PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to Canada Question

kellsox
02-22-2009, 01:50 PM
I usually don't ship to Canada but was wondering what would be the best carrier/method and also what it usually costs to ship a jersey. Any help would be appreciated.
kelly

allstarsplus
02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
For ease of shipment and cost, definitely the good ole USPS.

I ship all domestic using Fedex but worth the drive to the Post Office for packages to Canada.

trsent
02-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I would check the rate for a 2 pound package to Canada at USPS.com. I would only use Priority Mail International, as it includes tracking and some insurance (I believe $80.00 built-in and you can add more in person at the post office).

I would pay and print my shipping labels and custom forums at home (you need to install java which if you don't already have you should have anyway) as you save a little over at the post office prices.

xpress34
02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Also - and I know this sounds a little risky - you should consult your shipping partner and see if they want the item insured for full value.

The reason being is you will have to fill out a green customs form and declare the value of the item and your shipping partner in Canada has to pay taxes on the value and type of item.

On smaller things, if you mark it as a gift with a value of $25 or less, there is no tax. Anything over $25 and marked other than gift will cost them when they receive the item.

- Chris

camarokids
02-22-2009, 05:01 PM
FYI, when shipping to Canada or overseas always stipulate the buyer pays any and all taxes(levies)......

You cannot do tracking to Canada.....USPS does not offer, but Canada Post does offer when shipping to the USA...go figure:rolleyes:....

Sincityson
02-22-2009, 05:21 PM
USPS is the best approach when shipping to Canada in my opinion. The standard airmail is always fairly quick.

UPS & Fedex have fairly high duty fees for Canadian buyers on receiving packages that are marked a high value and not marked as a gift.

UPS is a complete ripoff with regard to the duty/tax they charge on arriving packages. Avoid them if possible!

chakes89
01-18-2010, 12:07 AM
I currently have a jersey on eBay that a Canada bidder is interested in purchasing and I have no idea how to go about shipping anything to Canada. Therefore, I have no idea what to charge him/her for shipping.

Can anyone provide any insight on what it will cost to send something to Canada via USPS Priority Mail?

I used the USPS online shipping estimator and the price that I given seems a little high because I quoted the price that I thought was accurate and my prospective buyer said that it was about $10 more than he is usually charged for shipping.

Will it be easier/cheaper to send something via First Class Mail over Priority Mail or vice versa?

Thanks!

NYCrulesU
01-18-2010, 12:15 AM
I don't ship to Canada. Don't trust them. Too many people in Canada file charge backs.

STLHAMMER32
01-18-2010, 12:20 AM
I lost a few of my favorite Josh Hamilton items shipping to a scammer in Canada who never emailed me with any problems and then 2 months later filed a claim that they were never received. I lost my items and had to refund him his money. Bad experience to say the least.

cjw
01-18-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't ship to Canada. Don't trust them. Too many people in Canada file charge backs.

Easy guys..let's not discriminate...at least, just one way. I am a Canuck that has sold and bought on Ebay for over 10 years and as most of my customers are from the States, most of the few issues I have had is with US buyers, who can get upset when the itms doesn't arrive within 3 days of it being sent.

Items crossing the border (both ways) have to clear US or Canadian Customs which slows shipping. Canadian postal rates are more expensive (even considering exchanges rates) than in the US and I typically have to charge less than I spend on shipping things Expedited (4-10 business day delivery), and even that can be more than my US customers think is fair.

Chargebacks and rip-offs? Right now, I have filed a chargeback against a US seller for an item I paid over $300 US for, in Sept. and have not recieved. This is the first US-buyer related chargeback I have ever filed (thousands of transactions). Also, I won three things this past month (all US sellers) and one hasn't arrived (30 days have passed), one came in a ripped, shoddy envelope and the seller charged me $13 in excess shipping!

Please understand that it goes both ways.

Back to your question. Typically I have paid $15 for a jersey or up to $20 for a bat to reach me in Canada, from all over the States.

dirtyla2000
01-18-2010, 04:47 AM
Just plain ignorance! NO shady dealers in the U.S EH! Dont forget the tricky chinese and those shady euro sellers! YISH!:mad:

Jays1fan
01-18-2010, 08:01 AM
I ship to Canada all the time. I use UPS. Prices start about $18.50 and I think the Most I spent was about $25-$30. But , It gives You Tracking and upto $100 insurance too. Plus they are Faster. Customers usually get there items in 4 days.
Now to compare to USPS ..You would have to send Express International to get about the same service , but they cost MORE...
Example , because of the weight ..a Game Used Base was about $50 at the USPS Express comparted to about $25 using UPS Canada Standard.
Hope this Helps.
Scott

TriplexXxSports
01-18-2010, 08:05 AM
I have shipped to Canada on numerous occasions. To answer your question, it will be $17-$25 to ship Priority (depending on options and product weight). If you insure it or require signature confirmation it will add to the cost.

Another thing you can do is ask the potential buyer for his zip code. Then you can go to USPS.com and calculate the shipping costs based on his location.

I would just send it standard Priority (delivery confirmation included), charge a solid $20 and call it a day.

otismalibu
01-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I ship to Canada all the time. I use UPS. Prices start about $18.50 and I think the Most I spent was about $25-$30. But , It gives You Tracking and upto $100 insurance too.

Yeah, and then UPS passes along their brokerage fee to the buyer. Not good.

If you use USPS, there's no Delivery Confirmation to Canada.

Not to mention the taxes on declared value.

I'm a Canuck living in the States and I only ship to USA addresses.

TriplexXxSports
01-18-2010, 09:39 AM
If you use USPS, there's no Delivery Confirmation to Canada.

Sure there is - every time you print a Priority label you get a confirmation number.

Here's a copy of a Priority Label for Canada. I circled the Delivery Confirmation number.

TriplexXxSports
01-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Also, you can see that I shipped a jersey. Total weight 1lb 10oz and the total was $19 and some change.

Like I said, charge him an even $20, ship it Priority, and call it a day. I have never once had a problem.

Item will be delivered in 5-10 days and you can use the confirmation number to track it all the way.

Jays1fan
01-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Also, you can see that I shipped a jersey. Total weight 1lb 10oz and the total was $19 and some change.

Like I said, charge him an even $20, ship it Priority, and call it a day. I have never once had a problem.

Item will be delivered in 5-10 days and you can use the confirmation number to track it all the way.

That is not bad IF you can Print ONLINE. otherwise no DC for Canada if you go to the Post office for priority.
My last UPS Shipping to Canada was 3.30 Pounds Actual Weight but billed at 4 pounds. Total Cost was $21.60 and it included extra Insurance at $200 which was $2 , so if I wanted to just have the $100 insurance it would have been only $19.60. So for the SELLER , I would go UPS. At least you are insured that way and still get the tracking.

both-teams-played-hard
01-18-2010, 10:23 AM
TripleX
You posted a scan of a customs number. It is not a tracking number. It proves that the item has been sent, but will not confirm delivery.
The item must be sent EXPRESS mail or REGISTERED mail. Without a tracking number they can easily get the money back with PayPal. Express mail is roughly $20.

otismalibu
01-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Sure there is - every time you print a Priority label you get a confirmation number.

So do you still need to take that to the post office and fill out the customs form in person? I didn't think you could just print postage and drop off an int'l package.

That's a much better option.

Still, one package took exactly 30 days from STL to the east coast of Canada. Not worth it, to me.

Jays1fan
01-18-2010, 10:31 AM
TripleX
You posted a scan of a customs number. It is not a tracking number. It proves that the item has been sent, but will not confirm delivery.
The item must be sent EXPRESS mail or REGISTERED mail. Without a tracking number they can easily get the money back with PayPal. Express mail is roughly $20.

Actually , that was a Tracking Number. I looked it up on USPS and Canada Post. It showed the Delivery information.
Express mail is MORE than $20. a bat cost me $39.15 before the rates went up and it was 2 lbs 13 oz. and a 6 lb package using express cost me $48 while a 8 lb GU Base using UPS only cost me $21

both-teams-played-hard
01-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Actually , that was a Tracking Number. I looked it up on USPS and Canada Post. It showed the Delivery information.
Express mail is MORE than $20. a bat cost me $39.15 before the rates went up and it was 2 lbs 13 oz. and a 6 lb package using express cost me $48 while a 8 lb GU Base using UPS only cost me $21

It shows the item crossed the border. It doesn't say it was delivered to the address in Canada. Just call PayPal and ask if the seller is protected with a customs number. If PayPal wasn't used, please ignore me.

Jays1fan
01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
It shows the item crossed the border. It doesn't say it was delivered to the address in Canada. Just call PayPal and ask if the seller is protected with a customs number. If PayPal wasn't used, please ignore me.

Not True.
It says:
Label/Receipt Number: CQ67 0226 489U S
Class: Priority Mail International Parcels
Service(s): International Parcels
Your item was delivered in CANADA at 12:05 PM on December 22, 2009.

And it has the SAME information as a US DC.
Label/Receipt Number: 0308 2040 0000 7930 4680
Class: First-Class Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™
Your item was delivered at 9:44 AM on December 2, 2009 in NEW YORK, NY 10007.

both-teams-played-hard
01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
According to PayPal, a seller is only protected by shipping with a tracking number. A customs number just proves it crossed the border at Canadian customs. PayPal does not recognize the item as being delivered, just because it reached the country of Canada. EXPRESS mail and REGISTERED mail are the only services used by the Post Office that offer tracking numbers to Canada. I do not know the regulations of UPS.

ball don't lie

Jays1fan
01-18-2010, 11:26 AM
According to PayPal, a seller is only protected by shipping with a tracking number. A customs number just proves it crossed the border at Canadian customs. PayPal does not recognize the item as being delivered, just because it reached the country of Canada. EXPRESS mail and REGISTERED mail are the only services used by the Post Office that offer tracking numbers to Canada. I do not know the regulations of UPS.

ball don't lie

Again not true and you are mistaken.
Here is the Paypal info:
Proof of delivery
Proof of delivery is acceptable documentation if a buyer files a claim, chargeback, or reversal for either an unauthorized payment or merchandise not received. You need online tracking information from a shipping company that:

Shows the status as delivered.
Shows the date of delivery.
Includes the recipient’s address, showing at least the city/state or ZIP code (or their equivalent).
For payments of $250 USD (or local currency equivalent) or more, includes proof of the recipient's signature to confirm delivery.It is Not a "Tracking Number" that they want but "Tracking Information".
So the Number thta XXX provided , DID show what paypal wants.
Now, you can Use USPS EXPRESS and get both Insurance and Signature Confirmation ..The Same that you get with UPS .but it will cost you more.

STLHAMMER32
01-18-2010, 11:39 AM

ball don't lie

I tried to provide these customs numbers to paypal and lost my case. They said they needed actual proof of delivery. I am sure plenty of transactions go well in Canada but my one and only turned out horrible so I will only ship in the U.S.

both-teams-played-hard
01-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Again not true and you are mistaken.
Here is the Paypal info:
Proof of delivery
Proof of delivery is acceptable documentation if a buyer files a claim, chargeback, or reversal for either an unauthorized payment or merchandise not received. You need online tracking information from a shipping company that:
[LIST=1]
Shows the status as delivered.
Shows the date of delivery.
Includes the recipient’s address, showing at least the city/state or ZIP code (or their equivalent).

We are talking about delivery to Canada. The customs information you showed does not have a city or providence or Canadian postal code or equivalent. A buyer can do a chargeback with PayPal, when shipping to Canada, if all the seller has is a customs number. Just call the PayPal "claims" department.

I wish to hang up, before this becomes a pee-pee match.

Good night and God Bless.

TriplexXxSports
01-18-2010, 12:18 PM
TripleX

Seems like delivery confirmation to me....

TriplexXxSports
01-18-2010, 12:20 PM
So do you still need to take that to the post office and fill out the customs form in person? I didn't think you could just print postage and drop off an int'l package.

That's a much better option.

Still, one package took exactly 30 days from STL to the east coast of Canada. Not worth it, to me.

You can request free carrier pick-up at your location. No need to go anywhere.

TriplexXxSports
01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
If you have a copy of the original shipping label (like the one I pictured) which verifies the confirmation number - and they can look that number up via USPS and confirm that it was delivered, PayPal won't have a leg to stand on.

Just because the website doesn't show the address or zip that the item was delivered at, they can cross check the actual address with the original shipping label.

sylbry
01-18-2010, 01:11 PM
I lost a few of my favorite Josh Hamilton items shipping to a scammer in Canada who never emailed me with any problems and then 2 months later filed a claim that they were never received. I lost my items and had to refund him his money. Bad experience to say the least.

Same thing happened to me with an Arod batting glove. I had the receipt showing I shipped it and I had the Canadian customs form number. Paypal didn't care and sided with the buyer. I will never sell to anyone in Canada again.

sylbry
01-18-2010, 01:14 PM

Here's a copy of a Priority Label for Canada. I circled the Delivery Confirmation number.

That number didn't do quat for me. I provided that number to paypal and they still sided with the buyer.

STLHAMMER32
01-18-2010, 01:21 PM
That number didn't do quat for me. I provided that number to paypal and they still sided with the buyer.

Yep I talked to the claims department and they said it would not be enough to go in my favor. Lost my product and my money.

Sincityson
01-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Although UPS has excellent service and tracking, etc.. I would never use them. They absolutely charge over the top on brokerage/duty fees when packages arrive if they aren't marked as a gift and a low value. If more than FedEx/Puraltor and USPS. It's essentially a ripoff.

Expect a nice bill if you get anything of value sent by UPS. Besides it costs more to send via UPS for almost the same service as USPS if it's just basic mailing. I'd only use UPS if it's an extremely rare or valuable item.

sCs

Sincityson
01-18-2010, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't draw that conclusion on just one item. Things like that will happen from time to time. Canada is without question the safest country in the world to ship to from the USA.

I will never sell to anyone in Canada again.

NYCrulesU
01-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Same thing happened to me with an Arod batting glove. I had the receipt showing I shipped it and I had the Canadian customs form number. Paypal didn't care and sided with the buyer. I will never sell to anyone in Canada again.

Same here. I will ONLY ship within the US. As mentioned here already, PayPal is useless when you get scammed from outside the country. They're not much help when you get scammed from within the US, but totally useless when it's from Canada or overseas. Many buyers in Canada know this, they use the failed sytem to their advantage. Anyone who does not see this clearly is behind the times and should get out more often.

Just not worth it. As for the comment about Canada being the safest country to ship to, thanks. That actually made me LOL. Needed a good one today.

Sincityson
01-18-2010, 03:26 PM
I stand by my statement 100%, and so will the majority others. Canada Post is considered one of the best postal systems in the world, and their service is for the most part top notch. I have a few friends that have work there in various capacities and am very aware of how they operate.

So you had a bad experience, everyone does every so often, it's happens. No need to knock the system though.. I guess I can't explain it if you've never been to Canada or understand the system,etc.. LOL all you want.

Just not worth it. As for the comment about Canada being the safest country to ship to, thanks. That actually made me LOL. Needed a good one today.

Lokee
01-18-2010, 03:41 PM
I have shipped alot of things to Canada. I can say this, between Canada and Italy I have lost about 5 or 6 packages. I have also lost a couple using USPS within the USA as well. :rolleyes:

Sincityson
01-18-2010, 03:54 PM
I've heard people having issues with Italy as well, I'm not sure why, the postal system there seems to be very organized.. Luckily I've never had anything lost when sending there.

Apparently the most problematic places are Malaysia, Indonesia, and some of the eastern European countries. Lost one pack sending to Malaysia, yet had several others that arrived within one week. Never lost anything to the US or Canada. Also never lost anything to Mexico, yet only sent a few packages there.

I have shipped alot of things to Canada. I can say this, between Canada and Italy I have lost about 5 or 6 packages. I have also lost a couple using USPS within the USA as well. :rolleyes: