PDA

View Full Version : Whats everyones favorite bat manufactuer?

Capital-Sports
01-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Whats everyones favorite bat manufactuer and why? Is is the logo? The history? Im interested in hearing everyones opinions.

Im a fan of Rawlings gamers. Love the color coded rings and the font used with the player and team name. The unfinished ones are absolutely stunning!

thrush29
01-25-2009, 07:49 AM
IMO,
Louisville Slugger / HB is my favorite for the history attached to all of the dif. model numbers as well as the history of the company and besides how can you beat a bat company that used to make M1 carbine rifle stocks during WW II. The company is a True American Classic that screams red white and blue!

The old Batrite (Hanna) from Athens Ga tied for second, again for the history and because I love the town.

Dave

earlywynnfan
01-25-2009, 09:38 AM
About 8-10 years ago, there was a small bat company called Reaper Bats, with the coolest logo ever: a Grim Reaper! The guy who made them was MLB approved, and had some good minor leaguers who used his bats, but I don't think any ever made the majors.

I've never seen one for sale.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

chicagoglen
01-25-2009, 10:20 AM
By favorite is LS because of the history and I love the old centerbrand logo. I also like the bat logo on Sam bats.

shoremen44
01-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Hillerich and Bradsby.... Louisville Slugger all the way

brianborsch
01-25-2009, 11:03 AM
LVS all the way...........

Capital-Sports
01-25-2009, 11:28 AM
ken, i think your referring to this company : http://www.reaperbat.com

spartakid
01-25-2009, 11:42 AM
I know every one's already said it, but I love LVS for the history behind it, and I also think the two-tone x-bats are awesome.

mr.miracle
01-25-2009, 01:45 PM
ken, i think your referring to this company : http://www.reaperbat.com

I just emailed Bo the company founder/owner as I saw on this website some of the players currently using his bats. One of them is none other than Eddie Fuller who happens to play semi-pro independant league ball in my own backyard in York County Pennsylvania. Eddie is somewhat of a legend in the local area and Bo confirmed to me that this is the same guy. I had no idea that Eddie was using Reaper bats.

tigerdale
01-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Louisville slugger....the leader of the pack in my opinion!!

whatupyos
01-25-2009, 02:06 PM
My top two are Rawlings and Sam Bat. I like the natural looks of the wood and grain on both of the unfinished bats.

Aaron

dodgerbats
01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
THERE'S ONLY ONE BAT, AND THAT'S A LOUISVILLE SLUGGER! :D

I actually like them all, but this is my Absolute Fav! "Old School"

The old Barnstable FISH label is pretty cool too!

Mark

suicide_squeeze
01-25-2009, 03:15 PM
dodgerbats.......NICE COLLECTION!!!

Hollywood Park often has the infamous Dodger World Champion infield do signings, you REALLY need to get Garvey to sign that bat!

There is no comparison to a great vintage (or current) Louisville Slugger....the history of the bat is forever engraved in the sport we love, not to mention they are a thing of beauty!!!

suicide_squeeze
01-25-2009, 03:18 PM
dodgerbats......the Davey Lopes too....get it signed!!

Those 4 guys are 4 of the most friendly, gracious sigers you will ever meet. Garvey, Cey, Russell and Lopes.....the all time greatest in L.A. history. They shake hands, joke around, pose for pictures.....the best in the collecting experience.

dodgerbats
01-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Thank you Buddy! I appreciate it!

My only problem is that I live up in the Seattle area and NEVER get to go to any of those signings!

BUT, I did just meet Tommy Lasorda two nights ago! I'm still in Dodger Bue Heaven!

Mark

suicide_squeeze
01-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Thank you Buddy! I appreciate it!

My only problem is that I live up in the Seattle area and NEVER get to go to any of those signings!

BUT, I did just meet Tommy Lasorda two nights ago! I'm still in Dodger Bue Heaven!

Mark

Nice! My wife and I met him last year AT DODGER STADIUM while we were negotiating a VERY special deal........but that's another story on another thread....

Listen, In the short time I've been on this GUU site, I have already met some exceptionally nice collectors who have helped me (or are in the process of helping me) obtain items I probably would have suffered through many more years of trying to find. So I feel I need to give back and help anyone I can as a friendly gesture to my fellow collectors who share my passion.

I go to almost every Hollywood Park signing.....2 a year.....and have met many Stars there: Frank Robinson, Johnny Bench, the Dodger championship infield mentioned earlier, Adrien Beltre (seeing you live in Seattle), Jerry West, Steve Sax, Dennis Eckersley, Kurt Gibson, Eric Gagne.....tons more. I would be more than willing to get those two signed for you in the event they are to appear at a signing? Of course, you would have to send your bats to me, tell me where and in what color sharpie you would like them to sign (on the bat sweet spot, I'm certain!), and work out all of the details (like TRUST in me....LOL), but let me know, Mark. I'd do you right, as I am one of the most particular collectors myself, so I wouldn't let it go wrong. And as I said before, Garvy and Lopes are two nice people, they'd do it right!

You can contact me if interested at suicide_squeeze@roadrunner.com if interested.

Take care,

Steve P.S.-Let me know if you ever want to sell that bat collection!!!;)

dodgerbats
01-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Thank you Steve! I appreciate it!

Mark

Nice! My wife and I met him last year AT DODGER STADIUM while we were negotiating a VERY special deal........but that's another story on another thread....

Listen, In the short time I've been on this GUU site, I have already met some exceptionally nice collectors who have helped me (or are in the process of helping me) obtain items I probably would have suffered through many more years of trying to find. So I feel I need to give back and help anyone I can as a friendly gesture to my fellow collectors who share my passion.

I go to almost every Hollywood Park signing.....2 a year.....and have met many Stars there: Frank Robinson, Johnny Bench, the Dodger championship infield mentioned earlier, Adrien Beltre (seeing you live in Seattle), Jerry West, Steve Sax, Dennis Eckersley, Kurt Gibson, Eric Gagne.....tons more. I would be more than willing to get those two signed for you in the event they are to appear at a signing? Of course, you would have to send your bats to me, tell me where and in what color sharpie you would like them to sign (on the bat sweet spot, I'm certain!), and work out all of the details (like TRUST in me....LOL), but let me know, Mark. I'd do you right, as I am one of the most particular collectors myself, so I wouldn't let it go wrong. And as I said before, Garvy and Lopes are two nice people, they'd do it right!

You can contact me if interested at suicide_squeeze@roadrunner.com if interested.

Take care,

Steve P.S.-Let me know if you ever want to sell that bat collection!!!;)

MSpecht
01-25-2009, 05:04 PM
IMO,
Louisville Slugger / HB is my favorite ... and besides how can you beat a bat company that used to make M1 carbine rifle stocks during WW II.

Dave

From the WORTH History 1912-2008:

"1979

Tennessee State prison guards are armed with Tennessee Thumper bats to quell summer prison riots."Mike jackitout7@aol.com

metsbats
01-25-2009, 10:06 PM
THERE'S ONLY ONE BAT, AND THAT'S A LOUISVILLE SLUGGER! :D

I actually like them all, but this is my Absolute Fav! "Old School"

The old Barnstable FISH label is pretty cool too!

Mark

Nice collection of old label HBs Dodgerbats!

Nothing like an old HB label gamer! Nothing beats an American original.

IMHO there are too many bat companies these days which will only lead to the faster depletion of our trees.

allstarsplus
01-25-2009, 10:43 PM
My top two are Rawlings and Sam Bat. I like the natural looks of the wood and grain on both of the unfinished bats.

Aaron

Totally agree with you. I especially like the Rawlings unfinished where you can see those lathe striations and all the info you can get on a SAM bat such as date, batch, etc.

I also like LVS Maple bats and the fact that on all of their bats they still can brand in the team names while their competitors don't. ;)

spartakid
01-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Don't Sams have team names on them?

marinersbaseballfan21
01-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Definitly Louisville Slugger with the history, Old Hickory's pretty cool too. I wish they put the dates on the knobs, but it sounds like they're going to have to this year.

suave1477
01-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Welll I would break it down like this

Young Bat Co. I love they way there logo is made on an Ash bat - Stained wood inside the logo and the logo itself deep burned/etched into the wood.

LVS - for the history and love the vintage look of the logo

But more then actual manufacturer I love the bats the players get that are double dipped - extra shiny
(Lack of the actual name, that they call the process)

59FIFTY
01-26-2009, 02:31 AM
Welll I would break it down like this

Young Bat Co. I love they way there logo is made on an Ash bat - Stained wood inside the logo and the logo itself deep burned/etched into the wood.

LVS - for the history and love the vintage look of the logo

But more then actual manufacturer I love the bats the players get that are double dipped - extra shiny
(Lack of the actual name, that they call the process)
Smith Finish?

kylehess10
01-26-2009, 03:04 AM
This is a toughy....

mine would have to be Marucci...especially the model Edgar Renteria used with the Braves....maroon handle/black barrel/gold lettering.

allstarsplus
01-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Don't Sams have team names on them?

Maybe BMH can answer this, but my understanding for 2009 and the latter part of 2008 only LVS has the MLB authorization to brand team names on the bat.

I agree that I saw team names on SAM's too but were told by another bat rep that they weren't supposed to be doing that. :confused:

cjclong
01-26-2009, 10:50 AM
One more vote for Louisville Slugger. When I first began following baseball in the 1960's it was THE bat of most players. From Babe Ruth to the present it has been used by a lot of Super Stars and it has a great appearance.

corsairs22
01-26-2009, 11:03 PM
My favorite is the Louisville Slugger (the earlier the better), with an old Spalding, Kren Special, and Louisville Bat Co. Mascot getting the honorable mentions.

chakes89
01-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Maybe BMH can answer this, but my understanding for 2009 and the latter part of 2008 only LVS has the MLB authorization to brand team names on the bat.

I agree that I saw team names on SAM's too but were told by another bat rep that they weren't supposed to be doing that. :confused:
I have a Royce Clayton SAM bat that has Washington Nationals in gold lettering

jetersbatboy
01-26-2009, 11:11 PM
I like the sleek look of a black triple dipped Mizuno Bat.

allstarsplus
01-26-2009, 11:12 PM
I have a Royce Clayton SAM bat that has Washington Nationals in gold lettering

Chris - That's a 2006 SAM bat.

My understanding for 2009 and the latter part of 2008 only LVS has the MLB authorization to brand team names on the bat.

I am talking 2008 that I was told that SAM didn't have the contract any more to put the team names on the bats that only LVS can do it. My info could be wrong.

BMH, or anybody else have any info on SAM and the team name issue????

chakes89
01-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I knew what year it was from

allstarsplus
01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
I knew what year it was from

My point is I wasn't questioning years prior to 2008. No prob. ;)

BoneRubbedBat
01-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Draper & Maynard with the spotted dog logo.

chakes89
01-27-2009, 12:28 AM
My point is I wasn't questioning years prior to 2008. No prob. ;)
I misunderstood your original post

My Bad

BMH
01-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Chris - That's a 2006 SAM bat.

I am talking 2008 that I was told that SAM didn't have the contract any more to put the team names on the bats that only LVS can do it. My info could be wrong.

BMH, or anybody else have any info on SAM and the team name issue????

Technically, SAM isn't "allowed" to put team names on bats or any other company for that matter. A lot of the times, other companies will do it and are eventually caught by MLB. MLB doesn't like it since these companies aren't paying royalties for the right to do so. As the official bat of MLB we have the ability to use the team names...believe me, we pay for it.

We are currently working with MLB on putting a new logo between the brands to celebrate our 125th anniversary this year. You may see them on some player's models and not others. We are going to ask each player if they want it on their bat. Some are very particular about thier bats and may not want it.

GarkoCollector
01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Brian,
Can you check your PM please.
Tom

allstarsplus
01-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Technically, SAM isn't "allowed" to put team names on bats or any other company for that matter. A lot of the times, other companies will do it and are eventually caught by MLB. MLB doesn't like it since these companies aren't paying royalties for the right to do so. As the official bat of MLB we have the ability to use the team names...believe me, we pay for it.

We are currently working with MLB on putting a new logo between the brands to celebrate our 125th anniversary this year. You may see them on some player's models and not others. We are going to ask each player if they want it on their bat. Some are very particular about thier bats and may not want it.

Brian - Thanks for the clarification and setting the record straight. What year did it officially change as I guess it has been a few years now since Rawlings changed from TEAM NAME to "PRO"

BMH
01-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I honestly don't know...I'll have to ask. I wasn't here when we became the official bat of MLB.
I've got some down time at the moment since this snow storm has killed my production today. So I'll show you all some new things with our bats this year.

First the knob. We've added the date, length and weight. The one pictured is a BPAS and has the model number instead of the weight. We do that because we keep the bats in racks and it makes it easier to find the model we're looking for. We're still up in the air on putting the player's number on bats. We have so many to do and the process now is still slow. We can upgrade the laser but that's a $14,000 upgrade that's not in my budget this year.

Here's a pick of the infamous paint dot that will be on all Maple bats in the MLB and MiLB. This will allow inspectors to tell if the bat was inspected at the manufacturing site and allows the inspector to guage the bat himself.

shoremen44
01-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Brian,
Nicely done... very clean

suave1477
01-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Love The New Bat Brian!!

Sluggo
01-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Louisville Slugger.

Great History. Great Facility. Great Reps. A big part in bringing their community back. And the product too... :D Nothing like a late '80s black/foil C271 or natural unfinished R161 imho.

Kid4hof03
01-27-2009, 12:46 PM
The majority of what I collect is from late 70's through 1996 becasue of that I love the Adirondack/Rawlings bats because of the year codes.

Nnunnari
01-31-2009, 10:56 PM
I love bats from the '80's and 90's. L.S., Rawlings, Cooper, Worth, and Mizuno are all great.
My favorites are non-maple Louisvilles, unfinished Rawlings and two-toned Coopers. I'm not sure why Cooper's don't get more love, I think they're great looking bats and were very popular among the players.