PDA

View Full Version : Steelers GU jersey help - does this look legit?

flack5150
01-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi, new here and could use your opinion on this jersey. I bought this about 8 years ago at a retail sports shop, and the owner says he received this jersey from a friend that received this directly from Rod Woodson, and is supposedly "game worn". But from reading through some other posts and looking at other pictures of gamers.....I am now sceptical if this is legit. The owner supplied a COA that offers 150% money back if not legit and I may go marching back to collect on it if so.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric

designedexclusively
01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Are there any markings or repairs to the shirt? Have you tried to style or photomatch to the year pertaining to the coa that you recieved?

Retail starter durene's and gamers are cut differenly, you should look at some authentic gamers are style match it.

DX.

flack5150
01-25-2009, 02:04 PM
there are no repair marks that I can find. It is dirty and appears to be worn, or at least not washed.

can you recommend a good place to find pics of gamers? can they be found on here? Do you know if there should be any other tags to help identify?

There's an identical kevin Greene jersey on ebay right now and it's listed as being the real deal/authentic. http://cgi.ebay.com/Kevin-Greene-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Game-Used-Jersey-91_W0QQitemZ270333757084QQihZ017QQcategoryZ86829QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cohibasmoker
01-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Shouldn't there be a year tag (swatch) sewn onto the jersey?

Jim

hrvatwill
01-25-2009, 03:45 PM
It is my strong opinion that the jersey is not game used.

Steeler nameplates should be tightly cropped around the name while this one extends well beyond the W and N on each side as is common with retail jerseys. Also, the size tag should be next to the exclusivity tag in the tail and not in the collar and as already pointed out, the year swatch is missing.

I believe this to be one of the jerseys sold in the old stadium's Pro Shop. Unfortunately, many of these have been magically transformed into gamers and sold on ebay, including in my opinion, the Kevin Greene jersey currently listed.

Not only is the tagging incorrect for the Greene jersey, but the fit is also completely wrong for Greene, who wore extra long jerseys that fit his body quite snuggly while with the Steelers. In addition, while in Pittsburgh, he wore a size 50 while the jersey being offered is a size 52.

I have written to the seller, pointing out these issues and asking that the auction description be modified, which unfortunately, has yet to occur.

There is a GUU member, RKGIBSON, who knows Greene quite well and has opined on some of his items in the past, perhaps he can provide some additional context here.

camarokids
01-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Getty Images has one pic of Woodson in his Steelers uniform dated , oct 23, 1994....

Unfortunately does not show the name plate....

b.heagy
01-25-2009, 05:01 PM
It's a retail - A high end retail. Very good quality jersey. I have a Kevin Greene just like it.

flack5150
01-25-2009, 08:13 PM
thanks for your feedback everyone. so, now that it sounds unanimously not a gamer. :( .. And to think I was going to get it customed framed this month (why the long wait? you wonder) I didn't know who to ask about it's authenticity, and just stumbled onto this website last week.
Just curious, does anyone know what the value is for one of these jersey's? I guess I'll need to decide whether to trek back to the shop I purchased or just frame it anyway. It is a real cool jersey.

otismalibu
01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Just curious, does anyone know what the value is for one of these jersey's?

On eBay, I'd say $150-250 range depending on the day.

Also depends on the description ;)

flack5150
01-26-2009, 12:26 PM
thanks again everyone. I spoke to the owner of the hobby shop, who swears that he got the jersey from a trusted source, and wants some kind of documentation stating that its not a gamer. He said something from PSA/DNA or GAI, but do they even authenticate jerseys? Does anyone know a professional service or leader in the field that would provide documentation? My COA states 150% refund if proven unauthentic, so I'm dealing with a good sum of money.

b.heagy
01-26-2009, 12:30 PM
MEARS. www.mearsonline.com

b.heagy
01-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the jersey?

hrvatwill
01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Ah yes, the ubiquitous trusted source, also known as the impeccable source. He/she certainly gets it wrong a lot, especially when it comes to Steelers jerseys.

flack5150
01-26-2009, 04:45 PM
I'll disclose the price I paid once I get this resolved.....I'll keep that as my own personal anquish for now.

Go Steelers
06-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Hello, I am a heavy collector in Real Steelers Game used/worn jerseys. The jersey pictured here is not a Game Issued, Team Issued, Game Worn jersey, It is a commercially sold jersey, 1995 manufactured jersey made in the same quality and material as the real team issued jersey's with exception to the areas I will point out below.

Steelers Starter 1992-1996 game/team issued jerseys do not have collar tags, They have a Ripon Athletic Tag and Laundering Tag sewn side by side on the inside right side lower seam area of the jersey.

Steelers 1996 game jersey's (same style & position sleeve emblems as this jersey, one on each sleeve, above all sleeve stripes) will have a 96 year swatch sewn on the right side and jersey size tag sewn on the left side of the Starter Mfg Tag on the bottom left front.

Steelers 1996 game jersey's sleeves are hemmed in at the outside center, from the center of the shoulder area down to the center end of the cuff. The excess material is sewn together from the inside with a single stich from top to bottom, this runs right down the center of the Starter Sleeve emblem wich is sewn on over this hemed area.

Steelers 1996 Game jersey's length is 37-39 inches long.

Steelers 1996 Game jersey's Name tapes are closely cropped to the name.

Rod Woodson wore a Size 46 Starter jersey from 1992-1996.

Steelers 1992-1996 Game jerseys are the same as my comments above, only minor change in Starter Tag on front of jersey (larger style 1992-1993 with a larger S-Star and team name ) and Starter sleeve emblem was on center Right side only, large Gold Sleeve stripe on most players jersey's 1992-1995, occasiaonally only on left sleeve large center gold stripe. 1996 Starter sleeve emblem was on both sleeves above all sleeve stripes.

I have several real Steelers Team Issued (Not worn in a game) & Team Issued Game Worn jerseys including a Home 1996 Rod Woodson Game Worn.

I will be glad to provide pictures.

hrvatwill
06-26-2009, 07:11 PM
@ Go Steelers,

By all means, please post pictures of the real game worn jerseys that you have in your collection. Thanks!

b.heagy
06-26-2009, 07:21 PM
+1 - Big Steelers fan. Would love to see some pics of your collection.

orioles03
06-26-2009, 07:30 PM
go ravens

Go Steelers
06-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Steelers 1992 and 1995 Team/Game issued jersey pics. 1992-1993 Starter also made commercial jerseys, same quality & construction as game jerseys without earlier listed differences, they used the same 1992 Starter Mfg Tag with the exception of it being a smaller tag than the actual Game/Team Issued jerseys.

Go Steelers
06-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Steelers Starter Game/Team Issued (1996 ONLY) jersey. This one is an actual GAME WORN Rod Woodson from his 1996 Season.

Go Steelers
06-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Some more information for novice collectors on Steelers Jersey's:

1) Photo match jerseys using Game Photos (Getty Images great resource www.gettyimages.com (http://www.gettyimages.com)), Steelers Team Yearbooks (Remember the pictures for that years yearbook are from the previous 1 or 2 seasons (Example: 1996 yearbook has 1995 and some 1994 pictures of players).

STUDY photo closeup details on: sleeves, shoulders, collars, patches, nametapes, numbers, Mfg tagging (when jersey is pulled out of pants), jersey length, placement of numbers, size of numbers, placement of name tape - letters, style and size of letters, etc.

2) 1987 - 2000 (MacGregor Sandknit, Starter & Nike jerseys) Most Steelers game/team issued jerseys have shortened sleeves, either hemmed up or cuffed shorter, normally excluding the lowest sleeve stripe. QB, Kicker, Punter usually left sleeves full length and open cuffed from 1987 - 2000.

3) Look at the way the shoulder material is sewn in. MacGregor Sand Knit also made commercial jerseys in the 1980s, the jersey lengths, jersey tagging and way the shoulder areas are made help seperate the real jerseys from the authentics.

There are a few other small but telling items about real Steelers Game Worn Team Issued jerseys that will be kept in private to prevent those crooks who take quality commercially sold jerseys and fake them into looking like real gamers to rip off honest collectors. JERSEY LENGTH IS A GREAT INDICATOR of a commercially made jersey as apposed to a true Game/Team issued jersey.

DO YOUR REASEARCH, DONT GET BURNED. GOOD LUCK COLLECTING.