PDA

View Full Version : Game Issued Vs. Pro Cut?

suave1477
04-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I beleive this topic may have been discussed before.
I just want to get my facts straight!!!

What is the difference between a Pro Cut Un Used jersey and a Game Issued?

If it is Pro Cut can that mean that it is a replica jersey used for Autograph signings?

pjbmd
04-08-2006, 07:35 PM
The difference for online auction purposes is usually a few hundred bucks!

Nathan
04-09-2006, 09:43 PM
The general standard is as follows:

Pro cut -- A "pro cut" jersey is basically an authentic replica; it is pretty much the same as what gets worn on the field. For a football jersey, this would be one that is the heavier weight with the inserts in the sides, as opposed to the cheaper all-mesh stuff that every 12-year-old has of his favorite player

Game issued -- A game-issued jersey is exactly that; it was issued by the team for a particular player to be used in a game, with the only thing being that it never saw the field of play during a game. Usually a particular player will have a second (or more) jersey hanging in his locker exactly like what is being worn on the field of play at that moment, ready to go in case the primary one is damaged beyond repair, stolen, etc.

There's a few problems with each one. Far too many people will pass off a pro cut as being team-issued even though it quite clearly isn't the case. A QB jersey with lineman sleeves is a great example....of course, all you need is a Lampson LOA on a Favre throwback and voila! Instant gamer!

Another word of caution: MeiGray used the term "game-issued" (at least for hockey) for a jersey that didn't see the ice during an NHL game. That doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't out there for pre-game warmups, so it's entirely possible that a GI jersey has stick and puck marks, nicks, tears, pills, etc.