PDA

View Full Version : BMH Unmasked!

metsbats
02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
http://www.slugger.com/press/hillerich-2-22-08.html

Here's a press release from www.slugger.com (http://www.slugger.com) on Brian Hillerich (aka BMH).

I think it's an honor and a priviledge that we are able to interact with such baseball bat royalty!

Thanks Brian for all you do for us and unselfishly sharing your time and invaluable information.

Have fun in Spring training as you retrace the steps of your great grandfather.

tigerdale
02-22-2009, 08:41 PM
awesome story....He's a class act & we are lucky he's a part of this forum!!!

BMH
02-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh good God, you had to find that...

metsbats
02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Oh good God, you had to find that...

With the amount of time all of us spend on the internet it was only a matter of time:D

allstarsplus
02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Brian - You are a great asset to this Forum and you GIVE and never ask for anything in return.

Do you collect any sports memorabilia for your own collection?

Thanks again for all you do!!!!

ironmanfan
02-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Nice article. Though I wish sometimes that MLB would go to aluminum

Frik....someone would mostly likely be badly injured or at the very worst killed if MLB went to Aluminum (let alone the integrity of the records; yeah I know the steroid thing)

metsbats
02-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Can we open another thread to debate wood verse Alum?

This is very very OT.

Thanks

xpress34
02-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Just a quick note to hopefully relieve Les of some of her worries about wood usage in bats...

While I'm not certain of LVS policies, I'm sure that they do the same thing as Rawlings.

When Rawlings bought out the Adirondack Bat company in the 1950's the also took over the Adirondack's forestry project which plants and nurtures trees to replace what they take down for bat manufacturing.

It's not like they just randomly cut down trees until a forest is gone and then go looking for the next forest to destroy.

In case any of you don't know - and I have mentioned it in other threads here - I use to work for Rawlings...

On a side note, various woods have been tried to make bats over the years, but Ash and Maple have always held their ground. In fact, a few years ago there was an experiment to try European Birch fro MLB bats. The problem was it was cost prohibitive due to foreign object damage.

The trees that were cut down to try out the wood for bats came from forests that had been battleground areas during WWI and WWII. During the processing of the wood, the plants kept coming across metal fragments in the wood from old bombs, bullets, etc so they end result was very few - sometimes only one bat billet per tree so the project was canceled as last I heard.

All the best -

Chris

ChrisCavalier
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
This thread was intended to focus on the great service Brian has done for the forum and hobby. Obviously it has gone completely off-track into something that has nothing to do with this forum.

If you would like to discuss the use of aluminum bats that one thing but we are not a site to discuss environmentalism, etc.

We are locking this thread and deleting unnecessary posts. If you would like to discuss the article about Brian I believe this thread will do:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23488

Please also note the following rules for the future:

No Trolling or Baiting. You will not post any topic that disrupts the peace and harmony of this forum. Please do not create meaningless threads with the sole purpose of starting a dispute. This includes messages in profiles and signatures.

No Topic Changing. Please do not derail threads because you do not agree with their content. If you do not like what you read, find or start a different thread.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.