PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Caps?

EurekaDave
04-09-2006, 05:36 AM
It's faded, stained and bears the Sharpie markings of a numbered player. But how authentic is the game-used hat? I've seen some great comments about collecting them--most of them saying that game used caps are the hardest to authenticate (right along with game used baseballs, I guess).

Still, the game used hat remains one of the most affordable means to enjoy the hobby. So what guidelines do you use in determining the authenticity of a cap? Aside from snatching it off a player's head while he is still sweating, it seems like a real challenge.

geoff
04-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi i look for the players number on the inside of the hat.I also look at the usage of the hat and where it is comimg from.And i like to get a certificate from whatever team the hat came from.Good luck geoff

sandman02910
04-09-2006, 02:57 PM
I have found that if you are into collecting game used caps or just getting your feet wet collecting game used items in general you should try minor league ballparks. Getting to know clubhouse and equipment managers at the AAA or AA level and obtaining items is quite easy and fun. Sure the items aren't as valuable but it is a good way to forge relationships in the business. I have never seen a Craig Hansen or Jonathan Papelbon game used Boston hat but I own 4 Hansen minor league hats and 5 Papelbon minor league hats. It is just a different avenue that I feel not many people explore because they are not items used in the major leagues. Also Dave you mentioned "taking the hat from the players head". You would be suprised at the success I have had by just asking players for bats or hats at the AA or AAA level. Most crack at least one bat every few days and if you are a regular at the ballpark the player will remember your request. Just some thoughts.
Scott

suave1477
04-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Sandman I agree with what your saying but there is one problem, you need to live close to a minor league team. I just got luckt that they opened a minor league team very close to me for the Mets and the Yankees. I have been fortunate to get a lot fo stuff from them, but it has its downfalls its a Single A team. I would love to grab something from there triple AAA team but fo the Yankees thats in Columbus and the Mets Norfolk i dont live near either one.

But have met some great players from the Single A who made it up to the Majors.

Yankees - Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera, Chieng Min Wang, Willy Mo Pena and Andy Phillips

Mets - Scott Kazmir ( now star pitcher for Tampa ), Mike Jacobs, Brian Bannister

sandman02910
04-09-2006, 07:37 PM
I have actually had better luck at the A and AA ballparks. I am a big Red Sox fan so I catch Lowell Spinner (A) games as well as the Portland Sea Dogs when they come to play the Giants AA team in Norwich CT. I have actually had the least luck with the Pawtucket Red Sox AAA. To me better players are in the lower levels and occasionally stop in AAA for a cup of coffee on there way to the majors. Or at least it seems that way the past couple years. I have been lucky enough to obtain fielding gloves from the likes of Dustin Pedroia, Jon Lester and Jonathan Papelbon. In AA the players are so much closer to the fans than in AAA. When the Sea Dogs came to play in Norwich last year the players have to walk through the stands to get from their locker room to the field. A high school game was going on before there game and I got to sit in the stands and talk to Jonathan Papelbon, Brandon Moss, David Murphy and Hanley Ramirez for about a half hour before they could get on the field. They as questions looking for a good place to eat or something to do after the game and you end up with a couple bats and a hat or 2. Most players will even ask you for a ride to a restaurant or back to the hotel. Nearly all of them make next to nothing so they use their equipment to pay for favors.......Although it is nice to receive these items I enjoy simply hanging out with them and hearing their stories. It is amazing how alot of the players seem suprised that anyone would be interested in them or their career at that level. Many havn't even been out of HS for more than a year. By the time they get to the Major League they realize how every aspect of everything they do is a business including how they handle their game used equipment. At that point it just doesn't seem as fun anymore.

aaccee
05-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi suave1477,

Would you like to sell Wang's items to me?
I am his big fan and really want to collect his items.
Thank you!

Li