PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth HR 702 bat?

godwulf
01-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Uh...can anyone tell me why the LOA's for this item all mention a bat that has Ruth's and something like "16 other Yankees'" signatures on it, but none of the photos appear to show a bat that has any signatures on it?

Also, I'm no expert whatever on older bats, and maybe I'm way off the mark, but this looks a lot like a store model to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Babe-Ruth-1934-H-B-Game-Used-Bat-Used-to-Hit-HR-702_W0QQitemZ250352633845QQihZ015QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

godwulf
01-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Okay, one of the photos, now that I study it, does seem to show a signature that looks like Ruth's, along with some other writing.

suicide_squeeze
01-17-2009, 12:40 AM
That IS Babe Ruth's 702nd home run bat. I remember watching it in the auction on Mastro. I remember this guy winning it for somewhere close to $100K, and he's jst taking another shot (.....he first listed it for $299,000.00 the first time I saw it on ebay a few months back) at finding some rich idiot out there who just can't live without it, so he can make a quick mint.

With the economy the way it is, he's just throwing away listing fee's at this point in time.

If I remember correctly, it was one of Ruth's last home runs as a Yankee, and there was some sort of a presentation made where as this bat was given to some Yankee insider (I think he sold the team players life insurance).....and the team, knowing Ruth was probably not going to be back the next year all signed the bat after the game.

I believe if you read the letter of authenticity, it tells the story.

Actually, I just looked. This guy "Lexibell" plagurized the entire listing from the MastroNet catalog......if you are interested in reading it, it tells the story.