PDA

View Full Version : Are Jerseys Getting Like Baseball Card Companies????

suave1477
01-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Here is an interesting thought.

I was reading the article someone else posted about the New Texas Rangers Jerseys and after reading it, it brought up a thought that has played before in my head and was wondering what you guys think???

Now Baseball card companies started off with one regular set of cards and/or possibly a subset/s.
But it is way out of hand now when they have 1 main set and like 20 variation sets. It just saturates the market which has created me to lose interest alltogether for collecting cards.

With that being said after reading the Rangers article.

Is having alternates all that great???
Sure they look pretty cool!!

And I do not mind the teams wearing an alternate once in a long blue, possibly for a holiday or a special occassion.

But do we really need all the ones they have??

Home Jersey
Road Jersey
Sunday Jerseys
Alternate Home Jersey
Alternate Road Jersey
Throwback Jerseys
BP Home Jersey
BP Road Jersey

I mean the reality is it just ends up saturating the market with more and more Jerseys.

As pleasing to the eye as it is, I am sure the ball clubs are considering the instant gratification of sales of them once they are worn.

The Yankees have not once changed there Jerseys in many many many years and they do fine.

Why does everyone else need so many alternates? Again I do like alternates but no where near as many as whats out there.

Perfect example - The Mets Jerseys Home and road I have always liked.
But I can't stand there alternate white and black.

DO WE REALLY NEED HOME AND ROAD BP JERSEYS????

TNTtoys
01-23-2009, 04:20 PM
I agree with you on the ridiculous number of alternate jerseys... On one given season, the Mets would have 5 game jerseys (home pinstripe, home alternate white, home alternate black, road gray and road alternate black) & a BP. Some years have a turn back the clock jersey... more years than not, there is a Negro League Tribute jersey... there is even a random St. Patrick's Day jersey thrown in. 2008 was no exception with the Civil Rights jersey worn during 1 spring training game. I won't even get into the whole "Los Mets" thing which was just a white alternate with a miniature "Los" patch applied after many games use.

Thankfully after all of that, we have just 1 BP. The Yankees have 2!!!

GarkoCollector
01-23-2009, 04:48 PM
But it is way out of hand now when they have 1 main set and like 20 variation sets.

What about 1 regular set and 10 variations?
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk301/GarkoCollector/2006/GarkoFinestCollection.jpg