PDA

View Full Version : Final Shea Goodbye

metsbats
02-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I took my family down to the Shea demo site for one last look today.

In 2-3 weeks it'll all be completely gone.

skyking26
02-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Can you walk right up on the area, including into or around the standing ruins in the photo (ie no tape or barriers to keep public out)?

I ask only because I have been in construction a LONG time, and your access there and should you get hurt is very problematic for the owners of the site (lawsuit). Amazing...

metsbats
02-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Can you walk right up on the area, including into or around the standing ruins in the photo (ie no tape or barriers to keep public out)?

I ask only because I have been in construction a LONG time, and your access there and should you get hurt is very problematic for the owners of the site (lawsuit). Amazing...

The whole perimeter was fenced off. No access to the demo site. To get some of the photos I had to put my hand thru the fences.

skyking26
02-01-2009, 08:07 PM
I see your sons standing on something in the background. Bulldozer not far away. It shocks me you guys could access the area you are standing in. Lawsuit waiting to happen, then they will wonder why...

dcrules01
02-01-2009, 08:19 PM
That just makes me cry :(

skyking26
02-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Progress. Time does not stand still. That way in all walks of life. Kids grow up, parents die, ballparks get torn down, new ones in its place.

metsbats
02-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I see your sons standing on something in the background. Bulldozer not far away. It shocks me you guys could access the area you are standing in. Lawsuit waiting to happen, then they will wonder why...

That's some other Dude with his son and that thing believe it or not is a giant tree stump! Folks were climbing on it to get a better view of the demo. Like I said the work area was fenced off and there were lots of folks walking around the perimeter.

Yesterday around 200 plus fans assembled at 12noon for an informal ceremony. I could n't make it yesterday and went today to pay my final respects.

dcrules01
02-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Progress. Time does not stand still. That way in all walks of life. Kids grow up, parents die, ballparks get torn down, new ones in its place.

Yeah but progress can suck sometimes.My father and younger both have passed away .I am 38 I lost my father 9 years ago my brother 11 years ago.The park held some fond memories of us going to Mets games there.But I have learned life goes on but it does not always make it easier.But I will always have this photo of me and my wife there
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/dcrules01/us002.jpg

metsbats
02-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Shea stadium was just a building, ballpark, cold concrete structure. It's the memories on the field and in the seats which made it what is was to each and every one of us. I realized that after standing there today looking at what is left of it. While the physical structure will be gone forever the memories will last a lifetime.

They may have taken away Shea Stadium but they can't take away our memories.

skyking26
02-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah but progress can suck sometimes.My father and younger both have passed away .I am 38 I lost my father 9 years ago my brother 11 years ago.The park held some fond memories of us going to Mets games there.But I have learned life goes on but it does not always make it easier.But I will always have this photo of me and my wife there
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/dcrules01/us002.jpg
Scott: I lost my mother at age 51. I literally watched her die. I would not wish that on anyone. I was in my 20's. I am very sorry about the loss of your family members. We always went to Tiger Stadium as a family. Good times.

Metsbats said it well though - it is the memories, not the structure. Tiger Stadium could not have been in a worse hellhole crime ridden area that it was in. Had to go. I'm 45, and have had it forced on me that nothing is forever, except memories! Nobody can take those away.

dcrules01
02-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Could not have said it better myself ..

dcrules01
02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
This was the reason I changed focus on my collection..It was the late 70's when my father started teaching me about the Mets telling me all about the team from 69 and 73 the Tom Seaver trade.Me and my brother spent hours watching those god awful teams in the late 70's and 80's on Channel 9 Kiners Korner.And there was nothing sweeter than the 3 of us watching the ball roll through Buckners legs in 86 and the Mets winning it all in Game 7..Tom Seaver coming back to Shea in 83 watching Dwight Gooden take the league by storm in 84..My father was sick he had cancer was diagnosed in April 2000..My only wish was him seeing the Mets win it all 1 more time but they fell short.While I sulked he sat there and said at least they got there and there was always next year.He was gone the following April.I cheerish all the memories with him so as with my brother who never seen Mike Piazza as a Mets he passed away May of 98.But I still have the last ticket stub from our last game at Shea together and that means more to me than any world series ticket..So you guys are right the memories will last a lifetime and no one can take them away from me..