PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worse signers

oakesc8855
01-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Who are the best and worst superstars to get to sign in person, lets hear your stories, good and bad and see some pictures of items and with players.

spartakid
01-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Well I know from stories that Barry Bonds is a jerk, but now he may need to to paid signings to pay the bills:p Karma is so sweet. As an A's fan I know Nick Swisher was a GREAT signer and a fan favorite. I went to the occasional game a few years back and EVERY game he was signing and I got his auto. I also got Sammy Sosa when he was on the DL for the Rangers. Nice guy (from the bits and pieces I got of his Spanish.)

jetersbatboy
01-26-2009, 12:07 AM
People have nothing but great things to say about Willie Mays, Randy Johnson and Johnny Bench:rolleyes:

Vintagedeputy
01-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Mark Wohlers was a total ass as his career was doing a swirly here in Richmond.

thrush29
01-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Nolan Ryan was the best I ever encountered, atleast during spring training in Port Charlotte when he was with the Rangers. The org. would put out a sign everyday as to whether he was signing or not. If the sign was out indicating that he was signing a line would start to form near the fenced in area where he parked. After his workout he would bring out a small chair/desk combo at sit at the front of the line. He would sign for the entire line and converse/take photos with everyone. I always thought that was kind of cool!.........unfortunately the ex-wife has the photos.

allstarsplus
01-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I stopped a long time ago trying to get ballpark sigs as the chase usually left you in frustration and a poor sig.

Worst in ballpark and paid signing - Eddie Murray would refuse to sign at the ballpark even if you were there during batting practice with a child before the stadium opened to the public. At a paid signing, Eddie had his wireless earpiece in and talked on his phone while signing for customers. Never again.

Worst paid athlete - Have to disagree with Jetersaboy above in that Willie Mays was a jerk. Refused to sign in ballpoint pen and only a sharpie, even though you were paying him. Was told later he has bad eyesight but if true it didn't excuse how rude he was.

Best experience at the ballpark was Mark McGwire and Cal Ripken.

Best experience in person for a public signing was Cal Ripken. Took his time, posed for pictures. Talked to you while he was signing. Amazing experience and worth spending the extra money to get him in a public signing.

Best experience in a private signing was Ryan Zimmerman who made suggestions of pen types, inscriptions, and didn't rush things. Good conversation throughout making it a great experience.

skyking26
01-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Nolan Ryan was the best I ever encountered, atleast during spring training in Port Charlotte when he was with the Rangers. The org. would put out a sign everyday as to whether he was signing or not. If the sign was out indicating that he was signing a line would start to form near the fenced in area where he parked. After his workout he would bring out a small chair/desk combo at sit at the front of the line. He would sign for the entire line and converse/take photos with everyone. I always thought that was kind of cool!.........unfortunately the ex-wife has the photos.
Ah, I remember those days. Mid 90's, I was down in Port Charlotte and everything you stated is right on the money. That is how I obtained Ryan's sig. Pheonominal way to take care of fans. Class act.

Among my best experiences would be:

Dave Kingman: Always cordial with my wife and kids, carrying on conversation. Has signed many a time away from venue. Once turned down a limo ride to JFK so I could take him to airport. Always cordial and talkative to fans...provided you do not piss him off - which would be the case with anyone.

Andre Dawson/Paul Molitor: Class acts. Extremely friendly guys. Dawson is alot quieter a person.

Frank Howard: Hondo is my best. This guy makes customer satisfaction an art form. Warmest, friendliest guy you could possibly meet.

Joe Morgan: This HOFer is tops of all time. I got him in Chicago in the early 90's at a National. I had just obtained a ticket for going the wrong way on a one way on my way to the event. The cop actually made me follow him to a precinct instead of taking care of things at the car. Morgan heard my story while in line and had everybody at the National sign the baseball for me...HOF'ers abound. What a guy.

Bill Madlock: Spoke with my son about Little League and gave him pointers on his stance.

Honorable mentions of great signers: Sparky Anderson, Bert Blyleven, Killebrew, Bob Feller.

Worst signers:

Mark McGwire: Whether at the park or in person, my 3 or 4 experiences were all the same. At a paid appearance he would not speak with any patron, never looked up, and at some instances had his girlfriend on his lap...

Willie Mays: Just a nasty man. Obviously feels the world somehow wronged him - now how to take it out on the fans paying for my scribe??

Al Kaline: Irritable man. I've seen him throw things when asked to sign. At paid events he does not speak to anyone and acts pissed off.

Albert Belle: Mean. I'm not sure there is a happy bone in this guys body. Need not say more here.

Mike Schmidt: Another nasty. Paid appearance in Chicago. No personality whatsoever.

godwulf
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Randy Johnson is the worst, by far, I've ever encountered, and I think everyone who has been on this board for awhile has heard that story. :rolleyes:

I honestly can't think of anyone else I've ever encountered who was a bad signer. Some guys seem a bit nervous and so they don't talk a lot, but you can tell it is just nervousness, so you can't really hold it against them.

Pete Rose wasn't exactly Mr. Personality when I saw him, but I wasn't really expecting him to be, so I wasn't disappointed.

The best: probably a tie between Luis Gonzalez and Matt Williams.

The first time I met Gonzo was in '99, and I was just beginning to get stuff signed and had a lot to learn. I asked him to sign a ball for me with a black Sharpie, and he said, "Are you sure?" and then went on to explain to me why ballpoint was better; I've never forgotten that. At another signing, he got there about ten minutes late, and the first thing he did was to apologize to everyone, and explain that he'd been at his son's basketball game. I've been to probably at least a half dozen signings by Gonzo, and he's always fantastic.

I can't say enough nice things about Matty. He talks with everyone like they are someone he's known all his life, and makes a point of putting the best possible signature on anything he's given.

Honorable mention: Bobby Witt, Ken Phelps, Miguel Batista, Greg Swindell.

BULBUS
01-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Don Mattingly, one of the best! The line takes forever, beacuse he will talk to you and take pictures. Well worth the wait!

smittyark
01-26-2009, 02:09 PM
At the park, Cal Ripken was probably the best big name signer. I got him 3 days in a row in Detroit.

I spent most summers with my Uncle in Cincinnati growing up and he worked the games, so I went all the time. I have to say Rob Dibble was the biggest asshole ever. Refused every attempt to sign. Would say he would come back later and wouldn't. Often times I would get in the park before the general public, but I never had any luck with Dibble.

gameu08
01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Cal Ripken was great met him at a MAB show. But my favorite was Brian Urlacher who talked with me and took some pics. Great sig as well.

mike

Sluggo
01-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't care how many wins, homers, WS rings these guys have, they were rude, foul-mouthed, disrespectful people, often in front of old ladies, little kids, etc: (all are based on multiple, routine experiences - not like I only saw them once)

BAD back in the day: Randy Myers (whew!), Keith Hernandez, Eddie Murray, Alfredo Griffin, Felix Jose, Billy Ripken, Lou Piniella, Frank Robinson, Rickey Henderson

GREAT back in the day: Mike Morgan, Matt Williams, Jack Armstrong, Luis Quinones, Terry Kennedy, Cal Ripken Sr, Cal Ripken Jr, Mark Eichorn, Dave Stewart, Dwight Gooden, Jim Palmer, Jose Canseco, Dave Justice

They may not all be HOFers, but they are true class acts.

Sluggo
01-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Forgot one of the greatest: Buddy Bell!

GREAT back in the day:

They may not all be HOFers, but they are true class acts.

bigtruck260
01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Best - Willie McGee...humble, humble, humble. HUGE in STL. Bigger draw than most HOF including Musial at the shows I've attended.

Worst - Reggie Jackson. No comment, just not very nice.

godwulf
01-27-2009, 02:59 PM
I've never met (the now retired) Eric Young, but judging from the way his son, Eric Jr., whom I met this past year in the Arizona Fall League, conducts himself around the fans, I'm guessing that the Dad was an excellent role model.

Agree about Mike Morgan - MoMan! One of the most talkative individuals I've ever met in my life, and a sweetheart...and he signed the same way he talked - profusely. I've got an 8 x 10 photo that he signed for me shortly after the '01 WS, and he inscribed it, "To Jeff, Friends Forever! 2001 World Series Champions", etc, etc, and just covered the entire photo with writing, talking a blue streak the entire time. It was hilarious.

I remember the time MoMan got hit hard on his right knee with a line drive, and was on the ground, writhing with agonizing pain for a good five minutes, while everyone gathered around trying to help; it was one of the ugliest things I've ever seen on a ballfield. Ten minutes later, the skipper, Bob Brenly, was walking off the field shaking his head - MoMan had talked Brenly into letting him stay out there and pitch some more.

xpress34
01-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Amazing hearing stories that go right along with my experiences...

Nolan Ryan (my #1 guy - see my board name)... I've met Nolan quite a few times, but last year at Spring Training in Surprise, AZ took the cake... if he is at the game, a line forms about the 5th inning and Nolan will sign one auto and do a photo with everyone in line after the game ends. Well, at the game I got him at there were some 'pros' working the line with CASES of OMLB balls asking every adult if their kids were all getting autos. If not, they were asking them to get a ball signed 'for their kid/niece/nephew'... anyway, after getting my CUSTOM Made Ryan Bat (I use to work for Rawlings and I hand turned this bat) auto'd, I went out near the practice fields where the players drive out and walked up to the closest point. When Nolan drove out, I held up my Ryan BP jersey and he smiled, waved and drove past. I wasn't mad - he'd already signed my Bat - but as he got to where the road curves, he realized I was the ONLY person out there, stopped, backed up while rolling down his window and waving me up. he signed not only my Jersey but my Mini-Mitt as well. ALWAYS a class act.

Another amazing guy was Mike Modano when the Stars are here in Denver. First time I met him it was raining/snowing at the hotel and when he came out he waved and siad in a few minutes - well, half the crowd left bitching that he was getting on the team bus and blowing us off. About 2 minutes after they left, he comes back around the bus - signs EVERYTHING anyone had, took pictures, chatted us all up and then he looks at his watch and says, "Hey guys - I have about 10 more minutes before the bus leaves. Does anyone have anything else they need signed or any other pictures?" Talk about a Goddwill Ambassador to your sport!

Other TOP guys that I have met and either gotten auto or picture or both:
Matt Holliday (I will have to write aanother paragraph about Matty), Juan Pierre, Luis Gonzalez, Jeff Bagwell, Sean Casey, Gabe Kapler, Don Mattingly, Vin Scully, Don Sutton, Doug Brocail, Sandy Alomar, Ron Gardenhire, Joe Mauer, Mark Grace, Tony Gwynn, Eric Young (Sr and Jr) and YES - EY Sr is a GREAT guy, Vinny Castilla, Taylor Buchholz, Clint Barmes, Aaron Miles and many others...

NOW, for my NAUGHTY List - with a few stories mixed in - Randy Johnson (almost got in a fight with him - another story), Eddie Murray, Kirk Gibson, Sammy Sosa, A-Fraud, Scotty Bowman (JERK!), Steroid Bonds, Austin Kearns and a few others, but my TOP TWO are:

Rafael Palmiero - 1st meet was 1990 card show in Dallas. $3 admission and Raffy AU. He was taking everyone's cards and folding them in half before he signed so 'no one would be selling his auto in the dealer room.' 2nd meet was at Surprise, AZ Rangers 1st Spring in AZ. My wife and I were the only ones on the rail at the time and he walked by and told us he'd be back - then he sat in the dugout alone for like 20 minutes and kept looking to see if we were there, then blew us off (for ONE card) - blew us off again later at the batting cages... 3rd time - Orioles are here for Interleague with the Rockies. ALL 3 days he would hide behind a pillar or ignore the few people that were there until his cab came and THEN have the audacity to looka t us and say, "I'd love to sign guys, but my cab is here now" like he couldn't see or hear us earlier. I noticed he became a ghost after his steroids issue came up - GOOD RIDDANCE!

#1 on the BAD GUY list - Frank Robinson. And not even because he wouldn't sign - I already knew that, I'd heard the stories - but his LAST year with the Nats, I was the ONLY person at the team hotel looking for autos - Zimm signed as well as others - and the Frank comes out. All I did was be courteous and yell out, "Hello Frank. How are you today?" (Notice, I did NOT ask for an AUTO) And do you know what the so called 'Dean of Discipline' did to me? Not only did he not even ackowledge me, he scowled at me and TURNED HIS BACK on me until his limo came. I'm sorry, but I'm a human being too and he is no better than any of us. What an @$$!!!! Again, I was the ONLY person there working the team that day!!!!

I'll tell more stories (Matty and Big Unit) later...

All the Best -

Chris

godwulf
01-28-2009, 09:03 AM
That story about Palmiero folding the cards in half kills me. What a dick!

On the other hand, I bought one of those big, team-issued equipment bags from a retired player, pitcher Bob Wolcott, a few years ago, and after the deal was complete I asked if it would be okay if I mailed him a few cards for autos, and he said, Sure. I think I sent four cards, but when I got them back, he'd added and signed a couple of others from his own stash, that I didn't have. I thought that was pretty cool.

cjclong
01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Guess we all have different experiences with players. In Texas all our experiences with Palmerio signing were good and he was very considerate. I had just wonan extra ticket for one of his signings which was ending and he was leaving. Someone got him and brought him back and he was very nice and since it was a ticket I had just won and was not in line he would have been justified in saying it was over and gone on his way. Of course we all know Ripken was great. I think the best I know of now is Hamilton. He signs often at the ballbark in Texas while others don't and seems genuinely interested in the fans. I don't know if this will last as he is starting to get mobbed.

allstarsplus
01-28-2009, 09:58 AM

#1 on the BAD GUY list - Frank Robinson. And not even because he wouldn't sign - I already knew that, I'd heard the stories - but his LAST year with the Nats, I was the ONLY person at the team hotel looking for autos - Zimm signed as well as others - and the Frank comes out. All I did was be courteous and yell out, "Hello Frank. How are you today?" (Notice, I did NOT ask for an AUTO) And do you know what the so called 'Dean of Discipline' did to me? Not only did he not even ackowledge me, he scowled at me and TURNED HIS BACK on me until his limo came. I'm sorry, but I'm a human being too and he is no better than any of us. What an @$$!!!! Again, I was the ONLY person there working the team that day!!!!

All the Best -

Chris

I did a Private Signing with Frank Robinson in the back room of the Chantilly Show in the Fall of 2006. Keep in mind, I am a paying customer. He shows up late and approaches my table then he walks away and grabs a person that works for the promoter and goes I'm not signing this stuff for a regular fee. See I had game used. I'm like fine, I paid a double premium fee and asked to write "game used" as an inscription which was the least he could do at the price I paid. Frank signs each piece and puts his HOF inscription on it and ignored what I asked him. Then he looked up and smiled as I took some pictures with one of my sons behind him.

Frank knew me from around the ballpark and we had taken pics together at the stadium before, and I had always liked him especially watching him as one of my favorite "Birds" back in the 60's and 70's.

I thought maybe it was the timing of the signing which was after the 2006 season when he was not re-signed by the Nationals. After he signed everything, he looks at the game used Nats items (jerseys & pants) and goes, you know they were supposed to pack up everything for me and I was supposed to get it all! He walked away with a pissed off look.

Then he and his lady friend got up and walked away.

After reading some of these comments, maybe he is like this all of the time. A shame as I know he can be a nice guy too! Kind of cool though getting his affirmation that I got his final Nats items from the 2006 season.

earlywynnfan
01-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Buck O'Neil yet. NOBODY was better to meet!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

OaklandAsFan
01-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Nolan Ryan (my #1 guy - see my board name)... I've met Nolan quite a few times, but last year at Spring Training in Surprise, AZ took the cake... if he is at the game, a line forms about the 5th inning and Nolan will sign one auto and do a photo with everyone in line after the game ends. Well, at the game I got him at there were some 'pros' working the line with CASES of OMLB balls asking every adult if their kids were all getting autos. If not, they were asking them to get a ball signed 'for their kid/niece/nephew'... anyway, after getting my CUSTOM Made Ryan Bat (I use to work for Rawlings and I hand turned this bat) auto'd, I went out near the practice fields where the players drive out and walked up to the closest point. When Nolan drove out, I held up my Ryan BP jersey and he smiled, waved and drove past. I wasn't mad - he'd already signed my Bat - but as he got to where the road curves, he realized I was the ONLY person out there, stopped, backed up while rolling down his window and waving me up. he signed not only my Jersey but my Mini-Mitt as well. ALWAYS a class act.

Another amazing guy was Mike Modano when the Stars are here in Denver. First time I met him it was raining/snowing at the hotel and when he came out he waved and siad in a few minutes - well, half the crowd left bitching that he was getting on the team bus and blowing us off. About 2 minutes after they left, he comes back around the bus - signs EVERYTHING anyone had, took pictures, chatted us all up and then he looks at his watch and says, "Hey guys - I have about 10 more minutes before the bus leaves. Does anyone have anything else they need signed or any other pictures?" Talk about a Goddwill Ambassador to your sport!

Other TOP guys that I have met and either gotten auto or picture or both:
Matt Holliday (I will have to write aanother paragraph about Matty), Juan Pierre, Luis Gonzalez, Jeff Bagwell, Sean Casey, Gabe Kapler, Don Mattingly, Vin Scully, Don Sutton, Doug Brocail, Sandy Alomar, Ron Gardenhire, Joe Mauer, Mark Grace, Tony Gwynn, Eric Young (Sr and Jr) and YES - EY Sr is a GREAT guy, Vinny Castilla, Taylor Buchholz, Clint Barmes, Aaron Miles and many others...

NOW, for my NAUGHTY List - with a few stories mixed in - Randy Johnson (almost got in a fight with him - another story), Eddie Murray, Kirk Gibson, Sammy Sosa, A-Fraud, Scotty Bowman (JERK!), Steroid Bonds, Austin Kearns and a few others, but my TOP TWO are:

Rafael Palmiero - 1st meet was 1990 card show in Dallas. $3 admission and Raffy AU. He was taking everyone's cards and folding them in half before he signed so 'no one would be selling his auto in the dealer room.' 2nd meet was at Surprise, AZ Rangers 1st Spring in AZ. My wife and I were the only ones on the rail at the time and he walked by and told us he'd be back - then he sat in the dugout alone for like 20 minutes and kept looking to see if we were there, then blew us off (for ONE card) - blew us off again later at the batting cages... 3rd time - Orioles are here for Interleague with the Rockies. ALL 3 days he would hide behind a pillar or ignore the few people that were there until his cab came and THEN have the audacity to looka t us and say, "I'd love to sign guys, but my cab is here now" like he couldn't see or hear us earlier. I noticed he became a ghost after his steroids issue came up - GOOD RIDDANCE!

All the Best -

Chris

Raffy has always been great for me while visiting Oakland. He gave me a bat a few days after hitting his 400th HR and I asked him to sign it and he said "when I get back out" as he was walking into the clubhouse. Of course I figured that was the typical ballplayer blowoff but sure enough when he came out right before the game I could tell he was looking for me over the visiting dugout and he waved at me and told me he would sign the bat now. I slid the bat and silver sharpie down and he not only shook the sharpie to make sure it was ready he also used his coffee cup to check and make sure it was writing really good before he signed the bat

Frank Robinson also you may have caught on a bad day or I just caught with a great story and entertained him. I had originally gotten Frank on the sweet spot of a OMLB when he managed the Expos. When they came to Oakland Ron Washington got it for me during BP. Well that (along with a ridiculous amount of other stuff) disappeared during my divorce (not even like half and half split, it literally disappeared, she stole it from a locked closet at our house and sold it and I never could find it) Well in 2007 during the Arizona Fall Leauge they had a Pat Tillman fundraiser and he was there. I initially asked him to sign a baseball and he told me no. I then pressed him a bit as we walked along the concourse in Phoenix Municipal Stadium and explained that I had his sig at one time and it was stolen by my ex wife. He then took the ball from me and signed it and told my current fiance to keep her hands off it if we broke up and then he laughed and then spent about 10 minutes playing with my son in his stroller before heading up to the offices at the park.

redoctober
01-30-2009, 04:21 AM
In my experience with notable players...

Best:

Sean Casey, Pete Rose, Tom Glavine, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Larkin, Don Sutton, Roy Oswalt, Adam Dunn, Mark Grace, Tony Gwynn, Dave Righetti, Greg Maddux, Billy Williams.

Worst:

Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr, Ken Griffey Sr, Mike Hampton, Larry Walker, Randy Johnson, Mike Piazza, Roger Clemens.

redoctober
01-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Mark Wohlers was a total ass as his career was doing a swirly here in Richmond.

Not a fair assessment of Wholers in my opinion... I got his sig many times in Cincy when he was attempting a "comeback". Was always GREAT to me.

redoctober
01-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Well I know from stories that Barry Bonds is a jerk, but now he may need to to paid signings to pay the bills:p Karma is so sweet. As an A's fan I know Nick Swisher was a GREAT signer and a fan favorite. I went to the occasional game a few years back and EVERY game he was signing and I got his auto. I also got Sammy Sosa when he was on the DL for the Rangers. Nice guy (from the bits and pieces I got of his Spanish.)

My experience with Sosa is interesting... in the heat of the '98 HR race (he was at 56 at the time), he gladly signed a bat for me beautifully and actually thanked me for my comment on a great season. One year later in '99, he refused to sign a ball for me, but went on to sign cards and lesser value items for the half-dozen others nearby. I eventually got an 8x10 signed at this time, but noticed that he also refused to sign a jersey. It was clear that he was avoiding anything of "value".

I wonder if his stance has now changed, as the last 10 years have been unkind to his popularity.

marcab
01-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Gotta defend Willie Mays. I drove from LA to San Diego just to get his sig at a show a few years ago, and when I showed up I was literally one of the only people in line. I bought my jersey, walked right up to him, he signed on one of the 4's on the back, and then asked my opinion of how the signature looked. I told him it looked great, but he disagreed, and so insisted that he sign the other 4, which to me, looked just as good as the first one.

Among my other best experiences: Joe DiMaggio was amazing, Raymond Berry though that was special circumstances

Worst: Mike Schmidt, Mike Piazza, Bob Uecker didn't seem thrilled when I approached him at spring training but he signed. I hear Hank Aaron is bad, though I didn't have a bad experience. Just met Reggie Jackson but didn't get sig, though he came off as a little standoffish

Am trying to think of more. I definitely usually have good experiences rather than bad ones

skyking26
01-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Gotta defend Willie Mays. I drove from LA to San Diego just to get his sig at a show a few years ago, and when I showed up I was literally one of the only people in line. I bought my jersey, walked right up to him, he signed on one of the 4's on the back, and then asked my opinion of how the signature looked. I told him it looked great, but he disagreed, and so insisted that he sign the other 4, which to me, looked just as good as the first one.

Among my other best experiences: Joe DiMaggio was amazing, Raymond Berry though that was special circumstances

Worst: Mike Schmidt, Mike Piazza, Bob Uecker didn't seem thrilled when I approached him at spring training but he signed. I hear Hank Aaron is bad, though I didn't have a bad experience. Just met Reggie Jackson but didn't get sig, though he came off as a little standoffish

Am trying to think of more. I definitely usually have good experiences rather than bad ones
Aaron was an a*s when I met him. Years back he did a show in MI and I attended. It was the 90's and well attended. He sat outside in a limo til beyond the start time watching college football while we all waited. Then when he came in he what not friendly at all. As I approached, I asked if he'd write 755 HR after his name. He sat there, reffered to his henchmen on either side and exclaimed, "I thought you guys informed these people I will only sign Hank Aaron, nothing else!!! (as if I was not there).

One work for Hank... J E R K.

geoff
01-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I go down early sometimes to Camden Yards as a Hobby when I go to Orioles Games and try to get autographs.Its fun for me and even get to talk with some Players and I alot of Fun doing this.I like Autographs but I don't go crazy like some people down there do.

Worst Signer I can think of this Year was BJ Upton.He even covered his face so nobody could take pics of him.He said another Time that he was not going to sign because the day before someone said something Racist to him.

Best Signer that I can think of was Nick Swisher.He was nice as can be and joking around about the Staff on the Players lot.He was happy to take a pic with me.

Huston Street was also very nice as I asked him inside the Park and he told me after BP.I said okay to him and I would be standing right here.As soon as BP was over he came right over to me and signed my Ball.I thought that was a nice thing to do as most say they will sign later or inside the Park and they never do.

nealdevelopment@yahoo.com
02-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Worst signer. TONY GWYNN.
He is a great guy until you hand him his own equiptment.
Then he cries like a baby. I almost had to call the police on him because he would not give me my (his) equiptment back.
Then after he verified it was a gamer he refused to write it because he did not want it to be more valuable. Not my fault you filed bankrupcy.
He signs fake stuff with a smile. What a jerk.

mvandor
02-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Worst signer. TONY GWYNN.
He is a great guy until you hand him his own equiptment.
Then he cries like a baby. I almost had to call the police on him because he would not give me my (his) equiptment back.
Then after he verified it was a gamer he refused to write it because he did not want it to be more valuable. Not my fault you filed bankrupcy.
He signs fake stuff with a smile. What a jerk.

Uh, the bankruptcy was 19 years ago. When did you have him sign this, what was it, and what was the basis for him giving you a hard time? I'm a San Diegan and this is the FIRST negative story about Gwynn I've EVER heard.

skyking26
02-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I go down early sometimes to Camden Yards as a Hobby when I go to Orioles Games and try to get autographs.Its fun for me and even get to talk with some Players and I alot of Fun doing this.I like Autographs but I don't go crazy like some people down there do.

Worst Signer I can think of this Year was BJ Upton.He even covered his face so nobody could take pics of him.He said another Time that he was not going to sign because the day before someone said something Racist to him.

Best Signer that I can think of was Nick Swisher.He was nice as can be and joking around about the Staff on the Players lot.He was happy to take a pic with me.

Huston Street was also very nice as I asked him inside the Park and he told me after BP.I said okay to him and I would be standing right here.As soon as BP was over he came right over to me and signed my Ball.I thought that was a nice thing to do as most say they will sign later or inside the Park and they never do.
Was at a Sox-Tigers game last year in Detroit. Swisher and another guy, name escapes me but I think his first name is Aramis? were GREAT. Big disappointments were Thome and Konerko. I was down with my 7 year old daughter from 1 hour before BP til end of game. Neither Thome nor Konerko came near anybody and went out of their way to avoid the VERY SMALL crowd...:(

xpress34
02-01-2009, 12:52 PM
In my experience with notable players...

Best:

Adam Dunn, Greg Maddux.

Worst:

Larry Walker.

Red -

My experiences with the above three are the only ones were they were different than yours....

Dunn has blown off everyone here in Denver since his rookie year... I even mentioned to him once about having been born in Waco, TX as well (his hometown) and he made some smart @$$ comment about it... Maddux was even worse here - in fact two years ago he called me and another guy over to his cab at the hotel, we each leaned in a window - I had a card the other guy had a ball - he looked at each piece, never said a word and then tapped the cabbie to drive off - while we were still leaned int he windows!!! JERK MOVE!

Walker on the other hand - at least in Denver and Spring Training has always been a class guy - in fact when he went to St Louis and then cam back to play the Rox, he stopped EVERY day out back and signed everything anyone had... my most amazing instance with him though was the day he was traded from the Rox - I wne tout back and caught him as he was leaving (he was the last guy I needed on a team ball that year)... he stopped and signed - and when i said Denver would miss him, he got all teared up - which made me tear up and the big lug gave me a bear hug before he drove off. YES, I had a cry with Larry Walker - and it was one of the most memorable MLB experiences I have had...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith19.jpg

My experience with Sosa is interesting... in the heat of the '98 HR race (he was at 56 at the time), he gladly signed a bat for me beautifully and actually thanked me for my comment on a great season. One year later in '99, he refused to sign a ball for me, but went on to sign cards and lesser value items for the half-dozen others nearby. I eventually got an 8x10 signed at this time, but noticed that he also refused to sign a jersey. It was clear that he was avoiding anything of "value".

I wonder if his stance has now changed, as the last 10 years have been unkind to his popularity.

Two years ago at Surprise during Spring Training when he was chasing 600 in comeback with the Rangers he was an @$$ (unless the cameras were on him - then he was all smile snad waving and signing)... we were down the line when he left the game on day and some people were yelling for them and he literally gave them the brush off with a wave of his arm - what a FRAUD - good when the press might catch him...

Worst: Bob Uecker didn't seem thrilled when I approached him at spring training but he signed.

Funny story here - but doesn't make Uke any better - he has blown me of for 6 years at the team hotel and the ballpark in Denver... always acts like he's put off by even being asked to sign - even when there is NO ONE there for the Brewers!!! Last year, I took my catchers mitt (Gold Glove Model with about 50 MLB Catchers on it) and again at the hotel he blew me off - but at the game (Sunday's at Coors Field are Auto days) I get to go down behind home plate (I have a 20% disabilty through the VA)... Uke is in the Brewers dugout interviewing Ned Yost. Everyone is yelling at Uke and I hold up my Mitt again. Uke doesnt come over - he taps Ned Yost and makes Yost come and ask for my mitt. Ned takes it back to the dugout, Uke signs it and then makes Ned bring it back to me! That's some power when an ANNOUNCER can make a MANAGER do his bidding...

Uh, the bankruptcy was 19 years ago. When did you have him sign this, what was it, and what was the basis for him giving you a hard time? I'm a San Diegan and this is the FIRST negative story about Gwynn I've EVER heard.

I agree with you here... we go down to Colorado Springs to watch SD State play Air Force when they are here and Gwynn has always been great about Autos there... no matter how many people or how many things they have... teh ONLY grief he ever gave me (and it made sense) was when I asked about a picture with him (I was wearing my AF Hoodie) and Tony said, "Are you trying to trick me? You're wearing the wrong team." I said that's cool, but after 12 years of service in the USAF I have to support my guys. Tony asked me , "So you served in the military?" When I said yes, he told me he respected the hell out of that and took the photo with me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith13.jpg

spartakid
02-01-2009, 12:53 PM

I agree, I went to the all-star fanfest in San Francisco and he was there signing. We waited in line for like 3 hours, but it was worth it. I got to get Juan Marichal, Rollie Fingers, and Tony Gwynn. Tony was the nicest of them all he actually thanked us for standing in line so long just to get his and the other's signatures. Granted I had him sign a baseball, but he couldn't have been further from mean, in fact we was the nicest of all 3 people I got to meet. Ricardo

Tedw9
02-01-2009, 12:59 PM
I have not had the good fortune of being able to get too many autographs without paying, but I have met a couple of good guys.

Adam Vinatieri was by far the nicest guy I met. I met him 3 times after games and he stayed and signed for everybody before he left. The last time was a brutal cold night, but he still stayed. I missed him at the players entrance, but he stopped on the way out in his truck to sign my jersey. One news story I read was talking about the Pats flying home after a playoff game. They mentioned in the article that Adam was still there long after every other player left because he wanted to sign for everyone. He is just a very genuine nice guy who truly cares about his fans.

Another of my favorites is Bob Feller because of the stories he tells while you are in line. I could listen to him talk all day, he has the best stories! :D

A few months ago I met Jonathan Papelbon who was friendly to me and really made a point to talk to me. It was a nice change from other players I met who didn't even look at me. He also came across as someone who cares about his fans.

And on the topic of Tony Gwynn, he was at the same signing as Jonathan. I was waiting for my number to be called for Yogi Berra and noticed Tony was just sitting there chatting with a handler with no one in line. I just walked up and started talking with him and shook his hand. I'm a big fan of his and he seemed to be cool to me. Maybe the other poster caught him on a bad day?

spartakid
02-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I've noticed Nick Swisher's name come up in a few posts. I know when he played for Oakland he was the best singner that I've ever seen, as well as a great person. I think I've said this before but to my recollection, he signed at EVERY game I went to. He was always smiling and happy to be there. He was one person that hadn't let the being a pro athlete get to his head. Great guy, and we miss him here in Oakland, I'll be interested to see if this changes in New York. Ricardo

xpress34
02-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Other GREAT Signers (for me at least):

Nolan Ryan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith26.jpg

Dontrelle Willis

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith23.jpg

Matt Holliday ( That is the ORIGINAL Oil Painting of his 2005 Diamond Kings Card!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith21.jpg

Todd Helton

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith14.jpg

Mark Grace

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith12.jpg

Troy Tulowitzki

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith10.jpg

Tracy Ringolsby aka 'The Cowboy' (HOF 2006 - Writer for the Rox... used to cover the Rangers, the Angels, many teams. Multiple BBWA Award winner.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith6.jpg

Vin Scully

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/VinMe1.jpg

Josh Hamilton - very humble and nice guy....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/DSC00873.jpg

godwulf
02-01-2009, 02:21 PM
xpress34....

Just curious...you appear to own a lot of jerseys, and generally seem to be wearing whichever one would make you appear to be a fan of the team with which the player you're looking to get close to is associated. So...do you have all 30 teams in your closet, on standby, or what? :D

yanks12025
02-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Todd helton aint even looking at the camera. And is that Matt Holliday's kid in the back seat.

frikativ54
02-01-2009, 04:34 PM
[quote=xpress34;121147]Other GREAT Signers (for me at least):

Nolan Ryan

Matt Holliday ( That is the ORIGINAL Oil Painting of his 2005 Diamond Kings Card!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith21.jpg

Where did you get that original oil painting? I would really like a Bagwell. Please email me at lazukor@gmail.com; I would be curious to know how you purchased that.

xpress34
02-01-2009, 04:46 PM
xpress34....

Just curious...you appear to own a lot of jerseys, and generally seem to be wearing whichever one would make you appear to be a fan of the team with which the player you're looking to get close to is associated. So...do you have all 30 teams in your closet, on standby, or what? :D

GW -

YEARS of experience showed me that some players tend to sign easier if you are wearing team colors... so NO, I don't own all 30 teams jerseys, but I am aware of what colors or hat I am wearing when I do go to the team hotel... another thing I try to do is make myself familair with the player/players I am seeking for my collection other than just their baseball career (i.e. family, hometown, etc.) as it seems to break the ice with some guys if you can talk to them about something other than last night's HR or pitching performance or whatever...

I have some friends who call me a 'pro' autograph seeker - and I'm fine with that as long as they don't confuse me with the PROS who only do it for profit - you know, the guy who has one 8x10 and when the player approaches, it becomes TEN 8 x10's and then the player doesn't sign for anyone else...

As far as Jerseys, I do have Rangers, Rockies, D-Backs and Marlins in MLB and Stars and AVs as far as NHL goes... most of my Rockies Jerseys are GU.

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
02-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Todd helton aint even looking at the camera. And is that Matt Holliday's kid in the back seat.

Yanks -

Someone said something to Todd just as the picture was being taken... and YES, the is Matt's kid in the backseat - we were out back of Coors Field after a day game... what's really funny is you can't see Matt's hands in the photo.

I say that because Matt and I had talked about this piece and he said bring it down and he would sign it... the day I brought it down was the day he slid head first into 2nd and broke his pinkie. One hand is in a finger splint and bandaged up! I told him we could do it later but he said no and signed anyway - actually one of the cleanest most legible Hollidays I have in my collection!

- Chris

xpress34
02-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Where did you get that original oil painting? I would really like a Bagwell. Please email me at lazukor@gmail.com; I would be curious to know how you purchased that.

Les -

I bought it on eBay a few years back. After Donruss lost their MLB license, they auctioned a TON of stuff off from their Vault.

You could write Donruss and ask if they know the disposition of Bagwell's piece.

I know that the Pujols sold for around $1,600, Helton went for about $800 and quite a few went unsold...

The Holliday has a good story as I was watching it and I outbid the only other bidder by $2.50... I won this piece for $152.50 because Matt had not yet become a Superstar...

When I told Matt I had won the piece and was waiting for it to come in so he could sign the matte, one of his friends said something about me being the guy that outbid Matt's dad! It really had me feeling a little down.

Well, the day I took it down, I asked Matt if his dad was really upset and he told me his dad wasn't upset, but was more PO'd at himself that he didn't bid more... then Matt just starts laughing and tells me that actually it wasn't his dad, but it was his agent (before Boras) who I had outbid - and Matt was upset with him because he was going to give the painting to his parents.

But, Matt said since he knew I owned his 1st MLB Jersey (from Spring 2000 - #84) he was happy that the piece was in the hands of a true collector and fan. That made me feel a whole lot better.

Since then, Matt has signed anything I have had for him including any inscriptions I wished including: 2006 All Star Hat w/ '1st AS Game 2006' inscription, 2007 Gold Band 'MoneyBall' from AS HR Derby w/ '1st HR Derby 2007' inscription and his 2007 GU WS hat w/ '1st WS Game Used' Inscription.

- Chris

frikativ54
02-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Les -

I bought it on eBay a few years back. After Donruss lost their MLB license, they auctioned a TON of stuff off from their Vault.

You could write Donruss and ask if they know the disposition of Bagwell's piece.

I know that the Pujols sold for around $1,600, Helton went for about $800 and quite a few went unsold...

The Holliday has a good story as I was watching it and I outbid the only other bidder by $2.50... I won this piece for $152.50 because Matt had not yet become a Superstar...

When I told Matt I had won the piece and was waiting for it to come in so he could sign the matte, one of his friends said something about me being the guy that outbid Matt's dad! It really had me feeling a little down.

Well, the day I took it down, I asked Matt if his dad was really upset and he told me his dad wasn't upset, but was more PO'd at himself that he didn't bid more... then Matt just starts laughing and tells me that actually it wasn't his dad, but it was his agent (before Boras) who I had outbid - and Matt was upset with him because he was going to give the painting to his parents.

But, Matt said since he knew I owned his 1st MLB Jersey (from Spring 2000 - #84) he was happy that the piece was in the hands of a true collector and fan. That made me feel a whole lot better.

Since then, Matt has signed anything I have had for him including any inscriptions I wished including: 2006 All Star Hat w/ '1st AS Game 2006' inscription, 2007 Gold Band 'MoneyBall' from AS HR Derby w/ '1st HR Derby 2007' inscription and his 2007 GU WS hat w/ '1st WS Game Used' Inscription.

- Chris

Cool story - sounds like you are a true fan. Do you have any good contacts at Donruss or a general address where I could write?

-Les

xpress34
02-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Cool story - sounds like you are a true fan. Do you have any good contacts at Donruss or a general address where I could write?

-Les

Les -

http://www.donruss.com/

Address Phone Number Donruss Playoff L.P.
2300 E Randol Mill Rd
Arlington, TX 76011 (800) 852-8833
(817) 983-0300 ContactPhone Number Customer Support(817) 983-0203

02-02-2009, 06:40 PM
MVandor. Unfortunatly your having trouble with someone who has had numerous bad experiences with Gwynn. Like the other guy says about S Sosa hes a great guy until it comes time to have him sign something that is of value. His "real stuff" Get over it. This thread is about good and bad experiences. Tony Gwynn was a real downer.

mvandor
02-02-2009, 06:58 PM
MVandor. Unfortunatly your having trouble with someone who has had numerous bad experiences with Gwynn. Like the other guy says about S Sosa hes a great guy until it comes time to have him sign something that is of value. His "real stuff" Get over it. This thread is about good and bad experiences. Tony Gwynn was a real downer.

Your story appears to be the exception, everyone else says Gwynn is just a happy guy, hardly ever down or negative or surly. And very down to earth.

skyking26
02-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Your story appears to be the exception, everyone else says Gwynn is just a happy guy, hardly ever down or negative or surly. And very down to earth.
Alot of ball players have a bad day, just like anyone else. Perhaps Mike caught Gwynn on one of those. I myself have been known to have a few bad days...per my wife anyway. I see myself as 24 hour joy.

Mr.3000
02-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Alot of ball players have a bad day, just like anyone else. Perhaps Mike caught Gwynn on one of those. I myself have been known to have a few bad days...per my wife anyway. I see myself as 24 hour joy.

lol Too funny.

02-02-2009, 08:30 PM
MVandor,
This post is for people who had a bad experience with a signer for everybody to hear. Can't i tell people about my bad experiences without you throwing in your two cents. I had a bad experience, ok?
You almost remind me of when i was with tony at the signings.

gingi79
02-02-2009, 09:01 PM
In person, I hated going to ask players for autographs at games because I was always ignored. Part of the reason I hate the Mets and love my Braves is because I grew up going to Shea in the 80's. 86-90 Mets were rude to a little kid just asking for an autograph on their baseball card. This included my all time favorite exchange:

"Excuse me, Mr. Dykstra? Can you please sign my card?
(which he ignored. Strawberry says to him, "That kid with the Mets hat is asking for your autograph. He responds:)
"Who cares what that brat wants."

Dale Murphy however took the time to talk to me about baseball when I was wearing a Mets hat and my Little League shirt. He also signed in a visiting ballpark for people who rooted against him. I wore #3 in baseball for years after this exchange.

To be fair, David Wright signs all the time. I have serious respect for him. Kids, adults don't matter. Talks baseball and signs autographs. Classy guy.

I'll echo Ripken sentiments. I once saw him 3 hours after an Angels game still signing. Seriously, not even rookies do that!

At shows I have met and been overwhelmed by the kindness of:

Dan Marino: (This was as he was deciding if he would go to the Vikes or retire. I told him "It doesn't matter if you never play again, you'll always be the greatest Quarterback ever." He retired a month later. I take the credit HA!)

Barry Sanders: An obvious newbie to the "show scene" For those of you who don't know, when you buy tix for the NJ Triumph Sports show, the earlier you buy dictates the order you meet the athlete. So if you buy your ticket the day of the show, you're the last person to get an autograph. Similarly, if you pre-order 6 months in advance, you get first crack. Each ticket has a number. Well I wanted Barry's autograph since I saw him play live in Giants Stadium in 1991. I pre-ordered. I was number 45 out almost 500 for deluxe signatures (they charge more for jerseys than photos) It took 2 hours of standing on line to get up to him. I realized why when I finally got my turn. Barry spoke to everyone. Not just a few words, he held a conversation. I told him he should come back and play on just Thanksgivings because Turkey always tastes better when he was breaking the ankles of any poor CB who tried to tackle him. He was really appreciative of my support. Just to put it in perspective, Joe Montana was on 300-350 when I got off line and he started an hour later than Barry. Not digging Joe, he's a veteran of these things and the line keeps moving with him. Barry as a rookie, was still amazed so many people paid $150 for his signature that he still felt obligated to talk to all of us. On a side note, I left 6 hours later and Barry was still signing, 4 hours after his contract expired.

Jerry Rice: Just like Barry, big smile, told stories, took pictures, shook my hand like we were college roomates and thanked me for my support with sincerity.

Zack Thomas/Ricky Williams: Both sweet guys, took time to talk and answer questions. Ricky has a bad rep but he's a really cool guy one on one. Zach looks small on TV, he's a bull up close. Jason Taylor same thing. Looks almost skinny out there on TV but huge shoulders.

I realize I may have to part with a gamer now and then but my Sanders, Marino and Rice will be handed down to my kids.

xpress34
02-03-2009, 12:27 AM

Not jumping on the bandwagon here or anything, but in your original post, you only mention ONE bad experience - witha GU piece of equipment.

If you have had multiple bad experiences, maybe you should lay them all out like I did about my various experiences the Rafael Palmiero. Other people had great experiences with him , but I had multiple bad ones and I listed them all.

Just my observation and .02 here.

- Chris

Mr.3000
02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
In person, I hated going to ask players for autographs at games because I was always ignored. Part of the reason I hate the Mets and love my Braves is because I grew up going to Shea in the 80's. 86-90 Mets were rude to a little kid just asking for an autograph on their baseball card. This included my all time favorite exchange:

"Excuse me, Mr. Dykstra? Can you please sign my card?
(which he ignored. Strawberry says to him, "That kid with the Mets hat is asking for your autograph. He responds:)
"Who cares what that brat wants."

That is so funny that you told that story....funny because nearly the same EXACT thing happened to me with Dykstra when I was a kid.

It was my birthday 1987. My oldest sister took me to a Mets game for my present. All I wanted the entire game was to see one player up close and maybe get my Mets yearbook signed. We had nosebleed seats. I mean seriously, we had binoculars lol

After the game I rushed all the way down to the field level and another fan swapped tickets with me so that I could get into the field level...by now nearly everyone was gone (guess I wasn't as fast as I thought I was lol). I make it to right up to the wall and there I see Roger McDowell and Dykstra ...from what I recall they were carrying equipment I believe....and I say "Mr. Dykstra could you please sign my yearbook?"

He replies, "Get lost kid. Games over, go home."

McDowell turns to him and says, "It's one kid, just sign it for him".

Dykstra says to him...and I quote...."---- that kid."

McDowell looks up (by now they're next to the dugout) and says, "Sorry kid, I tried."

Ever since that day, 22 years ago, I can't stand Dykstra and I wouldn't take his signature if he offered it to me for free. I should have gotten Rogers sig. but what did I know, I was a silly 12 yr old that loved hitters and fielders. I wasn't much of a fan of pitchers lol Looking back now.....McDowell was the winning pitcher too (3 Aug, 1987).

frikativ54
02-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Ever since that day, 22 years ago, I can't stand Dykstra and I wouldn't take his signature if he offered it to me for free. I should have gotten Rogers sig. but what did I know, I was a silly 12 yr old that loved hitters and fielders. I wasn't much of a fan of pitchers lol Looking back now.....McDowell was the winning pitcher too (3 Aug, 1987).

Sorry guys, about your experiences with Dykstra. Only thing I remember about him was nickname and that conspicuous wad of chew. But isn't it interesting how most of us can remember the date of our first really rude encounter with a pro athlete? It will turn us off an athlete for life.

Rob L
02-03-2009, 11:14 PM
The greatest signer I ever saw was Benjie Molina. Used to see him every year at the Angels Spring Training and he would sign for everyone. Saw this happen at least 4 years in a row. That was always cool to see.

dcrules01
02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
That is so funny that you told that story....funny because nearly the same EXACT thing happened to me with Dykstra when I was a kid.

It was my birthday 1987. My oldest sister took me to a Mets game for my present. All I wanted the entire game was to see one player up close and maybe get my Mets yearbook signed. We had nosebleed seats. I mean seriously, we had binoculars lol

After the game I rushed all the way down to the field level and another fan swapped tickets with me so that I could get into the field level...by now nearly everyone was gone (guess I wasn't as fast as I thought I was lol). I make it to right up to the wall and there I see Roger McDowell and Dykstra ...from what I recall they were carrying equipment I believe....and I say "Mr. Dykstra could you please sign my yearbook?"

He replies, "Get lost kid. Games over, go home."

McDowell turns to him and says, "It's one kid, just sign it for him".

Dykstra says to him...and I quote...."---- that kid."

McDowell looks up (by now they're next to the dugout) and says, "Sorry kid, I tried."

I went to a show a few years ago and met Dykstra Backman and Ventura...Dykstra was nice as can be chated with me for about 10 minutes complimented me on the jersey I had signed an 86 Dykstra Mitchell and Ness..Backman was a little cold signed my jersey in black sharpie so on the reccomandation of a few guys that were there with me I went back up and he resigned it in Silver and was a lot happier the 2nd time around and even added 86 World Champs..
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/elsid005.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/elsid001.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/elsid004.jpg

metsbats
02-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Dykstra was never a pleasant signer. The first time I got his autograph was at a show in NYC (being sponsored by Mr. Mint Alan Rosen back in the late eighties). Dykstra signed with his head down and didn't even look up to see who he was signing for. He looked like he didn't even want to be there.

Here's an interesting story from the book The Bad Guys Won on one of those occassions he did look up...

"Once, a bunch of Mets spent a couple of hours at a collectibles show in New Jersey. Dykstra signed hundreds of items, rarely glancing up from beneath his sunglasses. Near the end of the session a Roseanne Barr look-alike handed him a baseball. Dykstra snapped. "Lady", he said, "you are too f***** fat for me to sign this thing for you!" Security was called in to escort Dykstra to his car."

whirl
02-04-2009, 09:23 PM
I saw Joe Namath at a show in Kansas City some years ago. He was absolutely super. He smiled; chatted with everyone; and even let several people wear his Super Bowl ring. I told him I got some mileage out of bearing a passing resemblance to him while I was in college (he doesn't have too many years on me), and he laughed and said he hoped it didn't get me in too much trouble. I also had the opportunity to see Mickey Mantle during his playing days in the early 60's. There was always at least one day during his trips to Kansas City where he took some time at the hotel to sign for all of us kids. After his retirement I got to see him at several shows around the Midwest, and I was never disappointed at the way he treated people.

dcrules01
02-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Dykstra was never a pleasant signer. The first time I got his autograph was at a show in NYC (being sponsored by Mr. Mint Alan Rosen back in the late eighties). Dykstra signed with his head down and didn't even look up to see who he was signing for. He looked like he didn't even want to be there.

Here's an interesting story from the book The Bad Guys Won on one of those occassions he did look up...

"Once, a bunch of Mets spent a couple of hours at a collectibles show in New Jersey. Dykstra signed hundreds of items, rarely glancing up from beneath his sunglasses. Near the end of the session a Roseanne Barr look-alike handed him a baseball. Dykstra snapped. "Lady", he said, "you are too f***** fat for me to sign this thing for you!" Security was called in to escort Dykstra to his car."

I read that book...I was 15 in 86 and him and Backman were my favorites so I am thankful my encounter was good.His exact phrase when I showed him the jersey was bitchin jersey dude where did you get it...I told him where and he asked me what pen to use and added the incriptions Nails and World Series Champs taking his time..I told him I always liked his style and he thanked me for supporting him..I guess I was one of the lucky ones..That poor lady ..

Capital-Sports
02-04-2009, 10:52 PM
My Marine Corps years led to many great meetings....Jeter was ALWAYS great in Tampa's Legends Field, and so was Jason Varitek at Tropicana....Two of the best! JOHN WOODEN is by far probably one of the GREATEST signers EVER!

murfsteve25
02-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I'd say best signer I'VE ever encountered was Andruw Jones. I went to a Reds/Braves game in 2005 and my goal was to get my first AJ autograph. Durying BP he came over and signed for many people. He didnt sign mine on the sweetspot(i forgot to ask) so after the game i went to the team hotel and got him to sign again, this time on the SS. The next series that the Braves came back to Cincy, I bought a Jones jersey that I wanted singed. Again, at the hotel I found him in the bar. I went up to him and asked him to sign it. Smooth as butter.

cordovacollector
03-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Best By Far: Harmon Killebrew ! Each signature is perfect, clean, ledgible ... every time! And he will smile and talk to you like you're best friends all the while he is signing.

cordovacollector
03-29-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Buck O'Neil yet. NOBODY was better to meet!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Amen to Buck O'Neil! And Buck Leonard, Mudcat Grant, and Larry Doby. They'd all sign ... and then tell you stories! Priceless!

stretch
03-30-2009, 11:36 PM
I'd say best signer I'VE ever encountered was Andruw Jones. I went to a Reds/Braves game in 2005 and my goal was to get my first AJ autograph. Durying BP he came over and signed for many people. He didnt sign mine on the sweetspot(i forgot to ask) so after the game i went to the team hotel and got him to sign again, this time on the SS. The next series that the Braves came back to Cincy, I bought a Jones jersey that I wanted singed. Again, at the hotel I found him in the bar. I went up to him and asked him to sign it. Smooth as butter.

I'm amazed to hear this because I only management to get him one time at Turner Field. It was outside after he pulled into the parking lot and he was normally the last one to arrive. He signed just the "AJ" and I didn't waste a good MLB ball on it when I noticed. I did get a good signature from him when he signed at Publix for a fanfest. I never felt he treated the Atlanta fans very well when it came to signing.

coxfan
03-31-2009, 06:40 AM
We also had a good experience with Andruw Jones, when the Braves visited Vero beach in 2005 Spring Training. He pulled up a portable chair and told the throngs approachng him that he'd try to get to everyone. When signing for my wife, he pleasantly interacted with her and was sure to sign under the " Braves" on the ball we were using.

But he ran out of time ( practice and the game-time were pressing) and couldn't get everyone. That led to someone at the back of the line cursing him loudly enough for him to hear. People like that can turn off athletes to signing.

NEFAN
03-31-2009, 07:19 PM
2000 at the NFL Hall of Fame induction. I paid 100 to get the five inductees signatures. The Autograph session was the morning after the incuction ceremonies. Dan Rooney (Steelers Owner) decided not to show up so he could attend a preseason game 12 hours later. (I think he was pissed when everybody left the ceremony after Montana's Speech) So that ruined the five inductee's on one item. Joe Montana was talking on the phone for 45 minutes while signing(I have pics somewhere). He wouldn't even look at the person he was signing for let alone speak to them! On the other hand, Lott, Long and Webster were very friendly.

FastLane80
03-31-2009, 08:07 PM
On the other hand, Lott, Long and Webster were very friendly.I too can vouch for Lott and Long. Howie even held the elevator in the hotel to sign. That same night, I also met Jim Otto and Fred Belitnikoff and both were very pleasant to me and my dad and were very patient signing.

NEFAN
04-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Found it! The employee held the item and Joe ignored the fan and just signed. This lasted for 45 minutes. He was off the phone when I got there but I was so disgusted I didn't speak to him.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2457787340047607594uGmIZL]http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/74/74/7/87/34/2457787340047607594uGmIZL_th.jpg[/url]

godwulf
04-01-2009, 11:59 AM
I had to laugh when I read about Montana and the phone thing. Miguel Batista did a signing at a local bookstore here in Phoenix a few years ago, after he became a free agent and left the DBacks - I think he ended up going back to Toronto - and in addition to getting copies of his novel signed, I brought along my 2001 Opening Day base for him to add his sig to. Anyway, Miguel is usually a very personable and friendly guy - he used to flirt with my teenaged daughter all the time, which my wife thought was cute till she found out he was almost thirty - but this time he was on the phone throughout most of the signing, and he explained why he would be ahead of time, while he was answering questions about his book and doing a reading from it: he was on the phone with his agent, trying to figure out where he was going to be playing the next season. Given the circumstances, everyone understood and there were no hard feelings. :D