PDA

View Full Version : Worst butchering of Mark McGwire's name... ever.

TNTtoys
01-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Enjoy... just don't try to pronounce.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320334441713&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D320334441713%2509%26_fv i%3D1

frikativ54
01-21-2009, 11:50 PM
A simple email to the seller letting him/her know it's "McGwire" would suffice.

spartakid
01-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Les, you have to admit that's hilarious, who doesn't know Mark McGwire, he's one of the most widely known players, not to mention a ten second google search would tell you how to spell it. That's just laziness.:p

frikativ54
01-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Les, you have to admit that's hilarious, who doesn't know Mark McGwire, he's one of the most widely known players, not to mention a ten second google search would tell you how to spell it. That's just laziness.:p

What if the person's dyslexic? What if the person's expertise is in sewing? One of the biggest things people should learn is that not everyone follows the same things that you do; other people have other priorities. So - I wouldn't call that person lazy.

Bobby Jenks
01-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Reminds me of the time I saw an "Ihciro" Jersey.

whatupyos
01-22-2009, 12:06 AM
What if the person's dyslexic? What if the person's expertise is in sewing? One of the biggest things people should learn is that not everyone follows the same things that you do; other people have other priorities. So - I wouldn't call that person lazy.

Oh please!

TNTtoys
01-22-2009, 12:08 AM
A simple email to the seller letting him/her know it's "McGwire" would suffice.

Lighten up please. I am just having a little fun. I do not believe this seller for one minute has a disability. I think it's laziness... If you're selling sports jerseys, you should know Kordell Stewart has 2 L's not 1, Carmelo Anthony has 1 L, not 2, Emmitt Smith has 2 T's not 1. McGwire's spelling was just ridiculous. Have you never chuckled at an ebay listing before?

spartakid
01-22-2009, 12:10 AM

Well, I can't say for sure, but I don't think the person has a disbaility becuase the rest of the listing has no mistakes and includes well-written vocabulary. I just think that if I were selling something on ebay that I'm not an expert on, which I've done before, I would do some basic research for the title and discription. The person doesn't have to be incredibly knowledgable to do that much. If this person does indeed have a disability then this is understandable and no insult intended.

spartakid
01-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Reminds me of the time I saw an "Ihciro" Jersey.

That could just be a typo, it's not as butchered as that McGwire listing. BTW, I just asked my sister, who knows absolutely NOTHING about baseball or sports for that matter, to spell McGwire's las name and she did so correctly.

dcrules01
01-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Let's just say I have purchased a few authentic Emitt Smith jerseys or Emmit Smith jerseys over the years on ebay :D

dcrules01
01-22-2009, 02:44 AM
BTW it's Emmitt Smith also :)

Bobby Jenks
01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
That could just be a typo, it's not as butchered as that McGwire listing. BTW, I just asked my sister, who knows absolutely NOTHING about baseball or sports for that matter, to spell McGwire's las name and she did so correctly.
NO!! That was on the nameplate. Probably one of the error jerseys they sell for 50% price.

TNTtoys
01-22-2009, 11:22 AM
NO!! That was on the nameplate. Probably one of the error jerseys they sell for 50% price.

I have had a couple of error jerseys, but found out that there really is no market for them (like error cards) because anyone can go to the local customizer and ask for a purposely mispelled name on the back. FYI, I had a Seattle Mariners "GRIFFEFY" jersey (extra "F") and a Cardinals McGuire jersey (U instead of W). Neither sold for more than $50 to my recollection. This is probably going back a good 10 years or so.

I also get a laugh from ebay sellers that misspell the player's last name when it's right there on the actual jersey that they are selling and have just photographed. If that's not the epitome of laziness, I don't know what is.

TNTtoys
01-22-2009, 11:24 AM
BUT...for every rule, there is the exception. Imagine what this bad boy would sell for in an auction if it were to surface... (though rumor/legend has it that the club destroyed it after the game)

allstarsplus
01-22-2009, 11:41 AM
When I was trying to collect every Mark McGwire card and ticket stub from the 1998 season, I found some of the most common incorrect spellings of McGwire's name was Mark McQwire and Mark McGuire and Mark Maguire and Marc McGwire. Since these items often were bid on with the incorrect spelling, I wondered if people were finding these items by incorrectly putting the name in the "Search" function or purposely trying the other spellings as a strategy like I was.

I was putting together the Topps 70 HR set and the 70 HR ticket set so some of these would show up under the incorrect spellings and typically lower prices.

Just to test my theory today, look at all the items under McQwire and then think back to 1998 when there were 100's under this incorrect spelling:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=mcqwire&_sacat=See-All-Categories

metsmetsmets
01-22-2009, 11:43 AM
"MARK McGUIEW"

It's an uncorrected typo. Here's some of what probably happened:

The last "W" should be an "E". The "E" and "W" keys are adjacent on a QWERTY keyboard.

The next to last character --"E"-- should be an "R". Those two keys are also adjacent.

The "I" is correct insofar as it is the second from last character. (McGwire)

spartakid
01-22-2009, 06:32 PM

Oh, ok, I thought you were talking about an auction listing.

spartakid
01-22-2009, 06:32 PM
BUT...for every rule, there is the exception. Imagine what this bad boy would sell for in an auction if it were to surface... (though rumor/legend has it that the club destroyed it after the game)

Is that Chone Figgins' jersey?

ndevlin
01-22-2009, 06:57 PM
"MARK McGUIEW"

The last "W" should be an "E". The "E" and "W" keys are adjacent on a QWERTY keyboard.

The next to last character --"E"-- should be an "R". Those two keys are also adjacent.

Bingo! If the person listed the same spelling in the title as well, that would be one thing, but this was just a simple mistake. Really not a big deal and I really dont think its pathetic or lazy either.

metsmetsmets
01-22-2009, 07:23 PM
"MARK McGUIEW"

Bingo! If the person listed the same spelling in the title as well, that would be one thing, but this was just a simple mistake. Really not a big deal and I really dont think its pathetic or lazy either.

Yes, but now playing Devil's Advocate, the "U" in McGUIEW suggests that the ebay seller intended to write McGUIRE instead of McGWIRE.

ndevlin
01-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Perhaps, but the title is still correct.

allstarsplus
01-22-2009, 10:02 PM
http://shop.ebay.com/items/__mark-mcguire_W0QQLHQ5fIncludeSIFZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_fromfsbZQQ _trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em283

There are currently 219 listings under Mark McGuire. Amazing that 219 listings from sellers that own these items (unless some are consigned) that can't spell this man's name correctly.

Vintagedeputy
01-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Hey this ebay seller has come a long way in life.....

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2008/12/16/07/808-spelling.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

You guys just need to

http://www.tardsite.com/images/SOTPid.jpg

TNTtoys
01-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Perhaps, but the title is still correct.

When the original msg was posted, the title was the same as the description. Looks like it was corrected since (but the description was left alone). No biggie, was only meant for a chuckle.

TNTtoys
01-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Is that Chone Figgins' jersey?

Nope, that jersey was the claim to fame of Adam Riggs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Riggs

jppopma
01-23-2009, 02:31 AM
Andrew, Be careful posting that you got good deals on auctions that were posted with wrong spellings. Certain people on here will rake you over the coals for that. LOL. We really should all be able to laugh at the follies of names being spelled wrong or people selling jerseys that are way far off.

Les; Do you mean to imply by your dyslexia comment, that if someone posted a purple Astros jersey we should not laugh about it because maybe they are color blind? Come on, that would be funny....

dcrules01
01-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Here is an autographed Emmitt Smith football in the upcoming Hunt Auctions

Emmett Smith signed football. Wilson white panel football is signed by Smith on the side panel in black Sharpie. Signature rates 9 out of 10. Includes a NFL Auction COA from PSA/DNA: NM-MT

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Information/emmittsmith.jpg