PDA

View Full Version : Dumb questions

JasonBanz
01-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Just trying to figure out some of the terminology for game used items. I feel dumb because I never really bothered to ask until now. What is the cowl? And what does it mean when there is "piling" on the jersey? Thanks! Insults are welcome too :o

suicide_squeeze
01-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Just trying to figure out some of the terminology for game used items. I feel dumb because I never really bothered to ask until now. What is the cowl? And what does it mean when there is "piling" on the jersey? Thanks! Insults are welcome too :o

No problem Jason, that's why we're here.....to answer dumb questions, and help educate eachother.....especially dummies like yourself....:D

A "cowl" is a large farm animal that got loose in the locker room after the sporting event, and while trampling through the players area, ended up with a towel covering the portion under the tail.

"Piling" is a phenomenon that ripples the jersey material and numbers/letters from the performance enhancing "pills" taken in mass quantities by the player. During the course of active play, the by-products of these pills seeps out of the pores with the sweat.

And hopefully, one of the legit members here can supply you with real answers, as your questions are not dumb at all.;)

jppopma
01-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Jason,

These are legit questions, especially when things have so many names that are used to them. I'm sure other's may have different takes on these definitions.

Cowl; Is commonly used the describe the neckline. When you look for a definition, it shows that it litterally mean a hood (like in a monk's outfit). It also refers to draped neckline in women's garmets...possibly the 1900's big colar style?

Pilling; Is basically this little dingballs of fabric where they rub against eachother. As for a fancy defiinition; Pilling is an characteristic of any man-made fibers. Fabrics containing fibers such as acrylic, nylon, or polyester have a tendency to pill. Abrasion from normal wear and cleaning causes the fibers to unravel and the loose ends ball up on the fabric surface. Natural fibers like cotton, linen, or wool may also pill at times, but the balls of fibers are usually removed during laundering.

I will also add puckering to your list of definitions for new members....

Puckering; The small folds and wrinkles in sewn fabric, also the bubble like waves that form as a result of wear and washings.

Hope this helps.

JasonBanz
01-23-2009, 11:12 PM
No problem Jason, that's why we're here.....to answer dumb questions, and help educate eachother.....especially dummies like yourself....:D

A "cowl" is a large farm animal that got loose in the locker room after the sporting event, and while trampling through the players area, ended up with a towel covering the portion under the tail.

"Piling" is a phenomenon that ripples the jersey material and numbers/letters from the performance enhancing "pills" taken in mass quantities by the player. During the course of active play, the by-products of these pills seeps out of the pores with the sweat.

And hopefully, one of the legit members here can supply you with real answers, as your questions are not dumb at all.;)

Thanks for the comic relief, I don't feel so dumb now!

JasonBanz
01-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Jason,

These are legit questions, especially when things have so many names that are used to them. I'm sure other's may have different takes on these definitions.

Cowl; Is commonly used the describe the neckline. When you look for a definition, it shows that it litterally mean a hood (like in a monk's outfit). It also refers to draped neckline in women's garmets...possibly the 1900's big colar style?

Pilling; Is basically this little dingballs of fabric where they rub against eachother. As for a fancy defiinition; Pilling is an characteristic of any man-made fibers. Fabrics containing fibers such as acrylic, nylon, or polyester have a tendency to pill. Abrasion from normal wear and cleaning causes the fibers to unravel and the loose ends ball up on the fabric surface. Natural fibers like cotton, linen, or wool may also pill at times, but the balls of fibers are usually removed during laundering.

I will also add puckering to your list of definitions for new members....

Puckering; The small folds and wrinkles in sewn fabric, also the bubble like waves that form as a result of wear and washings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! This helped alot. Thanks for the puckering also. I forgot to add that to my list. This helped alot! If you can think of any more terms please let me know!

David
01-24-2009, 04:33 AM
I grew up in Dairyland Wisconsin, and a cowlick was circular 70 pound chunck of salt on a metal stake left in the field for the cows to lick. You'd sometimes see deer licking them as well. Evidently dairy cows needed (and liked) the salt.

metsbats
01-24-2009, 09:06 AM
So just to be clear, this type of cowl is not the one we are referring to on this forum:D