PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds Bats

ballofbases@hotmail.com
04-19-2006, 08:42 AM
I was wondering if Bonds ever used a bat that did not have his last name on it and just said Pirates. I believe the bat is an S2. Please let me know if you have any info. Thanks.

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/BARRY-BONDS-GAME-USED-BAT_W0QQitemZ8797443551QQcategoryZ60596QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

JimCaravello
04-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi Michael - its very possible that early in Bonds career, he may have used a bat which just Pirates on the barrel. The problem is that unless you were handed the bat from Bonds and saw him use it in a game, it has little value to other collectors because its not a factory documented bat that he ordered directly. It is really close to impossible to tell if he used the bat you have mentioned, unless there is direct photo or visual evidence that he used the bat. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Jim

ballofbases@hotmail.com
04-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Hey Jim - I understand what your saying where it would be hard to prove it was actually used by Bonds. I was thinking the same thing. I thought maybe it could have been used early in his career but I was really unsure of how it could be proven authentic. Thanks for the help!

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com

MSpecht
04-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi--

The other piece of the puzzle is that during Bonds' time with the Pirates, there is no documented evidence that he ever ordered Model S2 bats, so to point to a Model S2 and infer that it was used by Bonds would be incionsistent with his ordering patterns and clearly not as compelling as if it were a Pirates Team Index Bat Model H238 which was Bonds' model of choice with the Pirates. Look for characteristic Bonds' Pirate-era bats to usually be 34 inches in length, with a few orders of 33 1/2 inches and a few orders of 34 1/2 inches. Weight was generally 32 ounces, with few exceptions.

Good luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com