PDA

View Full Version : Mastro Classic Collector Online Auction

otismalibu
02-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Is the online auction registration free or does it cost $75 as well?

I've sent an email and a voice mail, but no response yet.

Can one register this late even though the auction ends in just a few days?

Thanks.

Fred
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
If I read correctly on their website the $75 fee only applies to the Premier Catalog Auctions not to the Classic Collector Auctions.You should still be able to register as long as it is done before the closing day.

ndevlin
02-23-2009, 03:02 PM
How I took it, you have to pay for either one, which is $75. If you click on one to register, it gives you a link to click on the other one, and it still says its $75. I even tried again a few days ago.

Tay1038
02-23-2009, 03:06 PM
I registered to bid in their last auction and it cost me nothing. It is only their premier auctions you must pay the fee.

otismalibu
02-23-2009, 03:25 PM
If I read correctly on their website the $75 fee only applies to the Premier Catalog Auctions not to the Classic Collector Auctions.

That's how I read it too, but was hoping to get confirmation from them before I registered.

Thanks all.

ndevlin
02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
I actually just called them twice and they dont answer their phones...

otismalibu
02-23-2009, 04:38 PM
I actually just called them twice and they dont answer their phones...

So I'm not the only one :)

No email replies yet either.

suicide_squeeze
02-23-2009, 06:56 PM
I just don't understand it.....

They have an auction going on, and they don't answer their phones?

One can really see that Bill Mastro sold out....things just aren't the same.

otismalibu
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
I did have a message when I got home, that confirmed the online auction has no registration fee.

David
02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Once you start bidding at Mastro, you won't ever be charged for catalogs so long as you bid with some regularity. I have received catalogs for years and never paid a catalog fee, as I started bidding in their no-catalog online weekly auctions they for a short while several years ago. However you got there, auction houses like bidders.

David
02-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Beyond catalog costs, I suspect many of the high end auction houses have an up front charge and take your credit card to ensure that bidders are serious. They don't want to have the anonymous non-payers like you find on eBay.

David
02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
One last thing. I have seen Mastro's warts, but always received good service from them as a bidder-- good shipping, etc.

encinorick
02-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I'd be very careful with Mastro auctions. In the past, their catalogue descriptions exaggareted the statements made in the accompanying third party LOA's, such as Mears and PSA/DNA. Their descriptions are more "expansive" and entice the reader the believe more than what the experts say. Now, they issue their own LOA's to item. I say "Let the Bidder Beware!"

sammy
02-24-2009, 04:08 PM
.....and don't forget, if you want an authentication letter for the autographs they sell, you have to pay for it.

Does that mean if it fails authentication, I still own it?

encinorick
02-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Indeed. It's truly amazing what's going on with these auction houses. Vintage does the same thing, they'll give you a "preliminary" LOA, but, if you want a "full" LOA you have to go to PSA/DNA or Mears and pay extra. And of course there is no guarantees that they'll pass.

Never had a problem with Lelands or Robert Edwards....and GUU, by the way.

sammy
02-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Mastro's doesn't even give you a "preliminary" LOA, or what was once known as an "auction house" letter.

They don't give you anything for that 20 percent sucker's fee except to say "It's pre-certified" and all sales are final, so kiss our ***.

encinorick
02-24-2009, 06:30 PM
All this follows the well-documented FBI investigation of many auction houses about a year ago. Apparently, after talking to their lawyers, this is what they've come up with. I have no personal knowledge, I make no guarantees or assurances about what I just said, it's just my opinion and if you don't like it, auction houses, too God D*mn bad. (sound familiar?) :cool: