PDA

View Full Version : What's the word on Manny Ramirez???

camarokids
02-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Have not seen any new articles on MLB.com about MR.

Does anyone know any scoops about negotiations or anything else???

Have the Dodgers given up on him?

Rob L
02-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Nothing yet. Boras will wait the Dodgers out. It is unlikely he will go anywhere else. The Dodgers already have a locker for him in Glendale.

frikativ54
02-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Nothing yet. Boras will wait the Dodgers out. It is unlikely he will go anywhere else. The Dodgers already have a locker for him in Glendale.

He's got to sign soon. You'd think he'd want to be ready for the beginning of the season.

suave1477
02-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Torre had said recently while talking about his book what he thought about Manny' situation. He said he expects Manny to come back.

suicide_squeeze
02-20-2009, 12:07 AM
There is NO WAY the Dodgers let Manny get away. NO WAY.

They still have their one-year $25 million offer on the table (see USA Today-Sports-MLB). Absent an attempt to steal Manny by another team, the Dodgers are under no pressure to up the offer (in terms of years).

I believe by the time this is all said and done, Manny will get 2 years, maybe $23 mil per, with an optional 3rd year for $15-16 mil, with a $3-4 mil buy-out option.

He would get the extra years if an offer arrises from (say) the Giants, maybe a last minute effort by another team, but that's unlikely......so Manny may just end up with his one year gold mine. I suppose he could hold out and not sign, making a demand with a 'multi-year or nothing' threat, but that won't do him any good in future negotiations, so it's also unlikely. He hit the worst economy since Babe Ruth days to negotiate a new contract........he and Bore-Ass are just going to have to face the music, be adult about it, and sign.

Whatever they do, I certainly wish they would DO IT already......I've held off on buying ANY Dodger tickets this season for this exact reason......

.....................NO MANNY???...........NO MONEY from me..........PERIOD!

Signed,

A serious Dodger fan who is trying to be patient!!:mad:

xpress34
02-20-2009, 12:22 AM
He's got to sign soon. You'd think he'd want to be ready for the beginning of the season.

You really think ManRam gives crap about being ready for the season?

He and Boras have made it quite clear that all they care about is money.

I hope no one signs him and he sits out for a year or two like Sammy Sosa after he said he was insulted by the offers he was receiving and refused to sign... then he had to eat some humble pie and take way less money to get back to the majors...

Just my .02

- Chris

frikativ54
02-20-2009, 12:24 AM
You really think ManRam gives crap about being ready for the season?

He and Boras have made it quite clear that all they care about is money.

I hope no one signs him and he sits out for a year or two like Sammy Sosa after he said he was insulted by the offers he was receiving and refused to sign... then he had to eat some humble pie and take way less money to get back to the majors...

Just my .02

- Chris

That's true. It kind of made me mad that ManRam said he wanted to be a Dodger for the rest of his career, and now this "highest bidder" crap. I hate Boras. What a loser - he can't even go out making money on his own, so he has to get rich off his clients.

chakes89
02-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Manny probably just doesn't want to go through another spring training

It's not like he needs it

frikativ54
02-20-2009, 12:33 AM

But if he doesn't play ST, then that's going to cause a lot of resentment between him and his teammates. He wouldn't want to be another Bonds, would he?

suicide_squeeze
02-20-2009, 12:37 AM

I don't even know if you realize how accurate of a statement you just made.

He most definately gets a BETTER workout, and prepares himself better, than anything they could do for him in spring training. His work ethic on his own is legendary. He will come to camp (whenever that is) in great top shape. He's in no hurry.....guaranteed.

But the 'comradery' thing is important too, so I hope it's not too long.

Masimen
02-20-2009, 12:48 AM
That's true. It kind of made me mad that ManRam said he wanted to be a Dodger for the rest of his career, and now this "highest bidder" crap. I hate Boras. What a loser - he can't even go out making money on his own, so he has to get rich off his clients.

Nor sure I understand this statement. I am by no means a Boras fan, but to say he cant make money on his own and he has to get rich off his clients is like saying a heart surgeon cant make money on his own and has to get rich off his patients. He is an agent. No clients = No money.

frikativ54
02-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Nor sure I understand this statement. I am by no means a Boras fan, but to say he cant make money on his own and he has to get rich off his clients is like saying a heart surgeon cant make money on his own and has to get rich off his patients. He is an agent. No clients = No money.

Well, he couldn't. I mean, he was a third-rate ballplayer, and now he's a rich agent. If you can't make the show, then get rich off your clients. A heart-surgeon is a totally different ballgame here. No comparison.

chakes89
02-20-2009, 01:08 AM
I can almost guarantee that his teammates could care less whether he is in camp or not

They would probably prefer to not be around him everyday for the next month and a half

They only care if he is on the field for opening day and batting 3rd

Masimen
02-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Well, he couldn't. I mean, he was a third-rate ballplayer, and now he's a rich agent. If you can't make the show, then get rich off your clients. A heart-surgeon is a totally different ballgame here. No comparison.

He is not a ball player now. He is an agent. That is his current chosen profession. He makes a living off of getting his clients contracts. A heart surgeon makes a living off patients who need surgery. The owner of the team makes a living on ticket sakes and ancillaries. A salesman makes a living off customers. It's all the same. He provides a service and people in need of that service pay for it. Some guys who can't make the big leagues sell cars, some are teachers, some are businessmen, etc. This is what he chose to do and he obviously has a knack for it. We may not like him, but we cannot begrudge him the living that he makes.

frikativ54
02-20-2009, 01:11 AM
I can almost guarantee that his teammates could care less whether he is in camp or not

They would probably prefer to not be around him everyday for the next month and a half

They only care if he is on the field for opening day and batting 3rd

If I were some scrub on the LAD bench, working my a$$ off for a shot to pinch-hit, I would be pi$$ed as heLL that a guy didn't have to even show up for ST, and would still automatically have a spot at #3 in the lineup. I would be resentful big time. Not a way to positively influence team chemistry.

chakes89
02-20-2009, 01:16 AM
It's not like were talking about Joe Blow from AAA or some hot shot minor league prospect,

IT'S MANNY FREAKING RAMIREZ!

500 HRs, Future HOF, Carried the Dodgers on his back to the playoffs

He is above every player on the Dodgers roster at this moment so what anyone else thinks about the situation is null and void because the Dodgers need him to do anything productive this season

Manny knows that, The Dodgers know that and The players know that

frikativ54
02-20-2009, 01:19 AM
This is what he chose to do and he obviously has a knack for it. We may not like him, but we cannot begrudge him the living that he makes.

Yeah, he has a "knack" for what he does, but I cannot stand his business ethics. If a player he represents is 18, fresh out of high school, he waxes sentimental about how he's the next A-Rod or Mays. How he's much better than that college guy who is 22, because he's a whooping four years younger than him. And think of his 20 years of MLB success.

Now, if he's representing a college kid, he'll boast about how much closer to the Bigs his kid is because he's so much more polished than the 18-year-old who is out of high school, and will take a few years to mature into a talent. But this college guy is a proven commodity! So - Boras will say. He's so much better than that 18-year-old, and he'll be ready for MLB action in 2010.

He is just a manipulative, sweet-talking salesman who is only after his big, fat wallet. I wish there were no place in the world for such sophistry. But sadly, those who manipulate owners and GMs have quite a home in baseball today. I have no respect for Scott Boras, and I never will.

Masimen
02-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Yeah, he has a "knack" for what he does, but I cannot stand his business ethics. If a player he represents is 18, fresh out of high school, he waxes sentimental about how he's the next A-Rod or Mays. How he's much better than that college guy who is 22, because he's a whooping four years younger than him. And think of his 20 years of MLB success.

Now, if he's representing a college kid, he'll boast about how much closer to the Bigs his kid is because he's so much more polished than the 18-year-old who is out of high school, and will take a few years to mature into a talent. But this college guy is a proven commodity! So - Boras will say. He's so much better than that 18-year-old, and he'll be ready for MLB action in 2010.

He is just a manipulative, sweet-talking salesman who is only after his big, fat wallet. I wish there were no place in the world for such sophistry. But sadly, those who manipulate owners and GMs have quite a home in baseball today. I have no respect for Scott Boras, and I never will.

Now that statement makes a lot more sense than your original one. I wasn't arguing with the merits of Scott Boris. I just didn't agree on how it was presented that the only way he can make money is to get rich off his clients. Profiting off your clients is how the world works. That is what Business is all about. Personally I think the guy represents a huge problem in baseball, but hat being said, if I was a player I would want to get every last dollar I could, and he seems to be the guy to go to. There in lies the rub.

frikativ54
02-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Now that statement makes a lot more sense than your original one. I wasn't arguing with the merits of Scott Boris. I just didn't agree on how it was presented that the only way he can make money is to get rich off his clients. Profiting off your clients is how the world works. That is what Business is all about. Personally I think the guy represents a huge problem in baseball, but hat being said, if I was a player I would want to get every last dollar I could, and he seems to be the guy to go to. There in lies the rub.

Fair enough. But I immediately think less of any guy who uses Scott Boras. If you are a ballplayer, and you are talented enough, your stats will do the talking. No need to hire an agent to gouge your owner and put the fans through the stress of not being sure whether or not their star player is being signed.

Masimen
02-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Fair enough. But I immediately think less of any guy who uses Scott Boras. If you are a ballplayer, and you are talented enough, your stats will do the talking. No need to hire an agent to gouge your owner and put the fans through the stress of not being sure whether or not their star player is being signed.

Ok, one last thing here. No need to hire and Agent? If you are a pro ball player and you don't hire an agent you are doing yourself a huge disservice, unless of course you have a degree in contract law. Even your boy Bagwell has one of the biggest money agents on the business Barry Axlerod.

frikativ54
02-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Ok, one last thing here. No need to hire and Agent? If you are a pro ball player and you don't hire an agent you are doing yourself a huge disservice, unless of course you have a degree in contract law. Even your boy Bagwell has one of the biggest money agents on the business Barry Axlerod.

No - I didn't say no need to hire an agent. Agents can be very helpful and useful in negotiating stuff. What I have a problem with is the two-faced sophistry that passes for negotiation that Boras represents. Fair market value is one thing. It's just the absurd figures of Boras that I have a problem with.

I honestly know nothing about Barry Axelrod, except of course that he represented Jeff Bagwell. Care to clue me in?

People of course have the right to make money. But you have to use ethical means in so doing. And speaking out of both sides of your mouth during negotiations just to line your pockets is totally unethical.

Masimen
02-20-2009, 01:48 AM
No - I didn't say no need to hire an agent. Agents can be very helpful and useful in negotiating stuff. What I have a problem with is the two-faced sophistry that passes for negotiation that Boras represents. Fair market value is one thing. It's just the absurd figures of Boras that I have a problem with.

I honestly know nothing about Barry Axelrod, except of course that he represented Jeff Bagwell. Care to clue me in?

People of course have the right to make money. But you have to use ethical means in so doing. And speaking out of both sides of your mouth during negotiations just to line your pockets is totally unethical.

They didn't go to law school to learn to speak out of one side of their mouth!

frikativ54
02-20-2009, 01:51 AM
They didn't go to law school to learn to speak out of one side of their mouth!

That's so true. The last thing in life I have ever wanted to be is a lawyer. There are a few professions that are lower, but I'd risk suspension discussing them. Never thought too much of lawyers.

David
02-20-2009, 03:06 AM
Boras has a law degree, but, interestingly, most player agents aren't lawyers.

skyking26
02-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I say let manny sit. Who cares. Let's do a reality check. Why let this guy go against what we all know is a huge recession in America and think he is going to hold a gun to the highest bidder?

The Dodgers screwed up and should have realized this as soon as Abreu and Dunn signed. Nuff said.

kellsox
02-20-2009, 11:15 AM
While I'm not a Boras fan, I feel he must be doing something right as many of baseball's top players hire him as their agent. He typically gets the highest contract value for his clients. Think about it- he takes the criticism for the negotiations and seems to shield his clients from appearing greedy, etc... he doesn't seem to care what people think of him and in his business that's not really a bad thing. Boras may not be that different from most other agents- just higher profile. People may not agree with his tactics, but at the end of the day he's representing some of the best players in the game and signing them up for big money.
k

frikativ54
02-20-2009, 08:58 PM
While I'm not a Boras fan, I feel he must be doing something right as many of baseball's top players hire him as their agent. He typically gets the highest contract value for his clients. Think about it- he takes the criticism for the negotiations and seems to shield his clients from appearing greedy, etc... he doesn't seem to care what people think of him and in his business that's not really a bad thing. Boras may not be that different from most other agents- just higher profile. People may not agree with his tactics, but at the end of the day he's representing some of the best players in the game and signing them up for big money.
k

I don't think it matters whom he is representing. The bottom line is that he comes upon his money in this life in an unethical manner - that is, bytalking out of both sides of his mouth.

At the end of the day, every man has to face himself in the mirror. And I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror every morning if I made money using Boras's modus operandi.

FastLane80
02-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Boras has a law degree, but, interestingly, most player agents aren't lawyers.Most of them are eithwer lawyers or former ball players. I have a friend that's an agent that needed a job after his arm gave out.

As far as other players being resentful towards Manny because he doesn't go to Spring Training...it seems to me like most of the players on the Dodgers are coming out and saying he was a great addition to the clubhouse. If I can recall correctly, I don't believe he has played much during ST in the past so it's not like it's something new. I think once the A-Roid things settles down and Boras can concentrate solely on Manny, something will get done.

On another note did anyone notice Orlando Hudson is a Dodger now? It's going to be a good season. :D

godwulf
02-21-2009, 10:38 AM
On another note did anyone notice Orlando Hudson is a Dodger now? It's going to be a good season. :D

Yeah, don't rub it in - I just read that about ten minutes ago. O-Dog is an amazing player and one of the funniest human beings on the planet. I'd sure like to have him back.

suicide_squeeze
02-21-2009, 03:41 PM

WASN'T that something, FastLane80????

I'm counting the days......:cool: