PDA

View Full Version : I need help with jersey

ryant7
02-16-2009, 03:57 PM
i was wondering if someone could help me i have the oppurtunity to purchase a matsui yankees jersey that looks right all patches etc.... but it has his name on the back i was wondering if the yankees ever put the names on the back of there jerseys i dont think they have i strolled over to getty and couldnt find any pictures im new to jerseys but i have collected bats for about 8 years also if someone could help me i have a derek jeter gamer that is black genuine p72 derek jeter signature style no underline but it does not have the mlb or tpx log on the back of the barrel i recently tried to sell this bat on ebay and the winning bidder backed out telling me it was store bought that you can buy them through steiner with no underline ...... if someone could help put that to rest it would be appreciated i sent a message to Vince Malta but i have not recieved a response yet i can post pictures if needed of the Jeter bat however i dont have pictures of the matsui jersey thanks guys any help will help !

suave1477
02-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Yankees never put names on the back of Jerseys. It is interesting though someone is actually trying to sell it as game used. lol lol.

I am curious what patches does it show?

As far as the Jeter bat, Steiner does sell them as professional model. I am not sure if they only sell with the autograph or offer both with or with out the autograph.

BULBUS
02-16-2009, 04:11 PM
The Yankees have NEVER put name on their jerseys.

No, you can not buy a Jeter replica bat from Steiner without the line under the 125. They do sell game issued Jeter bats.

ryant7
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
well my dad is actually going to relook at the matsui right now im standing by for a phone call he said it has patches on both sleeves from what he can remember seeing last time and it is a size 52 as for the jeter bat it shows jeters characteristic use ive have had it for a while i have owened about 4-5 jeter bats since i have been collecting and this is the same as all the others also does anyone know what a 1996 yankees world series black bat may be worth and a 1951 and 1952 yankees world series black bats i own those also the 51 actually has mantles name in block letters on it the 52 has it signature style

suave1477
02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
No, you can not buy a Jeter replica bat from Steiner without the line under the 125. They do sell game issued Jeter bats.

That's actually not true.

They sell game model bats of Jeters with out the line.

You can find them on ebay or even on there own website.

The photos of the ones on ebay and on there own site are hard to tell but if you pay close attention you can see there is no line under the 125.

BULBUS
02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
I believe those black bats are worth quite a bit, especially those 50's bats. Not sure on a $ value though. You can search past auctions for prices.

suave1477
02-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Patches on the sleeves don't really mean anything. Yes it does help if your possibly looking for a particular year of a player used jersey.

But patches such as World Series, All Star Games, Final Seasons, etc...... Can always be added and can be retail Jerseys as they also come with patches.

The first things to try to help you indicate is the actual inner tagging and if it was stitched on via manufacturer or if someone tried to alter it themselves by adding it over the manufacturers stitching.

Again if it has the name on the back, the patches are irrelevant!!

BULBUS
02-16-2009, 04:28 PM
That's actually not true.

They sell game model bats of Jeters with out the line.

You can find them on ebay or even on there own website.

The photos of the ones on ebay and on there own site are hard to tell but if you pay close attention you can see there is no line under the 125.

I disagree, I've seen Steiner sell "game model" and "game issued" bats. The game model bats have the line under the 125 and you can see the grain through the finish. They also sell game issued bats with are exactly the same as Jeter take to the plate, no line, smooth black finish (no grain visable).

ryant7
02-16-2009, 04:29 PM
this is the only jeter bat i could currently find on ebay that is not signed stating game model and it does have under line also i believe mine is smith finish not just black were you can see the grain really well
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270284998550&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270284998550&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting)

suave1477
02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Bulbus well the models they show on ebay and on there own site show no line.

I am not sure what you mean by the grain, as I have seen grain showing on both game used and promotional models. So I am not sure how that plays into it.

ryant7
02-16-2009, 04:33 PM
i found the pics of the jeter bat on my computer from when i listed it here they are

suave1477
02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
this is the only jeter bat i could currently find on ebay that is not signed stating game model and it does have under line also i believe mine is smith finish not just black were you can see the grain really well
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270284998550&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270284998550&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting)

This one you posted shows a line under being sold by an independent seller. (Meaning it is not coming from Steiner). But that is definitely a promotional bat. I am not sure of the sellers objective to say it is Jeters Game Baseball bat.

ryant7
02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
suave i meant as far as the grain on a smith finsh bat its a thick coating and its harder to see the grain than on a regular painted bat compare my bat to bat i just posted link to to see what im saying

suave1477
02-16-2009, 04:36 PM
I may be wrong but to me the finish looks basically the same.

ryant7
02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
i bought a new camera i will take better pics tonight i have to go get the bat from my fathers house from the pic that i have posted in your opinion does it look legit i mean the guy won it for only 431 dollars and backed out just point blank telling me if it doesnt have the tpx and mlb logo on it its not real but i have seen many game used jeter bats without tpx and mlb logo on them

BULBUS
02-16-2009, 04:45 PM
I may be wrong but to me the finish looks basically the same.

There is a big difference.

suave1477
02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
i bought a new camera i will take better pics tonight i have to go get the bat from my fathers house from the pic that i have posted in your opinion does it look legit i mean the guy won it for only 431 dollars and backed out just point blank telling me if it doesnt have the tpx and mlb logo on it its not real but i have seen many game used jeter bats without tpx and mlb logo on them

Well they didn't start adding the logos till 1999 which would then date this bat to be from the 95 to 98 period.
So I am not sure why someone would say that, this possibly could be a Jeter Game Used bat.

ryant7
02-16-2009, 06:51 PM
does anyone know when malta gets on here i would like some more inout on this bat to help me out in a future listing thanks !

jetersbatboy
02-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Ryan,
That bat you have looks to be a mid 97 thru 98 model in 99 the Mlb tpx labeling appeared on the front of the barrel. 125 centering indicates this, the I appears between the 1 and 2 of the 125 labeling. You may want to send your bat to taube. it my be a pretty widely looked for bat. 1998 gamers are hard to come by.

ryant7
02-16-2009, 07:29 PM
thank you for the help jetersbatboy i am looking into sending the bat out for authentication who would be best bang for the buck ? i know you mentioned Taube

jetersbatboy
02-16-2009, 07:35 PM
John Taube And Mears Are 2 Most Respected. Taube Maybe Cheaper.

ryant7
02-16-2009, 07:48 PM
can i go through taube himself our do i have to submit to psa/dna ? just wondering same situation with malta can i contact him personally or do i have to submit

jetersbatboy
02-16-2009, 07:51 PM
You Can Only Go Threw Psa With Taube, Malta I Am Not Sure.

ryant7
02-16-2009, 07:59 PM
cool good to know i hope to post more stuff soon i have to dig through a lot of old bats at my dads house i just recently moved from an apartment to a house and i have a office im setting up with memorabilia so i have to get some things i i collect scott rolen stuff so if anyone has anything scott rolen for sale for cheap let me know im interested i sold my only gamer i got directly from him and watched him sign it i regret selling it but at the time i was in highschool and needed the money for gas or something but oh well i will see it again im sure

jetersbatboy
02-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Taube Has One On His Site Sign Mlb Auth. I Think Its $290, He May Deal On It, He Had It For A While.

BULBUS
02-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Taube is running a sale on bat authentication, I think 20% off. You have to call before you send it in though.