PDA

View Full Version : Howard Wolf

b.heagy
02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Just a note to publicly thank Howard Wolf for his time and efforts to help collectors. Howard has always answered my questions concerning Phillies game used memorabilia on more than one occasion. He is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Phillies items and I appreciate each every email that he responds to. So here are some props to you Howard ! Thank you for all your help, it is always appreciated. Keep up the good work.

allstarsplus
02-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Howard is a really good person and a great resource!

otismalibu
02-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Howard is a really good person and a great resource!

Until he admits that he took performance-enhancing drugs AND donates his Erving memorabilia to the Malibu Museum, I'll never be able to truly respect him.

:D

tigerdale
02-09-2009, 08:01 PM
One of my favorite collecting stories ever is one Howard told me about a Kirk Gibson helemt I bought from him. Gibby went crazy at Howard when he tried to have Gibby sign it before a game in Seattle.......

cohibasmoker
02-09-2009, 10:11 PM
All I can say about Howard is,

Howard, I gotta tell ya - I got the ultimate piece - are you sitting down? It's, It's unbelievable.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

sportscentury
02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
All I can say about Howard is,

Howard, I gotta tell ya - I got the ultimate piece - are you sitting down? It's, It's unbelievable.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Jim, I know this reference (E.D.)! Thanks for the chuckle.

Howard is the man.... taught me a ton when I entered the hobby many years ago and there's still a lot I can learn from him.

whatupyos
02-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I too will agree Howard is a good guy. Taught me a great deal, knowledgable as can be and a tremendous help to the hobby. Thank for all that you do.

Aaron

Mr.3000
02-09-2009, 11:25 PM
I've never dealt with Howard but have spoken to him via email a few times. Definitely a stand up guy and one of the brighter stars of the game used hobby.

mariner_gamers
02-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Howard helped me with several jerseys I wanted to put up for sale. He went out of his way to make sure I didn't sell someone a POS. I ended up having to keep a couple and my listings for the jerseys I did sell were much more accurate. A true asset to the hobby!!

Thanks Howard!
Davis

frikativ54
02-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Definitely a good guy - he definitely knows his stuff. I will never forget that Gibson helmet story either. :)

hblakewolf
02-11-2009, 03:45 PM
One of my favorite collecting stories ever is one Howard told me about a Kirk Gibson helemt I bought from him. Gibby went crazy at Howard when he tried to have Gibby sign it before a game in Seattle.......

Thanks to all for the warm words.

In regard to the Kirk Gibson incident, below is the post I made some time ago. To this day, I still wonder what would have been if he came up into the stands after me......

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net
__________________________________________________ _________

Forum Readers-

Yankwood made a post about his terrible experience with Nettles which has me thinking.........

WHAT'S YOUR WORST EXPEREINCE WITH AN ATLETE RELATED TO GAME USED EQUIPMENT?

It may relate to you trying to get an item autographed, asking a player if he remembers using your item, etc.

Personally, I had an experience back in the mid 1990's with Kirk Gibson that I'll never forget.

While living in Seattle at the time, I went to the Mariners/Tigers game in the old Kingdome. I had Gibson’s mid 1980's Tigers game worn helmet with me in hopes of having him sign it. Upon entering the Dome during the Tigers BP, I spotted Gibson near the first base line. When I called him over, I asked him to sign his helmet. He asked where I got it, and I explained it was obtained from a friend in Detroit and provided the name (this person used to drive a limo and in exchange for $$$, Gibson would pilfer game used equipment). I said it was from "our mutual friend XXX". Gibson then became upset, and said “XXXX is no FxxxIN' friend, he's and acquaintance" and walked down towards the dugout. I then positioned my self behind the dugout, and when he came out with his bat for BP, I again asked if he could sign it. He looked up, and screamed, "Where the FxxK did you get the helmet?" I again told him from our friend in Detroit. At this point, quite a few of the Tigers heard this confrontation and gathered around the dugout to hear this exchange. Gibson continued and said, "That Mother FuXXXr was stolen.....is it cracked?.....is cracked????". I told him it was not, and he continued, "......I would have never have given away an uncracked helmet. I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what......I'm going to watch where you sit tonight and if I break my helmet, I'm comin up there and getting yours". I told him it was not stolen, and I would swap him even up for the BP jersey he was wearing. Likewise, I told him that he used to pilfer a lot of game used equipment in exchange for limo service and at this point he began to walk towards the camera pit on the left side of the dugout and climb into the stands, all the while screaming at me "FucX you you mother FXXXXr". As he took his final step into the stands and in my direction, coach Dick Trasuski grabbed him and screamed "You don't talk to fans like that". Then Gibson broke loose, and walked into the outfield.

Needless to say, Kingdome security and the Seattle Police came down to take a report and get my thoughts on the incident.

Following this incident, I immediately sold the helmet (unautographed!) and never, to this day, forgot my encounter with the great Kirk Gibson.

Howard Wolf
hblkakewolf@patmedia.net

skyking26
02-11-2009, 04:28 PM
I've known Howard since the late 80's early 90's. Everybody covered it well here. Class act. I've been laid up with medical problems for 9 months and I enjoy the hobby talk with Howard...

R. Koppel

cjmedina1
02-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Howard

Even though i havnt bought a jersey yet,Your helping me increase my knowledge about jerseys..Im still no comfortable yet but i just want to say thanks for answering my questions..:) BTW Check your email

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net