put them in the open. I had no idea he would just give me the authority to deal the ball as my own. I told you in advance he had plenty of info that could back up the ball. You seemend fine with all of that.

As far as the ball being "pristine", looking through archives, Murray hit an 0-1 pitch for a HR. The prior pitch was a foul ball. That means it was a new ball put into play. There is a mark on the ball where it was hit, but 1 swing of a bat isnt going to do a terrible amount of damage. If you wanted a "battered HR Ball" then it might have been better to be more specific.

I dont mind the check as I would want to be certain as well, but the provenance on this thing has everything but a video of him getting the ball after it was hit. I have just a few people here that I have issues with, and I am sure they might chime in, but again, I contacted you to deal the ball as something that belonged to a friend.

Should you care to resume talks via email, you know how to reach me. Otherwise, I'm more than happy to buy a UV coated ball holder and put it out for anyone to see. Regardless of who owns it, its bound to be a conversation starter.

Regards,
Tom

GarkoCollector
02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Man, if I responded to somebodies want list and they are questioning my item, I would be really pissed if someone called me out like this.

If you dont want the ball, dont buy it. If you are questioning it, is it really worth buying it, let alone ruining someones reputation as a buyer?

I dont know him or delt with him, but how do you think this makes him look or feel?

The proper thing probably wouldve been to do is paste the picture of the ball so all of us can see, without mentioning who the ball even belonged to. You'd still get your opinions without hurting someones name. If you think its fake, why bother. Look for something you think is real.

Just to provide a few responses, the ball is from 1985, so theres no MLB hologram sticker on it. I dont know much about getting it authenticated either. Anyone that could lead me on that one, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I do feel like I'm being called out here, and after all of the work I did to get the information on the ball, I'm not sure why my efforts to help a fellow collector are being used against me, but again, it is what it is and I am perfectly happy keeping the ball for myself.

Nothing against Tom here....as far as I know he is honest.

But, I would not buy a game used baseball period, unless maybe its MLB authentic, even then who knows......MLB screws up all the time....

Or I might buy one if it is cheap enough, therefor who would bother to fake such an item??? Even then who do you trust?????

How do you know it the said ball it is supposed to be?????

Unless the person is caught on video catching the said ball, even then, how do you know the ball was not swapped?????

Look for something else to spend your money on.

Now if it a hologrammed like they did for Bonds HR run.....then you have some proof.....

Too much room for error and getting burned in this area......

Buy a Eddie Murray game used bat....

This was my issue. Why fake an Eddie Murray ball? Why not a Bonds, Pujols, McGwire or something high end? I agree that holograms help a lot, but for a ball from 85, I dont think theres much I can do with that. I take no offense at all to your questions/concerns.

ultimetfan
02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi Guys,

For what its worth, I have dealt with Tom, and he was professional, forthright, and a pleasure to deal with.

If you have a question about the item, you should pass, no matter who the seller is. Just my .02

tigerdale
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Just for what its worth....I have multiple home run baseballs that are MLB authentic....some are very rubed up & used w/ marks, others look barely even rubbed up.....they all very greatly.

suicide_squeeze
02-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Tom,

Yes, you can keep the ball.

You can keep it, because it isn't what your friend is telling you it is.

You know, the friend who magically kept coming up with the info that I was asking about?

The friend who didn't want to part with it?

The friend who then, was considering it after I threw a figure out there?

The same friend that then, went from not wanting to part with it, to then just "giving it to you to deal with it as you wished"? Hmmm....

The VERY same friend who wasn't sure what YEAR it was hit, then miraculously came up with remembering the day, the game, everything, because he seemed to remember about a "fender-bender" the same day, so he WOULD in fact be able to pinpoint the home run......keeping our negotiations intact.......? Nice touch......

But the best kept rolling in. Hell, once we had the "letter of authenticity" agreed on that he would "eventually" put together with all the facts, and how he was a vendor working at the games (but earlier he was an "Orioles apprentice who was at the game sweeping the stairs of the bullpen, not a payrolled employee".....wow, quite a jump!), then I asked that all he needed to do what have it "notarized".

You asked how that worked, and I explained it to you. Suddenly, your friend is (just after recently moving, and unboxing everything which is why it took so long to get the pictures......) entering the hospital. Seems he miraculously has been stricken with a serious flare-up of MS. So I explain to you that, of all places, hospitals have notary publics on site every day, so it wouldn't be a problem to print the letter that, somehow, between coming up with ALL of the answers I needed, then compiled a letter with all the facts (with one MAJOR mistake on it, I might add), then ends up in the hospital with MS, and when I require a notarized signature, he suddenly deteriorates to a point "He can't even sign his name now".

(to be cont.)

suicide_squeeze
02-27-2009, 05:58 PM
(cont.)

So anyway, after my wife and I got a real good laugh at the unfolding emails I was receiving, I just thought it might be a good idea to alert the GOOD folks here that.......Well, something just wasn't RIGHT.

But it appears there are a few here who take exception to truth and honesty......there think their opinion of how some things here are handled is being done by someone less than an EXPERT on the situation......a non-LAWYER using bad judgement (lol)......so I'll just take my 22 years of collecting experience and zip it.

I can only hope that there are a few members, maybe that are just starting out, maybe that haven't been collecting game used home run balls for 15+ years that need a few honest worthwhile tips, can appreciate the EFFORT on someone here to keep it on the up and up.

I'll leave you, Tom, with your "integrity" and "reputation" intact, as it was never my intent to attack them in the first place. But a funny thing happened on the way to the thread.......in questioning others about any prior experience with you.....I WAS attacked.........after the unimaginable set of emails you threw at me in regards to YOUR contacting me to sell me a ball.....

Whatever.......

How typical.........HYSTERICAL.....funny as hell.........but typical.

suicide_squeeze
02-27-2009, 06:09 PM
This was my issue. Why fake an Eddie Murray ball? Why not a Bonds, Pujols, McGwire or something high end? I agree that holograms help a lot, but for a ball from 85, I dont think theres much I can do with that. I take no offense at all to your questions/concerns.[/quote]

Isn't THAT the one and only fact why you CONTACTED me in the first place???

I mean, WHY would you contact me if you had a Bonds, Pujols, McGwire, or something that you refer to as high end when answering a "Does ANYONE have an EDDIE MURRAY actual HOME RUN baseball, one of his career 504 HOME RUN BASEBALLS?"???

Isn't the whole REASON you contacted me to find out what I would be willing to PAY for one?.....and when you found out, you then figured it was worth the effort? (What "effort" we are talking about here is the rub.....)

suicide_squeeze
02-27-2009, 06:10 PM
The first paragraph of the prior post is a quote from GarkoCollector.....

My response followed.......sorry it didn't show up that way.

GarkoCollector
02-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Really sorry you feel this way Steven. I really do. I am content to keep the ball. I was looking only to help you out. If you dont want the help, theres 500+ more of them out there.

The info given was not remembered, it was added. The information that surrounded the ball was not remembered. Circumstances around getting the ball were and once the date was pinpointed, additional information was added to that letter because YOU wanted to know...the HR# of that season, the Career HR #. those things were added to the letter because you wanted them. Had nothing to do with remembering these things. it was done because you wanted to know.

He got his start as an intern, not an apprentice. He was looking at the inner workings of the team as a whole, not of a specific trade. He was asked to do many things for the team, which included but wasnt limited to sweeping the bulpen. He was not in this capacity when he got the ball, which was documented to ensure accuracy.

I plan on taking the ball to get an attempt at authentication, just for my own benefit. The information that was originally reviewed was incorrect as I reviewed it myself for accuracy and know that Murray only hit 1 HR in the game wheras it was noted that he hit 3, so I am sure thats the huge error.

as it has been said, if you dont feel comfortable with this, dont buy it. I'd want the information to be secured prior. The wrong box score was looked at. that is the source of the inaccurate information about his stats that day. plain and simple. I've already looked into it.

I'm willing to take any other questions about this as it seems to be more than anything, a problem with research and documentation. the day is correct, the game stats were not.

Tom

suicide_squeeze
02-27-2009, 06:28 PM

Hey Nate, you and everyone else WITH HONEST INTENTIONS would rightfully be pissed.

Look, I did my homework here. I came out because this was wrong. Enough said, it's a matter of record.

And if this serves as a warning to anyone thinking about trying to do something less than honest when answering a legitimate collectors "Items Wanted" thread......then it has done some good.

GarkoCollector
02-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Hey Nate, you and everyone else WITH HONEST INTENTIONS would rightfully be pissed.

Look, I did my homework here. I came out because this was wrong. Enough said, it's a matter of record.

And if this serves as a warning to anyone thinking about trying to do something less than honest when answering a legitimate collectors "Items Wanted" thread......then it has done some good.

All this shows is that I looked up the wrong box score and added the wrong day's information to please your request to know the career HR.

Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished.

suicide_squeeze
02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Really sorry you feel this way Steven. I really do. I am content to keep the ball. I was looking only to help you out. If you dont want the help, theres 500+ more of them out there.

The info given was not remembered, it was added. The information that surrounded the ball was not remembered. Circumstances around getting the ball were and once the date was pinpointed, additional information was added to that letter because YOU wanted to know...the HR# of that season, the Career HR #. those things were added to the letter because you wanted them. Had nothing to do with remembering these things. it was done because you wanted to know.

He got his start as an intern, not an apprentice. He was looking at the inner workings of the team as a whole, not of a specific trade. He was asked to do many things for the team, which included but wasnt limited to sweeping the bulpen. He was not in this capacity when he got the ball, which was documented to ensure accuracy.

I plan on taking the ball to get an attempt at authentication, just for my own benefit. The information that was originally reviewed was incorrect as I reviewed it myself for accuracy and know that Murray only hit 1 HR in the game wheras it was noted that he hit 3, so I am sure thats the huge error.

as it has been said, if you dont feel comfortable with this, dont buy it. I'd want the information to be secured prior. The wrong box score was looked at. that is the source of the inaccurate information about his stats that day. plain and simple. I've already looked into it.

I'm willing to take any other questions about this as it seems to be more than anything, a problem with research and documentation. the day is correct, the game stats were not.

Tom

Tom,

Honestly, from your very first email when you bit my head off telling me "Hey, I'm busy. This isn't going to happen overnight".........I knew this was a bogus transaction in the making. I NEVER ONCE had the opportunity to talk to your so-called "friend" who had this great ball. You say he interned for the Orioles, yet you can't produce ONE BIT of evidence, proof..... provenance. Not a picture, not a letterhead with your friends name on it....nothing.

It was only after I pressed you on getting pictures of it, that you THEN miraculously come up with (OUT OF THE BLUE) the info "By the way, the ball is clean.....something about the prior pitch being fouled off backwards, almost braking the announcers glass"......I mean......WHAT?:rolleyes:

I hadn't even asked about ANYTHING except pictures.......and you come up with THAT? You had your bases covered.......continuously. Miraculously. Not answers I was asking.......Answers that fit what you were going to produce to me.

I mean, after all, if you could convince me, and the proof was good, $2,000.00 was a great starting point, right?

The final obvious nail-in-the-coffin bit of insight into your "efforts" here was you biting on my bait question. I told you my wife thought it would be a nice gesture to send flowers to your friend who was suffering this terrible illness in the hospital, so I asked if you could forward me the hospital name so we could do just that.

Your "friend", God bless his soul, would rather I "send a donation to the Multiple Sclerosis Society Research Foundation."

That is about as good of a "Cherry on Top" as I could have ever come up with. Nice touch.

By the way, you might want to tell your "friend" or his Doctors they have some very effective medications that tremendously limit the effects of the disease.

mdube16
02-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Here's one vote for locking this thread before 2 regular and good posters continue down this path

suicide_squeeze
02-27-2009, 06:57 PM
No need, I'm done.

No more comments from me after this on this thread.

My apologies to anyone I have offended. Including you, Tom.

Let's all be honest, good people, and live our lives right. Let's help eachother, not "F" eachother. The damn World is falling apart, people. Someone, some day, needs to step up and do the right thing. If we all do that, maybe we'll get a hold of the dishonest and corrupt bulls#!t we all deal with everyday.

Regards from someone who really does care,

Steve

GarkoCollector
02-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Steve,
I would go as far as sending you the ball and the information...the correct information, BEFORE you pay for the ball. You can look at it, review everything and IF you want it, you can pay, and if not, all I ask is that you return the ball and information quickly.

I cant do any more than that.

Fnazxc0114
02-27-2009, 07:20 PM
suicide i would reply to your thread but i am about to go on a date with my cousin

suicide_squeeze
02-27-2009, 08:04 PM
suicide i would reply to your thread but i am about to go on a date with my cousin

Sorry members.......one last one, I just can't let this one go....

Fnazxc0114.......Let me guess.......'coon hunting?

And Tom, please see your email. This is over. Be happy for that.

chakes89
02-27-2009, 08:31 PM
This thead has been a giant waste of space

helmets
02-27-2009, 08:36 PM
All this over a baseball?