PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing "Non" Purchase Experience

tbone90
02-26-2009, 08:31 PM
While I am a relatively new member to the GUU forum with only a few posts I have been an avid reader for an extended period of time. I've been collecting game used bats for approximately 15 years and generally keep my collection to around 100-120 bats. I've just recently had a very disappointing experience in trying to purchase a bat. I'm looking for opinions as to whether I'm way off base or not in my thinking as to how the situation unfolded.

I had requested pics one evening of a bat posted for sale (Collector to Collector). By the next mid day I had received the pics and the seller again stated his price for the bat. Within the hour of receiving the pics I received another email from the seller stating they had interest in the bat and for me to get back to them. Less then an hour later I replied that I would take the bat and how should I send payment. I was working so the delay was not intentional nor do I feel it was excessive. Approximately 3 1/2 hours later I received a brief email stating someone responded before me and the bat was sold.

My issue in a nut shell is I feel this type of dealing was/is very poor. If you offer an item for a person to purchase, especially to a person who has inquired about it, shouldn't you give them an opportunity to respond or actually make the purchase? I would never let someone question my intent to purchase. In the past when I've requested pics and the item was not what I was looking for I responded with a thank you but I'm going to pass. I feel that this is just simple courtesy. Am I wrong in thinking the handling of this was very poor and inappropriate?

People differ, as well have differing views. And I completely understand that the owner of the bat can do whatever they wish with their own property. I'm not sure I want to tred into an ethical or unethical debate but it seems that there should be some basic business decorum or even common courtesy practiced.

I'm sure others have had similarly disappointing experiences and I shouldn't expect this one to be my last. Maybe I am incorrect in feeling I was wronged in this dealing, maybe I'm frustrated with not getting the bat or maybe I just needed to rant or vent...

otismalibu
02-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Same thing can happen on eBay.

I recently had an item listed with a Buy It Now price with the Make an Offer option also in play

Someone made an offer of about $65 less than than my BIN and I countered with an offer of about $35 less. If the guy takes that offer, the auction is over with him as the winner.

In the meantime, someone hits the Buy It Now and ends the auction. Scooped.

skyking26
02-26-2009, 09:08 PM
My issue in a nut shell is I feel this type of dealing was/is very poor. If you offer an item for a person to purchase, especially to a person who has inquired about it, shouldn't you give them an opportunity to respond or actually make the purchase? I would never let someone question my intent to purchase. In the past when I've requested pics and the item was not what I was looking for I responded with a thank you but I'm going to pass. I feel that this is just simple courtesy. Am I wrong in thinking the handling of this was very poor and inappropriate?[/quote)

This is an extremely nice topic, and hits home with several experiences. Reading the paragraph above, the seller contacted you an let you know that another buyer was interested. Give them credit for that communication. The frustration here is that you could not react quickly enough to make the sale because of work; thus a sale took place in that short time. Seller let you know of outside interest. Really, everything should be ok...just a tuff luck situation. I've had similar of late:

*Guy is selling bats for personal reasons. I am interested in only 1. I had brought some other buyers to him out of friendship. I had made an offer and it was refused. Another acquaintance offered over marker and it was accepted. My contention was that at the least the seller should have contacted me and said hey, I have this offer, can you do better? That's my only beef because of history. He just went for the $$ and quickly forgot about anything else. Just a courtesy not extended in my book. His property, his right to sell at whatever price. I have no issues thereafter.

**Been friends with a gentleman for a few years. He offers a jersey on ebay, then to a friend, then to me. I came within $300 of what he wanted and he then decided it was not for sale. Again, I respected the fact it was his, and agree he can sell at whatever price whenever he desires. I just thought it strange that it was available all that time, and then it wasn't. But, what can you do.

***Been friends with another guy for many years. Have hooked him up on many items. Hey, what are friends for? There have been occasions when I felt he could have assisted me but did not. I recently was checking out ebay and saw that he was selling signed batting gloves. They would have went nice with a jersey I have. I'm sure a deal could have been made without ebay... The surprise was on me.

Moral is, enjoy the hobby, and realize you have friends that are there and help like I am fortunate to have. You also have to move quickly on items lest they get away. I could have had a Diamondback's Dunn a few weeks ago but jumped ship. Got too pricey for me, and that was my fault. Usually the item always goes to who pays now and highest I've learned...! Enjoy -

joelsabi
02-26-2009, 09:30 PM
I had requested pics one evening of a bat posted for sale (Collector to Collector). By the next mid day I had received the pics and the seller again stated his price for the bat. Within the hour of receiving the pics I received another email from the seller stating they had interest in the bat and for me to get back to them. Less then an hour later I replied that I would take the bat and how should I send payment. I was working so the delay was not intentional nor do I feel it was excessive. Approximately 3 1/2 hours later I received a brief email stating someone responded before me and the bat was sold.

My issue in a nut shell is I feel this type of dealing was/is very poor. If you offer an item for a person to purchase, especially to a person who has inquired about it, shouldn't you give them an opportunity to respond or actually make the purchase? I would never let someone question my intent to purchase. In the past when I've requested pics and the item was not what I was looking for I responded with a thank you but I'm going to pass. I feel that this is just simple courtesy. Am I wrong in thinking the handling of this was very poor and inappropriate?

i think its common courtesy to tell the seller whether you will accept or pass on an offer. i try to state in the email that i would like an answer either way. if you give some kind of deadline for a response in the email then i think it ok for the seller to make a move if the inquiring person doesnt reply within the expected time.

in another instance, there was a bat that i was second in line for. the seller was trying to iron out a deal with some dude and i respected that. the seller was up front and i lowered my expectation. when the seller's deal feel through he offered the item to me without expectation as well even though i had shown good interest in the item. we ended up making a deal.

one thing that is true about my collection is that each of my items came from people who had mutual respect and that means a lot to me and bodes well for possible future transactions.

tbone90
02-27-2009, 08:02 AM
"one thing that is true about my collection is that each of my items came from people who had mutual respect and that means a lot to me and bodes well for possible future transactions."

You summed it up nicely for me Joelsabi. This one incident is in no way going to sour me on collecting I was just let down by the treatment of this particular incident. I've met a great deal of good and decent peoople in the collecting community and would just looking some resepctfulness among fellow collectors or enthusiasts. In the end I guess money trumps all.