PDA

View Full Version : Hey ya' all ! A Rusty Kuntz bat !

camarokids
02-15-2009, 04:45 PM
I love this guys name! Want to get yourself in the dog house with your wife, say this guys name out loud a few times.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-DETROIT-TIGERS-RUSTY-KUNTZ-GAME-USED-RAWLINGS-BAT_W0QQitemZ290296477533QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing

Vintagedeputy
02-15-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry, I know alot of Rusty Kuntz...you'll have to be more specific! :)

skyking26
02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Extremely tuff bat for those who want it... I have one.

ndevlin
02-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Is that seller a member on here? Just because a player was on the 1968 and 1984 teams, doesnt necessary mean the bat is from that year.

skyking26
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
You are so correct Nate. There is a seller, tonci on ebay, selling the whole Tigers collection. There have been several bats he has said were from 68 or 84 and they were not. Some of the ebay auctions always seem to have the same buyers incing the auctions up as well, but not winning. Some may call it shilling, but I didn't...

ndevlin
02-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Interesting.

I know one bat in particular they had a month or so ago was a Kirk Gibson that he listed as a 1984 bat. With "Detroit Tigers" underneath Gibsons name, it was quite obvious the bat was from 93-95.

I told the seller this, yet he did nothing. And also continues to list bats from 1968 and 1984.

mbrieve
02-17-2009, 07:12 PM
I think the seller is probably aware that the bats are not necessarily from those specifics years, and to be fair the seller does not state that they are in the description (just the title). My guess is that the seller is trying to get search hits off of people typing in "1984 Tigers" and "1968 Tigers".

I am not defending the technique, and realize there can be a real difference in value.

skyking26
02-17-2009, 07:28 PM
I gave up on the seller when I say the same names bidding up the stuff but not winning. I should report it...

ndevlin
02-17-2009, 07:49 PM
I think the seller is probably aware that the bats are not necessarily from those specifics years, and to be fair the seller does not state that they are in the description (just the title). My guess is that the seller is trying to get search hits off of people typing in "1984 Tigers" and "1968 Tigers".

I am not defending the technique, and realize there can be a real difference in value.

Oh yeah, definitely wants more views to their auctions! Though its not in the descriptions, it is in the titles. If its in the title, then it should still be listed correctly.

Thats very misleading.

earlywynnfan
02-22-2009, 01:51 PM
By the way, there was a player in the 50's with the name Rusty Peters; perhaps he and Rusty Kuntz should get together?

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

earlywynnfan
02-22-2009, 01:52 PM
By the way, there was a player in the 50's with the name Rusty Peters; perhaps he and Rusty Kuntz should get together?

Ken

For Pete's Sake, THAT is my 500th post??? I need to get a life.

Ken

camarokids
02-22-2009, 06:09 PM

Ken

That's pretty funny!!! I bet that have hooked up at least once.....:D

BTW, the Rusty Kuntz bat sold for $165.00. That's a lot of money for a Rusty Kuntz.....

skyking26
02-22-2009, 06:48 PM
That's pretty funny!!! I bet that have hooked up at least once.....:D

BTW, the Rusty Kuntz bat sold for $165.00. That's a lot of money for a Rusty Kuntz.....
All of the seller's equipment went high. Many bats, players such as Kuntz, went over $200 and $300. The players were all linked to the championship teams, and thus a premium, regardless the scrub.:confused:

camarokids
02-24-2009, 12:14 PM

A big named ebay seller is using the same technique now....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rusty-Kuntz-Game-Used-Signed-Bat-1984-Detroit-Tigers_W0QQitemZ190289109929QQihZ009QQcategoryZ605 96QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

camarokids
02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
A big named ebay seller is using the same technique now....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rusty-Kuntz-Game-Used-Signed-Bat-1984-Detroit-Tigers_W0QQitemZ190289109929QQihZ009QQcategoryZ605 96QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just curious how can you tell the bat is from 1984 as listed in the auction....

according to birdbats.com , 1984 is not a one year type.....

http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Bat%20ID/LS%201980-Current.htm

ndevlin
02-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Hmm, no use again, surprise surprise.

You actually cant tell what the exact year is, unless of course he is a star or HOF'er and you can get his shipping records.

This one is an 83-85 bat. You cant scratch off '83, for he wore #11 for the Twins. Then theres '84 and '85 where he did wear #15 for the Tigers. Which year? Hard to say unless someone out there has his records....

It looks pretty darn close to a signed game ready bat, but thats just my opinion. What do I know...

ndevlin
02-24-2009, 12:47 PM
This one, obviously, is not from 1984....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-DETROIT-TIGERS-NELSON-SIMMONS-SIGNED-GAME-USED-BAT_W0QQitemZ290298666727QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

camarokids
02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
This one, obviously, is not from 1984....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-DETROIT-TIGERS-NELSON-SIMMONS-SIGNED-GAME-USED-BAT_W0QQitemZ290298666727QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is another seller getting in on the act.....

How can you be certain this Worth bat was used in 1984???

Anyone know how to date Worth bats???

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-DETROIT-TIGERS-DARRELL-EVANS-GAME-USED-WORTH-BAT_W0QQitemZ330310222058QQihZ014QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

same seller again....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-DETROIT-TIGERS-DAVE-BERGMAN-GAME-USED-LS-BAT_W0QQitemZ380106484478QQihZ025QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

with another bat listed as a 1984??? bat has a smaller 125....

How would you date the bat Nate???

ndevlin
02-24-2009, 01:04 PM
The Bergman looks to be a 83-85 model. He played for the Tigers in 84-85. Which year it came from exactly? That I dont know...

Heres a good one... He lists it as a 1988-89 bat, yet he puts 1984 in the title. Sure, he was on the 1984 team, so put that in the description. Putting it in the title, ahh...I dont care for that too much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dwight-Lowry-Game-Used-Signed-Bat-1984-Detroit-Tigers_W0QQitemZ200313519219QQihZ010QQcategoryZ605 96QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Again, title has 1984, yet description has it as a 1981 bat....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Johnny-Grubb-Game-Used-Bat-1984-Detroit-Tigers-Rangers_W0QQitemZ190289116772QQihZ009QQcategoryZ60 596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its all about views...

Vintagedeputy
02-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Rusty Kuntz, huh? Ah yes, I can see explaining that bat collection to the wife.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hafnvl2TIJA/R5lTKR9SwII/AAAAAAAABww/ld3LDkWwvgQ/s1600/rusty-peters.jpg

http://66.132.211.220/images/17316.jpghttp://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1332/2100/320/ople78T.jpghttp://www.wagglepop.com/auction/images/imgupld/18142_1.jpg

mbrieve
02-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Since this thread has kind of turned into how people list their items on eBay and what is considered being deceitful - I have a question:

If someone lists a game used item of a player that has played for multiple teams, do you see any problem listing all or some of those teams in the listing?

Case in point, I am fairly certain that this Adam Dunn bat was not used during his tenure with the Washington Nationals:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADAM-DUNN-GAME-USED-BAT-Washington-Nationals-REDS-LOA_W0QQitemZ330308549017QQihZ014QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But, let's face it, excited Nationals fans doing a "Nationals" search in the game used may not have stumbled upon this Dunn gamer without it in the description.

I just don't see the difference. Is someone wants a Dunn Nationals gamer, they just need to click on the link and realize that it is a Dunn Reds gamer. Some of the 1984 Tigers bats are easily identifiable as not being from 1984 by doing even minimal research on them (especially if specific years matter in your collection).

Just wanting opinions, not taking sides.

P.S. For the record, I am not the seller of any of these bats, so I am not trying to defend any of these practices.

Vintagedeputy
02-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Since this thread has kind of turned into how people list their items on eBay and what is considered being deceitful - I have a question:

If someone lists a game used item of a player that has played for multiple teams, do you see any problem listing all or some of those teams in the listing?

Case in point, I am fairly certain that this Adam Dunn bat was not used during his tenure with the Washington Nationals:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADAM-DUNN-GAME-USED-BAT-Washington-Nationals-REDS-LOA_W0QQitemZ330308549017QQihZ014QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But, let's face it, excited Nationals fans doing a "Nationals" search in the game used may not have stumbled upon this Dunn gamer without it in the description.

I just don't see the difference. Is someone wants a Dunn Nationals gamer, they just need to click on the link and realize that it is a Dunn Reds gamer. Some of the 1984 Tigers bats are easily identifiable as not being from 1984 by doing even minimal research on them (especially if specific years matter in your collection).

Just wanting opinions, not taking sides.

P.S. For the record, I am not the seller of any of these bats, so I am not trying to defend any of these practices.

Some sellers list things that way to attract the new fans of a player and to play into the hype of him signing with them...happens all the time.

mbrieve
02-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Some sellers list things that way to attract the new fans of a player and to play into the hype of him signing with them...happens all the time.
Yeah, I understand that. I also believe that is generally what is happening with the 1984 Tigers bats. All of these guys played for the 1984 Tigers and putting that in the title should solicit more hits. I'm sure there are WAY more people searching for "1984 Tigers" instead of "Rusty Kuntz" and "Dwight Lowry".

Both practices are to solicit more views, but anyone with even a little knowledge would be able to determine that many of those bats couldn't be from 1984 and Adam Dunn wouldn't be using a Reds bat now with that he is with the Nationals (there is a chance, but since he signed for a couple of years - he should probably get Nationals branded now).

ndevlin
02-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Im a little confused. If you have a 1983-85 model bat, how would you or wouldnt you know if its from 1984? Especially on a player like Kuntz?

mbrieve
02-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Im a little confused. If you have a 1983-85 model bat, how would you or wouldnt you know if its from 1984? Especially on a player like Kuntz?
It would probably have to be a photomatch or some other provenance putting the bat in the players hands from a specific year.

ndevlin
02-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah, that probably takes a bit more than "little knowledge" to do that.

camarokids
02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
It would probably have to be a photomatch or some other provenance putting the bat in the players hands from a specific year.

The description for the Kuntz bat currently on ebay is as follows....

"You are bidding on an H&B Louisville Slugger baseball bat from 1984 that measures 34". Blocked letter model #D143. Bat shows very light use, basically from the rack, and is uncracked. His uniform #15 is on both ends. Signed in blue on the barrel. Kuntz played for the Detroit Tigers, Chicago White Sox, and Minnesota Twins. He was a member of the 1984 World Champion Tigers."

So I do not think it will be photo-matched.....

The bat is a 1983-85 LS Model....

Now if BMH has any info to verify that ole' Rusty Kuntz used this model in 1984 only than the seller is in the right.....

xpress34
02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey Camaro -

I was just checking rosters planning out my ST trip to AZ...

Did you know that Mr Rusty Kuntz is now the 1st base coach for the Royals???

Just found that interesting...

- Chris

camarokids
02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
That's cool!

Thanks for posting XPress34....

Nate lives 30 minutes away from KC.....

We should all caravan to KC and crash at Nate's house. Then go to the stadium and pay Rusty a visit....

skyking26
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Hey Camaro -

I was just checking rosters planning out my ST trip to AZ...

Did you know that Mr Rusty Kuntz is now the 1st base coach for the Royals???

Just found that interesting...

- Chris
For the record - Detroit area promoters have been trying to get Kuntz to come here for years for an autograph appearance. He won't do it...

His bats are as scarce as he is. Rare to find one. I got mine from Mike Specht last year...

xpress34
02-26-2009, 11:51 PM
For the record - Detroit area promoters have been trying to get Kuntz to come here for years for an autograph appearance. He won't do it...

His bats are as scarce as he is. Rare to find one. I got mine from Mike Specht last year...

SkyKing -

Is he just a tough auto or what??? Maybe I should get some balls signed by him at Surprise and do some trading with you guys here... :eek:

It's just funny that when I check team rosters - including non-roster invitees - for ST and when teams are coming to Denver for Auto opportunities - I always check Broadcasters, Front Office and Coaches as I have picked up quite a few bonus sigs over the years - such as Don Sutton last year when the Nats were here... never saw Sutton with the Braves...

- Chris

skyking26
02-27-2009, 12:13 AM
SkyKing -

Is he just a tough auto or what??? Maybe I should get some balls signed by him at Surprise and do some trading with you guys here... :eek:

It's just funny that when I check team rosters - including non-roster invitees - for ST and when teams are coming to Denver for Auto opportunities - I always check Broadcasters, Front Office and Coaches as I have picked up quite a few bonus sigs over the years - such as Don Sutton last year when the Nats were here... never saw Sutton with the Braves...

- Chris
I've always heard that when Kuntz is approached anywhere including his coaching stints - that he is very cordial. For WHATEVER reason, he has had some hard on about returning to Detroit to do any kind of show appearance. As I recall he was not at the final game at Tiger Stadium either. I need him on all my Tigers Champ projects as he never comes back!!!

When you see him, AFTER you get your stuff signed, ask him why he won't come back here!!!

xpress34
02-27-2009, 12:19 AM
I've always heard that when Kuntz is approached anywhere including his coaching stints - that he is very cordial. For WHATEVER reason, he has had some hard on about returning to Detroit to do any kind of show appearance. As I recall he was not at the final game at Tiger Stadium either. I need him on all my Tigers Champ projects as he never comes back!!!

When you see him, AFTER you get your stuff signed, ask him why he won't come back here!!!

I don't know that I'll actually be looking for his auto, but I tell you what - if you want to send me an IM or eMail - xpress34@comcast.net - with your contact info, I'll certainly tell him I have a friend who needs him on a few 1984 Tigers Championship items and give him your info - who knows, maybe he'll contact you... or maybe he'll give me contact info to give you!

skyking26
02-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Email sent...

mbrieve
02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I have heard the same thing about Rusty Kuntz not wanting to do signings. I'm not sure if it is unique to Detroit or if he just doesn't do appearances at all.

I went to two games during the Tigers-Royals series last year at Comerica Park hoping to get Rusty on three of my 84 Tigers team items. Talking to a number of the regulars outside and inside the stadium, they said he was a jerk and there was no way I would get him.

When I got in the stadium, a couple of us called over to him and he signed everything that people put in front of him (I did a ball and two programs). He couldn't have been nicer and some of the guys that were dogging him before were absolutely dumbfounded. If you have a chance to make it to a Royals game, I would bring your stuff and based on my experience you should get it done.

The toughest living 1984 Tigers?

1. Marty Castillo
He did two or three signings in Michigan, but hasn't done one in over 15 years.
This is from his Wikipedia entry:
"Recent articles in The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press have been published tracking the whereabouts of members of the 1984 Tigers team. In August 2006, the Detroit Free Press reported the following on Castillo: 'Marty Castillo, 49, whereabouts unknown: Teammates are trying to find him. A few years ago, he owned the The Upper Deck in Cape Coral, Fla.'"

2. Chet Lemon
Same as Castillo, he did a few signings, but is in bad health and refuses to fly. I think he has a couple of AAU teams that he coaches in Florida, but hasn't been back to do an appearances in Michigan in quite a while.

Honorable mentions: Ruppert Jones, Johnny Grubb, Larry Herndon, and Rusty Kuntz.

All the other guys have done appearances within the last couple of years.

ndevlin
02-27-2009, 10:33 AM
That's cool!

Thanks for posting XPress34....

Nate lives 30 minutes away from KC.....

We should all caravan to KC and crash at Nate's house. Then go to the stadium and pay Rusty a visit....

Yeah, that'll work.

Oh yeah, Im emailing you back now, by the way.

momen55
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
herndon is a coach for the tigers' single A team here in florida. i see him every season and couldn't be a nicer guy. and he signs as well.

skyking26
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM
I have heard the same thing about Rusty Kuntz not wanting to do signings. I'm not sure if it is unique to Detroit or if he just doesn't do appearances at all.

I went to two games during the Tigers-Royals series last year at Comerica Park hoping to get Rusty on three of my 84 Tigers team items. Talking to a number of the regulars outside and inside the stadium, they said he was a jerk and there was no way I would get him.

When I got in the stadium, a couple of us called over to him and he signed everything that people put in front of him (I did a ball and two programs). He couldn't have been nicer and some of the guys that were dogging him before were absolutely dumbfounded. If you have a chance to make it to a Royals game, I would bring your stuff and based on my experience you should get it done.

The toughest living 1984 Tigers?

1. Marty Castillo
He did two or three signings in Michigan, but hasn't done one in over 15 years.
This is from his Wikipedia entry:
"Recent articles in The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press have been published tracking the whereabouts of members of the 1984 Tigers team. In August 2006, the Detroit Free Press reported the following on Castillo: 'Marty Castillo, 49, whereabouts unknown: Teammates are trying to find him. A few years ago, he owned the The Upper Deck in Cape Coral, Fla.'"

2. Chet Lemon
Same as Castillo, he did a few signings, but is in bad health and refuses to fly. I think he has a couple of AAU teams that he coaches in Florida, but hasn't been back to do an appearances in Michigan in quite a while.

Honorable mentions: Ruppert Jones, Johnny Grubb, Larry Herndon, and Rusty Kuntz.

All the other guys have done appearances within the last couple of years.
Last time Castillo was scheduled to do a show, he was s no-show, and word had it he was a deadbeat dad, behind on payments, and caught word that authorities were awaiting him in MI at the airport; so he never boarded the plane. This could have been a rumor, but that is last I heard.

Only other that will NOT come back to MI for a signing is Kuntz. Heard he is a real nice guy, but for whatever reason he refuses, despite several attempts, to return here. Everyone needs him on their 84 projects...

mbrieve
02-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Last time Castillo was scheduled to do a show, he was s no-show, and word had it he was a deadbeat dad, behind on payments, and caught word that authorities were awaiting him in MI at the airport; so he never boarded the plane. This could have been a rumor, but that is last I heard.

Only other that will NOT come back to MI for a signing is Kuntz. Heard he is a real nice guy, but for whatever reason he refuses, despite several attempts, to return here. Everyone needs him on their 84 projects...
Hadn't heard that about Castillo, very interesting. Sounds like a similar scenario to what happens to Ron LeFlore every time he comes back.

Unless you have an oversized item or a bat, I would definitely bring your item to the ballpark this summer when the Royals come to town. You gotta add Kuntz to your piece!

Thanks for the additional info on Marty Castillo.

xpress34
02-27-2009, 10:04 PM
:rolleyes:

I just had a funny and ironic thought... all of you guys saying Rusty won't come back to Detroit...

He HAS to this year!!! I'm sure the Royals have a series with the Tigers!!! :D

Unless he 'comes down with something' and takes that road trip off... that would tell you something!!! :eek:

- Chris

skyking26
02-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Hadn't heard that about Castillo, very interesting. Sounds like a similar scenario to what happens to Ron LeFlore every time he comes back.

Unless you have an oversized item or a bat, I would definitely bring your item to the ballpark this summer when the Royals come to town. You gotta add Kuntz to your piece!

Thanks for the additional info on Marty Castillo.
Majority of my stuff is oversized. I would not dare take any of my stuff into Comerica. You take your life into your hands if you park far away during daylight let alone bringing anything of value to that place...

The autograph days at Gibraltar, Bruce Mugerian Shows, DC Sports are all distant memories now. Gib. still does them, but they are usually less baseball - and when they do them they are usually the same guys time after time. The finally had HOF'er Jim Bunning signed to do a show in Taylor, and Bunning is actually the Senator of KY and had voted AGAINST the autoworkers in the bailout. And then you are going to fly in here and take these hard working blue collar people's money? Gibraltar evaded disaster and canceled his arrival. That would have been the first HOF sig, or even any sig on my Tiger Stadium litho in years. Some day that piece will be completed... Some day. Players priced themselves out. Areas economically in shambles like Michigan can't provide the big dollar auto's, but that is another topic...

skyking26
02-27-2009, 11:10 PM
:rolleyes:

I just had a funny and ironic thought... all of you guys saying Rusty won't come back to Detroit...

He HAS to this year!!! I'm sure the Royals have a series with the Tigers!!! :D

Unless he 'comes down with something' and takes that road trip off... that would tell you something!!! :eek:

- Chris
Chris, email sent with pics...