PDA

View Full Version : player jersey sizing consistency

mbenga28
01-15-2009, 08:21 AM
do players wear different jersey sizes throughout a given season? sometimes I would see game jerseys from the same year of a player but with different sizes and wanted to know if this is common. and is this also the case with back-up game issued sets? thanks

jppopma
01-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Mbenga, I would not say its common, but yes teams have been known to do this. I'm not sure if they do it to sell them all later, or if players prefer different size jerseys depending on location, weather, or whatever other superstition they have for that day. I have seen team lists before with players having as many as three different sizes listed.

In the end, there are likely alot of bad jerseys that are the wrong size but also some good ones. If the teams are making extras to flood the market though, be careful as to how much use it might have.

larry bourget
01-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Tigers Gary Sheffield consistantly wore size 50 in 2007, now i see size 52 poping up on Tigers Auction.

Also i saw every Tigers home game in 2008, and Magglio Ordonez always wore a knit ultrafil jersey, yet i have seen on Tigers Auction supposedly Magglio 2008 Game Worn Home Cool Base jerseys.

Do your Homework, regardless!

LB

Rob L
01-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I picked up three Troy Percival 2005 jerseys over the last two months. The Tigers wore regular knit jerseys for Spring Training. The home Spring Training jersey is a size 50. The regular season home jersey is a size 52. The interesting thing is that the Road jersey was issued in Spring Training and converted to a regular season jersey. It's a size 52 also.

larry bourget
01-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I picked up three Troy Percival 2005 jerseys over the last two months. The Tigers wore regular knit jerseys for Spring Training. The home Spring Training jersey is a size 50. The regular season home jersey is a size 52. The interesting thing is that the Road jersey was issued in Spring Training and converted to a regular season jersey. It's a size 52 also.

Rob,

i have a few 2005 Tigers jerseys also that the strip tag says ST ( spring training) but the 2005 All Star patch was only worn on the jersey's during regular season. All the 2005 All Star patched jersey's tagged ST were carried over and used in the regular season. I learned that from Steve Graus and Jim Schmakel in 2007.

Also the Tigers 2002 yr. tagged jerseys with the 2001 patches ( 100 yr. MLB, Detroit 300, U.S. Flag) were used only in Spring training.

When you bought from Steve Graus in 2007, you were informed on what you were getting.

LB

jppopma
01-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Larry,

Do you think they just left the patches on and retagged the jerseys to 2002? It seems like that would be alot of work compared to just removing the patches to reuse a 2001 jersey.

For the 2005's do you think they were carried over from Sring Training and used in both, or were they extras or blanks from Spring Training that they added the patch to and didn't change out the tagging?

It's funny that we have this thread about jerseys sizes going on right now, when I just received my Dontrelle Willis jersey from the Tigers...and its size 54!! I guess 6'4" 225 plus liking it baggy adds up.

John

larry bourget
01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Larry,

Do you think they just left the patches on and retagged the jerseys to 2002? It seems like that would be alot of work compared to just removing the patches to reuse a 2001 jersey.

For the 2005's do you think they were carried over from Sring Training and used in both, or were they extras or blanks from Spring Training that they added the patch to and didn't change out the tagging?

It's funny that we have this thread about jerseys sizes going on right now, when I just received my Dontrelle Willis jersey from the Tigers...and its size 54!! I guess 6'4" 225 plus liking it baggy adds up.

John

2002 Question-
No, tagging was all computer paper fibre tags, also during 2001 Detroit wore the special MLB 100 YR. Chartered Member patch, some of the 2002 ST patched had the wrong 100 YR. patch on them. I have a few examples in my collection thanks to Steve Graus.

2005 Question,
the Spring training jerseys were patched for and worn as an extra set for the players, some had a new penned on inventory number on the Majestic jock tag, all the original strip tags remained on the jersey's unless they did not have one to begin with. I have a few examples in my collection, thanks to Steve Graus.

LB