PDA

View Full Version : OT: Trading Card Companies Just Dont Care

GarkoCollector
02-19-2009, 09:06 AM
I called Topps this morning and talked to a Customer Service Rep about the unacceptable replacement I got in the mail.

I sent topps:

150+ cards from the box that were damaged (about 15-20 inserts and the rest base)
A letter stating that I was shorted over 100 cards from the box and the auto/relic that was to be in there as well as a lot of missing inserts.

I got back
105 base cards, 10 of which were the same player
1 Insert, which was damaged
No relic or auto

I called Topps and talked to the rep. She claims that they sent me 200 base cards, a jersey card and several inserts. I informed her that they were mistaken as this clearly was not that box. THEN she claims that she DIDNT send me inserts because I didnt send all of the inserts back that I DID get in the box. She claims that they provided adequate replacement and would not be able to offer any more.

Now they are changing their rules. If you want a box replaced, you have to have a receipt of purchase, the UPC, the box code from the flap, the plastic wrap, all of the wrappers from the packs, the box itself and all of the cards in that box.

I told the rep that I was very disappointed in the way they handled this matter and that they were going the route of Upper Deck--not caring about what they give customers. They reply, "I dont think we are that bad but you are entitled to feel any way you like.

Overall, I am very disappointed. I think this matter will make me re evaluate if I spend any more money on Topps products. They cant be any worse than UD. When they replace your nice auto redemption with a crappy auto, at least you get an auto back. With Topps I would have gotten a bent base card.

Oh well, life goes on.

emann
02-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Honestly, I don't see a huge issue with the new terms of the replacement policy. They're trying to eliminate the probably hundreds of claims from people that just got a box without cards they want and want a 2nd try...

The bigger issue for me is quality control has really become an issue with Topps & UD. I've gotten a number of packs/boxes over the last couple years that have significant damage, much more than they used to have (which is ironic considering the prices on packs/boxes have climbed so high). Who wants to spend well over $100 on "premium" card product if you have even the slightest risks of pulling out damaged cards. They should be handling them like fine china during the production and packaging process. It's basically put a halt to my collecting any of them. I'll buy a box or a few packs of the new UD when they come out, but it's mostly out of nostalgia. I almost think they'd be better off selling the cards as singles for the premium product. That way you could see the condition and don't have the thrill of pulling a Joe Dimaggio signature card out of a pack only to see that it has a huge crease down the center of it.

kylehess10
02-19-2009, 10:55 AM
...yet another reason why I'm glad I stopped dealing with cards completely

commando
02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear about that. I'm sure MOST of us got our start by collecting baseball or football cards, and not because we were speculators, but because we liked the players and the cards themselves. These days, you no longer pay 35 or 50 cents a pack. If you pay $5.00 for a pack, or $120.00 for a box, you certainly deserve to get the quantity you were promised. Heck, even if you do, chances are the cards won't be worth what you paid for the box!

Sluggo
02-19-2009, 11:07 AM
I think everyone here is over-looking the obvious problem with these companies:

They CHOP UP perfectly fine game used bats, bases, jerseys, stadium seats, and autographs... ON PURPOSE!!!!!

:D

Sluggo
02-19-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm sure MOST of us got our start by collecting baseball or football cards, and not because we were speculators... These days, you no longer pay 35 or 50 cents a pack. If you pay $5.00 for a pack, or $120.00 for a box... Heck, even if you do, chances are the cards won't be worth what you paid for the box!

Good post. These aren't AA-rated bonds or gold futures. Even a brand new car isn't worth what you paid for it the second it leaves the dealer lot.

The companies go out of their way to label the boxes as "Hobby". People got way too caught up in the value (or perceived value) of cards. IMO the collectors kind of brought this on themselves. And I'm one of those collectors... :D

Back to the original topic, I'd try politely mailing Evan Kaplan at the MLBPA, or someone at MLB Attn: Merchandise/Trading Cards. Let them know how poorly you feel Topps handled it. And let them know you still and always will support MLB. If anyone can get you some results, they probably can.