PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Have Guilts About Game-Used Collecting

frikativ54
02-23-2009, 12:10 AM
I often have guilts about collecting game-used, even though I love to get Bagwell items. I think that the money could be used for more fruitful endeavors, and that all I have to show for it is having a large collection of some guy who could hit a ball far's clothing.

Honestly, do any of you guys feel the same way? Is it just me? It's not like I am going to stop collecting. I just sometimes wonder if you guys have any guilt about your game-used hobby? Do you ever feel as if your time, efforts, and money could be better spent elsewhere?

Just curious. Thanks in advance for your honesty.

-Frik

ndevlin
02-23-2009, 12:11 AM
What else would you buy if you werent buying Bagwell items?

frikativ54
02-23-2009, 12:16 AM
What else would you buy if you werent buying Bagwell items?

I would buy some new equipment for my camera.
Chip in a little of my own money to fund some political speakers.

ndevlin
02-23-2009, 12:17 AM
I see. Well why is that you decide to spend the money on Bagwell items instead of the items you listed?

jetersbatboy
02-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I often have guilts about collecting game-used, even though I love to get Bagwell items. I think that the money could be used for more fruitful endeavors, and that all I have to show for it is having a large collection of some guy who could hit a ball far's clothing.

Honestly, do any of you guys feel the same way? Is it just me? It's not like I am going to stop collecting. I just sometimes wonder if you guys have any guilt about your game-used hobby? Do you ever feel as if your time, efforts, and money could be better spent elsewhere?

Just curious. Thanks in advance for your honesty.

-Frik
Sometime I fell the same way. But as long as my Kids are VERY VERY VERY well taken care of, bill are paid and my wife is OK with what I do, then I am able to keep enjoying the hobby.

zookerman182
02-23-2009, 12:20 AM
i think about it sometimes but its just fun to me so im going to keep doing it. Of course i could be saving for this or upgrading other things around the house but its not like im spending every dime i have on this stuff. I think everyone should have hobbys like this. It helps take your mind off of stressful stuff and other problems that people face every day. Even if it costs a little more than other hobbys, the thrill of the hunt for items is matched by nothing else for me.

suicide_squeeze
02-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Guilt? I feel emotionally ruined. I wake up in cold sweats nightly, screaming from the stress of dreaming about yet another of my "favorite" athletes trying to find a spot on his body for "today's injection" that isn't already sore from previous injections.

I think I should start selling my collection immediately.

It would pay for my meds, and possibly some better therapy from a PPO.

frikativ54
02-23-2009, 12:30 AM
I see. Well why is that you decide to spend the money on Bagwell items instead of the items you listed?

Part of me says that there are still Bagwell items I want. I want to have a whole locker full of his stuff, and I am working on that. Save a pair of pants and a helmet, I will have my project complete pretty soon I think.

And the camera lenses will break or become obsolete, when I'll always have the jerseys, cleats, etc. That's what goes through my mind. But when I actually get the Bagwell stuff, the excitement kind of wears away.

And the pictures I take seem to make me more happy, since I love nature and end up taking a lot of pictures of the animals around here (usually squirrels, some flowers for my Mom, and a lot of raccoons).

I also have a lot of bad memories associated with my childhood love of sports. Mostly the political stuff, because I kept getting cut off all-star teams because my parents weren't on the board of the particular organizations.

I'll never forget some of the apology calls my parents would get, like, I'm sorry, you were originally on the all-star team, but the coach wanted all her friends to be on the team. And my sports career was cut short by illness, unfortunately, so those things make me not enjoy some of the stuff I get.

And I have used my money partially on political speakers, and it comes in handy. Not that I'll always need it for that, because I've found ways to get that money from other organizations. I won't be needing that money any time soon, though, since I have all the speakers I need paid for for this semester.

Thanks for asking, and for taking my question seriously.

frikativ54
02-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Guilt? I feel emotionally ruined. I wake up in cold sweats nightly, screaming from the stress of dreaming about yet another of my "favorite" athletes trying to find a spot on his body for "today's injection" that isn't already sore from previous injections.

I think I should start selling my collection immediately.

It would pay for my meds, and possibly some better therapy from a PPO.

Responses like this don't benefit anyone. My medical and food expenses are paid for.

ndevlin
02-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Its in our blood. As long as I can afford it, I'll buy what interest me.

And depending on what you buy, it can be quite the investment. So its not like its a waste if you think of it that way, which I really dont anyways.

Thats just me though, everyone feels differently.

frikativ54
02-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Its in our blood. As long as I can afford it, I'll buy what interest me.

And depending on what you buy, it can be quite the investment. So its not like its a waste if you think of it that way, which I really dont anyways.

Thats just me though, everyone feels differently.

Maybe, it's because I collect Bagwell. I am sure he's going to sooner or later show up on one of the steroids lists, and that I'm going to lose my money. I look at pictures of him, and I would be deluding myself if I thought he wasn't on the juice. You can get big by lifting, which he did, but not that big.

David
02-23-2009, 12:44 AM
There's nothing wrong with having a hobby or pastime. In fact, they can be good for mental and physical health. Winston Churchill painted, Humphrey Bogart sailed, Sherlock Holmes played a violin. Of course anything can be taken to financial and other extremes, but there's nothing errant about collecting baseball bats or jerseys.

ndevlin
02-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Well it shouldnt be about how much your item is worth. As long as the item/s you want to buy/or own make you happy, then it shouldnt matter how much you could get for it when you decide to sell it.

We buy bats and jerseys because we love the game and enjoy collecting. But there are times, I also put into consideration, that if I ever had to sell the item, if I would get the same amount back that I put into it. That tends to help the cause.

frikativ54
02-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Well it shouldnt be about how much your item is worth. As long as the item/s you want to buy/or own make you happy, then it shouldnt matter how much you could get for it when you decide to sell it.

We buy bats and jerseys because we love the game and enjoy collecting. But there are times, I also put into consideration, that if I ever had to sell the item, if I would get the same amount back that I put into it. That tends to help the cause.

Thing is, I would think less of my item if Bagwell were proven to be a drug cheat. And that would kind of ruin the fun of collecting for me, though I would probably pursue some other items as well.

Maybe I'm focusing too much on one player. I really enjoyed getting a non-Bagwell item, my Rawlings Pro-Giant glove. It was a fun transaction, because it made a glove, which indexes childhood innocence (for me, at least), into something that was larger than life. Below is a pic from my Dad's camera phone, after he set it up for me:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/BIGGLOVE1.jpg
Perhaps I just need to be focusing on other stuff within the baseball memorabilia universe. I love this glove, because it looks just like the one I had as a kid, that I used from like 2nd to 10th grade.

zookerman182
02-23-2009, 02:25 AM
Thing is, I would think less of my item if Bagwell were proven to be a drug cheat. And that would kind of ruin the fun of collecting for me, though I would probably pursue some other items as well.

Maybe I'm focusing too much on one player. I really enjoyed getting a non-Bagwell item, my Rawlings Pro-Giant glove. It was a fun transaction, because it made a glove, which indexes childhood innocence (for me, at least), into something that was larger than life. Below is a pic from my Dad's camera phone, after he set it up for me:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/BIGGLOVE1.jpg
Perhaps I just need to be focusing on other stuff within the baseball memorabilia universe. I love this glove, because it looks just like the one I had as a kid, that I used from like 2nd to 10th grade.

too much of one player? If you like the guy then there isnt any problem. I have 5 game used bats and 2 game used jerseys of a 21 year old who has only played in 9 games and has 4 at bats. When things are said and done with me collecting this guy i dont want to know how much of his crap i will have. But as long as you like the one guy you collect then there shouldnt be a problem.

I have found its really hard to hang on to stuff of players you are only collecting to invest in. Its easy to keep a collection full of your favorite player.

frikativ54
02-23-2009, 02:57 AM
too much of one player? If you like the guy then there isnt any problem. I have 5 game used bats and 2 game used jerseys of a 21 year old who has only played in 9 games and has 4 at bats. When things are said and done with me collecting this guy i dont want to know how much of his crap i will have. But as long as you like the one guy you collect then there shouldnt be a problem.

I have found its really hard to hang on to stuff of players you are only collecting to invest in. Its easy to keep a collection full of your favorite player.

Who's your guy?

coxfan
02-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Hobbies are good for mental and emotional health, as long as they promote positive social interaction, preferably also with intellectual stimulation and exercise. Game-used collecting tends to be intellectually stimulating and should promote positive social interactions, as long as done within good budgetary priorities.

There are many bad hobby choices, such as watching talk shows that promote social ridicule; or hobbies that tend to support destructive addictions such as alcohol dependence. But game-used collecting doesn't fit those bad categories.

I think Jim Leyland once said that the real value of baseball is that it brings people of all walks of life together in something they can enjoy together, without the usual social barriers. I think our hobby does that pretty well.

gingi79
02-23-2009, 10:10 AM
My guy in hockey is Sami Salo. I would argue I have the most complete set of his jerseys to date. When I started collecting him, his shirts were $295 from MeiGray. Now they are $495 and Barry was kind enough to explain why. MeiGray has had 40 of his shirts since 2001, one is in the HOF, one is still for sale and the rest sold. I rarely see them for sale on eBay or the hockey gw boards and when I do, I get them much cheaper than what I pay for at MeiGray, sometimes 50% + off.

That doesn't stop me from adding to the collection as it is a goal to have one of each style. By the next MeiGray expo, with any luck, I will only have 4 missing styles from 3 different teams.

I do feel guilty when I look at my bills but my fiance is addicted too and that makes it more fun having a "partner" to collect with. Bills will always be there but I really enjoy looking at my favorite players career on my wall. Plus it's a goal and while I find it frustrating at times waiting for styles I don't have, I nearly dropped my laptop screaming "I found it! Holy !@#$ it finally found it!" when Salo's Detroit Vipers shirt popped up on eBay.

My advice? Any item that doesn't make you smile and feel honored to own should be let go of. If you can imagine not owning them and you feel ok about that, then you need to re-evaluate what you collect. My rule is simple, Love it or trade it for something you do. That could mean different jerseys, a different hobby, a bigger savings account or a wild weekend in Vegas that you hope your mom never sees pictures of. :D :p :cool:

gatorcollector
02-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I too have felt this way at times. When I think about how much money is tied up in those jerseys, I can't help but think what good that money could do elsewhere.

On the other hand, I agree with jetersbatboy. My family is well taken care of, so why not enjoy the fruits of my labor? I've worked hard and made good choices, so I'm going to do what makes me happy.

commando
02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't drink alcohol or smoke. I guess you can say that this money goes to Houston Gamblers memorabilia instead. Keep in mind, I will NOT pay more than I think is fair, even if the item is scarce. A couple of months ago, one of those foam fingers popped up on eBay, and I had never seen one for sale before. I'm not sure who won it, but they paid more than I was willing!

I do pick up items for ten dollars or less all the time. It feels awesome when I fill another hole in my collection for just a few dollars. It sounds like your guilt may be based on the AMOUNT of money you're spending, and not really the fact that you're collecting someone.

I think the desire to collect is a trait of certain personality types. Don't fight the feeling, young lass.

godwulf
02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I've always been an acquisitive type of person - something of a packrat, at times, I guess. That's just the way I am, and now that I'm 55, I know that I'm too old to change, even if I wanted to. It could be a lot worse - if I weren't collecting game-used bats and jerseys, it might be old newspapers and tinfoil. I'm very passionate about Baseball, and collecting this stuff is a way to be closer to The Game and the players that makes me very happy.

I know people who take very expensive vacations, and probably spend/blow as much on two weeks out of town as I spend on game-used in two years. I'm not a traveller. I don't smoke or gamble, and probably have fewer than twenty drinks a year, holidays included. If a family emergency arose and I had to sell everything to help with the expense, I could do it without a second thought - but barring that, I'm going to continue amassing my unofficial Diamondbacks museum and archive, and keep working on getting it organized and well displayed, probably until I drop dead.

mvandor
02-23-2009, 11:23 AM
It could be a lot worse - if I weren't collecting game-used bats and jerseys, it might be old newspapers and tinfoil.

Five day old Vaio laptop and I just spit coffee up all over the shiny new keyboard.

Damn you!

skyking26
02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I've always been an acquisitive type of person - something of a packrat, at times, I guess. That's just the way I am, and now that I'm 55, I know that I'm too old to change, even if I wanted to. It could be a lot worse - if I weren't collecting game-used bats and jerseys, it might be old newspapers and tinfoil. I'm very passionate about Baseball, and collecting this stuff is a way to be closer to The Game and the players that makes me very happy.

I know people who take very expensive vacations, and probably spend/blow as much on two weeks out of town as I spend on game-used in two years. I'm not a traveller. I don't smoke or gamble, and probably have fewer than twenty drinks a year, holidays included. If a family emergency arose and I had to sell everything to help with the expense, I could do it without a second thought - but barring that, I'm going to continue amassing my unofficial Diamondbacks museum and archive, and keep working on getting it organized and well displayed, probably until I drop dead.
I'm here with most of the guys. I don't smoke, drink, or gamble, carouse. I'm just a married guy with 2 kids enjoying a hobby that leaves me with material items rather than smoke or hangovers.

Only regrets or guilt I've ever had regard 2008 when Kingman let go of alot and I pulled out all the stops, incuding some funny accounting which the wife caught me on a few times. Once in a lifetime though, so what can you do?

Any Diamondbacks Dunn stuff in Godwulf's collection?

RK

joelsabi
02-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Maybe, it's because I collect Bagwell. I am sure he's going to sooner or later show up on one of the steroids lists, and that I'm going to lose my money. I look at pictures of him, and I would be deluding myself if I thought he wasn't on the juice. You can get big by lifting, which he did, but not that big.

if you have a investor mentality in your collection it is easier to have guilt i guess.

godwulf
02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Any Diamondbacks Dunn stuff in Godwulf's collection?

No, I wish. I actually talked with Adam right as the season was ending, and he mentioned having "a lot of bats I have to give away" back in the locker room; there were a whole lot of people within earshot at the time, or I'd have probably asked, "Can I have one?!" I was absolutely dumb-founded when he said that, to which state I attribute my failure to act.

I've been told, by people in a position to know, that he only used the bats he brought from Cincinnati, while he was here; he reportedly got some DBacks bats made, but didn't use them...so if a game-used Dunn DBacks bat surfaces, it was probably used by someone else. Used or unused, I still want one, of course.

skyking26
02-23-2009, 01:16 PM
I doubt we'll see one. There have been at least 1 GU AZ Dunn jersey on MLB and 2 hats. I was in a bidding war and jumped ship on a jersey that was approaching $600 and the guy was not about to give up. At the time I thought I had some other things going on so I was not headstrong on the jersey on MLB. Everything else crashed, so in the end maybe it was a poor decision. Oh well.

godwulf
02-23-2009, 01:40 PM
I doubt we'll see one. There have been at least 1 GU AZ Dunn jersey on MLB and 2 hats. I was in a bidding war and jumped ship on a jersey that was approaching $600 and the guy was not about to give up. At the time I thought I had some other things going on so I was not headstrong on the jersey on MLB. Everything else crashed, so in the end maybe it was a poor decision. Oh well.

Had I known about that auction for the jersey, I'd have probably been right in there, too.

As for the bats, I have hopes that one or more will surface, perhaps soon. I have a team source (actually a friend of a friend with a team source :rolleyes: ...yes, the famous FOAFWATS) who may be some help, and I'll share the wealth if it happens.

both-teams-played-hard
02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
It could be a lot worse - if I weren't collecting game-used bats and jerseys, it might be old newspapers and tinfoil.

If you think Sanford and Son has a nice inventory of antiques, then...you might be a Collyer Brother.

If you save all the wrappers from your packs of '86 Topps, then... you might be a Collyer Brother.

If you save a dryed-up Sharpie cause it was used by Paul Molitor, then... you might be a Collyer Brother.

If you saved bubblicious that was chewed by Gonzo, then...you might be a Collyer Brother.

If you've kept that bulk buy of Keith Moreland rookies 'cause he might have a break-out season, then...you might be a Collyer Brother.

If you've kept that Intellivision system with all the games in the original boxes, 'cause you never know when you're going to re-live your childhood, then...you might be a Collyer Brother.

If you keep bundles of SCD, stacked to the ceiling as a "booby-trap" for any intruders, then...you might be a Collyer Brother.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6163/collyerbros.jpg

hrvatwill
02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Guilt? No. Buyer's remorse? Absolutely!

godwulf
02-23-2009, 11:06 PM
If you save all the wrappers from your packs of '86 Topps, then... you might be a Collyer Brother.

How about if you've got 50-60,000 duplicate cards taking up space in your closet, and you can't bring yourself to part with them?

If you save a dryed-up Sharpie cause it was used by Paul Molitor, then... you might be a Collyer Brother.

Or, in my case, Matt Williams...but I think I've since tossed it...maybe.

If you saved bubblicious that was chewed by Gonzo, then...you might be a Collyer Brother.

I didn't do that, but I got an email from the guy who auctioned Gonzo's gum. After that incident, Topps did a big original art piece of a Bazooka comic featuring Gonzo and Bazooka Joe, had Gonzo sign it and auctioned it for charity, and I won the auction. He emailed me to find out who the heck I was. The piece was featured in an S.I. article on "oddest sports collectibles". I was so proud.

Fnazxc0114
02-23-2009, 11:36 PM
frik i shot 8 racoons last weekend. are the pics you take after you shoot them in the face?

frikativ54
02-23-2009, 11:45 PM
frik i shot 8 racoons last weekend. are the pics you take after you shoot them in the face?

Given your opinions on proven science, I wouldn't put much esteem on a lot of what you say.

frikativ54
02-23-2009, 11:54 PM

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/RosyRaccoon.jpg

xpress34
02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
...you might be a Collyer Brother.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6163/collyerbros.jpg

Who are the Collyer Brothers???

And is that REALLY Eddie Gaedel's famous 1/8 th jersey in the back ground???

xpress34
02-24-2009, 12:51 AM
I didn't do that, but I got an email from the guy who auctioned Gonzo's gum. After that incident, Topps did a big original art piece of a Bazooka comic featuring Gonzo and Bazooka Joe, had Gonzo sign it and auctioned it for charity, and I won the auction. He emailed me to find out who the heck I was. The piece was featured in an S.I. article on "oddest sports collectibles". I was so proud.

GW -

That's funny. Gonzo use to come into Niketown Denver everytime the D'Backs were here... very laid back easy going guy.

He actually was here in Denver when the whole GU Gum thing broke and Topps flew in a rep along with Double Bubble reps and eBay reps and Gonzo chewed a piece of gum for them that they certified and re-auctioned on eBay since the original auction was shut down and they donated all the winnings to charity...

We asked Gonzo about the gum incident when he came in that morning and he was amazed, amused and a little disturbed that we already knew about 'Gum Gate' the day after the original auction was closed down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith11.jpg

both-teams-played-hard
02-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Who are the Collyer Brothers???

And is that REALLY Eddie Gaedel's famous 1/8 th jersey in the back ground???

The two most prolific collectors of the 20th century. The Collyer Brothers did not own the Gaedel flannel.

Fnazxc0114
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
frik only giving you a hard time. coon skins go for about 20 bucks a pop where im at. we kill them becuase they are bad for the turkey/quail crop. they eat their eggs. those are some nice pics though. as far as the proven science not too sure where that ones from?

Fnazxc0114
02-24-2009, 09:10 PM
as far as guilt goes sometimes i feel guily spending so much money, but then my wife tells me its ok. if i were spending the mortgage payment or running up credit card debt then id feel bad. i prolem is my hunting and game used addictions. belive it or not the hunting one is worse than the g/u by about 2 to 1

OaklandAsFan
02-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Pretty much everything I own was personally given to me so no, I have no regrets.

geoff
02-25-2009, 01:03 AM
I do have Guilt sometimes after I Buy a Item or Items.I have toned down in recent Months in Buying and focused more on Trading if possible.But I get over the Guilt really fast and enjoy what I get because Collecting is a part of my Life and I enjoy doing this and I will keep on Collecting no matter what.

Always looking for Orioles Game Used Items.

Thanks
Geoff

geof631@yahoo.com

godwulf
02-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Always looking for Orioles Game Used Items.

Are you a fan of Pull Piece? (I think he's Korean.) I hear he may make the 25-man roster out of Orioles ST this year.

(Inside joke for those who read my "What the heck do I have?" thread.)

Btw, Brian even called his opposite number at Max Bats, who didn't have a clue what this was, either.

The world may never know.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9dc20b3127ccec617cd545ab400000040O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

gingi79
02-25-2009, 01:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith11.jpg

Now Xpress you know I support you on the whole wearing game worns thing but ya look like Fred Durst in this picture ;) Is it true Lip Bizkit is getting back together? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

suicide_squeeze
02-25-2009, 04:35 PM
as far as guilt goes sometimes i feel guily spending so much money, but then my wife tells me its ok. if i were spending the mortgage payment or running up credit card debt then id feel bad. i prolem is my hunting and game used addictions. belive it or not the hunting one is worse than the g/u by about 2 to 1

I definately have guilt about my G U collecting. I spend way more than I should on it, and have been of the "those guys" that a lot of you here refer too: I have a lot of debt on many cards that I expertly "manage" so that I end up paying close to nothing in fees and interest.

But it's a LOT of work, and you have to have PERFECT credit. I juggle balances between (drumroll please..........) 13 different credit cards.:eek: Not something I would suggest for anyone with less than a BA in Finance.

If you screw up ONE time with a late payment, or not make a balance transfer at the right opportunity, it's like a house of cards......you have to have a strong stomach. But it's all about the hobby. It's a passion, and it's a healthy passion. I make sure my other financial responsibilities are met first.........usually.:o

In reagrds to the hunting thing.......nothing personal, but I think people that hunt are twisted. HOW can you shoot a cute animal like that (a racoon or a deer)?

I feed racoons, squirels, birds, all the time right out of my hands where I live. I love God's little creatures. I leave a little bowl of water just outside my back door......so when the racoons climb down out of the huge tree in the front of my house and scamper accross my roof (we can always hear them).......they know that they have a "sink" to wash off the food I am about to hand them (a trait of racoon.....they ALWAYS try to wash off whatever they are about to eat). One night we were almost out of everything, so all I had to hand them were a few Orio cookies. Just like clockwork, the masked guy dipped em in the water.......All I could think was how crappy taste a sauggy Orio cookie must have tasted.....the little guy kept coming back for more. He ended up with a stomash ache in our patio.......I felt bad for him.

And please, DON'T come at me with the "it's mandated to reduce the deer population where I'm from" garbage, or "Do you KNOW how many possible deseases squirrels can carry" noise. If you shoot a living animal that's not a threat to your life.......you're a sick f&*k......period.

They also try to mandate the reduction of you "back country" folk from reproducing with your family members........and look how unsuccessful
THAT'S been over the years.....(please enter banjo theme from 'Deliverance' here)..........:p

suicide_squeeze
02-25-2009, 04:39 PM
......by the way, that's "Limp Bizkit" gingi79.....

godwulf
02-25-2009, 07:19 PM
In reagrds to the hunting thing.......nothing personal, but I think people that hunt are twisted.

Adding to the off-topic veer, my two cents - s.s., you are not alone. If you caught your ten-year-old going around the neighborhood killing stray cats, you'd take him to a shrink...but if a grownup wants to participate in the "thrill of hunting", you sell him a high-powered rifle and a license, and everybody's supposed to be all right with that? Hunting, unless it's the only way you and your family have to eat, is evidence of a mental disorder...or, at the very least, of some missing emotional component.

Fnazxc0114
02-25-2009, 08:42 PM
squeeze have no fears one day your house of cards will come tumbling down. its just a matter of time. as far as being a sick f#$# as you called me i am far from that as well. its just a matter of where and how we both may have been brought up. godwulf where does your steak come from? i am also a long ways from backwoods. people like you squeeze who lack the ability to manage their money are the ones who shouldnt reproduce. all you are is one step away from being on my dime. dont worry when everything comes apart ill be more than happy to bail you out. well actually dont worry about me helping you. since i can tell how you lean your govt can come and take care of you

godwulf
02-25-2009, 11:07 PM
godwulf where does your steak come from?

I know exactly where it comes from...and if I had to kill and slaughter it, myself, I, like a lot of people, maybe even a majority of people, would become a vegetarian. Not because I'm a wimp, or sheltered, or because I've "seen too many Disney movies" - but because watching any animal, particularly an intelligent, self-aware animal, die needlessly doesn't excite me, or make me happy or feel more like a man.

At least the folks who work in slaughterhouses are honest about it - they do the job for a paycheck. They don't pretend that what they're doing is a sport...or that they do it "for the thrill"...or because they honor and respect the cows, pigs and chickens they're killing, or any of that crap.

Vintagedeputy
02-25-2009, 11:10 PM
http://images.cafepress.com/jitcrunch.aspx?bG9hZD1ibGFuayxibGFuazo3X0ZfYzIzLmp wZ3xsb2FkPUwwLGh0dHA6Ly9pbWFnZXM5LmNhZmVwcmVzcy5jb 20vaW1hZ2UvNDIyMjE4OV80MDB4NDAwLmpwZ3x8c2NhbGU9TDA sMTUwLDEyMCxXaGl0ZXxjb21wb3NlPWJsYW5rLEwwLEFkZCwxN jAsMTAyfGNwPXJlc3VsdCxibGFua3xzY2FsZT1yZXN1bHQsMCw 0ODAsV2hpdGV8Y29tcHJlc3Npb249OTV8

Dewey2007
02-25-2009, 11:16 PM
I could see this thread going downhill with the first mention of something other then game used equipment.

Admin's please put this thead out of it's misery and lock it...

Fnazxc0114
02-25-2009, 11:16 PM
vintage thats pretty funny. godwuld if you would like to prevent this thread from getting derailed any more why dont we discuss this via pm. or we can just agree to disagree. i guess i wont brink up hunting any more and you can go and hang out at the peta website. for everything you say bad about hunting i can say something good about it and this post could go on and on.

chakes89
02-25-2009, 11:23 PM
I could see this thread going downhill with the first mention of something other then game used equipment.

Admin's please put this thead out of it's misery and lock it...
Why is everyone so quick to lock up the fun threads?

Were all adults here and I think we can take some good natured ribbing here and there

This place is so dry some times that it needs something to spice it up everyonce in a while

Vintagedeputy
02-25-2009, 11:24 PM
vintage thats pretty funny.

Just tryin to lighten everyone up a bit....we need a laugh. This site's been getting waaayyyy too serious.

Fnazxc0114
02-25-2009, 11:49 PM
vintage i would have given you a smiley face but i dont know how guess its cause im a backwoods country sick f#$% according to suicide squeeze. i like how people take the next step from one extreme to another.

Vintagedeputy
02-25-2009, 11:53 PM
vintage i would have given you a smiley face but i dont know how guess its cause im a backwoods country sick f#$% according to suicide squeeze. i like how people take the next step from one extreme to another.

No smiley required. I already know that you backward country folk approve of "squirrel eatin" LMAO :)

ndevlin
02-25-2009, 11:59 PM
I dont really care about hunting. Sure, its kinda sad....but whatever you want.

But, hunting does help the population of certain animals. Like deer, its actually an ok thing to hunt them, to control the population. Otherwise we'd hit them every day on the highway. Now, just once a month.

Ok there. Back to game used.

xpress34
02-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Now Xpress you know I support you on the whole wearing game worns thing but ya look like Fred Durst in this picture ;) Is it true Lip Bizkit is getting back together? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

Gingi -

Funny stuff... I've been given the Fred Durst thing a LOT for sometime... before the wife and I met, it actually worked pretty well meeting the ladies at clubs while Limp Bizkit was still popular... :cool:

suicide_squeeze
02-26-2009, 12:35 AM
vintage thats pretty funny. godwuld if you would like to prevent this thread from getting derailed any more why dont we discuss this via pm. or we can just agree to disagree. i guess i wont brink up hunting any more and you can go and hang out at the peta website. for everything you say bad about hunting i can say something good about it and this post could go on and on.

Hey, relax Fnazxc0114, you are way too uptight brother!!

All I'm saying is......Hunting isn't for everybody. I once shot a hummingbird at 60 yards with an air rifle.....had just put a scope on it, fine tuned it, and the beautiful little ruby-throated guy appeared and landed way up high to take a breather. I took his beak completely off......one shot, killed him instantly. It's really none of your or anybody elses business how sick and sad and remorseful that event made me feel, but I'm sharing it just to calm you down. It effected me to the point that I swore to myself I would never hurt another unsuspecting sweet animal that wasn't posing a threat to another human.

I say that because it's the way I felt. It's NOT what my BRAIN told me, it was a physical reaction to what I had just done. So, to me, it's a sick thing to see others do something that, in my natural reaction, tells me is so wrong.

So it's all good. I know where my steaks come from too, and I love a good steak. All I'm saying is it won't be me shooting the animal.

To this day, when I see footage of a bull goring a matador who "misstepped".........I smile.

When I see new footage of an ignorant cop shooting a beautiful mountain lion who strayed too far down the hillside and into a neighborhood becasue the poor thing was starving due to a recent forrest fire that wiped out it's food sources.......my blood boils.

I hope you understand. And from your comments, I believe it's not the hunting stuff that really upset you.

I really believe I hit a nerve with the "interbreeding" stuff.

Happy hunting, Uncle JEB. (I think I hear that banjo in the background again........)

kudu
02-26-2009, 01:08 AM
Hey, relax Fnazxc0114, you are way too uptight brother!!

It effected me to the point that I swore to myself I would never hurt another unsuspecting sweet animal that wasn't posing a threat to another human.....

....When I see new footage of an ignorant cop shooting a beautiful mountain lion who strayed too far down the hillside and into a neighborhood becasue the poor thing was starving due to a recent forrest fire that wiped out it's food sources.......my blood boils.

Huh??:confused:

suicide_squeeze
02-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Huh??:confused:

You need clarification, kudo?

They have Animal Regulation people that can tranquilize the animal and safely relocate them to their natural habitat. Shooting and killing the animal is usually what a stupid police officer will do before the proper authorities are called in to take care of the situation properly.

suicide_squeeze
02-26-2009, 01:08 PM
In any case, this is way off base now.

Getting back to the theme of the thread, I have another related comment.

Guilt is most likely associated with second-guessing what you just bought. Someone mentioned (in an earlier post) buyer's remorse......it's a definite close sister. If you start to worry about what you are "paying" for while going after something you want in your collection, then you are already paying too much. There is another force in your conscious trying to tell you something.

I'm guessing that Frikativ is most likely second guessing what she would do if her elaborate Jeff Bagwell collection has to face the music if his name comes up in the "steroid" stuff. It obviously would lose some "steam" in the collecting world if it does. And that simply would be an undesireable sitch to be in, even if she still "loves" the guy. We have to be honest with ourselves......Yes, most of what we buy for our collections, we buy because we are passionate about it. But the stuff has significant value, too. To see the value take a serious hit.......sucks huge.

Frik, if you are in ANY way worried about such an event, then I would suggest you start to unload some of his stuff and maybe look to diversify into a few other players.

We have all heard about the warning in the financial world "Putting all your eggs in one basket". The same goes for almost anything.....including game used items.

godwulf
02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
So far, most of the guilt feelings discussed have related to money - whether you could be doing something "more worthwhile", whether for yourself or someone else, with the bucks you spend on the hobby...but another "guilt feelings" aspect just occurred to me.

A number of years ago, I bought an old game-used Dwayne Murphy gamer from a guy in the media who knew all the DBacks bat boys at the time, and was always getting bats from them to put on eBay or sell directly to me; Murphy was a DBacks coach at the time. The bat was obviously from Murphy's playing days, and I was told that the bat boy had "asked him for one of his old bats", and Murphy had brought this bat from home, presumably from his own collection, and given it to the bat boy...who immediately sold it to me for fifty bucks.

Now, I suspect that Murphy would not have been quite so eager to give away one of his old gamers to the kid, if he'd known that the kid was just going to turn around and sell it - is that fair to say? So, even though I don't think that I necessarily did anything wrong in the situation...I still felt somewhat funny about it, and still do. It's not like I recruited the bat boy to get one of Murphy's bats, or anything like that; still, I have to admit to feeling a little guilty about the bat coming to me the way it did. Do you know what I mean?

Vintagedeputy
02-26-2009, 02:29 PM
So far, most of the guilt feelings discussed have related to money - whether you could be doing something "more worthwhile", whether for yourself or someone else, with the bucks you spend on the hobby...but another "guilt feelings" aspect just occurred to me.

A number of years ago, I bought an old game-used Dwayne Murphy gamer from a guy in the media who knew all the DBacks bat boys at the time, and was always getting bats from them to put on eBay or sell directly to me; Murphy was a DBacks coach at the time. The bat was obviously from Murphy's playing days, and I was told that the bat boy had "asked him for one of his old bats", and Murphy had brought this bat from home, presumably from his own collection, and given it to the bat boy...who immediately sold it to me for fifty bucks.

Now, I suspect that Murphy would not have been quite so eager to give away one of his old gamers to the kid, if he'd known that the kid was just going to turn around and sell it - is that fair to say? So, even though I don't think that I necessarily did anything wrong in the situation...I still felt somewhat funny about it, and still do. It's not like I recruited the bat boy to get one of Murphy's bats, or anything like that; still, I have to admit to feeling a little guilty about the bat coming to me the way it did. Do you know what I mean?

I understand what you are saying, and I dont think that in that case you should feel guilty.

I have a gorgeous Mark Grace gamer from his last season as a D-Back. He gave bat to former pitcher/teammate Scott Service as a momento of his career. Service ended up giving the bat to a police officer and the officer put it up on ebay where I bought it.

I'm sure that Gracie didnt intend for the bat to take that route, but it did through no fault of his and I bought it through no fault of mine. No guilt, no worries. Grace was always a favorite of mine and its a treasured piece of my collection.

chakes89
02-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I regret paying $95 for a Felipe Lopez bat back in 2002

godwulf
02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
I regret paying $95 for a Felipe Lopez bat back in 2002

Why is that?

suicide_squeeze
02-26-2009, 02:58 PM

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, godwulf.

I'll give you $60.00 bucks for it!???:p

godwulf
02-26-2009, 03:05 PM
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, godwulf.

I'll give you $60.00 bucks for it!???:p

Nah...it's the only Murphy bat I own, and I try to get at least one for every coach who comes through the organization. I even managed to find one of Buck Showalter's, from back in his minor league playing days.

chakes89
02-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Why is that?
Because he never panned out like he was supposed to with the Reds and I only got $25 when I sold it

both-teams-played-hard
02-27-2009, 09:12 PM
I feel guilty because of a purchase I made on the "Shop at Home" channel a few years ago. I bought a 1987 Bellingham Mariners team set for $199. It's worth at least five thousand dollars. I consider it an investment. If those folks were foolish enough to sell it at such a bargain...then, that's their own fault. By the way, it's factory sealed. Yes, I said factory sealed! PRISTINE condition! This mp3 link is from that magical night:
billingham.mp3 (http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/6536_dyj6d/billingham.mp3)
This is one of the greatest deals ever offered on "Shop at Home". Factory sealed!

JasonBanz
02-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Guilt? As long as I can afford it and the wife is happy and has enough money for her scrapbooking stuff, no guilt!