PDA

View Full Version : Potential Griffey Jr. Game Issued C271 LVS

brianborsch
02-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Hello all,

How can I tell if this is a store model or a genuine game issued Ken griffey Jr. LVS C271 bat? It has no underline under the 125 and it has the model # above the name (signature brand) and the team he played for below. It has a galen (thicker black) finish on the upper area (barrel) and is all black. How else can I tell if it is an authentic game issued bat or a store model replica? There is a higher grain count which may set off alarms, but is that valid?

BB

brianborsch
02-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Anyone's thoughts????

metsbats
02-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Brian,

You have any photos you can post?

How long is the bat? Is the barrel cupped? Anything stamped on the knob? Being that the team name is on the barrel one wouldn't think it
would be a store model. However (and Junior fan's can chime in) I heard that Griffey only uses bats with cupped ends and the non-cupped (rounded) barrel end bats he uses for gifts and autograph models.

kingjammy24
02-10-2009, 11:09 PM
"How can I tell if this is a store model or a genuine game issued Ken griffey Jr. LVS C271 bat?"

is there a tape job on the handle?

anyway, length and weight would likely set it apart. a retail model likely wouldn't be the same length and weight as a legit griffey game model.

"Being that the team name is on the barrel one wouldn't think it would be a store model."

LVS has long sold "player replica" bats with the team name in their gift shop. as we speak you can get a derek jeter P72 store model bat from LVS with "New York Yankees" on the barrel. griffey has long been a very popular retail bat offered by LVS in their gift shop and i remember seeing retail griffey C271's with "Cincinnati Reds" on the barrel.

"I heard that Griffey only uses bats with cupped ends and the non-cupped (rounded) barrel end bats he uses for gifts and autograph models."

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=47382

rudy.

BMH
02-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Hello all,

How can I tell if this is a store model or a genuine game issued Ken griffey Jr. LVS C271 bat? It has no underline under the 125 and it has the model # above the name (signature brand) and the team he played for below. It has a galen (thicker black) finish on the upper area (barrel) and is all black. How else can I tell if it is an authentic game issued bat or a store model replica? There is a higher grain count which may set off alarms, but is that valid?

BB

Is there anything on the knob, number or anything like that? What team is on the barrel?

Fnazxc0114
02-11-2009, 12:02 AM
usually when i have a question about bats i go to birdbats site. he has some good info. i used it to make my first g/u purchase.

brianborsch
02-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Hey BMH,

I sent you pics the other day. Did you get the email? The knob has no numbers under it and the barrell is cupped.

I am not sure on the length.

BB

BMH
02-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Hmm, no I didn't. I've got the filters set pretty high on my emails at the moment. If it isn't from someone in the company, a team or in my address book it gets dumped until ST is over with. Last week I cleaned out my email and by the end of the day it was full. Lots of questions from people these days.

brianborsch
02-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Hey Brian,

So attached below are the pics of the Griffey bat in question. My main concerns are the wood grain (not looking like a pro quality bat) and the "C" in the C271 not looking as round as it should. The 125 is not underlined. Nothing under the knob. It has the galen finish or the double dipped finish on the top half of the bat. It has a cupped barrell. Is it a legit game issued Griffey Jr. Mariners bat?

BMH
02-14-2009, 06:48 AM
To me it looks like game issued. That is our old Smith finish on the bat, you can tell because it has that "milky" look in it's color. That was a four DAY process, we wouldn't waste that much time on a souvie bat.

brianborsch
02-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow, 4 days?!? That's some good ole TLC for a bat! Thanks for the info BMH!

BB

BMH
02-14-2009, 06:28 PM
No prob. most of it was dry time. It had two coats of filler, each having to dry overnight and two coats of urethane black that had to dry overnight.

brianborsch
02-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks again BMH. Whether it pays off for me or not, I don't know. I am buying this game issued bat from a seller in TX who has no ebay feedback. I paid him through a money request via Paypal for "Goods". Paid with CC via Paypal. Hopefully I have some protection in case he rips me off. He seems like a nice guy though. Risky Business! Wish me well!