PDA

View Full Version : Economy causing some GU prices to tank?

godwulf
02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
As somebody who's pretty exclusively a Buyer, rather than a Seller, I'm not complaining...but has anyone else noticed that a lot of stuff - particularly on eBay, but also at places like MLB auctions - has been selling for unusually low prices?

Yesterday, on eBay, I ended up paying six bucks for a bat that I completely expected would sell for 30-40. The other day, I picked up a bat like I've seen sell for upwards of $100, for 16. I recently paid just $85 for a pink Mother's Day bat...and so on.

Now none of these players are current superstars or HOF'ers, but still...they're all names you would know, and very collectible. Have you noticed this going on?

skyking26
02-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Absolutely not. I have noticed just the opposite. Here is a read of recent attempted transactions:

*McGwire unc signed Cards 2000 bat. Offered $1200, would have paid $1500. Sold for $2000. This from a guy who prices are noted to be in the tank.

*Dave Kingman 1976 home Mets jersey. Offered $2000. Guy said was good price. No idea where it is as is somewhere in box in basement, but he knows he has it. $2K should awaken curiousity in a tuff economy...?

*Barbaro Garbey mid 80's LS bats. Christmas time, 2 sold from same seller for $366 and $242 on ebay respectively. Barbaro was a part time utility DH for 84 Tigers who career ended just after that with MN. Alot of dough for a utility man. Recession?

*99 McGwire home jersey: $2800, I offered $2500. Seller said business was great, phone ringing off the hook - offer denied.

*2005 Dunn alternate jersey offered $375. I told seller I'd rather have a home. They said they'd check. I've contacted them 3 times since the conversation to talk about the alternate. No response.

These were all recent attempted transactions. I see no low prices or people selling low at all. Sorry, no deals from my vantage point.

cjmedina1
02-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Godwulf

I believe your going to find this happening more and more..Ebay will be a great place to find deals...People are selling for some quick cash....As for Other Auctions, We are probably going to see more high end items come out of the vaults and on the auctions blocks IMO...

Bob

I know in most people eyes Mcgwire items are down. You really cant expect to pay next to nothing for a piece you really want even though in your eyes its a Fair offer.I cant speak about the jersey transaction prices but i can sure speak about the 2000 gamer transaction.... An offer of 1k was made,then 1200 was the best offer..I've seen 2 post from a collector seeking a Mcgwire gamer. One on this site and one on another site... Point being is when some who is serious about buying an item,they will consider the current market,rarity,quality of the item then make an offer.

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

suave1477
02-24-2009, 12:03 PM
[quote=godwulf;125782]
I recently paid just $85 for a pink Mother's Day bat...and so on.
quote]

Just out of curiousity do you mind if I ask who's the player?

Was it MLB Authenticated?

Autographed?

I am just curious

skyking26
02-24-2009, 12:21 PM
I know in most people eyes Mcgwire items are down. You really cant expect to pay next to nothing for a piece you really want even though in your eyes its a Fair offer.I cant speak about the jersey transaction prices but i can sure speak about the 2000 gamer transaction.... An offer of 1k was made,then 1200 was the best offer..I've seen 2 post from a collector seeking a Mcgwire gamer. One on this site and one on another site... Point being is when some who is serious about buying an item,they will consider the current market,rarity,quality of the item then make an offer.

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net[/quote]
The only remark I can come up with on this transaction is that in light of the fact you did not promote items and I brought you customers; if I were you, since you are bringing this up, I would have contacted to and said I had an offer of this or that, can you match or better it... rather than exclusion. That's just me. You obviously see things differently. End of discussion.

camarokids
02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
[quote=godwulf;125782]
I recently paid just $85 for a pink Mother's Day bat...and so on.
quote]

Just out of curiousity do you mind if I ask who's the player?

Was it MLB Authenticated?

Autographed?

I am just curious

here is some info on his bat.....I sent him a pm that the bat was available....

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=19555

godwulf
02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Or, if you don't want to wade through the entire thread to see it...:D

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog986/folder23649/img7637945.jpg

I got it directly from the Diamondbacks, by way of MLB Auctions.

camarokids
02-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Or, if you don't want to wade through the entire thread to see it...:D

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog986/folder23649/img7637945.jpg

I got it directly from the Diamondbacks, by way of MLB Auctions.

Hey Godwulf,
Did you ever find a photo match????

Hint Hint Kyle!!!!

suave1477
02-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Godwulf nice pick up. That bat looks like it has been used for more then just (Mothers day) - I am saying this as a good thing.

Looks like he may have used it for BP and who knows maybe a couple of other games.

I could be wrong but from what I remember between 2007 and 2008 auctions a pink bat for a common to a decent name player was selling in the $300 range.

Obvisouly semi stars and super stars were selling higher.

So that was a pretty good pick up!!:)

godwulf
02-24-2009, 01:02 PM
As someone else suggested, maybe it's only the high-end stuff that is currently retaining its value.

Then, too, neither a few adamant Sellers, intent on getting "their" price and rejecting what you may think are reasonable offers, nor a few better-off-than-average collectors being willing and able to shell out whatever they need to for a coveted item, are necessarily accurate indicators of the market in general.

As I wrote before, the bats I'm talking about are not from superstar or HOF players...but the $6 bat came from Devon White, and the $16 bat came from Johnny Estrada, and I have never seen their stuff go for such paltry prices.

godwulf
02-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Godwulf nice pick up. That bat looks like it has been used for more then just (Mothers day) - I am saying this as a good thing.

Looks like he may have used it for BP and who knows maybe a couple of other games.

I could be wrong but from what I remember between 2007 and 2008 auctions a pink bat for a common to a decent name player was selling in the $300 range.

Obvisouly semi stars and super stars were selling higher.

So that was a pretty good pick up!!:)

I'm very happy with it. The only other pink bat I ever bid on was in, I think, '07, and they had an unused DBacks team bat, signed by every one of the players and coaches, even the Big Unit. The bidding ended at a little over 3K, if I remember correctly.