PDA

View Full Version : A Bit Misleading...?

frikativ54
01-17-2009, 01:06 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pete-Rose-Phillies-1980-World-Series-Game-Used-Glove_W0QQitemZ140295414102QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item140295414102&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

So in this auction, you get a Pete Rose glove used in the 1980s, not in the 1980 World Series? Am I reading this correctly? The price is a bit steep IMO, but I wanted your opinions on this auction.

chakes89
01-17-2009, 01:32 AM
You would think an auction involving a "game used" Pete Rose glove would include more than a one line blurb about it wouldn't ya

Mr.3000
01-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Not misleading one bit.

The auction is for (2) gloves. One, a promotional glove signed by Rose. The second, a 1980's...not necessarily 1980...game used Rose glove w/ embroidered name.

I think the auction is pretty self explanatory.

Not being a glove expert, I would say they look pretty good....IMO.

frikativ54
01-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Not misleading one bit.

The auction is for (2) gloves. One, a promotional glove signed by Rose. The second, a 1980's...not necessarily 1980...game used Rose glove w/ embroidered name.

I think the auction is pretty self explanatory.

Not being a glove expert, I would say they look pretty good....IMO.

When I opened the auction, I expected to see a glove that Rose used in the 1980 World Series, not at some nebulous point in the decade. Read the title.

Mr.3000
01-17-2009, 01:46 AM
When I opened the auction, I expected to see a glove that Rose used in the 1980 World Series, not at some nebulous point in the decade. Read the title.

Do you look for fault in everyone and everything? Or is it just your melodramatic nature that drives you?

Seriously, so the title is "key word spammed". The actual description appears to be solid and spot on.

Stop already. Please. I think everyone has had enough for one night.

frikativ54
01-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Do you look for fault in everyone and everything? Or is it just your melodramatic nature that drives you?

Seriously, so the title is "key word spammed". The actual description appears to be solid and spot on.

Stop already. Please. I think everyone has had enough for one night.

I am just waiting for a guy to call another guy melodramatic on this board. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath, as melodrama is often just an excuse used by sexist males to silence women's legitimate greviences. I feel bad for your wife.

chakes89
01-17-2009, 01:59 AM
I am melodramatic

There I called a guy melodramatic :D

Mr.3000
01-17-2009, 02:07 AM
I am just waiting for a guy to call another guy melodramatic on this board. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath, as melodrama is often just an excuse used by sexist males to silence women's legitimate greviences. I feel bad for your wife.

:sigh:

The problem is you have a "legitimate grievance" every hour, on the hour.

For the record, that is not my auction and I have no affiliation to the seller whatsoever.

So the seller put "1980 World Series" in his auction title. Perhaps to draw more attention to his items, perhaps because he has dated the glove to the "1980's" as stated but isn't quite sure the exact month(s) or even year(s) (i.e 80, 81, 82, 83 etc).

The issue I have with you on this is not that you have a honest concern about the legitimacy of the items in question. But that you are nitpicking the title and are claiming it is misleading. Do you really have nothing better to do? Does common sense escape you that easily? Seriously. Grow up already. From the entire episode of the emails now straight into this. It's quite unbelievable. And no, as much as you would like to believe, it has nothing whatsoever to do with your gender. I would be saying the same thing to you if you were a male. Trust me on that.

I'm sorry if I seem like I am coming off too harsh. I'm simply tired of the way you seem to consistently blow things out of proportion.

In the end, I see nothing wrong with the auction, the items in the auction or the key words used in the title. It got me to look, and then the item description clearly laid out what was for sale. End of story.

skyking26
01-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Well said Mr. 3000; all the way around.

Canseco44
01-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Yes, the title is 100% misleading. I didn't see anywhere in the auction where it mentioned it was used in the 1980 World Series, yet the title says 1980 World Series Game Used Glove.

Todd

Vintagedeputy
01-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I am melodramatic

There I called a guy melodramatic :D

chakes89 - you should be ashamed of yourself. Its quite obvious to Frik (and no one else) that this intentionally deceptive ebay auction must be yours, and your alone. You must have some super secret ebay scanning device hooked up to stalk Frik when she searches for game used items, and you have now used that knowledge to create a misleading auction for something that no one would ever dream that she'd be interested in, just to give her agida. She collects Jeff Bagwell, and you, being the evil mastermind that you are, shrewdly was able to deduce that she would of course be interested in Pete Rose items. What a sly fox you are! Shame, shame, shame, everyone knows your name!

:)

34swtns
01-17-2009, 09:53 AM
The title of that auction is completely misleading. If you can't see that, you'd better buy some glasses and then google "false advertising".

She posed a legitimate question and a couple of high-horse riders turned it into a personal attack.
I would suggest that some people here need to start thinking before they start typing, "will this response make me look like an a-hole"?

Seriously, kids. Knock it off.

Mr.3000
01-17-2009, 10:25 AM
The title of that auction is completely misleading. If you can't see that, you'd better buy some glasses and then google "false advertising".

She posed a legitimate question and a couple of high-horse riders turned it into a personal attack.
I would suggest that some people here need to start thinking before they start typing, "will this response make me look like an a-hole"?

High horse? Far from it. I'm also far from being naive enough, or "sensitive" enough to call that auction title misleading.

Sorry, but a little key word spamming, which is what that clearly is IMO, doesn't bother me. As I said, he got me to look then the auction description CLEARLY laid out what both items are.

Couple that with the fact that Frik does nothing but complain, insinuate, accuse and stir the pot with nearly every post. Yes, it's annoying. It's clear I'm not the only one that's had my fill. Personal attack? No. Someone who enjoys this board and had reached his limit? Yes.

Fnazxc0114
01-17-2009, 10:42 AM
my favorite ebay titles are the insert players game UNused bat. those are pretty funny

ChrisCavalier
01-17-2009, 11:06 AM
If anyone is going to participate in this thread, please focus on the question asked and please refrain from personal comments.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

bigtruck260
01-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Key Word spamming is a problem...and I am not a fan of it at all.

If you are going to post World Series in the title, the item better be from the World Series, or you are wasting my time. It is stuff like this that keeps me on eBay longer than I need to be.

Frik - I agree here. I am an experienced eBay member, and though I can cut through the misleading title, I can see why a person would be irritated. Even if the descriptions are spot on, the title of the auction would make me stay away.

TNTtoys
01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
My 2c... I agree with everyone in this thread to some degree, as this is not a black and white.

1. There is blatant key word spamming here. This provides an annoyance to prospective buyers, because if the TITLE alone is something that they are looking for, they will be greatly disappointed when they finally realize what the item is from its DESCRIPTION.

2. Yes, the prospective buyer is being MISLED (strong word); however, the only he is being misled to do is open the page and read the description (and hence waste his time). The buyer is not being misled however to buy the item. You can't think for a minute that a Pete Rose game used glove would be a chear purchase, so you better believe that every word of that description will be read before a decision to bid is made.

I am too not a fan of of other ebay sellers wasting my time. I always get annoyed with a "game used jersey" title with no gallery picture that turns out to be nothing more than a card with a 1 inch square of a former game used jersey attached to it.

I am also not a fan of items miscategorized on purpose. For example, an authentic jersey of a player you collect that is listed in a game used category -- but when you open up the auction & read, you realize it isn't. Another waste of my time.

spartakid
01-17-2009, 02:36 PM
It really annoys me when people put cards under game used, put them under CARDS!! Ricardo

mvandor
01-17-2009, 02:52 PM

Agreed. The mods need to be a bit more active around this place to keep the personal b.s. out of here.