PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Jerseys-flooded Market

hblakewolf
04-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Forum Readers-

I bring your attention to the following auction, as an example of how a once extremely difficult teams' jersey was to purchase has now turned into a complete joke:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARL-PAVANO-GAME-WORN-2006-YANKEE-HOME-JERSEY-STEINER_W0QQitemZ8793018821QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

Steiner is now selling home pinstripe jerseys that were worn for one game. Is it just me, or does it seem pathetic that the Yankees/Steiner are so desperate for business that they would sell 2006 spring training jerseys that were worn for one game, rather than wear these jerseys throughout the 2006 season and wait until the season is over and then sell these as true "2006 game worn jerseys"? At this rate, I'll bet that common Yankees jerseys from the last few seasons will be selling in the same range as the once other difficult teams jerseys, the Blue Jays. Remember when Jays commons sold for $495.-$695., if you could even find one? It's only a matter of time before you see Yankees commons selling for $200. or less-just wait.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

yanks12025
04-10-2006, 05:42 PM
And the other sad thing is carl did not play so it really aint game used me just sat in it.

trsent
04-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Two things:

At least they stated that it was worn in the first spring training game only as they could have identified it as something else, confusing the buyer that maybe it was worn in the regular season.

Second, isn't game used a jersey that a player wore in a game, even if they didn't appear in the game? For instance, say a manager wears a jersey, it is "game used" though he never played in the game. If a pitcher is on the active roster and he wears a jersey in the bullpen but doesn't get any game time, I believe the item is still classified as "game used" since they did wear it in an actual game. I know it is borderline and the average collector will not like the terminology, but "game used" means the player wore it in a game, even if they only appeared on the bench or on the active rooster.

kingjammy24
04-10-2006, 06:42 PM
While I understand the stark contrast between the Yankees supply/distribution practices years ago and now, I'm not so sure that the current trend of flooding the market is unique to the Yankees or Steiner. To be sure, I do agree that, compared to 10 yrs ago, the market has become far more saturated. However, I wouldn't attribute this any one team or company as much as I'd attribute it to a recent and dramatic change in the supply/distribution practices of most MLB teams. I'm not sure why it's taken so long but it seems that the majority of players and teams have only recently begun to really aggressively capitalize on the game-used market, compared to 10 yrs ago. As a result, I think the majority of teams are ordering more jerseys and players are intentionally going through more jerseys with the sole intent of selling them. Gone are the days of 4 jerseys issued per year. At some point, I tallied up some figures and realized that Manny Ramirez seems to "use" 50 jerseys per year. I'm willing to bet he's not the only one. During his countdown to 500 HRs, Palmeiro was changing jerseys every few innings. I don't recall Nolan Ryan doing anything of the sort during his countdown to 300 wins or George Brett during his countdown to 3000 hits. As time moves on, I think the supply will only get worse with players regularly going through 20 or 30 jerseys a season. You'll see a lot more of those Palmeiro-esque antics.
I don't pay it very much attention though because I collect jerseys from 1989-1993. IE: jerseys that seem almost impossible to find these days because they came from an era when most teams didn't publically market their jerseys and when most players still only used 2 or 3 jerseys per season.
While it's true that Yankees and Jays jerseys have recently come pouring out, the flooding is really only occuring from their 2002+ stock. Howard, you mention how Jays jerseys were once difficult to get. I'd argue that they still are if you're talking about 80's/early 90's Jays jerseys. The only Jays jerseys that aren't difficult to get are ones from 2000+. You'll still be very hard pressed to find quality pieces from most teams from the 80's or early 90's. They just don't exist.
Steiner will continue to inundate the market with 2005 and 2006 jerseys but jerseys from over a decade+ ago will continue to remain scarce as they weren't intentionally ordered in huge numbers as they are now. Personally, I've absolutely no interest in modern jerseys because I think the supply is being intentionally inflated by all teams. I think the flooding is simply a result of the market maturing, I think it comes from all teams and I think it's just going to get worse over the next few years. If demand stays constant, then I agree that this flooding will eventually lead to a drop in prices. However, if all of this increased marketing and supply leads to increased demand (from new collectors entering the hobby), then the prices will stay up for awhile. Either way, I'll ignore it and keep on my hunt for 1990 Indians, Royals, and Angels road jerseys.

Rudy.

suave1477
04-10-2006, 07:31 PM
What all of you dont realize and are passing judgment on is this.

That one jersey they wore for one day does have significance for the Yankees, its not just so steiner can make some extra money all though that is the end result.

Every spring training for the very first game the Yankees wear the White and Blue pinstripe jersey after that they switch to the Blue jerseys.
The very first jersey is made by Majestic considered to be a Spring Training Jersey while the regular season jerseys I believe is made by Rawlings or one of those.

hblakewolf
04-10-2006, 07:52 PM
What all of you dont realize and are passing judgment on is this.

That one jersey they wore for one day does have significance for the Yankees, its not just so steiner can make some extra money all though that is the end result.

Every spring training for the very first game the Yankees wear the White and Blue pinstripe jersey after that they switch to the Blue jerseys.
The very first jersey is made by Majestic considered to be a Spring Training Jersey while the regular season jerseys I believe is made by Rawlings or one of those.

Hate to burst your bubble, however, Majestic is the official supplier of ALL jerseys for 2006. Regardless if it is the blue BP or the white game jersey, it is made by Majestic.

I'm not sure you understand my original post. I can assure you, that the majority of collectors would rather have the white game shirt worn for a few more games, or better yet, the entire season, as compared to one spring training game. Steiner/Yankees must feel they need to keep fresh merchandise running through the pipeline, and thus, the reason for selling a 2006 home jersey after just one game.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

metsbats
04-10-2006, 08:21 PM
If you go to the Yankees official site they are selling the Yankees Universe "T-shirt" of which all proceeds go to Sloan Kettering Cancer Hospital. It would have been nice if they sold their game used jerseys to benefit such a worthly cause instead of lining Brandon Steiner's pockets.

The Yankees always go with the grain like refusing to put NOB for the last 100 years and manufacturer labels on their sleeves. All that pride and tradition slogans but they sold out to Steiner in a New York Minute.

David

trsent
04-10-2006, 08:42 PM
At least you are getting authentic game used Yankee jerseys. It is not our decisions to pass on if they sell too many or too few. I see the point that the market will be depressed because of the volume they are selling, but I am not going to lose any sleep over it myself.

As for George Steinbrenner or Brandon Steiner's wallets, it is not my concern what they are adding to it as it is not at my personal expense so I do not know why people are so up in arms over what they sell - At least it is genuine (or it appears genuine)!

suave1477
04-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Ok it is my mistake i was not aware that majestic was making all jerseys for 06 but it has been tradition in the past to wear a white and blue pinstripe jersey for the first game and the blue jerseys for the rest of spring training, i have seen it before. Well as much as they do soak the market with the items what choice do we have as trsent said the one thing I can feel comfortable with without a doubt is that your getting the real thing.

Yankwood
04-11-2006, 06:29 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, however, Majestic is the official supplier of ALL jerseys for 2006. Regardless if it is the blue BP or the white game jersey, it is made by Majestic.

I'm not sure you understand my original post. I can assure you, that the majority of collectors would rather have the white game shirt worn for a few more games, or better yet, the entire season, as compared to one spring training game. Steiner/Yankees must feel they need to keep fresh merchandise running through the pipeline, and thus, the reason for selling a 2006 home jersey after just one game.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net Right, but the difference is that the guy who just wants a Yankee jersey that is definitely legit whether for one game or not is getting one for a fraction of the cost. Not everyone has $1500 to spend on a game worn "Whoever" jersey but he might have $200. And to me 1 game is still better than this "pro cut" stuff which was never even worn once. I have seen too many collectors over the past 20 years get screwed out of alot of money getting total fakes. So the idea of spending a hundred or 2 or 3 for one of these does not seem that bad. And believe me, I am not in the habit of defending Steiner, but on this one I don't think it's that bad. On the other hand, $2000 for a 5 year old game used bat.........ouch!

2000mvpfan
04-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Right, but the difference is that the guy who just wants a Yankee jersey that is definitely legit whether for one game or not is getting one for a fraction of the cost. Not everyone has $1500 to spend on a game worn "Whoever" jersey but he might have $200. And to me 1 game is still better than this "pro cut" stuff which was never even worn once. I have seen too many collectors over the past 20 years get screwed out of alot of money getting total fakes. So the idea of spending a hundred or 2 or 3 for one of these does not seem that bad. And believe me, I am not in the habit of defending Steiner, but on this one I don't think it's that bad. On the other hand, $2000 for a 5 year old game used bat.........ouch!

......yes,but go look at Steiner's website.They want $2500 for Jason Giambi's 1-game '06 spring training pinstripe jersey,and that's the same price they want for the other Giambi jerseys they have which have been worn all season long.Personally,I agree with Howard and would rather take the one that was used all year.I think all Steiner is doing is charging you a premium on those spring training 1-shots because they are the "first" jerseys the Yanks wear for the new season,even if only for 1 game.

But $2500 for something used in 1 game (that doesn't count) for less than 5 innings seems a bit ridiculous.

Joe

Yankwood
04-11-2006, 09:40 AM
......yes,but go look at Steiner's website.They want $2500 for Jason Giambi's 1-game '06 spring training pinstripe jersey,and that's the same price they want for the other Giambi jerseys they have which have been worn all season long.Personally,I agree with Howard and would rather take the one that was used all year.I think all Steiner is doing is charging you a premium on those spring training 1-shots because they are the "first" jerseys the Yanks wear for the new season,even if only for 1 game.

But $2500 for something used in 1 game (that doesn't count) for less than 5 innings seems a bit ridiculous.

JoeThat goes without saying, but the particular cases I saw were where the spring training jersey was a fraction. Obviously, at the same price anybody would prefer the regular season jersey. When Steiner auctions them, the typical spring training jersey, not that the Yankees have many common name players, but those are going for 100 to 150 that I have seen.

bigtime59
04-11-2006, 05:49 PM
EVERY Yankee$ jersey sold should come with a little voice box thingy. When you press it, it's Winterland 1978 all over again, and Johnny Rotten is saying:
"HA-HA...ever had the feeling you've been cheated?"
People who overpay for this ugly, archaic junk, just because it's a Yankee$ jersey, get what they deserve. God, I can't wait till they suck again! (And, no, a 2-4 start isn't good enough...give me 2-40!)
:mad:

Yankwood
04-12-2006, 12:03 PM
EVERY Yankee$ jersey sold should come with a little voice box thingy. When you press it, it's Winterland 1978 all over again, and Johnny Rotten is saying:
"HA-HA...ever had the feeling you've been cheated?"
People who overpay for this ugly, archaic junk, just because it's a Yankee$ jersey, get what they deserve. God, I can't wait till they suck again! (And, no, a 2-4 start isn't good enough...give me 2-40!)
:mad:I love the Sex Pistols almost as much as I love the Yankees. I hope to one day obtain Sid Vicious retired leather jacket.

psmachetti
04-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Well .......guess what! That would be good news for me ,Mr. Low Budget collector. Game worn for one game is game worn. Given the prices they're currently being sold at I will never be able to afford a Yankee pinstripe jersey. If they ever get to the point they're $200 I am all over those.You boys are big time. I am small potatoes.
Paul

trsent
04-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Well .......guess what! That would be good news for me ,Mr. Low Budget collector. Game worn for one game is game worn. Given the prices they're currently being sold at I will never be able to afford a Yankee pinstripe jersey. If they ever get to the point they're $200 I am all over those.You boys are big time. I am small potatoes.
Paul

Paul, do you think George Steinbrenner would sell anything unless he is getting top dollar? He pays top dollar to all superstars and mediocre players he can muster up. I assume if he is going to sell his jerseys, he is going to get TOP dollar or keep them.

Funny story about Steinbrenner from Billy Martin's book years ago. Billy wrote that in George's first game as owner The Yankees were losing by one in the 9th with two out and a runner on 3rd.

The batter hit a ground ball, and was easily thrown out at 1st to end the game. George was standing applauding because since the runner from 3rd crossed the plate before the out was made, he though they had tied the game and were going to extra innings.

Rmmm912
04-16-2006, 09:37 AM
One perspective that seems to be missing is that the Yankees only wear pinstripes once during spring training, and that is for Game #1 each year; so this is an opportunity to get Giambi's game used (yes, briefly) pinstripe jersey for a fraction (not same) price as the regular season one. THat is why is sells for a bit of a premium vs. other (blue) spring training jerseys). Btw, it retails for $2000, not $2500, and his regular season game used retails for over $7K. You are corect to point out the distinction that it is not very used, but your facts are off in the other areas.

2000mvpfan
04-16-2006, 12:50 PM
I can assure you,in the last year Steiner has NOT had a Giambi regular gamer ever as high as $7000.Believe me,if there's anyone out there actively looking for Giambi's stuff,it's me.Just ask the forum how many times they've had to put up with me bumping "items wanted" messages about his g/u batting gloves.Truth is,IF Steiner has a $7000 Giambi up now(and they don't,I just checked) then it's new pricing based on his "Comeback Player Of The Year" status and good start this year.Don't forget the steroid issue-who would've paid $7000 for that jersey?That is why I assure you both his spring training BP and regular season jerseys were NEVER higher than $2500 (oh,and if the 1-shot Pinstripe is $2000,not $2500,BIG DEAL-that is still not a discount for a one game item).Sorry if this seemed like a rant,but seems like I was being called out for stating THE TRUTH about some of Steiner's ridiculous pricing.

Joe

2000mvpfan
04-16-2006, 12:59 PM
.....and by the way,there is at least one entire-spring used blue jersey priced higher than the 1-shot Pinstripe.....based on the "rarity of the Pinstripe" reasoning,how can this be?
It just shows how arbitrarily Steiner can slap a price on a product and hope (in most cases,know) that someone will pay it.No thanks,I'll take the Oakland stuff with team documentation for a fraction ($375 for his '95 alt. green rookie gamer during "the down year" of last season)

-Joe

Rmmm912
04-17-2006, 08:46 AM
[quote=2000mvpfan]I can assure you,in the last year Steiner has NOT had a Giambi regular gamer ever as high as $7000.Believe me,if there's anyone out there actively looking for Giambi's stuff,it's me.Just ask the forum how many times they've had to put up with me bumping "items wanted" messages about his g/u batting gloves.Truth is,IF Steiner has a $7000 Giambi up now(and they don't,I just checked) then it's new pricing based on his "Comeback Player Of The Year" status and good start this year.Don't forget the steroid issue-who would've paid $7000 for that jersey?That is why I assure you both his spring training BP and regular season jerseys were NEVER higher than $2500 (oh,and if the 1-shot Pinstripe is $2000,not $2500,BIG DEAL-that is still not a discount for a one game item).Sorry if this seemed like a rant,but seems like I was being called out for stating THE TRUTH about some of Steiner's ridiculous pricing.

Actually, there are no game used Giambi jerseys listed an the site, but there are several in inventory (not everything makes it onto the site). If you simply call and ask, you will be told that they are $7500 retail, and yes, since Giambi's status has incresed over the past year, the value of his game used jersey has also increased.

I don't mind the rant at all, just clarifying the facts.