PDA

View Full Version : Hitting Streak Memorablia

joelsabi
02-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Just a hypothetical question on memorablia from a hitting streak. What items is desirable and in what order from a 25 game hitting streak?

__ items from the last day that the player had a hit on the 25th game

__ items from the first day of the streak

__ items on the day the streak ended (the 0 fer day after the 25th game)

__ items from the streak (games 2 thru 24)

Please put theses in the order most desirable.

If you like to expand your reasoning using a DiMaggio example, that would be appreciated also.

GarkoCollector
02-17-2009, 10:46 AM
I'd say the first game of the streak, 28 games in (halfway to the streak), game that player set the team record for hit streak and then if they got to 50, 56th and 57th games

joelsabi
02-17-2009, 10:57 AM
I'd say the first game of the streak, 28 games in (halfway to the streak), game that player set the team record for hit streak and then if they got to 50, 56th and 57th games

thank garko collector, so you would rather have an item that started the streak the most?

btw. i am more interested in an example without dimaggio because i would like an example for any player (ie. chase utley, pete rose, rollins comes to mind) since i think dimaggio's streak is safe and dimaggios example bring in more factors(tying and setting a new record) so more interested in an perspective that could be used by individual collectors.

thanks

metsbats
02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
I agree with the order you put the original list but may reverse the 3rd and 4th items.

joelsabi
02-17-2009, 11:28 AM
on a side note, the collector of the los angeles sport museum has 3 nice dimaggio balls. its hard to imagine but dimaggios streak could have been 69 game.

It is a baseball for the 65-year-old businessman’s already substantial Joe DiMaggio collection. No, it isn’t the ball that extended DiMaggio’s hitting streak to the record 56 games (Cypres owns that one too, though). It is the ball that would have taken the streak to 57 – had Cleveland Indians infielder Ken Keltner not snared it.

“Anyone could think of acquiring No. 56,” said Cypres, who purchased the ball at auction. “What intrigues me is what happened next.”

He also has what would have been No. 58, the start of a 12-game DiMaggio hitting streak.

kylehess10
02-17-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd personally put it in this order:

1. items from the last day that the player had a hit on the 25th game

2. items from the first day of the streak

3. items from the streak (games 2 thru 24)

4. items on the day the streak ended (the 0 fer day after the 25th game)

Vintagedeputy
02-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm currently selling a ball from the game in which Chase Utley's 2006 hitting streak was broken so I may be biased, but I think that is an important event.

cjw
02-18-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm currently selling a ball from the game in which Chase Utley's 2006 hitting streak was broken so I may be biased, but I think that is an important event.

No offense, but I see no value (beyond the value of a regular game ball) in that. Saying that, this is what make collecting so interesting..one man's junk....etc. chris

Vintagedeputy
02-18-2009, 07:01 AM
No offense, but I see no value (beyond the value of a regular game ball) in that. Saying that, this is what make collecting so interesting..one man's junk....etc. chris

I used to think that too. I still think that when I see things like blank line up cards and game used dirt for sale.

Recently I started thinking about GU balls like this one and I kind of put it in the same mindset of balls used in no hitters. Those balls were used during an event. The ball I'm selling for example was used during the event of the stopping of a hitting streak.

To each his own...

cjw
02-18-2009, 01:38 PM
I used to think that too. I still think that when I see things like blank line up cards and game used dirt for sale.

Recently I started thinking about GU balls like this one and I kind of put it in the same mindset of balls used in no hitters. Those balls were used during an event. The ball I'm selling for example was used during the event of the stopping of a hitting streak.

To each his own...

I understand, but I don't get it. Essentially, you are selling a ball from a game that in which, nothing really happened.

To me, buying a ball that was used in a pitcher's 3000 strike out game for example, but not thrown for a strike is interesting but not not nearly as much as one used to get the last strike of # 2998, 2999 etc.

I understand collecting a ball from a fav players hitting streak etcn(but only the exact ball that was hit, not one that was used in that game), and even understand why one would want the ball that was caught to end Joe D's record (maybe never to be broken) hitting streak...as this is a MLB record, a signpost.

Your collection is your own, but a ball that was used in a game after a minor hit streak wrapped up is just a game used ball.

joelsabi
02-18-2009, 01:58 PM
I understand, but I don't get it. Essentially, you are selling a ball from a game that in which, nothing really happened.

To me, buying a ball that was used in a pitcher's 3000 strike out game for example, but not thrown for a strike is interesting but not not nearly as much as one used to get the last strike of # 2998, 2999 etc.

I understand collecting a ball from a fav players hitting streak etcn(but only the exact ball that was hit, not one that was used in that game), and even understand why one would want the ball that was caught to end Joe D's record (maybe never to be broken) hitting streak...as this is a MLB record, a signpost.

Your collection is your own, but a ball that was used in a game after a minor hit streak wrapped up is just a game used ball.

actual milestone balls are really hard to come by.
what are the alternative? a ball used in the game of the event.

where i think the ball become more associated to the event is if it can be signed by the player it is related to in the future with the proper inscription.

treant985
02-18-2009, 09:39 PM
He also has what would have been No. 58, the start of a 12-game DiMaggio hitting streak.

Just to correct: DiMaggio hit in 56 in a row, then hitless in one game, then hit in 16 more in a row. So it was 72-out-of-73. The only person ever to come even close to that was Bill Dahlen, who hit in 70-out-of-71 in 1894.

Jeter got to 54-out-of-56 a few years back, and even that (two hitless games out of 56) was very rare.

joelsabi
02-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Just to correct: DiMaggio hit in 56 in a row, then hitless in one game, then hit in 16 more in a row. So it was 72-out-of-73. The only person ever to come even close to that was Bill Dahlen, who hit in 70-out-of-71 in 1894.

Jeter got to 54-out-of-56 a few years back, and even that (two hitless games out of 56) was very rare.

I guess the ESPN reporter has a better fact checker than LA Times writer or the LA Times writer took the Collectors word for it.

This is the full article on the Dimaggio balls.
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/nov/18/sports/sp-memories18

Here is what you verified. Thanks for bringing this up.
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:Rn_TKDSx4m4J:sportsmed.starwave.com/sportscentury/features/00014156.html+%2272+of+73%22+joe+dimaggio&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

I tried to verify myself at Retrosheet.org using daily box scores and couldn’t find it for 1941. Is that correct that box scores aren’t available for 1941?

Sluggo
02-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Since it is, after all, a streak, I kind of view it as a timeline. Take Rose for example...

Day One is the most important. It was just another day, but whatever started that day became special. Real special. I would want THE first hit ball or a Rose bat.

The end of the streak is equally important. May just be chance, but the pitcher that day (I guess Gene Garber gets credit) did something equally special. I would want a Garber glove as much as a Rose bat from that day.

Last day Rose had a hit would be a close third. Rose bat from that game, or pitcher memorabilia from the last hit would be nice.

Any day in between would be based on what happened. If Rose goes 2-for-2 on a Friday against Mark Littell and the Reds win 12-3, yeah great. BUT, if Rose goes 1-for-1 the next day, and singles in the winning run off somebody like Steve Carlton, I'd much rather have something from that day - ticket stub, game ball, Carlton memorabilia, etc.

Just my pov. And I'd want to evenly distribute things too. Bats from games one two and four, but then nothing till game 42, that would kind of leave me feel I have a void to fill.

B

cjw
02-26-2009, 03:13 AM
Not that I take any pleasure in seeing a collector not sell an item he wanted to move, but I guess this lends itself to my argument. 10 day auction and no bids.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290297359249

Vintagedeputy
02-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Not that I take any pleasure in seeing a collector not sell an item he wanted to move, but I guess this lends itself to my argument. 10 day auction and no bids.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290297359249

That was my auction. No bids doesnt necessarily mean no interest. I had a number of watchers and a few questions during the week. They just didnt pull the trigger....happens all the time.