PDA

View Full Version : What's a new collector to do?

coxfan
02-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Although I've been a baseball fan since 1957, I just got into memorabilia-collecting in late 2004 after my daughters surprised me with a Glavine autograph for Christmas, sparking my interest. I started game-used collecting in early 2006 after one daughter moved to Arlington, TX and I found the great selection of g-u items at the Rangers' Stadium.

But I've been repeatedly dismayed by stuff I've read, including on this forum. I quickly dropped buying autographs after reading about all the fraud in that field. Fortunately my wife proved so skilled at getting autographs at Spring Training that we had no need to buy them; she's gotten a fabulous collection ( eg last year Lasorda, Torre, Dave Stewart, and half the Dodgers' roster, and others, in just 2 days).

Then I read posts questioning the MLB authentication program. But I witnessed one apparent authenticator collecting balls in Arlington, and a friend of mine has spoken to an authenticator at a AAA game. Based on this information, I've decided that the authentication program has matured, particularly in the last 2-3 years, and can be trusted despite the occasional input errors ( wrong date or inning) I've detected.

But now here is a shower of negativity about memorabilia cards. My wife and I have retired to a great condo, right by a large university and 2 blocks from our State Capitol. But the price of this great location is limited space. Our small condo is already loaded with hundreds of books, so there's not much room for adding lots of bats, jerseys, etc. though we have about 15 whole g-u items. So I hoped that some memorabilia cards would allow me to continue the hobby without space problems. Surely, among the thousands of bats that are broken during the 2,430 games each season, a few can be spared for cards for those of us who don't have space to expand our g-u collection.

But then all these posts suggesting that this phase of the hobby is also covered in misrepresentation! I've read that only MLBPA-approved sources are now used for memorabilia cards. So the MLBPA as well as the card companies should have their reputations on the line. Surely at least 85% of these cards are valid?

Any suggestions on how I, as a new collector, can avoid giving up this hobby, that so many seem to think is so permeated by crooks in all areas?

suave1477
02-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Coxfan there is no such thing in any hobby that has value to someone there is going to be someone out there to forge a fake to make money off of it.

Anything you collect Autographs - there fake ones out there
Watches - they make fake watches
Baseball cards - they make fake baseball cards
Movies - bootlegged all the time
Even cars (Old classic collector cars) - they have kits where you can build these cars yourself through a mechanic and then try to pass them off as the actual car.
And the list goes on and on

The best thing you can do is find a hobby that you really enjoy and learn/educate yourself as most as you possibly can for what to look for and what to watch out for.

Fnazxc0114
02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
hey coxfan i spend a lot of time at the ballpark in arlington. are you still in texas?

ndevlin
02-24-2009, 10:03 PM
I bet you would find it a lot of fun to write to all of the old ball players. Ive done it the last 3 yrs or so and have received about 600 letters back.

Its a lot of fun and makes you connect to the player in a different way, especially when you write them multiple times. Its pretty neat.

camarokids
02-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Since you wife is so good at getting autographs. Collect team signed baseballs.

They are very cool to collect and look nice.

For a $100 you buy a nice display case on ebay.

Team signed baseballs are like collecting history.

coxfan
02-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Thanks to everyone for the thoughts. Some posts on this forum have been quite educational. I don't when I'll get back to Arlington to see my younger daughter and son-in-law, as my older daughter, who lives just six miles from us in South Carolina, is expecting our 1st grandchild ( a boy) in late March. We want to hang around here to help her and her husband, so it'll be hard for a while to go the 1,000 miles to Arlington.

By the way, the University of South Carolina has just opened the best college stadium I've ever seen within walking distance of us. It has a capacity of nearly 9,000, with a complete wraparound walkway that allows you to see the whole field from any angle. The South Carolina gamecocks ( we call them the "real USC") has sent several recently to the majors, including Brian Roberts ( who transferred here his senior year), Adam Everett, Steve Pearce, and several strong current prospects. Bobby Richardson of the Yankees coached here in the 1970's. He walked right by me a couple of times on opening day, but I didn't bother him because I already have his autograph. He's a really nice guy who's great with fans.

coxfan
02-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Sorry, I meant to say it's the best college BASEBALL stadium I've ever seen here at the University of South Carolina. It opened last Saturday to a sellout crowd. Quite a contrast with the early days of college baseball, as I recall them from the 1970's. At that time my wife and I were grad students at Georgia. We walked to the UGA baseball games, but the crowds were only about 75 fans in a couple of bleachers. UGA's modern Foley Field, seating thousands, is on the same spot as the old field, though the infield's oriented differently.

TAFKADixie
02-25-2009, 09:44 AM
You call them "the real USC", I call them "SCU" so as not to be confused with a real athletic program. Some of the not so nice guys call them USuC, Shamecocks, Lamecocks, Blamecocks, etc. In all seriousness, the name "the real USC" is an absolute joke anywhwere outside the state of South Carolina. In 49 out of 50 states, USC means Southern Cal.

Oh yeah, GO TIGERS!

nationals2k9
02-25-2009, 09:45 AM
coxfan - any Ian Kinsler g/u from your TX days?

michael_benko@yahoo.com

Thanks! MB

coxfan
02-25-2009, 01:39 PM
For the fellow with the polite inquiry regarding Ian Kinsler: the only Texas Ranger item I have specifically associated with a player is a ball hit by Sammy Sosa for a single off Ben Sheets, according to MLB authentication, on 6-9-07. That was part of the "Sammy Sosa race to 600" series that the Rangers did. I plan to do another post about that "Sosa" series when I have time. My research shows that it was Sosa's last HOME base hit before his 600th HR, though he had other hits, including his 599th HR, on an intervening road trip. I also have a game-used base from A-Rod's first visit back to Texas in May 2004. The other items I have are non-specific g-u balls, except for one thrown in the dirt by Scott Feldman to Adrian Beltre the day before Icihiro's 3000th hit.

As for the other fellow with the sarcastic reply about "USC", please note that South Carolina baseball finished #2 in the US in 2002, #3 in 2004, and in the top 8 in 2003. I'm sure your team did just as well. While we are well aware that USC means So Cal eveywhere else, if you visit our state, you should get used to USC meaning "University of South Carolina" everywhere in our borders.

ndevlin
02-25-2009, 01:50 PM
You call them "the real USC", I call them "SCU" so as not to be confused with a real athletic program. Some of the not so nice guys call them USuC, Shamecocks, Lamecocks, Blamecocks, etc. In all seriousness, the name "the real USC" is an absolute joke anywhwere outside the state of South Carolina. In 49 out of 50 states, USC means Southern Cal.

Oh yeah, GO TIGERS!

Hey, way to be nice/polite. "a real athletic program"? "an absolute joke anywhere outside the state of South Carolina"?

He didnt ask for your crappy opinion about what USC meant. He was simply asking how a new collector like himself can continue to collect and not give it up.

Its comments like this that make we wonder how some people are even aloud to post their comments on here. Ohhh, wait a minute....

Lets not scare him off, mmmmk?

TAFKADixie
02-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Hey, way to be nice/polite. "a real athletic program"? "an absolute joke anywhere outside the state of South Carolina"?

He didnt ask for your crappy opinion about what USC meant. He was simply asking how a new collector like himself can continue to collect and not give it up.

Its comments like this that make we wonder how some people are even aloud to post their comments on here. Ohhh, wait a minute....

Lets not scare him off, mmmmk?

He's a Georgia grad anyway, so I doubt he cares a whole lot about SCU or their athletic program. If he wants to take shots at Clemson as a Bulldog, he has every right to do so as they have absolutely owned us for the last 20 years. Rarely does a Tiger pass up the chance to take at SCU, regardless of the situation.

To his original post, which I obviously neglected to respond to, collect what makes you happy. I understand it's hard to colect a lot in a confined space but you can do alot with framed signed card collages (they sell frames at most stores like Michael's or Hoby Lobby). If you find it hard to trust anyone else, use your wife's prowess in obtaining in-person sigs and use the hobby resources on the net to start obtaining autographs through the mail.

coxfan
02-25-2009, 03:03 PM
I overlooked that TAFKAdixie is a Clemson man, so no problem. All three of our baseball programs ( including UGA) are outstanding, so we have that in common. Clemson was in the College World Series with South Carolina in 2002, and UGA finished # 4 nationally in 2004 right behind South Carolina, and #2 last year. When I have time, it might be interesting to start a thread about the college baseball memorabilia we've picked up.