PDA

View Full Version : Bat Brands

TFig27
01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Just looking at some of my bats and decided to make a list of brands of bats used my Major Leaguers.

Louisville Slugger
Rawlings
BWP
Controlling the Game
Zinger
D-Bat
Cooper
Marucci
Diablo Bats

What other brands are there?

Sluggo
01-12-2009, 09:17 PM
I have a couple Worths in my collection. I think my "Eleanor" is likely to be a Worth if I ever find one.

Brian

suave1477
01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Easton
Sam Bats
Mizuno
Young Bat co
Worth
Akadema
Mattingly
D-Bats
Old Hickory
X Bat
Nike
Hoosier
Glomar
Wilson

and I am sure there are a lot more

BMH
01-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I think there are 31-32 manufacturers. I know there is one less after the email Diablo sent to all the manufacturers and MLB...how we get blamed for everything is beyond me.

The complete list of the approved manufacturer's should be coming out in the next week or two. I hope we make it, they rejected my Maple bat :(

suave1477
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
BMH im sorry to hear that I have some wood in my backyard if you want to try using that lol lol

just kidding:D

redoctober
01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I think there are 31-32 manufacturers. I know there is one less after the email Diablo sent to all the manufacturers and MLB...how we get blamed for everything is beyond me.

The complete list of the approved manufacturer's should be coming out in the next week or two. I hope we make it, they rejected my Maple bat :(

BMH... very curious to hear more to this story. What criteria are there for approved maple bats? For that matter, what criteria is there for approval in general? As technology improves, I am guessing MLB will have decisions to make? (ie- at what point is a wood bat as "strong" as an aluminum bat?)

BMH
01-12-2009, 10:11 PM
There are several new rules in place for Maple this year. Most of it has to do with "Slope of Grain" meaning the angle of the grain in relation to the bat. The grain should go straight from the handle to the barrel. We always allowed a 5 degree slope, MLB has mandated a new 2.8 degree slope. In other words the grain cannot run off more than an inch for every 20 inches of distance. Bats are to be marked on the handles twelve inches from the knob with a black stain to shoe the SoG of the bat. No more full length dark colors for Maple. All bats are to have a clear or no finish handle to show the SoG mark. MLB is also changing the branding. In the past (like um, last month) we branded on the flat grain of the bat and the player hit with the edge grain. MLB has reversed this in an effort to increase flex in Maple bats. You brand on the edge grain and hit with the flat grain. Also all bats are to be marked with a date or code so MLB can trace a bat to a manufacturing date.

As for us, for the past 125yrs we've half dipped bats 16 inches from the handle. MLB rules state it has to be 18 inches from the handle. So I have to make one dipped to the 18in. mark. God I love baseball....

TFig27
01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
There are several new rules in place for Maple this year. Most of it has to do with "Slope of Grain" meaning the angle of the grain in relation to the bat. The grain should go straight from the handle to the barrel. We always allowed a 5 degree slope, MLB has mandated a new 2.8 degree slope. In other words the grain cannot run off more than an inch for every 20 inches of distance. Bats are to be marked on the handles twelve inches from the knob with a black stain to shoe the SoG of the bat. No more full length dark colors for Maple. All bats are to have a clear or no finish handle to show the SoG mark. MLB is also changing the branding. In the past (like um, last month) we branded on the flat grain of the bat and the player hit with the edge grain. MLB has reversed this in an effort to increase flex in Maple bats. You brand on the edge grain and hit with the flat grain. Also all bats are to be marked with a date or code so MLB can trace a bat to a manufacturing date.

As for us, for the past 125yrs we've half dipped bats 16 inches from the handle. MLB rules state it has to be 18 inches from the handle. So I have to make one dipped to the 18in. mark. God I love baseball....

Thanks a lot for the added info. The manufacturing date will definately help collectors.

BMH
01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
I forgot to add, the letter Diablo sent out was very funny. I have it hanging in the wall of my office. I would post it but it uses language that isn't very family oriented toward Roy Krasik (MLB) and Louisville Slugger. I will say it was full of "Christmas cheer".

BMH
01-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks a lot for the added info. The manufacturing date will definately help collectors.

Oh that will help me sleep better at night:p

Once we get everything in place it will be pretty neat. For right now to just get by we're stamping dates in the knob like "1129" until our laser is completed...I've always wanted to take a plasma cutter to a $80,000 laser. Once the software is finished we will be engraving the date, player number (only on regular season bats, no ST bats), length and "requested" weight.

I've done a couple of orders for the Giants so far as proof of concept so that should really screw with the EM and players:D They look really good.

earlywynnfan
01-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Kissimmee Stix
What was the one with the fish logo? It was awesome, Knoblauch used a couple.

Old-time styles:
Krens
Hanna
Spalding.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

earlywynnfan
01-12-2009, 10:21 PM
and also Mighty Bats

Ken

TFig27
01-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Oh that will help me sleep better at night:p

Once we get everything in place it will be pretty neat. For right now to just get by we're stamping dates in the knob like "1129" until our laser is completed...I've always wanted to take a plasma cutter to a $80,000 laser. Once the software is finished we will be engraving the date, player number (only on regular season bats, no ST bats), length and "requested" weight.

I've done a couple of orders for the Giants so far as proof of concept so that should really screw with the EM and players:D They look really good.

I am glad you can sleep better now. Dreams of dated bats dancing in your head.

Any pics of the Giants bats? :D

redoctober
01-12-2009, 10:51 PM

Is there really that much difference in the flex between edge gain vs flat grain?? If so, is this off-set by any weakening from branding. Is it possible that some players may look for an edge by trying to hit on the brand with these maple bats?

Capital-Sports
01-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Barnstable Bat company used to have a fish in their logo

Capital-Sports
01-12-2009, 10:55 PM
KC Slammer is another one.....not sure if their still around these days

BMH
01-12-2009, 11:53 PM
With almost all companies using a sticker or pad printing for the CB there isn't any weakening of the bat. The new rules are to help limit the amount of multi piece failures that we've seen on TV for the past couple of years. The flex argument is one I made during the meetings with MLB. We ran some test in the Dominican and it was inconclusive as to hitting power from the flat or edge grain.

Ash bats will be made in the same way as they were before.

There is an increase in fees too, $10,000 yearly and at least $10,000,000 insurance coverage. Oh, the price of Maple bats is likely to double...not that most Pro players will care, but the minor guys who buy their own are not going to be happy.

metsbats
01-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Kissimmee Stix
What was the one with the fish logo? It was awesome, Knoblauch used a couple.

Old-time styles:
Krens
Hanna
Spalding.

Ken

I think it was Sticks by Stan.

metsbats
01-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Barnstable Bat company used to have a fish in their logo

Yeah that's right. Not sure why I thought it was sticks by stan.

Thanks!

59FIFTY
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
B45 bats, Old Hickory are 2 more.

bigtruck260
01-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Route 66
Nokona Bats
Adakema

Sluggo
01-13-2009, 02:35 PM
BMH:

Are you guys still looking into Beechwood? What will it cost per unit compared to Maple and Ash?

Thanks

momen55
01-13-2009, 03:07 PM
trinity
maxbats
kr3 bats(used to be cooper)
bwp

BMH
01-13-2009, 07:37 PM
It will be interesting to see who is going to continue to make Pro Maple bats this year. With the increased fees and new rules it's going to be expensive especially for those who don't cut their own wood. All paperwork requirements, bat samples and compliance papers must be in by the 15th. Yet the class on how to grade using the new Maple requirements isn't until the 21st. We've already had our training and we're losing about 20% of our Maple. Not too hateful, but should justify a price hike. I'll get a list of who shows up for the training meeting in Chicago. Bill Steele called to meet up for drinks and I thought that was a terrific idea.

BMH
01-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Beech is also under the same rules as Maple so there will be adjustments to the grading and costs.

tbone90
01-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Tomcat bats also. They never seemed to get very popular with the big leaguers but I have two in my collection (Ruben Sierra and Corey Koskie).

earlywynnfan
01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Tomcat bats also. They never seemed to get very popular with the big leaguers but I have two in my collection (Ruben Sierra and Corey Koskie).

Good one, my Manny Tomcat bat is one of my favorites!

Ken

island_style
01-16-2009, 03:56 AM
Carolina Clubs

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com