PDA

View Full Version : photomatching - does this count???

nationals2k9
02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
1) log-in to MLB tv archives

2) find the game and AB mentioned on the MLB holo listing

3) freeze the full screen image of player and bat, etc

4) take digital photo of screen shot

????

grenda12
02-06-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=22023

dcgreg25
02-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Nationals2k9, not sure if you were asking if you technically could do a match that way or if people would accept the image as a photomatch.

grenda12 already answered the technical question. As far as if that image would "count", I would say most would like to see some match of some identifying marks to consider it a true photo match. However, if you have a mlb hologram with matching date, etc. and a pic of the item that looks similar, many would probably accept that given the hologram. Hope this helps.

nationals2k9
02-06-2009, 01:09 PM
...thanks both. Yeah, I ask mainly to "complete" my personal authentication process and feel 100% confident in what I have. I'd like to have up close bat photographs, preferably a LOA or COA or MLB holo, and hopefully a style match for older stuff if not a shot of the actual AB with newer MLB holo stuff.

nationals2k9
02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
So explain this to me... how can a bat of a mediocre B-level major leaguer photomatched with a picture demand over $1300 and I can buy a bat for $200 used by an All-Star with an MLB holo and match it with the video of the actual AB and no one cares? I know for sure my bat doesn't go from $200 to $1300 because I paid $19 for a MLB tv subscription.

https://www.digitalfm.com/gameusedbats/itemDetail.cfm?sku=3942

mwbosoxfan
02-06-2009, 05:29 PM
So explain this to me... how can a bat of a mediocre B-level major leaguer photomatched with a picture demand over $1300 and I can buy a bat for $200 used by an All-Star with an MLB holo and match it with the video of the actual AB and no one cares? I know for sure my bat doesn't go from $200 to $1300 because I paid $19 for a MLB tv subscription.

These are just some thoughts (just opinion, not fact) based on the question you asked. First of all, Jacoby Ellsbury is a very popular player at the moment. In 20 to 30 games, including the post-season, in 2007 he achieved Super Star status on a World Series winning team. Before the economy slide, I have seen his bats actually sell for between $400 and $600.

While in his first full season, he ended up having a year below expectations. However, he still hit .280, had 155 hits, scored 100 runs and stole 50 bases as a rookie. So, there are a lot of baseball analysts, fans, and game used collectors that think his potential is far from your classification of a mediocre B player.

Also, from just what I've seen, there hasn't been a lot of the heavily used blonde x-bats on the market. He has used a few others, but his main bat is the blonde x-bat, yet don't see a lot out there. May be they're out there and I just haven't seen them.

Lastly, while the Ellsbury bat you listed is a great bat, and the photomatch does elevate it's value, the $1300 listing price doesn't necessarily constitute "commanding" or setting the market. Could be the owner consigned the bat and said, "Try and get $1,300, but don't sell for less than $1,000. I really don't want to sell it, but you never know what someone might give who wants an Ellsbury bat." In today's and even yesterday's market, I don't imagine many of his bats will command that asking price.

John

allstarsplus
02-06-2009, 07:47 PM

Mike - Here is the 1st lesson---you can ask $1,300 but it doesn't mean it will sell for $1,300. With that said, the bat is uncracked which adds a premium when it is killed with use and with the photomatch will get a premium over a cracked Ellsbury.

John Taube is a very good authenticator in my opinion but I don't think his authentication gives more value than a MLB #'d hologram so long as you can offer a photomatch to show it was used during the game vs. a BP at-bat.

So unless that bat has a significant history like a Game Winning HR, then I agree with Mike that the price doesn't seem justified, but John T. can ask whatever price he wants and it will be interesting if someone pays it!!!