PDA

View Full Version : Hunt NFL Superbowl Auction-Lots of DNS

jhunt28
02-01-2009, 11:11 AM
I didn't keep a close eye on the Superbowl auction last year, but I noticed a lot of "DNS-Did Not Sell" on the items. I was surprised to see these next to some of the featured items too, for example the game worn Elway Broncos jersey, Van Brocklin lid, Favre Jets jersey, etc. Is this normal?? Are they keeping some items for another auction? Does this mean that the items got zero bids because the minimum bid was too high? Just wondering...I wasn't physically at the auction, so maybe someone who was could shed some light? I would love it if this meant Hunt will re-auction these items, but maybe this is wishful thinking?? If anyone has any opinions or answers, I would be interesting in hearing them.

scottanservitz
02-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I just checked on some of the completed auctions last night. There were quite a few lots that didn't sell. I believe the opening bids were too high. Many lots that did sell went for the low end of the opening bids. One that caught my eye was a Michael Turner Chargers gamer for $500. After the year that guy had, somebody got a great deal......
Scott

ironmanfan
02-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm sure Hunt was hoping that some more 'high-rollers' would be at the Super Bowl this week to bid in person. With the economy and the presence of the Cardinals in the Super Bowl (as opposed to let's say the Giants or Cowboys), I'm sure everything is surpressed.

suicide_squeeze
02-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I think the obvious has come to roost.

The economy has hit our hobby harder than anyone wanted to admit.

I scanned through the Hunt auction last night, as I am always curious to see what things go for, even though I am strickly a "baseball" collector, not football. I actually logged in this morning with the intent to start this exact post, but I was beat to it by jhunt28.

The Hunt auction had fairly dismal results. There were a TON of DNS's, and lots of lots....I would say a majority.....went for less then the stated range of estimated auction value.

I believe that the starting opening bids were of little cause: The bids of the items that did not sell simply just didn't reach the silent reserves placed on the items by the consigners. There may have been one or two that didn't get the opening bid amount, but largely I'm sure that had little effect on the DNS items.

The bottom line.....We all felt the hobby was partially effected by the bad economy, and figured it would be the "lesser valued" items that suffered the most. Now, we can see by this auction......it's effected every level of auctioned items, from onesy-twosy bids for chump change, to the highly sought after "museum pieces".

It's gonna be a tough year. If you have a chunk of change and are waiting for that one special item to add to your collection, this may be your year, as the price may stay in your range. On the other hand, if the consigners hold back on the items they make available.....this may be remembered as "the year of the garbage sales".

mvandor
02-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Oddly, I bid the low estimate on a Quentin Jammer London Chargers uni through the NFL Auction site and today that item is marked DNS.

??????

I guess the low estimate number isn't the equivalent of a reserve price?

helmets
02-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I did bid on some of the items on the auction. One of the lots that I bought states sold for $0. Others, I know sold and show $0. I think it is clearly a case of the person that updated the site, did not have enough information. The other idea is that Hunt Auctions does not want people to know what certain items sold for.

jhunt28
02-01-2009, 12:40 PM
The Jammer gamer is a great example...There was a lack of information (because I bid on a few items as well) on the bidding side of things. Perhaps they should have thrown away the "estimated selling price", and just told us the minimum bid to own the piece? But lets take the Jets Favre gamer...most of us saw the action that piece got on NFLAUCTION.com. I wonder if the minimum bid on that was set way too high (ie. $10,000)? Or perhaps people know that Brett is finished in NY, and are rethinking the value of that jersey? Those are the only things I can think of...and I guess the only way to know for sure is to hear it from someone who was in attendance in Tampa. Normally in a Superbowl setting, you have a mix of people with bucks, and some booze going around to make the bids flow freely. I just find this auction odd...I realize that this economy is horrendous at the moment, but I have really yet to see prices on GOOD QUALITY game worn items drop. Or at least, the items I want still seem to be slipping out of my reach!! But I guess this could be the year to take advantage of the poor economy if you are able to do so...it would be nice to see things down from their inflated prices, including game worn items. But this remains to be seen...we will see how the next AMI auction results go, I think that will be a good barometer of the year to come. Good luck to everyone in 2009...

Dewey2007
02-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Did anyone on the forum pick up the Marshawn Lynch gamer for $400? Great price (especially if that includes the hammer) although the autograph on the back of the jersey is horrible IMO.

jbcindc
02-01-2009, 01:19 PM
First time I've posted on this site. I am the lucky winner of the Michael Turner jersey for $500. I participated by phone and the Hunt Auctions rep was surprised at how low things were selling for. I got the impression that he worked for the NFL or followed its auctions closely because he once stated that things were going for much lower than through the NFL online auctions. The connection wasn't great -- a lot of ambient noise and the auctioneer -- and I tried to bid higher on several items that sold before he could hear me yelling "YES!" into the phone. I ended up winning the Chargers' Russ Washington, and Turner jerseys and Cromartie's uniform from London. I lost out three others because he couldn't hear me. The auctioneer seemed to start the bids somewhere between the low and high bids. I enjoyed it but came away wishing I'd been able to buy more.

Jason

Eric
02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
First time I've posted on this site. I am the lucky winner of the Michael Turner jersey for $500. I participated by phone and the Hunt Auctions rep was surprised at how low things were selling for. I got the impression that he worked for the NFL or followed its auctions closely because he once stated that things were going for much lower than through the NFL online auctions. The connection wasn't great -- a lot of ambient noise and the auctioneer -- and I tried to bid higher on several items that sold before he could hear me yelling "YES!" into the phone. I ended up winning the Chargers' Russ Washington, and Turner jerseys and Cromartie's uniform from London. I lost out three others because he couldn't hear me. The auctioneer seemed to start the bids somewhere between the low and high bids. I enjoyed it but came away wishing I'd been able to buy more.

Jason

Jason
Great to hear from you. Sounds like you're a Chargers guy. I'd love to hear about your game used collection. If you feel like it, email me at ecky3@aol.com
Thanks
Eric

sonic
02-01-2009, 02:29 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: The ONE item I REALLY REALLY wanted was the Brandon Marshall jersey that sold for way more than the estimate. I was the runner up. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

lund6771
02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
I ended up getting a few items for me & a friend...

Jay Cutler $1200
Deuce $1300
Sproles $2300

I also was bidding on both Tomlinson jerseys and there were only 2 bidders on both lots....me & one other guy....if either of us didn't bid, they would have sold for $4000 each...far less than previous years

It was pretty evident that the bidding was slow....I was bidding over the phone and they actually called me a couple of times to see if I wanted to bid on lots that I didn't register for...I was driving, so I couldn't remember specific lots at the time...but I would have loved to have bid on the Lynch, Turner, Porter, Ronnie Brown, Pennington and many more

Definitely a buyer's auction!

schubert1970
02-01-2009, 03:29 PM
How much did the Elway jersey go for?

gridman80
02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
I didn't keep a close eye on the Superbowl auction last year, but I noticed a lot of "DNS-Did Not Sell" on the items. I was surprised to see these next to some of the featured items too, for example the game worn Elway Broncos jersey, Van Brocklin lid, Favre Jets jersey, etc. Is this normal?? Are they keeping some items for another auction? Does this mean that the items got zero bids because the minimum bid was too high? Just wondering...I wasn't physically at the auction, so maybe someone who was could shed some light? I would love it if this meant Hunt will re-auction these items, but maybe this is wishful thinking?? If anyone has any opinions or answers, I would be interesting in hearing them.

reserve on the Favre Jets was $10K...it went up to $8K ....

EndzoneSports
02-06-2009, 01:22 PM
How much did the Elway jersey go for?

Based on information that we have received the Elway gamer fell into the DNS category. This one would have been a great one to add to someone's collection as it displayed solid wear and could possibly be DNA-matched :eek: as the front of the jersey had what appeared to be significant blood staining (by the way, we personally inspected this jersey and provided our Letter of Opinion).

A collector informed us that he was contacted after the auction by Hunt who offered the jersey via direct sale at what seamed a quite reasonable, albeit not cheap price.

Best regards,

encinorick
02-06-2009, 03:23 PM
If there are any Los Angeles Rams fans out there, I have the LA Rams Gary Jeter (circa 1987-88) lid. Anyone interested?

jhunt28
02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
This is strange...I had put a bid in at nflauctions for the Hunt Superbowl Auction. I bid what I thought was fair for the game worn Bettis helmet with gloves...only I bid $2,500. I get an email today saying my shipment has been sent, and I owe $3,400??? I've never dealt with something like this, and of course everyone at Hunt is gone. Anyone ever have this happen??? The worst part is I never received any notification that I had won anything even after the auction closed???

silverschmidts
02-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I was very displeased at the lack of transparency in this auction. Many of the DNS items had bids, but Hunt never disclosed that many items had, as one person referred to it, "silent reserves" placed upon them. I have never seen this practice before and I think it's a bad policy. As a bidder who bid in absentia on several items that DNS, I can say that if I had known in advance what the reserve was (or even that there was a reserve), I would have bid higher on some items. I don't understand what purpose is served by having silent reserves. I think they cause confusion and suspicion. Even Ebay, which allows reserves, at least lets you know that there IS a reserve. IN the case of Hunt, not only do they keep the reserve a secret, they don't even tell you whether or not there is a reserve on an item. I spoke to a Hunt representative about this after the auction and expressed my displeasure, but it was pretty clear during the discussion that the Hunt representative wasn't particularly concerned about my views and that Hunt Auctions will continue to use this unusual and I believe unattractive practice. --Steve

suicide_squeeze
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I was very displeased at the lack of transparency in this auction. Many of the DNS items had bids, but Hunt never disclosed that many items had, as one person referred to it, "silent reserves" placed upon them. I have never seen this practice before and I think it's a bad policy. As a bidder who bid in absentia on several items that DNS, I can say that if I had known in advance what the reserve was (or even that there was a reserve), I would have bid higher on some items. I don't understand what purpose is served by having silent reserves. I think they cause confusion and suspicion. Even Ebay, which allows reserves, at least lets you know that there IS a reserve. IN the case of Hunt, not only do they keep the reserve a secret, they don't even tell you whether or not there is a reserve on an item. I spoke to a Hunt representative about this after the auction and expressed my displeasure, but it was pretty clear during the discussion that the Hunt representative wasn't particularly concerned about my views and that Hunt Auctions will continue to use this unusual and I believe unattractive practice. --Steve

Steve,

I know at this moment you probably won't agree, but Hunt is one of the truly good auction houses in this biz.

They have always honored a "silent reserve" for any item they have auctioned off if there was a reserve requested by the consigner.

I think the reason that has become a more "transparent" issue is due to the economy, and therefore lack of usual bids that would be thrown at items. There are other factors too, like maybe there are more consigners trying to sell items won at an earlier time that maybe they paid a bit too much for, and now they are trying to insure they don't "lose" when offing them.

Bottom line, there is something to be learned here. If there are any items that you are really trying to win, whether you are present or absent, maybe it would be a good idea to call before the auction takes place and ask Hunt if those items have any kind of a reserve. If you did that, and they THEN told you "We can't divulge that information".....then I would have to wholeheartedly agree with you, but I don't think that would be the case. I think they would be happy to share that amount with you. After all, they are in the business to complete the sale of these items up for auction. "DNS's" are not a good thing for ANYONE involved.

Better luck on the next auction!

Regards,

Steve (also)