PDA

View Full Version : Questions.

bostonsoxandy
01-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey guys! I'm new here and relatively new to collecting game used items. I am going down to Spring Training in Florida in March 19-24. Wondering since I have been reading over your post and have seen that you people are very good and VERY smart at this hobby.

Just wondering if you have any advice fro my trip, best ballparks to go to get autographs and game used items etc. Any advice about spring training is greatly appreciated!

Heres a few questions I have too:

1. How have you gotten your game used items (In person, auction, ebay)

2. Do I have a chance at getting some game used items during spring training? (Just for information purposes, I'm a 12 year old)

3. Does being 12 years old help my chances

4. How do I ask for a piece of their equipment?

5. Should I be persistent if they say no, or should i say thats ok

grenda12
01-21-2009, 08:32 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=5743

spartakid
01-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Well, I'm 15, so I would think that you still have that "young kid" appeal, I think I lost that a few years ago. Now I'm just an annoying teenager:p But I would think being younger helps your chance. I've never been to spring training, so I can't comment in that regard.

gannonknight85
01-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Andy,
This is a great post and I do not think justice was done to all of your questions by referring you to the post on obtaining game used stuff at ballparks, however do look at this thread as it is useful. When it comes to spring training it is a whole different world. I have been attending Major league games for over 20 years and finally got a chance to go to spring training last year in florida and the difference is huge. The biggest difference is the accessibility of players. At a big league park in the regular season it is very difficult to be in contact with players with few exceptions. At spring training you really get a chance to experience these big league heroes as people. It is an unreal experience. As far as getting game used stuff there, you have a much better chance, especially being so young. Although you may have goals of getting something game used expect not to so you are not disappointed, but do bring items to be autographed as you will have plenty opputunities for them. The best advice i can give is the same thing others have said over and over, use your manners, say please and thank you, and mean it. It is also helpful to do your research and know most players by at least number if not face and use it when asking for anything e.g. excuse me Mr. Griffey can you please sign for me....etc. As far as where to go, all the parks in Florida give you nice chances of meeting players, at games i found it easier to get the away team to sign. However games are not the best place for chances of meeting current players, this would be during away games go to the field for open practices which are normally free and have big name players as well as common players who are not playing that day. These players are much more likely to sign then and there are far fewer fans there competeing for the same player.However old -time players often show up to games as you can see by my signature picture of me with hall of fame pitcher Bob Feller I also recomend bringing a digital camera, there will be plenty of memorable moments as well as a great new item to have autographed, (by printing out 8x10's at wallgreens or anywhere you can print digital pictures). I hope this helped Andy and have a great time. If you have any more specific questions feel free to e-mail me and welcome to the forum.

stlcardsfan
01-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Andy

Im 17 but I started getting interested in game used stuff and autos maybe six years ago

If you do go to spring training, I am sure you will get plenty of autos (same at minor league games, AAA games are like auto heaven because some of those guys go to the majors in a year or two)

At spring training, ask players if they have a cracked bat they need to get rid of (I got a Jarrett Hoffpauir bat at AAA Memphis when I asked him while he was signing for me)

I also noticed it seems like more players sign for me now when I am 17 than when I was 12. Maybe because I have stuff like cards instead of getting everyone on the same ball like I did years ago, or maybe I was annoying.

Beware this hobby can get expensive, but look on ebay and even on here for cheap game used stuff. I look like once every two days for 30-45 minutes

spartakid
01-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Andy

Im 17 but I started getting interested in game used stuff and autos maybe six years ago

If you do go to spring training, I am sure you will get plenty of autos (same at minor league games, AAA games are like auto heaven because some of those guys go to the majors in a year or two)

At spring training, ask players if they have a cracked bat they need to get rid of (I got a Jarrett Hoffpauir bat at AAA Memphis when I asked him while he was signing for me)

I also noticed it seems like more players sign for me now when I am 17 than when I was 12. Maybe because I have stuff like cards instead of getting everyone on the same ball like I did years ago, or maybe I was annoying.

Beware this hobby can get expensive, but look on ebay and even on here for cheap game used stuff. I look like once every two days for 30-45 minutes

Like I said I'm 15, but I think it's a fine line. Teenagers have a rap for not being appreciative, but if you're sincere I think you'll stand out becuase I don't think there's many teenager or younger kids really interested in the hobby. Also, minor league games are great because the players still appreciate the fans, and they haven't gotten too good for us yet. Not saying all major leaguers are like this, but many are. Really a shame. Good luck at Spring Training Andy!

bostonsoxandy
01-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks For All the Advice! It's all very useful!

Bobby Jenks
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Like I said I'm 15, but I think it's a fine line. Teenagers have a rap for not being appreciative, but if you're sincere I think you'll stand out becuase I don't think there's many teenager or younger kids really interested in the hobby. Also, minor league games are great because the players still appreciate the fans, and they haven't gotten too good for us yet. Not saying all major leaguers are like this, but many are. Really a shame.
Good luck at Spring Training Andy!

That's correct, when Rocco Baldelli was in AA with the Biscuits I actually sat down with him before a game and talked to him like I knew him, not blowing his ego out of the room or anything. Then on get away day I had him sign a ball and told him "I hope to see you get better and play in Tampa this year". He actually turned the tables on me and said "I really appreciate that". Also don't ask or yell for a player, catch them as they come by. As a BB, yelling at a player will get you NAD, SQUAT, ZERO.

cjw
01-22-2009, 01:59 PM
I was able to take in few Spring Training games in Ft. Lauderdale a fews year back and the access in amzing.

My advice: get there early (bring water and sunscreen), find a good spot near the training areas, walkways to the clubhouses or parking lots, bide your time, be polite, learn the names and faces of the players and be sincere with your interest...and it should be a great experience for you.

I found that asking a question out of the norm to a ballplayer worked well to get their attention. A asked Griffey Jr. for example, were was the best steakhouse in Lauderdale..and he looked at me, smiled and actually gave me a few suggestions, while signing for me.

I spoke to Cal Ripken Jr. and takled about one of the charities that he and I both support....a nice conversation occured.

Chipper Jones....informed him he was about to back up on to a sprinkler head...he thanked me, side-stepped it and gave me his batting glove, when he passed me again.

chris