PDA

View Full Version : Courtesy & the Hobby

cohibasmoker
01-19-2009, 12:49 PM
The pervious thread about Historic Auctions reminded me of an incident that I just went through. As some of you guys know, I recently picked up a Cowboys helmet that was worn by Tom Randall. Tom played just one season (1978) with the Cowboys and because of year he played and the extreme wear to the helmet, I was wondering if the helmet could possibly have been worn during the Super Bowl from the same season.

I located the Tom Randall on the internet and sent him several emails asking for his help. All of my emails went unanswered. Finally, I told a friend of my dilemma and he suggested to me that perhaps a personal letter would be better than an email? His thoughts were, if you are asking someone for a favor, the least you can do is take the time to write them a personal letter as opposed to an impersonal email. So, I took the time to compose a letter and added a SASE.

Well, guess what? I just got my letter back from Mr. Randall and yes, he did wear the helmet for the entire 1978. One of the questions I asked was, was the helmet worn during the Super Bowl? He responded, “Same helmet all year”.

The moral of this thread is, and I am as guilty as anyone, we sometimes forget that a little courtesy could go a long way.

Jim

Flaa1a@comcast.net

AWA85
01-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Just curious how you tracked him down, sounds creepy but there are one or two common players that I would like to get a hold of (Deivi Cruz, Bob Henley). Any tips for sending a letter or trying to find an address?

dcrules01
01-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah I was looking for an address to wright Doug Flynn but have not found anything..:(

markize
01-19-2009, 01:17 PM
awa85, and dcrules01,

emails sent with possible address leads. good luck.

mark

cohibasmoker
01-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Just curious how you tracked him down, sounds creepy but there are one or two common players that I would like to get a hold of (Deivi Cruz, Bob Henley). Any tips for sending a letter or trying to find an address?

It was pretty simple - I found out what college he went to. I then emailed the Athletic Department and they forwarded his business number. I then did a Google search on the number and his website popped up.

Jim

cohibasmoker
01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah I was looking for an address to wright Doug Flynn but have not found anything..:(

Doug Flynn is easy. He's a banker in Lexington, Kentucky. Go to

http://www.metstoday.com/mets-2008-games/2008/doug-flynns-inspirational-email/

eisenreich8
01-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Hey Jim,

To keep with the topic at hand, I have to agree with you. That goes for all the folks on the various forums I visit, as in the case where someone is selling an item, you contact them to ask the questions or get the ball rolling and you get curt, 3 or 4 word answers, no salutation, no signature, and that makes me usually take my ball and go home.

Civility is a rarer commodity today than I have ever seen it.

yanks12025
01-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Anyone know how i can track down Chris Chambliss. He's doing a signing next week but i'm not able to make it.

mr.miracle
01-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey Jim,

To keep with the topic at hand, I have to agree with you. That goes for all the folks on the various forums I visit, as in the case where someone is selling an item, you contact them to ask the questions or get the ball rolling and you get curt, 3 or 4 word answers, no salutation, no signature, and that makes me usually take my ball and go home.

I am constantly amazed at the general lack of civility in society today. I always hear excuses as to why people in the business world don't have time to be civil. As someone who works a job in which I receive on average of 150 or more emails a day, 25 - 30 voice mails and countless other phone calls and interruptions, I am still able to respond to each and every request even if and when it requires 14 and 16 hour days often six to seven days per week. I guess I don't often buy those lame excuses as it is a matter of professional courtesy or lack thereof. That being said, I also often find that email has replaced the telephone as a method of communcation when often the phone is still the very best option for quickly solving a problem instead of shooting off a string of 20 emails back and forth when 30 seconds on the phone would have solved the problem. Such is the world that we now live in where technology has replaced face to face or telephone communications. I am not certain we are the better for it.

mwbosoxfan
01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
The moral of this thread is, and I am as guilty as anyone, we sometimes forget that a little courtesy could go a long way.

Jim

I am constantly amazed at the general lack of civility in society today.

Such is the world that we now live in where technology has replaced face to face or telephone communications. I am not certain we are the better for it.

Jim, I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind when you wrote your original post and with the title "Courtesy & the Hobby", but I can't help but think this applies to the GUU forum. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems that so many threads for some time now have been derailed into mud slinging, name calling, adolescent exchanges.

I actually enjoy reading some spirited debates on various points of view on game used items or different opinions about the players themselves. Unfortunately, it just seems that too many times when opinions are given, whether weak or strong, disagreeing parties seem to throw out more insults than good evidence to back their position. It's also disheartening to the read some of the responses given to new forum members by some of our more seasoned and knowledgeable veterans with such a belittling tone.

I think that some of greatest knowledge brought to the forum is revealed through some serious debate. So, this isn't about, "can't we all just get along?" It just has to do with each of the quotes above. I, like many, have made sarcastic remarks when I didn't necessarily agree with something someone wrote. Probably not the best thing, but it happens. I just think maybe we might find that some of the threads would ultimately be more interesting and helpful if they didn't turn into, as Jim mentioned earlier today, CRAP! Just my thoughts.

John

frikativ54
01-19-2009, 07:20 PM
I am constantly amazed at the general lack of civility in society today. I always hear excuses as to why people in the business world don't have time to be civil. As someone who works a job in which I receive on average of 150 or more emails a day, 25 - 30 voice mails and countless other phone calls and interruptions, I am still able to respond to each and every request even if and when it requires 14 and 16 hour days often six to seven days per week. I guess I don't often buy those lame excuses as it is a matter of professional courtesy or lack thereof. That being said, I also often find that email has replaced the telephone as a method of communcation when often the phone is still the very best option for quickly solving a problem instead of shooting off a string of 20 emails back and forth when 30 seconds on the phone would have solved the problem. Such is the world that we now live in where technology has replaced face to face or telephone communications. I am not certain we are the better for it.

The reverse side of the coin is that because of email, we have access to people that never would have answered the phone for us! It is a more anonymous means of communication, and it allows us to be in contact with more people. The volume of communication I get from this forum just wouldn't be feasible to do all of it by phone - and I enjoy the sincere emails I get from collectors!

mr.miracle
01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
The reverse side of the coin is that because of email, we have access to people that never would have answered the phone for us! It is a more anonymous means of communication, and it allows us to be in contact with more people. The volume of communication I get from this forum just wouldn't be feasible to do all of it by phone - and I enjoy the sincere emails I get from collectors!

That is true, every method has its purposes, however when I often see people say I tried emailing this or that company ten times and never received a response, I am amazed that people just don't pick up the phone. You are correct, email is much more anonymous and as a result, many people believe it either gives them license or power to respond in very nasty ways that if they were face to face they would not do.

dcgreg25
01-19-2009, 10:31 PM
This is a really important topic in so many ways....I have been on the forum for about a year now and learned tons of valuable information and am a better collector for it. We all have different levels of expertise and experience in game used collecting and I am always amazed at how giving several of the more senior, knowledgeable, members are of their time and knowledge if you just ask nicely. I now am able to help pass along some of this knowledge to newer collectors. Sometimes on the board, as in life, courtesy and civility gets lost with the pressures, stresses, etc. we all deal with in life. It all really boils down to treating people as you would want to be treated.

Coming off a weekend where somebody hit my car in a home depot parking lot and drove off without leaving a note or anything leaving me with $1500 in damage :mad: ....this is a bit of a sore subject for me. All it takes is just a second to stop and think outside yourself for a minute.

I try to be as responsive as I can to emails from other members whether its about items I have for sale, or another Indians jersey, bat, etc. that has come up. Sometimes I do not reply as quickly as I would like but I try get back to people in a timely manner and offer help to others on the board. It is easy to hit reply and rip somebody a new one about an item or their opinion not realizing the effect it might have.

Just take a minute and think about the other person and how they would like to be treated. Ok, time to climb down from my soap box and get back to the important issues in life such as determining the authenticity of a 1990 Omar Vizquel jersey on ebay! :D

frikativ54
01-19-2009, 10:39 PM
This is a really important topic in so many ways....I have been on the forum for about a year now and learned tons of valuable information and am a better collector for it. We all have different levels of expertise and experience in game used collecting and I am always amazed at how giving several of the more senior, knowledgeable, members are of their time and knowledge if you just ask nicely. I now am able to help pass along some of this knowledge to newer collectors. Sometimes on the board, as in life, courtesy and civility gets lost with the pressures, stresses, etc. we all deal with in life. It all really boils down to treating people as you would want to be treated.

Coming off a weekend where somebody hit my car in a home depot parking lot and drove off without leaving a note or anything leaving me with $1500 in damage :mad: ....this is a bit of a sore subject for me. All it takes is just a second to stop and think outside yourself for a minute.

I try to be as responsive as I can to emails from other members whether its about items I have for sale, or another Indians jersey, bat, etc. that has come up. Sometimes I do not reply as quickly as I would like but I try get back to people in a timely manner and offer help to others on the board. It is easy to hit reply and rip somebody a new one about an item or their opinion not realizing the effect it might have.

Just take a minute and think about the other person and how they would like to be treated. Ok, time to climb down from my soap box and get back to the important issues in life such as determining the authenticity of a 1990 Omar Vizquel jersey on ebay! :D

While I agree with what you are saying, the flip side is that we need to be courteous and realize that if someone hasn't replied for a week, that doesn't mean that he is necessarily a jerk. I have had the experience where someone is merely out of town, or there are other unforeseen circumstances, and people write this person off without knowing all the details. It's one thing if there are constant excuses; it's quite another if someone has taken a vacation. Just thought I'd add that in there.

dcgreg25
01-19-2009, 10:48 PM
While I agree with what you are saying, the flip side is that we need to be courteous and realize that if someone hasn't replied for a week, that doesn't mean that he is necessarily a jerk.

Yep, it cuts both ways. This is a hobby for most of us and balancing it with the rest of life is tough and sometimes things slip through the cracks. I try to be understanding when it happens with other people as it happens to everyone. It happened recently when a couple emails from another member kept falling down the list I wasn't ignoring the guy, just got lost in the shuffle. I felt bad about it as I was not intentionally blowing the guy off but it probably seemed that way.

dcrules01
01-19-2009, 11:40 PM
I have been fortunate as far as couteous goes on the form with members helping me out.A few members I would like to give props tp

Andrew Lang allstarsplus has went out of his way for me always going beyond the call of duty helping me obtain some valuable items the last few years.He helps the little guy out and a lot of dealers could take lessons from him.I have had some very informative conversations with him and email exchanges

Nick tnt_toys Our wives probably think we are crazy between the emails and phone conversation on a weekly basis.He is another one always willing to go the extra mile in helping me obtaining some nice pieces for my Mets collection.His knowledge is amazin when it comes to Mets jersey.I have been fortunate to pass on a few nice items for my collection so he could obtain them as he has done for me.

David metsbats have spoken to him once in the famous Mets bat lot that he included me in with Nick and Jessie and he always returns my emails when I have a question on Mets bats.Have had some very nice email excahnges and thankful for his input.

Jessie ultimatemetfan have had the oppurtunity to pass along some nice Mets catchers items to him and went in on a nice bat lot with him david and Nick that went very smooth.Our email exchanges have always been pleasent..

A big shout out goes to Abe who I have had countless transactions with that have always been stellar..Swoboda for allowing me to obtain one of my grails my 2002 Mets 9-11 home Burnitz I could go on..

What I aim for is being courteous on the board returning emails in a timely manner or returning a phone call if possible.Always willing to pass along a good deal if I can to a friend and I have been fortunate to make a few friends..I love reading this board and I will always help in anyway I can.

skyking26
01-21-2009, 03:05 PM
What will always piss me off is when you email somebody, and they can't take 2 seconds to respond yes or no. It just takes seconds. Really irritates the crap out of me.