PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell if my NFL jersey is Game-Used, Game-Issued, or Pro-Cut?

RKO18
02-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, I apologize if this has been asked a million times before but I'm trying to learn about the differences between Game-Used, Game-Issued, and Pro-Cut.

The reason why is because I have recently aquired a 2003 Rookie Carson Palmer jersey. It doesn't show any wear but at the same time he road the benching during the entire 2003 season.

I'm not sure what to classify this jersey as.

I posted about it here but have yet to get a response...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23208

Any opinions would be a great help, just looking to see if it looks like a G/U, G/I, or Pro-Cut.

Aloving77
02-13-2009, 12:23 AM
I saw your Palmer post and didn't have anything to add, but I can help on this one. The problem with the terms you posted is that none of them have an official definition. I think most people can agree on general definitions, but some may still have problems with the agreed upon definitions. I may be wrong, so anyone can feel free to correct me, disagree, or add what they'd like. Game used can be defined as worn or used during a game by the player. If the player doesn't see action (like a 2nd string QB) then some would say the jersey is still game used, while others would disagree. It is therefore possible that a "game used" jersey can show absolutely no signs of wear. Game Issued jerseys only have to be given (issued) to the player not actually used or worn. This might happen if the equipment manager provides several different options (length of sleeves, etc.) and the player chooses one but does not use or wear the others. Pro cut, as I understand, means that it is the same size and style worn by the player but not necessarily used or issued to them. Hope that helps.

trsent
02-13-2009, 12:52 AM
I saw your Palmer post and didn't have anything to add, but I can help on this one. The problem with the terms you posted is that none of them have an official definition. I think most people can agree on general definitions, but some may still have problems with the agreed upon definitions. I may be wrong, so anyone can feel free to correct me, disagree, or add what they'd like. Game used can be defined as worn or used during a game by the player. If the player doesn't see action (like a 2nd string QB) then some would say the jersey is still game used, while others would disagree. It is therefore possible that a "game used" jersey can show absolutely no signs of wear. Game Issued jerseys only have to be given (issued) to the player not actually used or worn. This might happen if the equipment manager provides several different options (length of sleeves, etc.) and the player chooses one but does not use or wear the others. Pro cut, as I understand, means that it is the same size and style worn by the player but not necessarily used or issued to them. Hope that helps.

A jersey worn on the sidelines in an NFL game or on the bench/bullpen in a MLB game has to be classified as game used since the player was in the game and on the available team to play in that game.

I always compare it to a coach or manager jersey in baseball. They can be classified as game used, since they wore them during an active game. I believe mlb.com sells jerseys as game used from special one-game jerseys, such as a TBC jersey as game used even though the box score shows the player didn't appear in the game.

It is confusing to the buyer, but how else can such an item be classified? If the player put the jersey on their back and wore it during an active game, even on the bench, it should be classified as game used.

RKO18
02-13-2009, 01:09 AM
I appreciate you guys getting back to me. Sounds to me like classifications can get confusing.

I would personally consider a jersey a backup player on the sideline to be game-used but everything's subjective.

What I find more confusing is the ability for once to distinguish a game-issued jersey from a pro-cut jersey if there is no proof that the jersey was issued to the certain player.

Most such G/I jerseys would not come with any source with some exceptions of course.

I'm not looking for an expert opinion but what do you guys make of my Carson Palmer jersey?

Aloving77
02-13-2009, 01:40 AM
From looking at it, I would say the the number font and the font of the year-size tag look to be off. No solid evidence to back that up though. Search ebay for bengals game jerseys and compare.

RKO18
02-13-2009, 02:44 AM
From looking at it, I would say the the number font and the font of the year-size tag look to be off. No solid evidence to back that up though. Search ebay for bengals game jerseys and compare.

I was thinking that as well. Regarding the number font, It only seems to be a bit smaller then the pics of Palmer during the preseason but it looks like a closer match to what he wore during the rookie photo-shoot. I'm not sure if the font-style is off, doesn't appear to be.

I'm not sure about the font on the year-size tag though. If the tag isn't original, where else could it have come from? You can certainly tell that the jersey is not the same as a retail authentic so what would that make this jersey?

nyjetsfan14
02-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Wanna be sure? Even for an issued piece, team COA, NFL COA, PSA/DNA COA. Anything else for a current era jersey and I think one is really rolling the dice regardless if it was bought from an auction house or not.

scottanservitz
02-14-2009, 09:15 AM
RKO18,
I don't know if this will help. I have an '02 Cory Dillon gamer photomatched to two games. The front numbers measure exactly 10 inches top to bottom. I don't think the Bengals changed anything style wise til later, but this can atleast help you gauge your jersey somewhat.

Scott

RKO18
02-14-2009, 01:33 PM
RKO18,
I don't know if this will help. I have an '02 Cory Dillon gamer photomatched to two games. The front numbers measure exactly 10 inches top to bottom. I don't think the Bengals changed anything style wise til later, but this can atleast help you gauge your jersey somewhat.

Scott

Thanks for getting back to me Scott. I measured by Palmer jersey and the front #9 was exactly 10 inches from top to bottom. The back #9 was 12 inches for what its worth.

Good to learn that it matched up with an already credible example.

Thanks