PDA

View Full Version : Joba Imposter?

schubert1970
01-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Charges filed against man who faked Joba’s autograph
A Toms River, N.J. man who bears a resemblance to Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain is facing charges of theft by deception and disorderly conduct for allegedly accepting free food and signing autographs under the guise that he is the Yankees pitcher.

Ryan Ward, 30, could face up to a year in jail if convicted. He’s charged with scamming a bagel shop out of free food last summer after allegedly telling an employee, “Do you know who I am?,’’ and pointing to a photo of Chamberlain in a newspaper. Police say he also signed autographs and promised women free Yankee tickets, and represented himself as Chamberlain in other businesses in Belmar and Spring Lake, and was banned from a few local bars because of it.

Ward has denied the charges, telling the Asbury Park Press, “You can’t have fun anymore, can you?’’ His attorney, Constantine Bardis, called the charges against Ward a “tragedy,” saying her client just “goofed around because he kind of looks like the guy.’’

Ward’s municipal court trial is scheduled for Feb. 11.

godwulf
01-21-2009, 06:51 PM
This story is a more complete account, and I think is somewhat more sympathetic to the guy.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20090115/UPDATES01/901150360/-1/rss

Even if you don't count all the quotes from his lawyer. :rolleyes:

chakes89
01-22-2009, 12:13 AM
No picture?

LAME!

TNTtoys
01-22-2009, 12:19 AM
I read this today and couldn't believe how ridiculous... Arrest a man for scamming bagels and signing autographs? Sounds like a childhood prank, not a crime. I thought to myself...why aren't they going after the real criminals... like baseball players who take steroids? :o

spartakid
01-22-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm with Chakes, I want a picture! He must really look like him if he fooled all those people.

David
01-22-2009, 12:43 AM
It would be pretty sad if a MLB player was trying to get free food from a bagel shop. Besides, instead of showering him with confetti, the employee should have said "You make $15 million a year. You can pay for a %&^# bagel."

David
01-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Actually, the episode sounds like a plot from Seinfeld. George discovers he resembles the President of Dairy Queen and goes around New York getting fat on Mister Twisters.

chakes89
01-22-2009, 02:46 AM
I'm with Chakes, I want a picture! He must really look like him if he fooled all those people.
Not necessarily

Don't forget that there are a lot of stupid people out there

chakes89
01-22-2009, 03:11 AM
This is probably one of my favorite threads ever because while looking for a funny picture of Joba to post I ran across the following image and it made me forget what I was doing:

http://www.yankeesdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/adrianalima.jpg

Still not entirely sure how that came up under a google images search for Joba Chamberlain but Im not complaining :D

Have a nice Thursday everyone

(Refer to my signature if you have a problem with that link or this post)

yanks12025
01-22-2009, 06:44 AM
I don't think Joba makes 15 million. And also what this guy did was fraud.

Vintagedeputy
01-22-2009, 07:30 AM
The guy should be arrested - what he did was a crime.

The same thing happened to Yankee Dan Pasqua in 1987.

godwulf
01-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Whether it will be found to be a crime, or even a misdemeanor, will very much depend on the value of what the man gained by his deception, and exactly what he said to those he scammed. Most offenses like fraud and theft are defined in the law by very specific elements, all of which must be met before the charge can even be made. If it turns out that this guy only scored some free bagels and coffee, and maybe some drinks, all of which he later went back and paid for, I think the judicial system has slightly more important things with which to contend, and better ways to spend its time.

Vintagedeputy
01-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Whether it will be found to be a crime, or even a misdemeanor, will very much depend on the value of what the man gained by his deception, and exactly what he said to those he scammed. Most offenses like fraud and theft are defined in the law by very specific elements, all of which must be met before the charge can even be made. If it turns out that this guy only scored some free bagels and coffee, and maybe some drinks, all of which he later went back and paid for, I think the judicial system has slightly more important things with which to contend, and better ways to spend its time.

A crime is a crime. Do we really want the judicial system to decide which ones are a waste of their time? There's a reason that the law is on the books.

There was a kid in California? this week that was charged with larceny in his high school for stealing $1.00 worth of brownies from the cafeteria. Should we brush it off as "its only a dollar" and wait until he's 20 and commits armed robbery before we punish him?

I'm one who believes that a heavy hand in punishment is the greatest deterrent to crime. When someone who is 18 commits a larceny and is given probation or community service, it really does nothing to prevent recidivism. Put the kid in jail for a month and watch his tune change - I speak from experience.

JETEFAN
01-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Found a picture of the Jaba impersonator trying to score free bagels, reports confirm he was signing the bagels "Game Used"!!!!!!:eek:

Vintagedeputy
01-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Found a picture of the Jaba impersonator trying to score free bagels, reports confirm he was signing the bagels "Game Used"!!!!!!:eek:

Funny!

When I was a kid, I attended a Yankee game and distinctly remember a big guy with a HUGE bag of bagels. He was throwing them off the upper deck. Maybe it was the same guy?

cjw
01-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I like this quote from a reader of the news article:

"How about all the women with fake breasts and tons of makeup who go marching around into bars and restaurants looking for someone to pay their tabs? Do you mean to say that a man buying such a woman a drink, could then claim that he was robbed because she was impersonating someone who looks different?"

I thought I was buying drinks for Scarlett Johansson.....give me my $ back you fraud!

schubert1970
01-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Here is a pic of the purp!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09062008/news/regionalnews/summer_of_scam_127758.htm

yanks12025
01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Man, they must have been drunk to think that person looks like Joba.

TNTtoys
01-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Looks like bagels were just the tip of the iceberg.

How much respect would these women have for themselves to just throw themselves into bed with him just because of who he is (or sais he is)? Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Vintagedeputy
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
How much respect would these women have for themselves to just throw themselves into bed with him just because of who he is (or sais he is)? Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

When it comes to that point, I dont believe the men care if the women are equipped with self-respect.

TNTtoys
01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
When it comes to that point, I dont believe the men care if the women are equipped with self-respect.

He obviously didn't care. It's not his judgment I am questioning.

I used to be able to see his point... before I had daughters.

David
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Could it be prosecuted as identity theft? He used someone else's name, a picture id (the newspaper photo) and forged names (autographs).

suave1477
01-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Wow I was a bit surprised by the reaction of some of you guys!!!

According to you guys I should be going to jail too??

I have had a couple of fun situations myself:

Last Year I was in a bar with some friends and these girls swore I was a Mets Pitcher, so I ran with it lol lol, Told them my name is Heilmaan (Mind you I look nothing like the guy)
They bought me drinks all night

I have a friend who use to play Basketball in the european leagues so he is very tall and african american (He wasn't much for dressing up).
Me I am tall but no where near him and when I go out I like to look as sharp as possible (Caucasion).
(So imagine the responses on peoples faces when they saw us walk in together)
We use to go out to the dance clubs and we'd tell girls he plays basketball and I am his agent.
Again the drinks would pour in lol lol

I NEVER SAID I SLEPT WITH THESE WOMEN

JUST HAD A GREAT TIME OUT AND SOME DRINKS

But for those of you who are ready to lock me up, guess what it was just some fun and chances are if you could get away with it once you probably would too.

Not for nothing, if this guy got a few bagels and some cream cheese out of it BIG WHOOPS!!

TNTtoys
01-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Wow I was a bit surprised by the reaction of some of you guys!!!

According to you guys I should be going to jail too??

I have had a couple of fun situations myself:

Last Year I was in a bar with some friends and these girls swore I was a Mets Pitcher, so I ran with it lol lol, Told them my name is Heilmaan (Mind you I look nothing like the guy)
They bought me drinks all night

I have a friend who use to play Basketball in the european leagues so he is very tall and african american (He wasn't much for dressing up).
Me I am tall but no where near him and when I go out I like to look as sharp as possible (Caucasion).
(So imagine the responses on peoples faces when they saw us walk in together)
We use to go out to the dance clubs and we'd tell girls he plays basketball and I am his agent.
Again the drinks would pour in lol lol

I NEVER SAID I SLEPT WITH THESE WOMEN

JUST HAD A GREAT TIME OUT AND SOME DRINKS

I'm with you 100%. My reaction to his signing his name and having a free bagel was that it was all a childish style prank. Nobody was harmed. A simple slap on the wrist would be fine in my eyes. There are plenty of more seedy criminals our law enforcement personnel should be concentrating their time on.

My tune did change after reading that he lured 100 women into bed using his "fake identity." There is where the line was crossed...

Vintagedeputy
01-22-2009, 04:47 PM
In Virginia, his actions would be equal to a larceny charge since he obtained goods under false pretences.

David
01-22-2009, 07:43 PM
I agree that getting a free bagel and signing a few autographs isn't the worst crime known to man. More than a few tall tales have been told in bars to try and get a free drink or pick up a date.

jppopma
01-23-2009, 02:08 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/cali93703/im-rick-james-bitch.png

......now give me my bagel !

godwulf
01-23-2009, 05:59 PM
A crime is a crime. Do we really want the judicial system to decide which ones are a waste of their time?

Yes, we do. Driving five miles over the posted speed limit is a violation of the vehicle code; do you want cops stopping and ticketing every car that's not doing the speed limit or lower? Besides slowing down the flow of traffic, it's a waste of resources. So is spending tax dollars on prosecuting some guy for, essentially, pulling a prank on some very gullable people.

There was a kid in California? this week that was charged with larceny in his high school for stealing $1.00 worth of brownies from the cafeteria. Should we brush it off as "its only a dollar" and wait until he's 20 and commits armed robbery before we punish him?

I've been a very vocal and consistent critic of schools trying to keep offenses - sometimes as serious as sexual assault and possession of dangerous drugs - "in house", without even notifying or involving the authorities...but in the case of a $1 brownie theft, if the school administration is not equipped to deal with something like that without calling the cops, that does not speak highly of the administrators, at all.

Vintagedeputy
01-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes, we do. Driving five miles over the posted speed limit is a violation of the vehicle code; do you want cops stopping and ticketing every car that's not doing the speed limit or lower? Besides slowing down the flow of traffic, it's a waste of resources. So is spending tax dollars on prosecuting some guy for, essentially, pulling a prank on some very gullable people.

That's exactly what I want! And do you know why? Because its the law! If we as citizens want the law changed so that we can get home more quickly, petition your legislators. In the meantime, obey the law on the books. Should we just disregard the law because 50 cars on the highway are all trying to get somewhere?

I've been a very vocal and consistent critic of schools trying to keep offenses - sometimes as serious as sexual assault and possession of dangerous drugs - "in house", without even notifying or involving the authorities...but in the case of a $1 brownie theft, if the school administration is not equipped to deal with something like that without calling the cops, that does not speak highly of the administrators, at all

Well then, we'll have to agree to disagree. When you wear a badge for 12 years as I did, you learn alot about society. Recidivism is at an all time high. NO ONE gets rehabilitated in jail. Judges are far too lenient....jail sentences are far too short. A $1 brownie today, a few cd's from a student's open car window next week.....by the end of the school year, a stolen teacher's laptop and membership in a gang....where do you draw the line of legal and judicial intervention? If you think I'm out of line, as any school resource officer anywhere.

Teachers are there to teach, and administrators to administer policy. They are not there to break up fights, be assaulted, or suffer personal or financial loss. When that comes in to play, the police should be called.

godwulf
01-23-2009, 10:33 PM
That's exactly what I want! And do you know why? Because its the law! If we as citizens want the law changed so that we can get home more quickly, petition your legislators. In the meantime, obey the law on the books. Should we just disregard the law because 50 cars on the highway are all trying to get somewhere?

That's exactly what happens, everywhere, every day. If traffic is flowing at a safe and prudent speed, the cop who intervenes to start writing folks up is either bored or badge heavy.

Teachers are there to teach, and administrators to administer policy. They are not there to break up fights, be assaulted, or suffer personal or financial loss. When that comes in to play, the police should be called.

When those things happen, by all means, call the police. When somebody snitches a brownie, deal with it appropriately. It's apples and oranges.

Vintagedeputy
01-23-2009, 10:52 PM
That's exactly what happens, everywhere, every day. If traffic is flowing at a safe and prudent speed, the cop who intervenes to start writing folks up is either bored or badge heavy.

Its not up to the traffic to decide what is a safe and prudent speed. Its up to the legislators to decide that and the police to enforce it.

When those things happen, by all means, call the police. When somebody snitches a brownie, deal with it appropriately. It's apples and oranges.

Far from apples and oranges - more like the apple seed that grows into the apple tree, the bad apple tree.

Crush the seed, and no more trees with bad apples.

jppopma
01-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Woo hoo, a police arguement. One thing I know even more about than jerseys.

Speeding; There is an acceptable range that will create a safe and fluid flow of traffic. This is usually from 5 under the speed limit to about 8 or so above the speed limit. This will allow for variences of speedometers which are not all calibrated the same, driver fluctuations, and proper spacing of vehicles. Most roads are designed for speeds greater than the posted limit, likely for the variences above. There has been a trend in recent year to reevaluate speed limits to put them more in line with the flow of traffic. That is not meaning that we are giving in to whoever wants to break the law, but more of an effort to keep a majority of the drivers at roughly the same speed. Studies have shown that increasing the speed limit does not necessary cause the faster drivers to go faster, but does bring the median speed up and closes the gap between speeds.

Brownies; I have no problem with people chosing to remedy issues without criminal charges. From the schools doing things "in house" to a neighbor making a kid work it off a punishment, if the lesson is learned this way I am all for it. Yes the courts are very overworked and often the case will end up with not much more of a penalty anyway.

Recidivism is a major point when addressing these issues. While some can say that swift and severe punishment is the way to prevent future crime, there are other factors to consider. One important issue to consider is that of labelling. Everyone takes a certain pride in who they are and will work hard to maintain a certain image of themselves. If you take that way over a minor offense and label a young child as a thief over a $1 brownie, are you really doing them a favor. If their self worth is reduced to being labelled as a thief, what will prevent them from doing it again -- hell, thats what they are and that's all that is expected of them. While people can live up to their potential, they can also live down to their expectations as well.

I do not mean any of this to agree or disagree with anyone. Both Vintage and Godwulf have valid points...and I'm sure they will not agree. Hopefully this will help both to see some of the deeper issues. Take care.