PDA

View Full Version : O.T:Brother says McGwire used steroids

dodgersfan
01-22-2009, 02:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3851381

Do you think he will ever get in the HOF?

Rudy

skyking26
01-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Ouch. Somehow I don't believe Mac will get back with his brother just yet......

Vintagedeputy
01-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Interesting story, but I dont need Mac's brother's book to tell me what I already know. :)

allstarsplus
01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Ouch. Somehow I don't believe Mac will get back with his brother just yet......

It's interesting because these claims fill in some time elements from a brother that had some knowledge. So if 1994 was the 1st year he used steroids and obviously didn't use them that long as he switched to the over the counter legal Andro and Creatine in 1998.

Mac's rookie year record of 49 HRs is untainted and possibly everything through 1993 and possibly everything from 1998 on so the questionable years were 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997.

I am still of the opinion that if you could buy it legally at GNC in your local shopping center, like Andro and Creatine, then you cannot be punished for that.

Now I would like to see Mark come clean with what he was doing and then see what he really could have done without steroids.

Keep in mind that if a player hit 30 HRs with steroids, he maybe could have hit 20 without steroids.

If you ever met Mark or his brother Dan (don't know Jay) in the early 90's they are both huge men.

Mark was hitting HRs back in High School and USC and early in his career before even Canseco accused him.

Mark, come clean, and let's get you into the HOF!

Interesting story, but I dont need Mac's brother's book to tell me what I already know.

Jim - This could be why no publisher is buying it as it is a short story and Peter Gammons just summarized it. lol

whatupyos
01-22-2009, 04:01 PM
It's interesting because these claims fill in some time elements from a brother that had some knowledge. So if 1994 was the 1st year he used steroids and obviously didn't use them that long as he switched to the over the counter legal Andro and Creatine in 1998.

Mac's rookie year record of 49 HRs is untainted and possibly everything through 1993 and possibly everything from 1998 on so the questionable years were 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997.

I am still of the opinion that if you could buy it legally at GNC in your local shopping center, like Andro and Creatine, then you cannot be punished for that.

Now I would like to see Mark come clean with what he was doing and then see what he really could have done without steroids.

Keep in mind that if a player hit 30 HRs with steroids, he maybe could have hit 20 without steroids.

If you ever met Mark or his brother Dan (don't know Jay) in the early 90's they are both huge men.

Mark was hitting HRs back in High School and USC and early in his career before even Canseco accused him.

Jim - This could be why no publisher is buying it as it is a short story and Peter Gammons just summarized it. lol

Good points. I mean GNC sells the Andro, I have known people who have taken it and its a fair supplement. I know its outlawed in the game currently but if you but it at a health store, certainly you can't punish for it. Although I never met Jay, I know he used to work at a Copeland's Sporting goods store back in the mid 90's. I was there Christmas shopping with my family when I was in about 7th grade and knew he worked in the weightlifting department as he was an amateur bodybuilder. I did a double take when I walked by the golf part of the store and saw my boyhood hero hitting golf balls into a simulated screen. It was Mark. I walked over and when he was done, I briefly got to talk to him. I told him we missed him and how I hoped he recovered quickly as he was out with plantar fasciaitis (sp?). He was gracious as he always is. It was auite fun for me at 13 to see my favorite ball played and have him be courteous outside of the ballpark on his own time. Just wish I had a camera with me.

I'm a firm believer in treating family with respect. I don't care if you don't get along with them. Blood is thicker than water. You need to keep family private in my opinion.

Aaron

skyking26
01-22-2009, 06:11 PM

I agree with you. McGwire's best advice would be to take LaRussa's and come clean. You did it or you did not. I truely believe the correct approach and a re-entry into BB as a coach will get him to the Hall eventually. Staying mum will keep him right where he is: declining votes by the year...

Mark was always a great HR hitter. His first hit as a little leaguer was a HR over the fence. His numbers may have been closer to Kingman's without steroid aid.

whatupyos
01-22-2009, 06:39 PM
I know there are a lot of opinions on Mark's 2005 testimony. To be honest, what can you do? He took the advise of his lawyers and said what they advised him. I think you have to trust in your lawyers. I work for an attorney and although I have studied the law and know it more than the average bear, I still would take whatever advise I was advised to say. Its easy to sit back and say he should have talked if he did do it, or he should say x, y and z. But in all fairness, he did what he was advised. Ask yourself, what would you do in his situation. As I get older in life, I realize things aren't always as they seem. Like Mark said, if a player says no, he's not believed, if he says yes, he risks enless government investigations. Maybe there is more than one would realize? He's a guy who doesn't like the limelight too much and his privacy. Just ask yourself, what would you do?

Aaron

skyking26
01-22-2009, 06:41 PM
I know there are a lot of opinions on Mark's 2005 testimony. To be honest, what can you do? He took the advise of his lawyers and said what they advised him. I think you have to trust in your lawyers. I work for an attorney and although I have studied the law and know it more than the average bear, I still would take whatever advise I was advised to say. Its easy to sit back and say he should have talked if he did do it, or he should say x, y and z. But in all fairness, he did what he was advised. Ask yourself, what would you do in his situation. As I get older in life, I realize things aren't always as they seem. Like Mark said, if a player says no, he's not believed, if he says yes, he risks enless government investigations. Maybe there is more than one would realize? He's a guy who doesn't like the limelight too much and his privacy. Just ask yourself, what would you do?

Aaron
I'd say I didn't or did, given the situation, but that is me.

suicide_squeeze
01-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I think when it is all said and done.......McGwire gets a pass and ends up in the Hall.

He is good for baseball, always a gentlemen, a class act. Always was.

The congressional hearing was tragic. Dismal for all involved. Enough said about that.

But here is my point.....

Mark gets NOTHING........NOTHING......if he doen't come clean.

Mark needs to understand....Us fans all loved him. 1998 was the greatest single year in baseball history in anyone's life who is 60 years old or younger (and maybe for thousands older than 60 too!). If a fan doesn't agree to that, then they're just fooling themselves. His battle with Sammy Sosa re-energized baseball into America's favorite past time again. And it's been hot ever since.

At this point in time, you can almost cut the feeling in the air with a knife: Baseball fans are essentially BEGGING Mark McGwire to set the record straight....just tell the tuth.

He would find a whirlwind of respect and a titalwave of forgiveness flow in his direction....and probably feel the weight of the world lifted from his shoulders. Human nature respects honesty.....the forgiveness WILL come, Mark.......and you will get your pass to the Hall. Just do it.

skyking26
01-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I think when it is all said and done.......McGwire gets a pass and ends up in the Hall.

He is good for baseball, always a gentlemen, a class act. Always was.

The congressional hearing was tragic. Dismal for all involved. Enough said about that.

But here is my point.....

Mark gets NOTHING........NOTHING......if he doen't come clean.

Mark needs to understand....Us fans all loved him. 1998 was the greatest single year in baseball history in anyone's life who is 60 years old or younger (and maybe for thousands older than 60 too!). If a fan doesn't agree to that, then they're just fooling themselves. His battle with Sammy Sosa re-energized baseball into America's favorite past time again. And it's been hot ever since.

At this point in time, you can almost cut the feeling in the air with a knife: Baseball fans are essentially BEGGING Mark McGwire to set the record straight....just tell the tuth.

He would find a whirlwind of respect and a titalwave of forgiveness flow in his direction....and probably feel the weight of the world lifted from his shoulders. Human nature respects honesty.....the forgiveness WILL come, Mark.......and you will get your pass to the Hall. Just do it.
Could not have said it better Sue.

allstarsplus
01-24-2009, 10:46 AM
It was a thrill for me to meet Mark many years ago and to talk to him and what I found was a guy who didn't crave the limelight. He is not a self-promoter rather he let his bat do the talking. He could have signed some big memorabilia deals in 1998 and didn't.

He probably has many regrets, and most people do. Now his brother is going to try to use many secrets for the sake of easy money in his pocket. A shame.

I think you are right that he took the advice of his attorney while he didn't seek the advice of a Public Relations firm, but that seems to be Mark.

Luckily he didn't pull a Palmeiro so I don't think he has any "cover-ups" or back tracking rather more just a come clean like Andy Petitte did in a very simple statement and then we can get him in the HOF.

Mark, call me, I can help!

whatupyos
01-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Good statement Andrew. I look at it like this. If he did do steriods, and I know everyone has their theories, but I never saw him do it, so I'm not going to accuse him, but say he did do them as an example. At least he didn't lie about it. America is a forgiving bunch. I hope this will all pass in time. I also hope this will put more Mac memorabilia out there as I'd love a game used jersey of Mark with awesome provanence like a 1990 World Series jersey or a 2001 Cards gamer.

Aaron

70to66
01-24-2009, 04:21 PM
I will never forget the 1998 season that is why my id is 70to66. Really I don't think Mac cares if he gets in or not, he did not seem to like all the attention the chase brought him in 1998 and this debate will follow him the rest of his life.
70to66

BaseballGM
01-24-2009, 04:32 PM
The only way McGwire ever gets into the Hall of Fame is by purchasing a ticket. No chance.

mr.miracle
01-24-2009, 04:54 PM
The only way McGwire ever gets into the Hall of Fame is by purchasing a ticket. No chance.

One thing you can I think definitively say, is never, ever say never. There are a number of writers that think given time he might get in. Heck, a number of the ESPN writers continue to vote for him and Peter Gammons just said in an interview this week that he thinks given time, there will be enough support to get McGwire in the Hall.

My question for those that say he is not qualified for the HOF no matter whether he took steroids or not, what would have qualified him? He has 583 homers, would 600 have done it 625, 650? What is the magic number that absent 3000 or more hits 1600 or more RBI's etc., what would be that magic homer number that would put him in if there was absolutely no reason to think he had ever taken steroids? I am convinced that Mark would have reached at least 625 homers probably more if he would have played another season or two despite the mounting injuries. He never cared about those numbers yet what would be enough to put him in Cooperstown for those that say he is a one trick pony and 583 is not enough?