PDA

View Full Version : team USA gamers and Hunt auctions

markize
01-30-2009, 08:25 PM
just got my Hunt auctions magazine in the mail today. all you team USA collectors out there might want to check this out. i wish there was a player i was interested in. nice lots of 6+ gamers.

oh, and before i get thrown under a bus.....NO i am NOT affiliated with Hunt auctions, and NO, i am NOT a consignor of any items. just a heads up as i was impressed after looking through the list.

mark

Mr.3000
01-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Link?

markize
01-30-2009, 08:50 PM
sorry, I was in a hurry to get out the door, and forgot. I will post it later when I get home. It is under upcoming internet auctions I believe.

Mark

Mr.3000
01-30-2009, 09:17 PM
sorry, I was in a hurry to get out the door, and forgot. I will post it later when I get home. It is under upcoming internet auctions I believe.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll look there.

markize
01-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Link?

it wont give me a link to the actual auction. just go under upcoming events, and search lot numbers. the USA gamers are lots #989 - 1058.

mark

Vintagedeputy
01-31-2009, 07:44 AM
anyone have a good source for Team USA rosters and photos?

russyurk
01-31-2009, 03:33 PM
USA baseball is one of the main focuse of my collection. Rosters & photos are hard to come by and I have complied yearbooks and programs as often as possible. USA Baseball has some info available at the links below.

http://web.usabaseball.com/about/alumni.jsp

http://mlb.mlb.com/usa_baseball/article.jsp?story=history_national

allstarsplus
01-31-2009, 03:40 PM
USA baseball is one of the main focuse of my collection. Rosters & photos are hard to come by and I have complied yearbooks and programs as often as possible. USA Baseball has some info available at the links below.

http://web.usabaseball.com/about/alumni.jsp

http://mlb.mlb.com/usa_baseball/article.jsp?story=history_national

russyurk - Please email me at info@AllstarsPlus.com if you have any Ryan Zimmerman team USA items.

thanks. Andrew

russyurk
01-31-2009, 03:45 PM
At a very quick glance most of these items look to be from 2001 & 2002 when the team was based in Arizona. Some national team stuff but also stuff from the 18-U and 16-U squads.

allstarsplus
01-31-2009, 03:55 PM
At a very quick glance most of these items look to be from 2001 & 2002 when the team was based in Arizona. Some national team stuff but also stuff from the 18-U and 16-U squads.

Thanks. If you run across any let me know. I was very fortunate to get one of few game used bats from Team USA with the USA logo. I also got a Cal Ripken jersey that Cal wore for something he did for them (possibly a promotion).

What do you think of those Hunt items? Are they extras, light use, heavy use?

I just wonder how many sets they have considering how many cut up for cards and are kept by the players families.

russyurk
01-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks. If you run across any let me know. I was very fortunate to get one of few game used bats from Team USA with the USA logo. I also got a Cal Ripken jersey that Cal wore for something he did for them (possibly a promotion).

What do you think of those Hunt items? Are they extras, light use, heavy use?

I just wonder how many sets they have considering how many cut up for cards and are kept by the players families.

Andrew - I just added my 23rd Team USA jersey after the Olympics this past summer. I'm a jersey guy and can't speak to the bats but the jerseys look pretty solid. I date these to '01-'02 which was right before and just as Upper Deck began the Team USA sets. Most were members of the 18-U and 16-U squads and those jerseys were not included in those sets. Essentially they were no-name kids and a few (Milledge, Pedroia, etc) went on to be well-known. Wear seems very consistent with a short tournament...with multiple colors many may have only been worn only 2-3 times. There are a few that have dirt stains on the front but almost all of mine show little to no use. Photo matching these will be almost impossible, the tournaments took place over seas and junior national teams just don't draw publicity in this country. I work in sports and know one gentleman at USA Baseball a little and plan to reach out to him this week to see what he know. When they left the Millington, TN training site I know equipment was left behind and I was able to pick up a helmet for a small amount. I am a little surprised this stuff has sat around so long but stranger things have happened.

allstarsplus
01-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Andrew - I just added my 23rd Team USA jersey after the Olympics this past summer. I'm a jersey guy and can't speak to the bats but the jerseys look pretty solid. I date these to '01-'02 which was right before and just as Upper Deck began the Team USA sets. Most were members of the 18-U and 16-U squads and those jerseys were not included in those sets. Essentially they were no-name kids and a few (Milledge, Pedroia, etc) went on to be well-known. Wear seems very consistent with a short tournament...with multiple colors many may have only been worn only 2-3 times. There are a few that have dirt stains on the front but almost all of mine show little to no use. Photo matching these will be almost impossible, the tournaments took place over seas and junior national teams just don't draw publicity in this country. I work in sports and know one gentleman at USA Baseball a little and plan to reach out to him this week to see what he know. When they left the Millington, TN training site I know equipment was left behind and I was able to pick up a helmet for a small amount. I am a little surprised this stuff has sat around so long but stranger things have happened.

Thanks for dating those. If they are that old, I wonder if they have any newer jerseys.

joelsabi
01-31-2009, 11:01 PM

russyurk, you seem very knowledgable about team usa items. can you give us the rundown of when certain color jerseys are used. i believe the red jersey are used at least for the pan am games. look forward to your post.

joelsabi
01-31-2009, 11:05 PM

also do you know if there are name plates used for team usa jersey. i thought it peculiar that only one photo for all the auctions items showed a name plate (trujillo nameplate).

russyurk
02-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Joel - The lack of name plates is very common with these jerseys. They have appeared on all Olympic Team jerseys (except 1988) and a few random national teams over the years. Of my 20+ I believe only three have name plates (all Olympic used/issued). I'm sure it saves money and with the last-minute nature some of our squads are pulled together it probably is just easier that way. Of my recent acquisitions directly from USA Baseball auctions I have a 2005 World Cup and 2006 Olympic Qualifying jerseys without name plates.

I don't have an exact breakdown of what colors were used when but the red and blue have been used as alternates for a number of years. The red is not exclusive to Pan Am teams. Since the move to the current style in 1993 there have been very few modifications. Front numbers were added in 1994, vests used in 1996 only, two different American flag patches, various sponsor/commemorative patches and the move from Rawlings to Majestic in 2006.

I haven't been through every lot but the Trujillo lot stands out as he is listed on the USA Baseball alumni page as having only played with Team USA in 2005, definitely out of the range of most of these and Sunny Golloway doesn't appear on the list at all.

russyurk
02-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Just found Sunny Golloway, he was a coach

joelsabi
02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Joel - The lack of name plates is very common with these jerseys. They have appeared on all Olympic Team jerseys (except 1988) and a few random national teams over the years. Of my 20+ I believe only three have name plates (all Olympic used/issued). I'm sure it saves money and with the last-minute nature some of our squads are pulled together it probably is just easier that way. Of my recent acquisitions directly from USA Baseball auctions I have a 2005 World Cup and 2006 Olympic Qualifying jerseys without name plates.

I don't have an exact breakdown of what colors were used when but the red and blue have been used as alternates for a number of years. The red is not exclusive to Pan Am teams. Since the move to the current style in 1993 there have been very few modifications. Front numbers were added in 1994, vests used in 1996 only, two different American flag patches, various sponsor/commemorative patches and the move from Rawlings to Majestic in 2006.

I haven't been through every lot but the Trujillo lot stands out as he is listed on the USA Baseball alumni page as having only played with Team USA in 2005, definitely out of the range of most of these and Sunny Golloway doesn't appear on the list at all.

thanks for the reply. very helpful info. anyone want to go in on a bat lot?

chakes89
02-02-2009, 02:17 PM
How much would shipping be for one player lot?

Anyone know or should I just poke around on the site until I find something?

godwulf
02-02-2009, 04:16 PM
russyurk....

You don't happen to have Greg Smith's 2006 Team U.S.A. road jersey, do you? I got Mark Reynolds' and Mike Bacsik's, but I wanted to get all three of the DBacks prospects' jerseys for that year, and I let myself get outbid on the Smith jersey. I have the lineup card from the U.S. dugout, from the last game against Cuba, in Havana, in the Olympic qualifying tournament, and I wanted to someday display those jerseys with the card.

Jeff

Mr.3000
02-02-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm high bidder on one of the USA jersey lots =) We'll see if my bid holds out another 20+ days.

russyurk
02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Sorry Jeff I don't, I typically try to purchase just one form each team/tournament.

GarkoCollector
02-02-2009, 07:12 PM
How long does approval take for registration?

russyurk
02-04-2009, 10:10 AM
How long does approval take for registration?
My registration took about a day this past weekend.

dcrules01
02-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I never got the confirmation email from them when I registered.I called and the lady said I was good to go and everything was processed 2 days before the day after I signed up..

GarkoCollector
02-04-2009, 08:59 PM
I never got the confirmation email from them when I registered.I called and the lady said I was good to go and everything was processed 2 days before the day after I signed up..

Same here. I called the woman whose name is listed on the website and she said they were away and would call me back. Sure enough, 2 days later she called and verified I was ready to go.

Now I just wish I could afford anything there!
Tom

maccamania
03-15-2009, 08:35 PM
This auction is no longer on-line due to the current one so I can not search for it. Do you have any info on the Dustin Pedroia that was in the auction. How much it went, what year it was from and anything related would be great and myabe a picture.
thank you

joelsabi
03-15-2009, 11:56 PM
This auction is no longer on-line due to the current one so I can not search for it. Do you have any info on the Dustin Pedroia that was in the auction. How much it went, what year it was from and anything related would be great and myabe a picture.
thank you

http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=58&lot_num=1000

joelsabi
03-16-2009, 12:03 AM
http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=58&lot_num=1000

Final Bid: $515.00

maccamania
03-16-2009, 05:26 AM
thank you very much> Any idea what year and with lag of tagging, any opinion of its authenticity??

skyking26
03-16-2009, 07:26 AM
thank you very much> Any idea what year and with lag of tagging, any opinion of its authenticity??
Anybody have any idea when and where/if the USA stuff from now will become available??

RK

flaco1801
03-18-2009, 08:35 PM
i have a 1984 red john hoover shirt and a batting helmet from millington also.

russyurk
03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
i have a 1984 red john hoover shirt and a batting helmet from millington also.

Flaco - I'd love to see some pictures of your 1984 Hoover.
russandkaty@earthlink.net

TNTtoys
03-19-2009, 09:33 AM

With the lack of year tagging on the Team USA jerseys/pants, I thought to go to the Team USA website, where there is a historical roster of every member who ever played for the team and the year(s) in which they played. For guys that were on the team for 1 year, it is pretty easy to deduce the year in which the uniforms were used.

godwulf
03-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I've been eagerly awaiting the Team USA uniforms/helmets I won the auctions for awhile back, along with the 2002 Bob Brenly ASG coach's jersey, and UPS tried to deliver them last night and I wasn't home. Doh! I'll be camped out by the door tonight, for sure.

russyurk
03-20-2009, 09:44 AM
With the lack of year tagging on the Team USA jerseys/pants, I thought to go to the Team USA website, where there is a historical roster of every member who ever played for the team and the year(s) in which they played. For guys that were on the team for 1 year, it is pretty easy to deduce the year in which the uniforms were used.

The USA Baseball Alumni link is : http://web.usabaseball.com/about/alumni.jsp

Most of these dated around 2001-02.

CampWest
03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Hey Russ. I've been searching high and low for a picture of Billy Butler, 2003 18U team. Specifically wearing this jersey. I showed it to him at Royals Fan Fest this year and he confirmed it was his. Problem is I want a picture to display with it and have had no luck. If you have anything that would help, I would be very appreciative. Thanks. Incidentally, I have been able to locate one pick with this style and patches, but it was a red rather than blue jersey.

http://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/PCollection/butlerusafs.jpghttp://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/PCollection/butlerusabs.jpghttp://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/PCollection/butlerusass.jpg

russyurk
03-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey Russ. I've been searching high and low for a picture of Billy Butler, 2003 18U team. Specifically wearing this jersey. I showed it to him at Royals Fan Fest this year and he confirmed it was his. Problem is I want a picture to display with it and have had no luck. If you have anything that would help, I would be very appreciative. Thanks. Incidentally, I have been able to locate one pick with this style and patches, but it was a red rather than blue jersey.

http://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/PCollection/butlerusafs.jpghttp://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/PCollection/butlerusabs.jpghttp://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/PCollection/butlerusass.jpg
CampWest - Photos for the junior national teams are almost non-existent. I've never seen a program or press guide for these teams (18-u, 16-u, etc.) I'm sure they exist but most likely in small quantities. My guess would be that Team USA and/or their official photographer may be the only source for these.

Thanks for sharing, believe it or not I have never seen one for sale with the Richard Case memorial patch and do not have one in my collection. Let me know if you know of any on the market.

Russ

cordovacollector
03-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Does anyone on this board happen to know where the Doug Mientkiewicz 2000 Sydney USA Olympics jersey happens to be?

Thanks!

CampWest
03-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Wow, that is interesting. I will let you know if I see any. From what I heard from the guy I bought this from, Butler has his red jersey from that year and was unable to keep the blue for some reason. As I recall, that year for whatever reason they actually let the players keep some of their gear, so perhaps that is why there is so little on the market with the Case patch. Incidentally, my initials are also RWC... :cool:

Thanks for sharing, believe it or not I have never seen one for sale with the Richard Case memorial patch and do not have one in my collection. Let me know if you know of any on the market.

Russ

CampWest
03-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Also, thanks for the tip on the official photographer... I'll try to send them a request. I sent a request to Billy, thinking his family might have some photos but have not received a response so far.