PDA

View Full Version : Make me feel better?

gameused fan
02-01-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm not a guy who has ever used the hobby as a way to make a quick buck. (Not that there is anything wrong with that). I don't even really know how to, and the opportunity is never really presented to make a big killing, anyway.

And then tonight happens, and I wonder why I'm such a moron.

The Super Bowl ends. Santonio Holmes is named MVP. Since I love this hobby, I knew about J.O. Sports, Inc. and have been on the site numerous times just to look at its cool stuff.

I know they have Holmes jerseys. So, I go to see if they still have some after his MVP performance. I figure, at $1,500, I can probably flip this in one week and make a few thousand.

They still have Holmes jerseys. This is my lucky day! They still are listed at $1,500.

I stare at my computer screen. I'm thinking this is the moment people talk about. I add a Holmes jersey to my cart to see if it will actually process at $1,500. It does.

Then I stare some more. I don't have a great deal of money. What if I'm wrong and Holmes' jerseys don't go that far up in the next week? What if I'm stuck with it at a price that might be a bit much for me?

Even though I know these suckers are going to be a hot buy, I leave the website. I call a friend and tell him I think I probably just screwed up. I go back to J.O. Sports, Inc. just to see if there was any activity.

The jerseys have been raised to $3,000. A few minutes later, they go to $5,000.

Man, I suck.

spartakid
02-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Ouch!!, that's painful, can't say I've ever been able to make that much money, that'll sting for a while, but it's not the end of the world. Sorry, probably didn't make you feel any better:o

cigarman44
02-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm not a guy who has ever used the hobby as a way to make a quick buck. (Not that there is anything wrong with that). I don't even really know how to, and the opportunity is never really presented to make a big killing, anyway.

And then tonight happens, and I wonder why I'm such a moron.

The Super Bowl ends. Santonio Holmes is named MVP. Since I love this hobby, I knew about J.O. Sports, Inc. and have been on the site numerous times just to look at its cool stuff.

I know they have Holmes jerseys. So, I go to see if they still have some after his MVP performance. I figure, at $1,500, I can probably flip this in one week and make a few thousand.

They still have Holmes jerseys. This is my lucky day! They still are listed at $1,500.

I stare at my computer screen. I'm thinking this is the moment people talk about. I add a Holmes jersey to my cart to see if it will actually process at $1,500. It does.

Then I stare some more. I don't have a great deal of money. What if I'm wrong and Holmes' jerseys don't go that far up in the next week? What if I'm stuck with it at a price that might be a bit much for me?

Even though I know these suckers are going to be a hot buy, I leave the website. I call a friend and tell him I think I probably just screwed up. I go back to J.O. Sports, Inc. just to see if there was any activity.

The jerseys have been raised to $3,000. A few minutes later, they go to $5,000.

Man, I suck.

True you probably cost yourself a buck or two in the short term. But the really idiots are the ones paying 3-6,000 for the jersey. A year from now nobody will remember Holmes or what he did in the Super Bowl and won't be able to get 1,000 for the jersey. J.O. is the real winner. We live in a right now world and a month from now his jerseys will be back to the normal inflated price of 1,500.00. Ofcourse Im a little bias, as a Rams fan was pulling for Kurt to get another ring :D

gameused fan
02-01-2009, 11:58 PM
HAHA.

You were suppose to make me feel better! Maybe something like, "Ah, you'd never have actually been able to sell one for $5,000 yourself."

Or something like that. :)

Dang. This really sucks. OK. I'm done venting now. But, seriously, this really sucks!

frikativ54
02-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's only clothing. I mean, there are plenty of other things to be depressed about than what you could have bought. I know what regret is like, but seriously, man, it's a jersey. It's not like you are dealing with the death of a friend, failure, or clinical depression. There will be a "next time" to make money. Just pass it off as a lesson learned, and you'll be fine next time. :)

gameused fan
02-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Cigarman,

Yes. Totally, totally agree. No way those jersey's should be that much. But I just was positive in the next week I'd have been able to flip it.

My one concern is what you said. I was worried people might not care that much about Santonio Holmes. I mean, how much is a Deion Branch jersey worth a few years after his MVP performance? Not much more than it was before that.

gameused fan
02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
frikativ54,

Now I'm starting to feel a bit better. By all means, it is only a piece of cloth. Wasn't even a piece of cloth I wanted. And, I was only going to get a bunch of paper for the cloth, so it's not that big of a deal. :)

I wish I could take your advice and just remember this for the next time and learn my lesson, but chances are I'll do the same thing next time, too. Grrrr.

Sluggo
02-02-2009, 12:08 AM
:D You stole my answer!

They could raise the price to one-million dollars apiece... That doesn't mean they'll ever get that themselves, or $5 grand, or even $3 grand.

And you still have $1,500 to get something you'll absolutely cherish.

Find things you enjoy. They'll never decrease in that value.

HAHA.

You were suppose to make me feel better! Maybe something like, "Ah, you'd never have actually been able to sell one for $5,000 yourself."

Or something like that. :)

Dang. This really sucks. OK. I'm done venting now. But, seriously, this really sucks!

gameused fan
02-02-2009, 12:20 AM
As a long time lurker and a very new poster, the community has come through for me tonight.

Sluggo's latest response made me feel like I'll get some sleep tonight, rather than toss and turn.

And, yes, I do know I'm being a tad dramatic. But as someone who makes around $30,000 per year, making a few thousand in one week and doing it legally doesn't come by very often!

So, I'm going to go with Sluggo on this one. I'm going to convince myself that I'd have only made, at best, a few hundred dollars on this whole venture.

spartakid
02-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's only clothing. I mean, there are plenty of other things to be depressed about than what you could have bought. I know what regret is like, but seriously, man, it's a jersey. It's not like you are dealing with the death of a friend, failure, or clinical depression. There will be a "next time" to make money. Just pass it off as a lesson learned, and you'll be fine next time. :)

Well.... technically he did fail in making money and or being able to pull the trigger and buy it, but I definitely do agree that there's no way his jersey will be worth that much in a few months. Man, I don't think I'm so good in this whole "making you feel better" thing. Well, looks like psychiatrist is out as a career. Ricardo

gameused fan
02-02-2009, 12:47 AM
HAHAHAHHAHAH.

Yeah, I indeed failed. Ain't no doubt about it. You're just telling the truth. I appreciate that. I think. :)

I guess it doesn't matter what the jersey was going to be worth in a few months, though. If I still had it in a few months, that means I was wrong about making quick money on it.

corsairs22
02-02-2009, 12:54 AM
If that had happened to me, I would kick myself. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if I got an email on Monday from the seller telling me that the Holmes jersies at $1500 had sold out and the website was a little late in reflecting that development.

spartakid
02-02-2009, 01:03 AM
HAHAHAHHAHAH.

Yeah, I indeed failed. Ain't no doubt about it. You're just telling the truth. I appreciate that. I think. :)

I guess it doesn't matter what the jersey was going to be worth in a few months, though. If I still had it in a few months, that means I was wrong about making quick money on it.

Yea it's one of those quick things that it's a gamble especially with that much money. If you can afford to lose it, then go ahead, but if not it might get you into trouble. Anyway, I think every collector has an item that they are kicking themselves over not getting, welcome to the club if you aren't already a member. ;)

BergerKing22784
02-02-2009, 03:15 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Dont feel bad I guarentee you could have paid for the item to only see a refund Monday morning as the company will use that line in their website that says "prices are subject to change without notice" or some crap.

I tried to make a purchase of a Sean Taylor autographed mini helmet when i woke up and found he had passed away from a local dealer who had a signing with him not to soon before his murder. Price was like 70 on the website, made the order paid to only have it refunded and to tell me the price was now $250. Needless to say I was pretty upset and have not shopped with the seller since.

MarinersFan34
02-02-2009, 03:49 AM
While it's possible you could have gotten it at the original price. I think that your window for big profits would have already passed. Even if they shipped it out tomorrow the few days in transit makes the window for max profit very small.

By having in hand now and listing it on eBay, you would have been able to really cash in, but after the first 2-3 days, the big window is gone. After 7 days the hype and high prices drop quite a bit usually. People will either have found what they wanted or after a few days realized it wasn't something they really needed.

Again, that's not to say you're better off the way it is now, as you might have made a profit but it's a gamble I wouldn't have taken because of the time involved. Unless of course I already had it in hand, then it's a no brainer, sell sell sell!

skyking26
02-02-2009, 07:03 AM
While it's possible you could have gotten it at the original price. I think that your window for big profits would have already passed. Even if they shipped it out tomorrow the few days in transit makes the window for max profit very small.

By having in hand now and listing it on eBay, you would have been able to really cash in, but after the first 2-3 days, the big window is gone. After 7 days the hype and high prices drop quite a bit usually. People will either have found what they wanted or after a few days realized it wasn't something they really needed.

Again, that's not to say you're better off the way it is now, as you might have made a profit but it's a gamble I wouldn't have taken because of the time involved. Unless of course I already had it in hand, then it's a no brainer, sell sell sell!
Hi, email at skyking442@hotmail.com at your convenience...

hrvatwill
02-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Given that the Homes jerseys were only worn for one game apiece, they were already overvalued in my opinion. Last night's hyperinflation only served to make them more overvalued.

One statement, though, that I have to disagree with in this thread:

>> A year from now nobody will remember Holmes or what he did in the Super Bowl <<

That is absolutely not the case in Pittsburgh. His performance yesterday vaulted him into legendary status there with the fan base.

hiramman
02-02-2009, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't sweat it. I would bet that no matter if your purchase went through on the website, you would have woken up this morning with an email stating that the jerseys were no longer available at the $1500 price and they just hadn't been updated on their site.

You would have never seen one of his jerseys for $1500, not now anyway. Now in 3 or 4 months maybe, but not today.

I personally think you just saved yourself a ton of stress and frustration. It's a missed gamble I would worry about.

Feek better?

gameused fan
02-02-2009, 10:38 AM
You bring up a quality point in saying that the website might not have honored the price. But I was thinking with a reputable place like that, they'd almost have to honor it? Or not? That might be naive thinking on my part.

gingi79
02-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Holmes is a good reciever, not great, not a HOF player but good and shined in a huge game. Just to put it in perspective here are a couple of guys, not as good but similar circumstances to his SB catch.

David Tyree jerseys will not command $500 even after last year's catch
Desmond Howard jeseys have sold at auction for far less than $1000
Dione Branch jerseys are nowhere near $1000
Dexter Jackson jerseys aren't worth squat

Now if he dropped it (again! No one will remember that Santonio DROPPED the GW TD pass as it flew through his hands as he landed inbounds on the other side of the field one play before!) and we were talking Larry Fitzgerald's catch won the Super Bowl, then I'd say you screwed up.

In this economy, considering other threads like the HUNT Super Bowl Auction and the number of DNS, even at $1500 it was a risk that someone HAD to have it and was willing to pay huge for it and I would be shocked that after March 1st anyone would cough up even $2000.

Unless you consigned it to NFL Auctions where even scrubs sell for thousands, I think you made the right decision. Plus Jim Yackel has:
Stephen Jackson for $1500
Joey Porter for $1700
Zach Thomas for $900

Those guys have a WAY better shot of making the HOF and retaining some of their value.

hrvatwill
02-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, I guess we'll get to see what the fair market value of one of his jerseys is at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Santonio-Holmes-Game-Used-Worn-Steelers-Jersey_W0QQitemZ270339186778QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270339186778&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1309

Started at a $9.99 bid with no reserve.

gingi79
02-02-2009, 09:17 PM
If you feel terrible, bid on the one on eBay. Would you feel you got a steal at $1000?

If you just wanted to flip, this auction will answer all your questions. Sadly if it goes for $4000, I will feel terrible for you. Better yet, if it sells for $600 you should feel fabulous!

gameused fan
02-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Yup. No doubt, this will end all speculation on my part. In about a week, I'll have my answer as to how big of a moron I am.

If it goes for anything more than $2,000, I might have to cry a little bit. But I promise I'll do it when nobody is watching.

gameused fan
02-02-2009, 10:57 PM
gingi79,

To answer your question, I never wanted the jersey for my own collection. I know it's horrible to say, but this just seemed like one of those unique situations (at least for me), where I thought I had found a way to make a nice profit in a short amount of time.

So, I can't imagine anybody is going to feel too bad for me.....unless the jersey really does go for $4,000.

OK. If you all don't mind, I don't want to talk about this anymore. :)

sonic
02-02-2009, 11:06 PM
True you probably cost yourself a buck or two in the short term. But the really idiots are the ones paying 3-6,000 for the jersey. A year from now nobody will remember Holmes or what he did in the Super Bowl and won't be able to get 1,000 for the jersey. J.O. is the real winner. We live in a right now world and a month from now his jerseys will be back to the normal inflated price of 1,500.00. Ofcourse Im a little bias, as a Rams fan was pulling for Kurt to get another ring :D

I was pulling for Kurt too, but I disagree with your analysis. Considering that Steelers jerseys are regarded as some of the most difficult to source, that the majority of the JO inventory had the interesting 75th anniversary team patch on them, and that Holmes made one of the greatest plays in what many are calling the greatest SB ever, I'd say that $1500 was a steal for one of his GU jerseys.

reed1216
02-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I bet the Holmes jersey on EBay goes for below $1,500. Also, the GUU store is selling a 2007 Holmes gamer for $2K (as of last night). If somebody thinks the price of Holmes jerseys is going to reach and stabalize at over $2500, they should get the one on GUU, before the price gets raised again.

Due to past Superbowl MVPs like Larry Brown (Cowboys), Mark Rypian (Redskins), Deion Branch, ect., I think $1500 is too much to pay, unless you're a die-hard Steelers fan and aren't buying for investment purposes.

Mr.3000
02-03-2009, 01:43 PM
I bet the Holmes jersey on EBay goes for below $1,500. Also, the GUU store is selling a 2007 Holmes gamer for $2K (as of last night). If somebody thinks the price of Holmes jerseys is going to reach and stabalize at over $2500, they should get the one on GUU, before the price gets raised again.

Due to past Superbowl MVPs like Larry Brown (Cowboys), Mark Rypian (Redskins), Deion Branch, ect., I think $1500 is too much to pay, unless you're a die-hard Steelers fan and aren't buying for investment purposes.

Direct link? I don't see it.

reed1216
02-03-2009, 01:45 PM
I just checked for it and it appears to have been removed or purchased. The original price had been $1500, before it was bumped to $2,000.

cohibasmoker
02-03-2009, 01:57 PM
I just checked for it and it appears to have been removed or purchased. The original price had been $1500, before it was bumped to $2,000.

What? It's still there. If you were one of the guys who called JO sports and paid xxx amount of dollars for it, you have to protect your investment so how can you let the jersey sell for anything less than what you paid for it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Santonio-Holmes-Game-Used-Worn-Steelers-Jersey_W0QQitemZ270339186778QQihZ017QQcategoryZ868 29QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

reed1216
02-03-2009, 02:09 PM
cohibasmoker- I'm not sure what you're referring to. I checked the GUU Store site again and the Holmes they had for $1500 and raised to $2000 is no longer there. The EBay jersey (which could be the one from GUU) is still for sale and is currently at $305. Who knows what it'll fetch, but if the over/under is $1500, my dime is on the under,,,

gingi79
02-09-2009, 08:50 PM
If you grabbed it at $1500 you might have been able to match the auction. It ended at $1851.

I think if there were two available it might not have gone so high.

I think passing was the good bet. Hope you feel better.

gameused fan
02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Yeah, no doubt. I totally thought this was going to go for way more.

See, either way I was going to be the moron. Either it went for a boatload of money, and I was a moron.

Now that it really didn't go for that much more than the $1,500 I would have had to pay for it, I'm still the moron for thinking it was going to go for way more.

But I'm not feeling bad anymore :)