PDA

View Full Version : Day with your Favorite Player

joelsabi
01-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Just wondering how much are you willing to pay to spend some time with your favorite player. I have seen some mlb auctions for meet and greet auctions of players. Then there are golf charities auction where you can play a round with your favorite player. theres also fantasy camps.

Maybe some here have already done this or had an opportunity to spend time with their favorite player(s).

godwulf
01-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Or...how much would you be willing to pay not to spend the day with, say, Barry Bonds? :rolleyes:

I was actually thinking today that I would love to get Greg Colbrunn together with my entire collection of 34 Colbrunn bats (or Matt Williams, with my two dozen+ Williams bats) and just go over each one in turn, getting his help in dating them, talking about which were his favorite models, etc. That's the kind of "quality time" I might be willing to pay some money for.

Having lunch with somebody like that, or playing (yeesh!) golf with them, would be okay, I guess...but I want to talk about The Game and pick their brains about my stuff, more than I want to eat with them, or ride around with them in their car picking up their dry-cleaning.

suave1477
01-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Or...how much would you be willing to pay not to spend the day with, say, Barry Bonds? :rolleyes:

I was actually thinking today that I would love to get Greg Colbrunn together with my entire collection of 34 Colbrunn bats (or Matt Williams, with my two dozen+ Williams bats) and just go over each one in turn, getting his help in dating them, talking about which were his favorite models, etc. That's the kind of "quality time" I might be willing to pay some money for.

Having lunch with somebody like that, or playing (yeesh!) golf with them, would be okay, I guess...but I want to talk about The Game and pick their brains about my stuff, more than I want to eat with them, or ride around with them in their car picking up their dry-cleaning.

Godwulf this couldn't of been said any better.

Yeah the meet and greets and golf tournaments are cool but you don't get actual quality time with the person to really pick there brain in detail.

Meet and greets usually add out to about 5 minutes of shaking someones hand getting to ask them 1 or 2 questions, posing for a picture and getting an autograph.

Golf tournaments usually add up a couple of hours possibly talking about baseball but more concentrating on the game of golf and the player probably standing there thinking "I can't wait to get this over with" and not being able to sit and show the items off to the player that you have collected.

frikativ54
01-14-2009, 08:11 PM
It really depends on whom I would be meeting. As far as my team, the Astros are concerned, I don't know what we'd talk about. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm worth Lance Berkman, Craig Biggio, or Bagwell's time. I did run into Bagwell after a game in Arizona eating with Ausmus, and it was pretty much my Dad introducing me to Jeff Bagwell, my Dad walking away so I could high-five Bagwell for his homer, and chatting with Bags for 2 minutes, before I returned to my table. It was a great experience. But what would I bother him for an afternoon about?

I might like to meet Jim Thome, but again, what's the point of an entire afternoon? I would like to have a few questions answered by some ballplayers, but how many players would talk with me about the stuff I'm interested in (politics, photography, wildlife - not hunting, but taking photographs of local animals like squirrels and raccoons)? If I had to pay money to talk to people, I'd rather talk with a noted author, intellectual, or politician. And many times you can do that for free, as I have in the past, without forking over a dime.

I watch baseball as a diversion, and I love the game, but talking to a baseball player just to talk to him would be a waste of my time and his time as well.

Fnazxc0114
01-14-2009, 08:20 PM
one thing good about the rangers winter caravan is they have q and a sessions with a lot of players. like frik i dont know that i would be into spending a whole afternoon with the players. about the only question i ever had had to with when they get paid. josh hamilton answered for me. they get paid like everyone else on the first and 15th, and they dont get paid during the off season.

nomarmauerfan
01-14-2009, 08:23 PM
If you check the archives, you will find my story on my day meeting my favorite baseball player of all-time, Don Mattingly in February 2008. With the flight, hotel, and autographs, it cost around $1000...and, I wouldn't change it for the world! The Evansville newspaper even wrote a story about it.

Mike

stradermays
01-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I grew up a huge Darrell Porter fan. My grandmother was into ceramics and made a Royal with number 15 Porter on the back. The year on the bottom was 1979. Darrell was a huge baseball card collector and thru a mutual business partner, a private meeting was set for him to come to my house to view my personal card collection in 1994. He signed my figurine (seen in the picture), his book "Snap me Perfect", and he gave me a game used bat. He purchased several thousands in cards and we talked baseball for hours. I had just finished 4 years of college baseball and was hoping for a spring training try out, so we had plenty to talk about. The bad part, we kept in contact for the next 4 or 5 years and as he drifted off, back to his addictions, we lost touch. As you all know, he died from an enlarged heart, a side effect of acute cocaine use, a few years later. While I charished the time I spent with one of my boyhood hero, I also regret seeing him as human. Sometimes heroes should be kept as fantasies in our minds and hearts and worshiped based on how we want them to be, not how they really are.

metsbats
01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
I was fortunate to be able to spend a day on two separate occasions with my favorite 86 Met Ed Hearn. Back in 2004 I drove him from Long Island to Oneonta to a speaking engagement at a Cooperstown baseball camp. That was 6 hours round trip in my minivan, watching him speak, caddying his books for him at the camp, and a free dinner at Brooks BBQ (evidently former baseball players from WS championship teams and their guests don't have to pay for meals:D )

The second time was in 2006 when I was supposed to attend the MLB Bat dinner with him. Unfortunately he wasn't feeling too well that day and he just ended up spending a few hours hanging at my house instead before I drove him back to his hotel near Steiner Headquarters.

We spent most of the time talking about family and life issues. Got a few interesting comical stories about the 86 Mets too.

geoff
01-15-2009, 12:32 AM
He is not my favorite Player but he was a Oriole.Back when I was a Teenager I hung out with Randy Milligan all Day one Day.My GrandFather used to run a overnight Summer Camp and Randy was doing a Paid event at a local Mall for him trying to get Parents and Kids there to Sign up to go to the Camp.Randy was there to Talk Baseball and Sign Autographs with the Parents and there Kids.I remember I sat there all Day next to Randy and we just hung out and talked Baseball and he was even showing me how to swing a Bat and how to Stand in the Batters Box.He had a Bat with him.I am sure now it was one of his Game Used Bats.I should have asked him for the Bat.I remember he signed a few Cards of him I had.My Grandfather also had a Redskin do the same thing the next year.For some reason I did not go to that event.I will never forget that Day.

TriplexXxSports
01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
I drank a considerable amount of Vitamin Water to win the fishing trip with Brian Urlacher. Of course, I never won, but I am healthier now, and with the money well spent, I could of taken a weekend fishing trip in the Ozarks with my old man.

skyking26
01-15-2009, 10:02 AM
I've known my collecting interest, Dave Kingman, since 1992. We have had dinner together upon some of his signing visits in Chicago over the years. Dave's a busy guy, so a "day" probably would not happen, and his interests are hunting and fishing so that puts us in different corners too, but we hung out for 3 hours last March, had dinner and watched college hoops in a hotel bar in Chicago. It is VERY COOL to have that opportunity, and to here a few stories about baseball in the 70's and 80's. I enjoy each minute of it. Dave's a good guy....

frikativ54
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
I've known my collecting interest, Dave Kingman, since 1992. We have had dinner together upon some of his signing visits in Chicago over the years. Dave's a busy guy, so a "day" probably would not happen, and his interests are hunting and fishing so that puts us in different corners too, but we hung out for 3 hours last March, had dinner and watched college hoops in a hotel bar in Chicago. It is VERY COOL to have that opportunity, and to here a few stories about baseball in the 70's and 80's. I enjoy each minute of it. Dave's a good guy....

What's the story behind you knowing Dave Kingman?

joelsabi
01-15-2009, 11:25 AM
While I charished the time I spent with one of my boyhood hero, I also regret seeing him as human. Sometimes heroes should be kept as fantasies in our minds and hearts and worshiped based on how we want them to be, not how they really are.

Now you making me wonder whether I want to meet my favorites or not. Wonder if anyone else shares stradermays sentiments.

frikativ54
01-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Now you making me wonder whether I want to meet my favorites or not. Wonder if anyone else shares stradermays sentiments.

I know exactly what you mean. It's so weird to spend a lot of time following a guy and then to meet him in person. The first time I met Jeff Bagwell, I thought "Wow - he's human!" That's also how I felt when I went to the Bagwell jersey retirement. It was almost as if my memories from Houston would have been better off as just memories of flying into town when I was in 7th grade. It was almost as if I didn't want to revisit them, even though I enjoyed the ceremony.

frikativ54
01-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Instead of my day with a player, I would prefer an interview with that athlete. The kinds of questions I would ask him would be more appropriate for a journalist than someone hanging out with a professional athlete. There's a certain amount of deference you need to show to a ballplayer when you meet him as a public citizen, which is different from interviewing him as a reporter. Anyone else with me?

bigtruck260
01-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Not a penny.

I have had chance meetings with athletes - the most famous being Jurt Warner, and my favorite being Gary Matthews Sr., and they all have been really good suprisingly.

I met Warner at a gas station near Rams Park in Earth City when I worked at a business there. We were at the counter paying at the same time, and though everyone in place was staring at him, he took a second to say hello...mind you this was just after the Rams had won the SuperBowl. Kurt's a great guy, and I will always pull for him. Glad he's doing well this year.

My buddy was having a birthday pary at Robata's at Westport here in STL, and I got there early since I work around the corner - must have been 2003 (?) and this guy sitting next to me strikes up a conversation - and starts complaining about the lack of a TV in the bar area. I informed him that there was no Cards game on - but they were playing the Cubs the following day. I asked if he was a Cards fan - his reply, an enthusiastic 'NO'. Then..."Sh#t, man, I'm the hitting coach for the Chicago Cubs." I looked, but didn't recognize him, so I say - "Lemme see your driver's license"...he says - "Why would I lie about a thing like that?" I say, "What's your name then?" - 'Gary Matthews'. My jaw dropped, because as he said it - I was thinking "SARGE"!

As a kid, I watched every baseball game I could - even the Cubs on WGN and the Mets on WWOR...and, of course the Braves on WTBS. I LOVED Matthews as a kid - he used to flip his helmet off when he got a base hit that required speed...I once flipped my hat off in a little leauge game and was called out.

I told him that story, and how I always thought he was a giant - in all actuality, he wasn't all that big. He seemed to think I was funny because he would not stop laughing.

We talked about the Greatest of all time - Me: Ruth (because he won 100 games as a pitcher) and him: Bonds

I asked him what it's like to coach a guy like Sosa - his reply: "Everyone has holes in their swing."

The funny thing is, we were stinking drunk on sake and Sapporo - and I never asked him for his autograph - never crossed my mind. I'm sure if I ever saw him again, he would know me if I reminded him of that night. We spent about an hour together.

I could never have imagined sitting next to a childhood hero and getting plastered, but it happened - and it was a frickin' CUB! One of the nicest guys I have ever met.

frikativ54
01-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Not a penny.

I have had chance meetings with athletes - the most famous being Jurt Warner, and my favorite being Gary Matthews Sr., and they all have been really good suprisingly.

I met Warner at a gas station near Rams Park in Earth City when I worked at a business there. We were at the counter paying at the same time, and though everyone in place was staring at him, he took a second to say hello...mind you this was just after the Rams had won the SuperBowl. Kurt's a great guy, and I will always pull for him. Glad he's doing well this year.

My buddy was having a birthday pary at Robata's at Westport here in STL, and I got there early since I work around the corner - must have been 2003 (?) and this guy sitting next to me strikes up a conversation - and starts complaining about the lack of a TV in the bar area. I informed him that there was no Cards game on - but they were playing the Cubs the following day. I asked if he was a Cards fan - his reply, an enthusiastic 'NO'. Then..."Sh#t, man, I'm the hitting coach for the Chicago Cubs." I looked, but didn't recognize him, so I say - "Lemme see your driver's license"...he says - "Why would I lie about a thing like that?" I say, "What's your name then?" - 'Gary Matthews'. My jaw dropped, because as he said it - I was thinking "SARGE"!

As a kid, I watched every baseball game I could - even the Cubs on WGN and the Mets on WWOR...and, of course the Braves on WTBS. I LOVED Matthews as a kid - he used to flip his helmet off when he got a base hit that required speed...I once flipped my hat off in a little leauge game and was called out.

I told him that story, and how I always thought he was a giant - in all actuality, he wasn't all that big. He seemed to think I was funny because he would not stop laughing.

We talked about the Greatest of all time - Me: Ruth (because he won 100 games as a pitcher) and him: Bonds

I asked him what it's like to coach a guy like Sosa - his reply: "Everyone has holes in their swing."

The funny thing is, we were stinking drunk on sake and Sapporo - and I never asked him for his autograph - never crossed my mind. I'm sure if I ever saw him again, he would know me if I reminded him of that night. We spent about an hour together.

I could never have imagined sitting next to a childhood hero and getting plastered, but it happened - and it was a frickin' CUB! One of the nicest guys I have ever met.

That's an awesome story. Did you ever get to see is license?

bigtruck260
01-15-2009, 02:18 PM
That's an awesome story. Did you ever get to see is license?

No. I realized it was him as soon as he said who it was.

You have to realize Frik, I live in the 'show me' state....:D

frikativ54
01-15-2009, 02:27 PM
No. I realized it was him as soon as he said who it was.

You have to realize Frik, I live in the 'show me' state....:D

Huh? Missouri?

bigtruck260
01-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Huh? Missouri?

Yup - Missouri is the 'Show Me' state...

skyking26
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
What's the story behind you knowing Dave Kingman?
Kingman was doing a signing as part of the Alumni Association down in FL in March 1992. I was thinking about going down there for vacation and the promoter of the show said since I was such a fan of Kingman he'd set up a meeting. All I had to do was call him once down in FL. I packed up my car in Michigan and headed down with jerseys, bats, etc. Once in FL I called the promoter and he changed his mind and said he was too busy to be bothered putting us together. In the course of the conversation he told me the hotel he was at. Dave and his wife had just had their 3rd child, so his wife was in the room frequently. I identified myself and told her I wanted to meet the big guy and if possible get a few things signed. She encouraged me to continue calling, and I finally got Dave and we arranged a meeting in a sauna-like setting in the parking lot of his hotel at 9:30 on a Sat. morning.

I still remember Dave decending outer stairwell with his 2 daughters in tow. He signed everything I had after introduction and was very quiet, really. After signing everything he got in the hot tub with his daughters. While we were packing he started asking me questions, and then asked me to take some information for him. Minutes later I left with phone, fax, cell information, and was asked to never give it out. Never have... I've kept in touch with him since then...

Kong's Landing
02-12-2009, 12:37 AM

RK's right on here. We don't push baseball talk with Dave unless he brings it up. Possibly a fishing trip out West, but then he'd throw both Skyking & I out of the boat 20 miles off shore.

skyking26
02-12-2009, 02:55 PM
RK's right on here. We don't push baseball talk with Dave unless he brings it up. Possibly a fishing trip out West, but then he'd throw both Skyking & I out of the boat 20 miles off shore.
Hey Landing: Thought I'd communicate here as your wife would not think to check out this site... I'd take the Cubs bag or even the minor league Kong hat in exchange for $ owed. Just throwing options out there!!

RK

Kong's Landing
07-01-2009, 08:40 PM

:D Skyking 26 is right on there as we both have enjoyed Dave's company over the years. Dave knows both of us well and I guess that's a good thing that he has not forgot us totally. With 64 years of combined collecting of the big fella, Skyking26 & I have paid our dues big time over the years and long before the days of EBAY or in that case EMAIL.

Erik Bakalar

Mr.3000
07-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I would love to get to know my fav. player personally and have a chance to meet him, have dinner, exchange emails....etc

Man, that would be incredible!! :eek:

If I had to pick one player....I would have to say Miguel Cabrera.

sahil_kotak
07-02-2009, 12:37 PM
I would have dinner with him ,talk with him for at least three hours or so and then would have an nice autograph and an photograph with him.http://www.pppcm.com/138l1291.jpg

dcrules01
10-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Met Bill Pulsipher after a game.He was playing for the Somerset Patriots and they were having a silent auction to win the jersey they wore that night with all proceeds going to cancer research..Showed him his rookie jersey which he signed and a game used bp. Very nice guy was very gracious.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/pulse.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/pulse010.jpg