PDA

View Full Version : Collecting outside your FANHOOD!!!!

jetersbatboy
01-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Not even sure if FANHOOD is a term, but pretty sure most will know what I mean. I am a huge Yankees fan, and have bin for as long as I can remember. But lately I find myself selling off a lot of my Yankees GU gear, even from my favorite Yankee in Jeter. This is to feed my Ichiro collecting. I find it more fun to collect Ichiro, his GU gear seems to be a great deal hard to find, with makes it a lot more rewarding to get something new of his. After all isn't a hobby about having fun? I am torn between being a faithful Yankees fan and the fun of game used collecting. Has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone share there opinion. Can I be both a Yankees fan and a GU collector who loves to collect outside his FANHOOD?

Rboitano
01-10-2009, 10:41 PM
I agree. I was big into collecting Arod game used bats. I had 10 of them at one time. But then I realized that there is nothing rare or even unique about Arod items. They are a dime a dozen. I had always persued Mcgwire bats, but top quality bats are rarely ever offered. But this past year I picked up four perfect Mac bats. I started to sell of and trade some of my Arod bats to make funds for more Mcgwire bats. It is alot more rewarding to me to wait and find a really nice Mcgwire bat, it could take a long time but eventually something nice will show.

AWA85
01-10-2009, 10:42 PM
This is something I have been running into. I have always stuck strictly to Cincinnati Reds game used items, but now I am a point where I am thinking about reasonable prices Hall Of Fame bats. Not sure how I would feel if I ever ended up adding a Cubs bat or something like that to my collection, maybe I should just stick to my Reds. :D

grenda12
01-10-2009, 10:52 PM
This is something I have been running into. I have always stuck strictly to Cincinnati Reds game used items, but now I am a point where I am thinking about reasonable prices Hall Of Fame bats. Not sure how I would feel if I ever ended up adding a Cubs bat or something like that to my collection, maybe I should just stick to my Reds. :D

Whatever you do stay away from the Cubs!!!

markize
01-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Scott,

I ran into this at the end of last years MLB season. I too am a lifelong Yankee fan, and when they were out of playoff contention, I was rooting hard for the Cubs so I could possibly get my hands on a Soriano world series bat. You don't have to change who you root for to collect what you like. I chase that rare Ichiro!

Mark

markize
01-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Oops..... I meant, I say chase that rare Ichiro

frikativ54
01-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Looks like you can sell off some of your A-Rods, since it looks like there's a lot of his g/u items out there. That should help get Ichiro items. Check MLB.com Auctions as well; from time to time, they have neat Ichiro collector's items.

Dewey2007
01-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't necessarily collect players from my favorite teams but instead try and collect guys from my hometown and some that went to the college I work at. I went outside of this when I picked up a Rickey Henderson and a couple of Darryl Strawberry bats. They were favorite players of mine in the 80's so I wanted to have bats of them for my collection although they don't necessarily "fit". It was more of a nostalgia thing for me. I say collect whatever you want as long it makes you happy!!

dcrules01
01-10-2009, 11:26 PM
I revamped my collection from all newer Mets items to late 70's early 80's.Sold alot of the newer stuff and started from scratch.It;s amazin if I wanna spend the money on David Wright my favorite on the team his items are not rare except his 2004 Futures game jersey or a rookie bat.But I have been looking for a Joel Youngblood or Doug Flynn Mets gamer since I started collecting 3 years ago.I was fortunate to get an Expos Gamer from 84 for Flynn and his ceremony jersey but still no 79 80 or 81 gamer.So where are they ..Help :D

jetersbatboy
01-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys for the input.

Mark was that a froyden slip there! :D

dcrules01
01-10-2009, 11:30 PM
If I were to collect outside it would probably be Expos/Nationals,Pirates late 70's Reds seems to be alot of collectors plus Flynn and Youngblood played for the Reds and Expos or post 9-11 jerseys in 2001.

markize
01-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Scott,

Nah, I wouldn't do that to you! Did you find the info on the Ichiro jersey in the email I sent you? I hope it pans out for you.

Mark

jetersbatboy
01-10-2009, 11:43 PM
I started to collect Ichiro because he is Japanese and will probably be the greatest Japanese born baseball player ever. Being of Japanese ancestry, it made me want his stuff. After getting a few items I realized it was the most fun I had collecting. The trill of the chase the reward of finally getting a new piece for my collection. That for is why I like to collect Ichiro.

jetersbatboy
01-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Mark, I got the email, but the lot number was for a past auction. Thanks again for the heads up.
Scott

markize
01-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Scott,

Really, the email said it was for the spring auction in April. I will have to re-check.

Mark

jetersbatboy
01-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Anyone want to buy a Jeter bat so I can buy a Ichiro jersey!!!;)

godwulf
01-11-2009, 02:27 AM
My greatest interest is, and always will be, in Diamondbacks items, mainly bats...but if I really like and admire a DBacks player, I'll also go after his bats, occasionally a jersey, from teams he played on prior to, and sometimes even after his DBacks service.

Luis Gonzalez, for example - I have seven of his Diamondbacks bats, but I've also picked up, over the years, two Astros, three Cubs, one Detroit, two Dodgers, and a Marlins...bats, in other words, from every Major League team he's played on. With players that I'm not particularly enamored of, or who only played for us very briefly, I would be less likely to do something like that.

beavisrules
01-11-2009, 02:56 PM
99% of the time, I wouldn't go near a Michigan or USC item. There has been one exception - I got my hands on one of the USC Heisman trophy winner signed footballs, back when I was contemplating collecting one for each school. But then when I touched the football, I got a severe allergic reaction and sold it immediately :D - must have been that ugly USC logo.

suave1477
01-11-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't necessarily collect players from my favorite teams but instead try and collect guys from my hometown and some that went to the college I work at. I went outside of this when I picked up a Rickey Henderson and a couple of Darryl Strawberry bats. They were favorite players of mine in the 80's so I wanted to have bats of them for my collection although they don't necessarily "fit". It was more of a nostalgia thing for me. I say collect whatever you want as long it makes you happy!!

Dewey can you post pics of your Strawberry bats or email me pics of them.
Thank you.

suave1477@yahoo.com

yanks12025
01-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Well im a huge yankee fan also and for some reason in my collection i have more game used items of others players from other teams. Two of my best items come from teams that the yankees are rivals with, Jose Reyes 2007 game worn jersey and a Jason Bay game used red sox bat used to hit 3 homeruns(Don't worry i still hate everything to do with Boston).

But my number one item is a yankee item, 1926 yankee team signed ball with Ruth,Gehrig,Lazzeri and a very faded Millar Huggins.

suave1477
01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Yanks burn the Jose Reyes & use the Jason bay bat for firewood lol lol:D

jgoldstein2000
01-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Well im a huge yankee fan also and for some reason in my collection i have more game used items of others players from other teams. Two of my best items come from teams that the yankees are rivals with, Jose Reyes 2007 game worn jersey and a Jason Bay game used red sox bat used to hit 3 homeruns(Don't worry i still hate everything to do with Boston).

But my number one item is a yankee item, 1926 yankee team signed ball with Ruth,Gehrig,Lazzeri and a very faded Millar Huggins.

Is the bay bat for sale?

jgoldstein2000@mac.com