PDA

View Full Version : My Interview with the Houston Gamblers Asst. Equipment Manager

commando
01-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi All,

I recently conducted an interview for my website, Houston-Gamblers.com. I had a great conversation with former Houston Gamblers Equipment Manager Albert Veytia, who is currently the equipment manager for Kansas State. He has also worked for the Kansas City Chiefs, UTEP, and several other teams.

Anyhow, Albert greatly increased my knowledge of Gamblers jerseys and how they were produced.... If anyone is a USFL fan, or wants to just read about the adventures of a professional equipment manager, check out the interview here:

http://houston-gamblers.com/id162.html

Lokee
01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed the interview. It gives some insight to a job that most overlook and don't really recognize.:)

drutter
01-21-2009, 11:16 PM
I live in El Paso and I remember Albert. Nice guy and nice job with the interview, I enjoyed it.

Doug

pietraynor
01-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Very interesting interview, thanks for sharing. Jay.

commando
01-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys... I would recommend any serious team GU collector try and contact current or past employees of the team for a short phone chat.... Most of these folks are very nice and are very happy to talk about things they did behind the scenes!

aeneas01
01-23-2009, 08:34 AM
great stuff! reminded me of another defunct league, the wfl, and an article came across many moons ago that discussed what the charlotte hornets did with their gear when they folded...

The Charlotte Observer
December 6, 1975
By Patrick O'Donnell

HORNETS GEAR SELLS FAST

During the regular football season - or what there was of it for the Charlotte Hornets - punter Robby Reynolds was issued two game jerseys. Thursday Reynolds paid $40 for the same two jerseys at a sale of Hornets equipment at the Charlottetown Mall and made a small dent in the defunct team's $222,714.37 debt.

"I guess I'll frame them if I can figure out a way to do it," said the 23-year-old former South Carolina player, as he he held up his two nearly new jerseys.

Reynolds was among hundreds of people who stood in line - some of them three or four hours - to buy Hornets helmets ($25), game jerseys ($20), practice jerseys ($5 to $10, depending on their condition), cleated shoes (again $5 to $1, depending on condition), and even genuine Hornets undershirts ($1).

"I'm going to make lamps out of these," said 22-year-old Jane Felz, a Hornets cheerleader, with a white helmet in each hand. Her lack of cheer was evident as she recalled the team's (and WFL's Oct. 22 collapse).
"It's a shame," she said. "I'll miss that team," she said as she plunked down $90 for the helmets and two game jerseys.

The helmets were the hottest selling items - 62 went in the first hour of the sale, which began at noon. Close behind were the jerseys, which were gone by 1:15 p.m.

Shoes moved slowly (which some say was a chronic Hornets problem). Apparently few Charlotteans needed big dirty shoes, with bristling plastic cleats.

But George Austin, who is 6-7 and works for Campbell's Soup Co., bought a pair of size 14's. When will he wear them? "When I shovel snow," said the grinning Charlottean as he scooped up armloads of jerseys for his family.
Hornets business manager Jon Anderson chain smoking unlighted cigarettes tried to promote the slow selling items.

"We've got lots of socks left" he yells to nobody in particular.

"These make great shorts, just cut them off", he said, trying to sell a pair of pants to a customer who really wanted one of the sold-out helmets.
The knicker-style, skin-clinging gold-with-black-side-strips game pants, at $20 were the real clunkers of the sale.

"I guess we might be able to sell them to a some high school or college team," said Anderson.

Anderson said he wouldn't know until today how much was raised by the sale, but he guessed it might be in the $4,000 range.

http://www.charlottehornetswfl.com/

commando
01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow Robert, that article is amazing. I know $25 was a decent amount of money in 1975, but still.... I shudder to think how many kids wore these helmets (and the other items) in street games -- or worse -- while participating in rock fights or target practice!

Where is this stuff today?????